Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Yay my thread title :kimchi:

Headed home now, so hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
This game is delightfully difficult if you do a fresh expert character. Really makes you think carefully about your actions and it DOES give me that "gently caress GOD DAMNIT I CAN DO THIS" that dark souls always gave me. 11/10 would smash face into enemies endlessly again.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Nuebot posted:

Yeah granite biomes are rough, especially early on since just being near them causes unlimited waves of granite golems and elementals to spawn. I got penned into an abandoned shack under ground for like twenty minutes just slowly pecking away at like fifty golems earlier. The mine cart tracks are rad though and I kind of want to see how far you can take them, like is there a limit on how vertical you can build with them and whatnot. My only issue with them is that I can't figure out how to get off of the tracks once I get on without breaking the track I'm on.

Right click the buff off of your character. That's what I've been doing (it's horribly inefficient). That and jumping off the tracks onto another solid surface.

In regards to expert mode, I'm really thinking it's designed for pushing the absolute limit of your character's builds. Looking at the final boss, I can't even fathom how on earth you could possibly stay alive against it in expert. I think I'm going to keep on soldiering through my expert playthrough and trying to get my health up higher. I took some time to do a little fishing and got the Reaver Shark and a Swordfish, both exceptionally useful items for my 160 health rear end. I found one of the "sword shrines" but my sword was a fake, and it broke into nothingness. Heads up If you see a 1x1 hole in your overworld, mine down into it and see if your sword shrine is legit or not.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Just one shot Skeletron in expert. A simple arena with heart lantern and bonfire combined with basic buffs yielded a clean kill. There isn't anything special in the expert dungeon right? I'm going to need to go to another world to get abeemonation materials but oh well.

I'm using ranged gear right now, switching between a minishark for bosses and shotgun for mobs. I've been lucky with reforges on accessories and have 3/5 warding with the others armored and hard. That 6th slot is going to be incredible.

Any tips for expert wall of flesh? Beenades and what else?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Copycat Zero posted:

My guess would be that you can't teleport away anymore.

Or a similar thing as the wall of flesh I.E. you die if you teleport away.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

RatHat posted:

If I want to make a deathweed farm I have to surround it with some uncorruptable material to keep it from spreading right?

EDIT: Will it spread if it's in a planter box?

Much like a pot, deathweed will not spread corruption from a planter.

EFB

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Just found a fantastic use for the Xenopopper: Wrecking Plantera due to the delay in the shots. I was worried because of how much of a cluster the fight can be regarding targets. The delay is perfect and subsequently wrecks despite all of the plants.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Damage from spikes now checks for immunity separately from other effects.

RIP honey bath with a spike in it for bosses. Good thing I've been ramping up my circle strafe game :shepicide:

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm not sure what to do for hardmode gear as a mage early on. Right now I'm still running around in my jungle armour which has been fine for exploring but up against bosses it required a lot of potion chugging (skeletron prime) or outright got me killed (destroyer). I'm not sure what to upgrade too though that will actually provide a significant defense boost while also providing mage stats though. Should I just hold out for hallow armour from the bosses?

Also once you kill a mechanical boss do they ever show up again without being summoned?

Not to my knowledge on the respawning thing.

Hardmode is really all about dealing with what you get. If you got a great ranged weapon, go with that. You're going to want some kind of armor unless you're capable of killing any of the mechanical bosses. Cobalt is mostly a sidegrade and mythril and adamantium are really where you want to be headed. Honestly though, farm up some wings ASAP and get used to circle strafing and whatnot. I'm pretty sure you can put the witch doctor in a jungle house and he'll sell jungle wings for a plat or 2 and those will last you for a long time. Your health pool isn't necessarily to tank things (especially if you're on expert), it's to cover up mistakes in dodging things. Anywhere you wind up fighting a boss at, you want a campfire and heart lamp in the area giving your their buffs. Use whatever pots will help you (ironskin + regen + well fed is required for nearly everything) and pot early and pot often.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Metrohunter posted:

I don't think it did as much damage as the other specs when comparing top end gear, the advantage was that pretty much all your damage became autonomous so you could focus 100% on doing other things like not dying instead of worrying about being in melee range or getting a good aim for your gun/magic/thrown stuff

Oh you mean like spamming Chlorophyte bullets? Or using the Terrarian?

Good to see the terraria team is ever so fond of kneejerk reactions to fun and different playstyles. Literally the only difference between running around while your dragon wrecks poo poo and holding down the mouse button with chlorophyte bullets is that you have to aim in the general direction with the bullets. I suppose it was bound to happen though, cells shall reign supreme I suppose.

I'm pretty sure the dragon was still behind the curve on damage potential as-is, so I guess if you like being a summoner you're doomed to not-expert or something.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Acne Rain posted:

I kinda prefer the terrablade because its projectile penetrates more mobs, though I have not tried influx waver against a boss.

Influx Waver is a fantastic fire and forget weapon, plus it sheds a LOT of light. Nothing compared to Solar weapons but hey, it's still fun. And will last your pure melee styles until you get a star wrath or meowmere.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Xenaero posted:

For a new run, is there anything I should bring over with me, or should I start BAREBONES

Endless Water Bucket, seeds for all plants, best fishing rod, any crafting stations that are RNG dependent (extractionator for instance), light pet, and maybe a grappling hook.

I'd stray away from things like strong accessories or wings because those can largely invalidate a lot of progress.

The bucket helps when you have a fishing quest in a biome with no good fishing areas, seeds for plants let you start growing poo poo early, the best fishing rod makes it so you can just make a hole in the ground, throw water in it, and fish successfully, bullshit random crafting stations are just nice for simplicity sake, a pet light alleviates the need for so many torches (still good to have them), and a grappling hook just prevents you from needing to make a shitload of platforms early on.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd bring over quality of life stuff; architect pack, a good pick, money trough, cell phone, etc. Stuff that doesn't give you a massive combat advantage but will make the other aspects of the game, particularly building and digging, actually tolerable.

I'll echo this too, the architect pack is fantastic, the money trough lets you carry vitals around with you, the cell phone is just handy, and a good pick (so long as you don't abuse it) can really make the early game much more enjoyable.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Spooky Armor is much better than the Tiki armor too isn't it? You get less summons but you have significantly more damage. Using dragon staff + spooky armor and then the tiki necklace, avenger emblem, papyrus scroll(?), beetle wings, ankh shield (sometimes swapped for worm scarf), and frostspark boots. It seems to do decently but holy poo poo the moon lord just blows me away, especially when his big fuckoff beam cannon fires.

If you have 100 damage per minion, and 6 minions, 1 more minion is 700 damage, and 600 * 1.25 is 750. More minions is better when you have fewer, more damage is better when you have more minions. That... sounded weird.

code:
Number of Minions | Damage Per Minion | Total + 1 Minion | Total + 25% damage
1                   100                 200                125
2                   100                 300                250
3                   100                 400                375
4                   100                 500                500 Break Even
5                   100                 600                625
6                   100                 700                750
7                   100                 800                875
Fairly sure the dragon doesn't scale linearly with more segments anyway so more damage would be king.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Amperor posted:

I had some neat water and cave features near my spawn, so I tried to build into it more than my previous efforts.

Nothing super-fancy, but I think I made some fun choices. I built my mushroom farm too close to my witch doctor's house though, so it's showing up as mushroom biome instead of jungle. I particularly dig the mechanic's house and my alchemy lab (inspired by a post earlier in this thread!).

I love the skeleton in the attic of the mechanic's house. Subtle.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
1.3.4 just dropped. Here's the notes:

Change log:
Features

Dungeon Defenders 2 Cross-Over Invasion Invasion event featuring enemies, weapons, and gameplay mechanics inspired by Etheria - the Dungeon Defenders 2 universe. This event will play like no other in Terraria - featuring a brand new mechanic where you protect an artifact from invading enemies with the help of a unique defensive structure system. Multi-tiered event allows players at multiple points in the game to experience scaling difficulty, with corresponding loot. Enjoy rewards in the form of armor, weapons, pets and more, all straight from the Dungeon Defenders 2 universe!

The Tavernkeep, a new NPC from the Dungeon Defenders universe, has arrived. He will be offering a variety of Etherian loot and gear in exchange for an exclusive currency earned by playing the new invasion!

Completely redesigned liquid visuals. Enjoy the ripples and waves, as the player, enemies, and projectiles now have a visible impact when they enter and move through water

The Blizzard weather event now has a new, unique ambient sound when active

Toggles for recently-added visual and water effects that will allow players to balance beautiful visuals and performance to fit their preferences

A new ability for Summoner players to direct their minions to attack a specific target

An experimental new world seed feature (This will be inactive by default, see below in the Changes section for more details)

New Items

Four new sentry summons, each of which has three tiers of potency

Ten new weapons

Eight new armor sets

Five new accessories

Two new pets

One new light pet

Three new boss masks and trophies

Two new decorate furniture items

One brand new “Personal Safe” style furniture item, in the style of the Piggy Bank and Safe

A brand new currency which can be spent with the Tavernkeep for much of the above

New Enemies

Ten new enemies, many of which can become visibly (and mechanically) more powerful as gameplay progresses

Two new invasion style mini-bosses

One new boss

Other

One new soundtrack based on the Dungeon Defenders 2 OST, complete with a matching Music Box

Over 200 new sound effects inspired and adapted from Dungeon Defenders 2

Changes

The way Sentry Summons function has been changed somewhat. Outside of the DD2 Invasion event, you now have a limit of one sentry summon at a time. Some of the 1.3.4 content can increase this limit. Unlike before, when the sentry limit is above 1, you can summon multiple versions of the same sentry. For instance, with a sentry limit of 3, you could summon 3 Frost Hydras at the same time.

Summoners can now direct their minions to attack a specific target of their choosing. To do this, the summoner must Right Click over an enemy while holding a minion summoning staff.

Minions with line of sight on that enemy will target it immediately. However, if the minions do not have line of sight, they will continue to attack targets at random.

We’ve added an experimental new seed feature to World generation. All worlds generated in 1.3.4 and beyond will have a seed attached to them. You will also be able to set the seed for a world on world generation. PLEASE NOTE that this feature is not active by default. To activate it, please follow these steps:

Find Terraria’s config.json file. On Windows, this should be found in Documents>My Games>Terraria.

Open the config file with a basic text editing program, such as Notepad.

The 12th line in the config file is labeled "UseExperimentalFeatures" and will be set to "false”".

Simply change this to “true” and save the config.json file. The next time you launch Terraria, the option to view and set world seeds will appear.

Please be aware that this is NOT a retroactive feature, and cannot display the seeds for worlds created before 1.3.4, as the data is simply not stored there. Additionally, you must run launch

Terraria in 1.3.4 before the option will appear in the config file.

It no longer rains in the space biome.

Bug Fixes

Fix for AMD Graphics Card related issue involving Living Flame Dye.

Fixed edges of screen getting inverted colors during a blizzard

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Just chiming on to say that mod pack (sans that lovely tech mod) has really breathed new life into terraria. This coming from someone with roughly 1.6k hours in vanilla that had solid plans all around. Now with all the new poo poo, I'm trying to use mostly mod weapons and armor while playing through a logical progression thanks to the boss checklist.

I should also mention that I'm doing expert, so thankfully I'm just adjusting as I go. I have something like 20 npcs already and have only killed thunderbird and king slime. Working on an arena for the Desert Scourge right now. I crafted an arkhalis mostly for the light and ease of use. I need to do more spelunking for gems and make the magicite staff (since I lucked out and ran into an amber crawler near the beginning of the game).

I'll go ahead and share a bit of a bug that I've heavily been abusing:

If you have Summons out and switch to a weapon with mod added effects (i.e. 41% chance to cursed inferno target) the Summons inherit your effect. Now, if you have a really good effect on your summon weapon, then you're married to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Asehujiko posted:

How do I use large world enabler for terracustom? I can still only choose the default options. I assume I can enable it through the "keep previous custom size" thing but where can I actually set those?

One of the options on terracustom lets you adjust world width and height sliders.