Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Luceid posted:

So does expert mode have any unique loot or what, because the damage is pretty wild for a new character to deal with!!

Yes! Bosses drop a treasure bag with a unique item in it (seems to be one item per boss, unless I got really unlucky). Both people in my game got the item when I opened the treasure bag, which is rad. Either that or it dropped two bags and I didn't notice.

The Eye of Cthulhu's expert mode drop is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

S.T.C.A. posted:

1) Can I convert an existing world to Expert Mode?

2) Does Expert Mode have its own Hard Mode?

No.

Yes. Expert mode is just a more difficult version of the normal progression.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tamayachi posted:

Regarding first tier pickaxes, if you have the Crimson on your world you can just farm up 15 Vertebrae from the monsters in it and then craft the spine to summon the Brain. He'll drop a ton of Crimtane Ore and Flesh that you can craft into a Meteorite and Crimson block smashing pickaxe.

You can do this with the Eater as well, it's just a bit more annoying to farm up the summon item since you need a bunch of vile mushrooms.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tamayachi posted:

From what it sounds like, even a fresh character will do fine if you beeline into fishing at the start of expert to get some decent equipment.

Can confirm that fishing owns. I took a break from normal progression to try it out and ended up with a mount and hermes boots (which I hadn't been able to find previously) within the first five quests. Of course, getting to the ocean to wake up the angler can be a hassle on a 100% fresh character, but it's not unmanageable.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Mzbundifund posted:

Bee armor is hilarious but it's getting really weak and we just started hard mode. What's the next armor we should be looking for to raise the number of minions?

Spider armor, which is made from fangs that drop in hard mode spider nests.
e: didn't notice a new page :saddowns:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Supremezero posted:

None of the Yoyos are worth crafting. The good ones are all drops.

The jungle yoyo is absolutely worth crafting, unless your traveling merchant had a Code 1 in stock early on. Surviving the jungle long enough to get the materials isn't very hard and it's an excellent weapon all the way up to the dungeon, when you can find one that's better.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

TWIST FIST posted:

no you are

with all other hooks you need to wait for the first hook to retract or hit a wall before you can launch a second one. the dual hook and the web slinger are the only exceptions, i think, and the dual hook cant actually connect to two different points at once

so the web slinger is actually pretty unique that way

It's still too short to be useful IMO. Cool but not very good at helping you get around. I got a web slinger and a slime hook and was disappointed when they were both worse than my ivy whip :(

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I think I've had all of one world since 1.1 that didn't have the Hallow completely neutralized by spawning on top of the jungle. Even better, this time the entire underground Hallow is covered by jungle too.

I just want to have a fancy unicorn land :(

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

So, after some rough spots the minion playstyle is really starting to shine now. Took on the mech bosses with my spider friends (and a yoyo, because hot drat the yoyo bag is too good), then made an optic staff and and eyeballed Plantera to death until it gave me a pygmy staff. Now I have half a dozen tiny spear-chuckers following me around and everything is wonderful. :allears:

Internet Kraken posted:

I've literally never seen one of these and spent a ton of time underground with battle potions on trying to get a nymph to spawn. Weird.

Anyways, I finally dug down into hell. My little brother managed to do this within his first 10 minutes of exploring;

He panic teleported away and instagibbed himself. I wasn't there so no problem for now, but he's gonna wanna kill it eventually so now I guess I should start prepping for hard mode. I've never done it before. Is there anything you should absolutely do before starting hardmode? For prep I was gonna dig a line between crimson altars to smash them and also set up a jungle house for the witch doctor so I can buy wings right at the start. Other than that I know basically nothing.

Consider setting up a greenhouse. Alchemy is much more likely to be a difference-maker in hardmode, IMO. Something I like to do but really isn't necessary is migrate all my NPCs into a floating fortress so that they don't get harassed by mobs all the time. I've had occasional problems with wraiths otherwise. Other than that, you've got the essentials down. Being able to smash altars quickly is important so you can minimize the time you spend getting pummeled in your suddenly lovely pre-hardmode armor.

e: also, that screenshot is adorable and playing with your little brother sounds awesome

edit again: totally forgot - if you're using a yoyo, hunt down the skeleton merchant as soon as you can survive the hardmode caves well enough. The yoyo glove (and by extension, the yoyo bag) is super good.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 12, 2015

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

President Ark posted:

Not that, I meant that orange-brown tile you have as the roof to the right of it.

I'm pretty sure that's palm wood, from trees on the beach.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

VodeAndreas posted:

What do you guys use for your late game exploring accessories? I don't mean what do you use for expert Plantera but when you're just going for a quick trip to hell for some groceries.

Wings are a given, and I'm assuming most people have or want lava waders and frostspark boots, what about your other slot(s)?

I can't remember the exact name but I combined the sun and moon amulets into the Celestial one which gives an always on stat boost which seems nice. Means I can't use my yo yo bag though.

Last slot is obsidian shield.

Wings, boots, and shield are all never gonna get unequipped, it seems. Which leaves me with two flex slots since I'm not playing on expert; currently I'm using a yoyo bag (too goddamn good even as a summoner) and the +1 minion necklace you can buy from the Witch Doctor. I'll probably swap the minion necklace out for the celestial stone you mentioned, though. Especially if I can get a moon charm to upgrade it again.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Section Z posted:

In the beginning! Sand was a free flowing substance where digging through it made you basically go for a fun ride down the sliding pile. This also knocked loose any ore that was inside the sand, so "sand surfing" it was both fun to do and effective for mining.

The devs looked upon this thing everybody enjoyed, and decided that was no good. Removing the ability to get ore from sand.

EDIT: I think the first way they did this was kludging it so ore was still in sand, but trying to dig it out merely destroyed it, or some other "We gotta put a stop to this, right NOW!" patchwork job,

Starting a long tradition of the Starbound devs not knowing what made (or could make) their game fun, from what I remember. Such a shame, that game was a fantastic idea on paper. I'll give it another look if/when they're "finished" though.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I have some questions about the lunar event.

- If/when I kill the cultist boss again, will the pillars spawn in the same places as before? The solar pillar is right above a watery jungle area and it's making it a huge pain in the rear end to fight there. I'll need to do some construction there if it's gonna be there every time.
- Does the amount of enemies you need to kill to remove the pillar's shield reset if you die? (or if everyone dies in multiplayer)
- gently caress the solar pillar enemies holy poo poo

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Blackheart posted:

I loving love sticky dynamite.

Yeah while killing to get my bone wand I got like three nazars. Is it really the hard to get part of the ankh stuff?

It super is if you don't farm for it pre-hardmode. Cursed skulls spawn pretty drat infrequently in the hardmode dungeon.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

So what's the most minions you can have without temporary buffs? 8? 9? I'm dreaming of a not-tiny stardust dragon and 4 or so stardust cells as backup.

Of course, I'll have to beat the moon lord a couple of times first :negative:

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm not sure what to do for hardmode gear as a mage early on. Right now I'm still running around in my jungle armour which has been fine for exploring but up against bosses it required a lot of potion chugging (skeletron prime) or outright got me killed (destroyer). I'm not sure what to upgrade too though that will actually provide a significant defense boost while also providing mage stats though. Should I just hold out for hallow armour from the bosses?

Also once you kill a mechanical boss do they ever show up again without being summoned?

Cobalt or palladium, whichever your world has, will be a defense upgrade and you can choose what set bonus you get by crafting one of the three different helmets. From there it's mythril (orichalcum) -> adamantite (titanium) -> hallowed. Most people would probably recommend having adamantite or titanium armor for fighting the mech bosses. Especially the Twins, gently caress those guys :argh:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I think all you miss out on in that case is the crimson chest in the dungeon, so no vampire knives. Oh, and the items you get from breaking the heart-orbs, but technically you can get those from fishing up crimson crates.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Qylvaran posted:

Man, 17 Stardust Fragments. This means I have to beat the Nebula Pillar before I can make one of the summon items. Stardust Dragon is my best option, right?

For boss fighting, absolutely without question yes. For large groups of enemies or general spelunking, I actually prefer the stardust cells. If there are a ton of enemies around, the dragon tends to stay in (or just off the edge of) one part of the screen for a while, leaving you open to attacks from the other side. Doesn't really happen with 8+ cells wandering around.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Mzbundifund posted:

Why would ash make the wall an easier target than dirt would?

I wondered the same thing, and according to the wiki the Wall's vertical position is determined by nearby ash blocks (or lack thereof). It says if your flat highway is made of ash, the Wall won't move up or down.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The Lone Badger posted:

It doesn't penetrate blocks, so a roof over your head blocks it.
Switchable (actuated) shields may be useful.

I didn't know this, and dealt with it by flying over his head to the other side as soon as the laser started. UFO mount probably required.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Spears (dark lance), flails, and yo-yos are all melee and can handle the Wall well enough. Harder than a really good gun or strong magic? Sure, but nowhere near impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Lmao. I wandered into the underground desert, saw a thing I'd never seen before - hey, neat, a round cactus. Tried to mine it, and before I could really react it just started rolling and killed my rear end.

I was laughing too much to even be annoyed.