Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Started a new world and characters in Expert with some friends.

Seen some new enemies, some new items so far.

Then it started raining goddamn slimes.

And King Slime awoke. The best armor anyone had yet was lead. It was a massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Amazing. How did you get the honey to flow like that? I assume it's infinite. Every guide for it in this game has huge complicated set ups

Half-blocks create a waterfall effect, so you can build a pool, hammer the edges, and presto, instant cascades!

Also re: Expert mode a couple friends and I have hit a wall with Queen Bee and Skeletron. We made all-new characters in a brand new world but by the first day we had beaten Eye of Cthulu and Brain of Cthulu. Two of my friends have Meteor Armor and the Space Gun and I had Crimtane Armor and the Minishark with Meteor Bullets. Queen Bee flies all over and takes reduced damage at a certain point and then flew off when we had her down to like 500 health and Skeletron's just much more vicious. Since I'm the only one with any real Terraria experience I made sure to give everyone cooked fish and Ironskin potions before the fights, set up platform arenas and put campfires and heart lanterns around but it's just not enough. The wiki hasn't really been updated with any tips for Expert mode bosses so does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to just say "gently caress it" and get my main character with full Spectre Armor, the Bat Staff, Raven Staff, and Magnet Sphere.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Kizurue posted:

Just picked this up today and spent a few hours cave diving and collecting ores. What type of weapons/armor should I be going for? I see a lot of love for yoyos but have yet to find one and am currently using a 18 damage ice boomerang.

Also is there any way to reroll a item of you got a crap prefix on it?

Weapons/Armor have a natural progression for most of the game. Basically, when you find something new ore or material-wise, it's PROBABLY going to be better than what you have; talk to the guide to see what kind of weapons and armor you can make from new items and how much of it/other components you'll need. It'll also tell you the armor/damage rating. You don't need to worry about specific sets until the second half of hardmode, I'd say, just that your helmet, breastplate, and greaves are made from the same stuff so you get an armor set bonus.

As to yo-yos you can make one with wood and cobwebs but it'll be worse than your current item. If you have any Crimtane/Demonite Bars you can make one that does about the same amount of damage. A straight upgrade in damage will require either Jungle components for the Amazon or to get lucky with a Traveling Merchant for the Code 1.

Edit: And you can't reroll an item as-is. To get a better modifier you either need to find/make a new item or rescue the Goblin Tinkerer, who spawns in the Underground once you beat a Goblin Invasion. Once free he has an option to reforge your weapons and accessories, but at a price! The higher the rarity and better the current modifier the more expensive it'll be. And it's basically a chance roll, your item can turn out worse, better, or the same.

Nuebot posted:

Regarding Expert Mode: this might be a really weird suggestion but have you killed the king slime yet?

Yeah we have, but Skeletron and Queen Bee move around too much and they go through blocks and resist knockback, so they'll just go through you and/or keep shooting bees at you. Plus Skeletron's head takes reduced damage (I'm theorizing) as long as his hands are still intact, and those things flail all over.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 2, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

RatHat posted:

Were old worlds purged at some point? Booted this back up after a couple of years and my world was gone.

Anyway since I'm starting new again I've got a few questions.

- Are invasion events still almost impossible to solo(and get to the end)?
- Does the developer still like to nerf anything remotely powerful/popular?
- What is the earliest hook, wings, and mount you can get?

I don't believe worlds have been purged. I still have mine from a couple years ago, dunno if you lost yours with a new computer or if they were not properly uploaded to the cloud or you uninstalled at some point and reinstalled.

-No, with a proper set-up (the tower with lava pits method) most invasion events aren't horrifically difficult. There are more enemies now that can fly through blocks since they've added mini-bosses, but those are mostly hardmode, and with the right equipment (i.e. lifesteal weapons) and knowing their patterns (e.g. martian ufo's giant laser doesn't shoot through blocks so taking cover works well) you should be fine.

-Yes, a lot of stuff from 1.2 got nerfed. Since 1.3 is new I assume it's a matter of time before someone discovers some new broken set or unintended side-effect that gets fixed. To be fair though, Redigit does realize sometimes he goes too far and will tone down the nerf and in some cases he'll even buff other items he thinks are too weak.

-The earliest mount is based on luck or the route you go. The fastest would be to make an Expert World, go in with a Slime Crown, summon King Slime, and beat him to get a treasure bag. You'll likely get the Slime Mount from it. Otherwise you could get a Turtle Mount from a Golden Crate (super rare though) at any point by fishing, or the Bunny Mount from the Angler for completing 5 quests for him. As for Hooks you could also get a Slime Hook from Expert mode King Slime as a treasure bag reward, but if you're playing legit and starting fresh you can make a Topaz/Amethyst Hook if you just find 15 Topaz/Amethyst gems and craft them together. You can't get any wings in a straight playthrough until Hardmode. The Rocket Boots are the closest you'll get before then.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 3, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Alright game, you can eat every inch of my fat rear end.

Yeah a friend found that out the hard way when he bombed a floating island almost right above our base to get the cloud blocks. Flooded the whole place.

Ambaire posted:

I'm having a problem. How do you farm fireblossom in 1.3? In 1.2 you just partially submerged the plants in lava and they would bloom and you could harvest them. In 1.3, it's breaking the fireblossom off and not giving me seeds. I used to run around the nether making a 1x1 enclosure for mature fireblossom plants and getting the plants+seeds. Doesn't work anymore.

According to the Wiki they changed Fireblossom blooms. Instead of needing lava they bloom from 3:45 pm to 7:30 pm.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Akett posted:

Has anyone gotten a tally counter yet? The wiki says that they drop from dungeon enemies, but I've been killing poo poo in dungeons for a while now and have nothing to show for it. It doesn't need to be in a hardmode dungeon does it?

We finally beat Expert Skeletron with a ton of bees and I can confirm that the Tally Counter drops pre-Hardmode, we found 3 in the dungeon but I don't know if 4 people spamming bees and cutting down hundreds of skeletons had something to do with it. I think the Nazar drop has been increased too, or we were just super lucky, we found 2.

Edit: Forgot that Expert Mode enemies have a higher chance to drop items, so that's probably why.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 3, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

symbolic posted:

Oh good, I just realized through my fourth time fighting the Moon Lord that my Spectre Hood healing ability is negated.

gj Re-Logic for loving me over without knowing it. :thumbsup:

Yeah it was part of the 1.3.0.3 patch. I'm sure other strategies will pop up (for example, I'm pretty sure you can still gain health by hitting other enemies, I swear at times during the fight I was getting life back somehow) but for now it seems the Moon Lord is meant to be defeated by crazy preparation or just a whole team throwing themselves at him constantly. Maybe it's just me but I still think the Potion Sickness debuff needs to be reduced by like 15 seconds (apart from the Philosopher's Stone) and it'd be nice if there was an item that let someone play healer (like, I dunno, a staff that lets you use a healing potion in your inventory on someone else with its own separate debuff timer?) if Red's really pushing for a more multiplayer experience.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 4, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Re: The Lava Charm chat from a couple pages ago I myself have never found one either.

So my friend needed a Magic Mirror for himself and we started exploring in our Expert World where we're up to WoF. First Golden Chest we come across I tell him "You can open it". He goes over and says "Hmm. Intrepid Lava Charm, what's this?"

:suicide:

But he's a nice guy and he said I could have it, so I crafted the Night's Edge for him.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
This is my main house I made like a year and a half ago. Was mostly using Magic/Ranged when I made it, put the NPCs I used most in the rooms. Eventually I stopped caring about being neat and symmetrical when they added and I found more and more things since my workshop is on the first floor. The right teleporter goes to my event tower and the left goes to my chlorophyte farm in the underground. Right now I'm working on wiring another for a Moon Lord minecart arena.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

My favorite part is how the Party Girl decided to move into the exterior Cask Of Amontillado room in the basement.

This reminds me. In one of my old worlds around the time of 1.2 I was building a dungeon when I got the message that the Party Girl had arrived. I kept working on it and apparently she decided to go down the hallway of skeleton banners and armor statues, down all the stairs, to come check it out.

She's weird.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

widespread posted:

So... I found a demon altar.

Could only summon Eye of Cthulhu. However, I'd get wrecked due to being in just full Boreal Wood and armed with a Hurtful Spear(Spear with +12% damage) and a plain Sickle. There some point where I could start attempting a normal Eye?

The game itself pretty much decides you're ready when you hit 200 HP I think and will summon him. At that point you should probably have at least partial Silver/Tungsten or Gold/Platinum armor. As to weapons, at that point the best to use is a bow with arrows since the Eye is up in the air a lot. Flaming Arrows are most likely what you'll have but if you've somehow gone long enough to build up a stack of stars use Jester's Arrows. Also, look up potion recipes. You'll probably have found some Ironskin and Archery potions in pots and chests, but it never hurts to have more.

Or spend a couple hours fishing and get some good poo poo, including cooked fish!

Nuebot posted:

So the wiki says the hammer is a 100% drop from the paladin in expert mode and I'd just like to mention that it's not. I've only had one drop out of 20 or so paladin deaths.

EDIT: Skeleton snipers drop banners, so I assume everything else in the dungeon does too. So you know completionist OCD.

Dunno why someone would say it's 100%. Even regular drops only go from like .5% to 1% in Expert Mode. The wiki is inconsistent with the drop rate probably because someone went and just farmed paladins and tallied up the totals, but it says it's either 2.86% or 6.67% in normal mode, so if it's doubled maybe 5-10% is about right.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 8, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

widespread posted:

After some time exploring, I got some Angry Flurry Boots and a Snowball Launcher. Also got a Bulky Lead Broadsword. Now, since it's advised to have ranged vs Eye of Cthulhu, would the Snowball Launcher be good enough? Or should I just spring for the Jester's/Flaming Arrows?

Unfortunately I never start by a Snow Biome so I never find a Snowball Launcher early enough for it to be worth using and never have against the Eye, but from what other people have said in this thread it's pretty good. I would say just make sure your armor is a complete set and is the best you can find at the moment and you're stocked up on snowball ammo, Ironskin, Healing, and Regeneration or Swiftness Potions, as well as a food item like cooked fish for additional buffs. If you're going to summon him I would also recommend doing so in a nice open, flat area with a couple campfires and heart lanterns scattered about. With all this preparation he should be a pushover.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Kinetica posted:

gently caress boulders forever

gently caress explosives traps forever. I don't know if 1.3 edited it so all of them have nice big tell-tale detonators by them now but in the past stepping on a pressure plate a dart will hurt, a boulder will REALLY hurt but can be dodged, but explosives, it's literally a click and you're dead.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Supremezero posted:

So I tried out the whole "build a circle minecart track and just follow it" tactic for Moon Lord.

It did not work.

Because I was so god drat fast I couldn't hit him either.

What speed should I be going at for this idea?

If you're running Magic like me my tactic is: Stardust Dragon, Rainbow Gun, Magnet Sphere, and my most important weapon: The Bat Scepter.

Really, if you have the patience to farm a Bat Scepter from the Pumpkin Moon event do it, it costs a hilariously low amount of mana and the bats home in on enemies. Basically as I'm zipping around I shoot a rainbow that covers half the middle he keeps running into, throw a magnet sphere up when i hit the middle of the bottom, and just keep shooting bats. I also put up a Lunar Portal, Frost Hydra, and Rainbow Crystal sentries but those are just a formality to finish him off faster with the Stardust Dragon. I think my best record killing him with the proper buffs (including Nebula Armor) is just under 2 minutes.

Edit: Also, I'd better farm the poo poo out of the Moon Lord for the last few drops I need and a good supply of Luminite Ore, because I get the feeling this tactic could be nerfed at some point too, like making him enrage if you get in a minecart.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 10, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Anyone know how this guy got the variation in background color, especially in the church on the left? Is it paint of some sort?

Either he painted it or, looking at the blocks he used, he put up a pattern of Grey Brick, Red Brick, and Mudstone Brick walls. I don't see a painter in the picture but it could be a combination.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

I finally beat Duke Fishron

It wasn't a repeatable strategy. Despite swiftness potion, spector boots, sunflowers, master ninja gear, spector wings, and at least one item buffing movement speed, he still can catch up with you. It is very difficult to keep your distance. I did have some maneuvers that seemed to help, but near the end of the battle was this nervewracking period in which I was frequently at only two hearts and struggling to keep my distance while waiting for the potion sickness to wear off. The chump gear combo of cross necklace and charm of myths really saved me.

You mean you didn't build a track of asphalt over the ocean?

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I kind of wish the Moon Lord's Expert Mode drop was, instead of a crystal to control gravity, a crystal to control time. Like, maybe it advances time by 12 hours thereby allowing you to turn night into day and vice versa. I could see this being used to get certain events to occur (invasions, solar eclipse, blood moon, meteorites, etc), or the traveling merchant, to skip events if you don't want to deal with them, go right to the next Angler's quest instead of having to wait, advance through the phases of the moon for merchant items/enemies, harvesting certain plants, etc. Of course, to prevent someone from spamming it just give it a cooldown of like 30 seconds or a minute. Maybe something like this would be tricky to program but it seems like that would've been a hell of a lot better than basically an infinite gravitation potion with restrictions. Plus, since the moon is associated with night it's kind of related like with the moon and gravity.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

TWIST FIST posted:

You can get a sundial from fishing that advances time to the next morning. You can only use it once a week though

Neat, I've never found one of those, I'll have to hunt it down! The once-a-week thing is lame but being able to do if every day is kinda overpowered I guess. Still, the Gravity Globe is just so... ehhhh, especially for a hardest-difficulty, final boss reward and since there's an item that lets you do the same thing already in the game. Just seems like there are so many other things that could be more interesting/useful. Like, I dunno, an item that lets you pass through blocks like certain enemies but has a timer like breath, or a Lunar Stone that maybe makes you immune to almost all debuffs not covered by the Ankh Shield and gives infinite breath and negates fall damage? Heck, I would accept a pre-nerf Rod of Discord.

Edit: You know what I just thought of? How about some kind of Celestial Converter that turns blocks into other blocks? Like put 2 dirt blocks in and get 1 pink ice or ash or something. Maybe it'd be too ridiculous to be any type of block or brick (like put dirt in, get chlorophyte bricks back, but make it so you can never get raw ores i guess?) but that'd be pretty cool, and it'd be a way to get rid of all this dirt and stone you accumulate and facilitate building. Would make it easier to get rare blocks too like the rainbow ones, or ones you can't get in your world like alternative dungeon bricks.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 13, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

King Doom posted:

Has anyone got a crawltipede banner? I just noticed I've killed the Moon Lord something like ten times now and the Crawltipede kill counter is still at 0.

I think I have two. Since I was running magic and already had a UFO by the time I started the event I beat it like 12 times before someone in this thread mentioned Crawltipedes leave you alone if you're on the ground. My death rate at the Solar Pillar went down dramatically after that.

So basically tempt death by hanging around in the air so the Crawltipedes go after you to get the banner, I guess.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I was going to ask before I checked and I guess there is a mod called Banner Bonanza and man, I really wish/hope that vanilla gets a banner item that lets you carry 1-5+banners at all times depending on tier. Ever since they were implemented I've wanted to be able to have something to give you banner bonuses other than making bunker holdouts or finding a free block to place a banner when poo poo's going south, if you're lucky enough to have it, because otherwise they're just inventory hogs while I'm exploring. I don't think Relogic is going to make it so in 1.4 but goddamn that's one of the things I've wanted most.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I can probably make artificial biomes with the materials and time imported from other maps (like I did for Corruption in a Crimson world), but I noticed that the Bestiary is based off of map and not character; the problem is that my main world with the most time invested and the best base, apartments, event tower, etc. is the oldest map I have (circa 2012 or 2013), from before the Underground Sand Biomes were even a thing; it's one of those things where I really wish Terraria had allowed importing of map sections to new sections so I didn't have to take all the time to build everything again. I know Journey Mode gets rid of a lot of grind so... I guess I'll have to bite the bullet for that, even though it almost feels like cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

codo27 posted:

For a brand new player, if there is such a thing, journey would be kinda cheating. For everyone else who's put hundreds of hours into the game, it's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Someone with more time can probably tell me I'm stupid and wrong but I once made a world just to drill the entire thing out of existence to see what would happen so I'd probably prefer to make the biomes I need in my old world, if possible.