Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Jumping right into 1.3 after having a fully "done" character is so confusing. Almost makes me want to start a new character.

Be cool like me and delete all your current characters and worlds so you can't cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

President Ark posted:

Eh, unless they changed world gen getting some items (cough cough the balloon cluster cough) are really annoying to make so that item is fine to cheat over if you ask me.

I just like starting fresh every time there is a new update.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Does Expert world just amp up the damage everything does to you to a ridiculous degree, and in return give you way more money?
Because that's what it feels like.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-changelog.20617/
I went ahead and googled the patch notes for you since I guess you're too dumb to do it yourself?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Do you need to do something special to trigger the martian invasion? I've killed all the boss except the moon lord but I'm not finding the probe thing or whatever to set it off.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Desperate Character posted:

yeah I fought the final boss for about 30 minutes with vampire knives and found out the hard way there is no point killing the hand eyes as it just makes the match even more difficult for melee fighting. the four pillars take loving forever to actually kill too so it's gonna be frustrating going back to actually fight him. I'm wondering if they spawn in the same spot and I can just make grinders for them

Make poo poo out of the stuff you get from killing the pillars. The fire one specifically makes some really powerful melee items. With the Moon Lord, when you get low on health you can just teleport home and heal at the nurse. He won't despawn. You do need to kill the hand eyes by the way. Why the gently caress were you using Vampire knives anyways on it?
EDIT: Also the pillars spawn in approximately the same area if you kill the cultist in the same place consistently

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

Not sure how much use an ankh shield IS anyway

Lol

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I ran through the dungeon with some friends last night and at least two of those dropped.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

This was actually stuff I had gotten legitimately, I've never used an inventory editor or anything.

Not intentionally, and I did check in nearby chests.

I've had stuff disappear off the ground before but not out of chests that I've noticed.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ahahaha, we just hit hardmode last night in me and my friends' expert world so the first thing we did was start farming pre hardmode bosses. We killed the eater of worlds a few times near an snow biome I guess and got like 3 or 4 amaroks which is twice as strong as the yoyo I was currently using.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 7, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
When you get farther into the game, all the good melee weapons have an insane range, or shoot out projectiles. It's really weird what they classify as melee sometimes.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Supremezero posted:

So I finally got around to Expert mode Mechanical bosses. And got the Mechanical Cart.

:stare:

It goes 102 MPH!

(For the record, Lightning Boots on Asphalt is only 64 MPH)

That's going to gently caress up all my sweet mine track ramps I built. :(

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
To be honest, as long as you have a ufo mount and teleport to your base when you get low, he isn't the worst to fight.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RatHat posted:

Now that NPCs can fight it'd be cool if they used nearby cannons/snowball cannons/bunny cannons too.

EDIT: It's weird that there's STILL no manual pause button.

You can turn autopause on in the options. It only works in single player though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RatHat posted:

Yeah but then you can't use items from the inventory. I find I turn autopause on when going out to fight, and off when at home crafting. It's annoying.

I don't really know why you'd expect to be able to do that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there any way to get light pets like the fairy bell or wisp in a bottle back after dismissing them by right clicking the buff? Unequipping and reequipping them doesn't work, neither does relogging.

President Ark posted:

Pick it up and left-click with it like you're eating a life heart or something.

Don't forget you can put that stuff in your equipment tab! I think if you click the eye icon on the slot it's in it turns it on and off. Alternatively dragging onto the regular part of the screen and using it works too!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Having autopause off lets you do things like place blocks or furniture from your inventory, without having to move them to your hotbar first. You can also use staffs, potions, etc from your inventory, so the summoning staff that you use once every time you die isn't taking up a valuable hotkey.

e:

I think there's no limit. I'm pretty sure I remember using an infinite water duplication glitch to fill up a friend's world before.

Ohhhh I misunderstood what their post.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've been playing on a multiplayer server on expert with some friends and thought I'd share some stuff we've done so far!
This is one of our houses. It's at a perfect height where Dragons and Harpies don't even spawn.

You may notice it say's "gently caress Will" on the first floor of our house. Will lives on the other side of the map in this.

And lastly, this is our boss arena! It really helps to have the nurse and a spawn point down there. We've only ever had her die once though and it was during the destroyer. That was because I wasn't paying attention though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I like to build a rope going up as far as an island is, then lay down minecart tracks till you find one. They are super cheap to make, 1 bar of Iron and 1 piece of wood for 50 tracks. This also give you a way to quickly travel the length of your world.
EDIT: I also really just like minecarts.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Are there any great ranged alternatives to a Godly Scourge of the Corruptor? I'm getting back into this with the update and am trying to figure out my options. I managed to beat the Martian invasion but the cultist at the dungeon entrance was too much for me. I switched from spectral to a hallowed armor set for the damage bonus.

Get some turtle or beetle armor.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RatHat posted:

How does the game determine what bait is used when you fish? I thought stuff put in the ammo slots would be prioritized but nope.

Whatever is in the top most left of your inventory gets used first.

Sjonnar posted:

:siren: WARNING :siren:

DO NOT kill the cultists on your expert mode world unless you're ready to have your poo poo locked down by the solar pillar. Their attacks all do >200 damage, the solanians reflect projectiles, you can't put your back to a wall because the corites can phase through blocks, and you can't dodge because the crawlipedes will murder you if you take to the air. I'm about to try my last strategy before calling a bunch of people to help me clear the drat thing, and then i'm never doing it again. gently caress expert mode lunar events.

Do the other ones first then and make some better weapons.
Also you can make a really good melee weapon that can attack everything through walls after you beat it once so it's much easier the next time.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 8, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sjonnar posted:

All right, expert Cthulhu down.

I'd like to reemphasize, for the record, that the real threats in the lunar events are the solar pillar trashmobs. Anything else can be handled by the One True God (Space Dragon) and His Prophets (Star Cells) backed by proper use of heavy firepower.

I got the SDMG, and i am disappoint. loving Hollywood silencer bullshit. It sounds like a wet fart. I'm sticking with the Vortex Beater, because it speaks with loving authority.

Why would you use other summons when you could just get a bigger space dragon?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

expert mode owns

ftfy

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I wanted to try expert mode but I'm worried it makes the bosses a complete pain in the rear end to deal with. That's always been my problem with this game. Once you get past the really early game, regular enemies are by and large a non issue. Even in the supposedly dangerous areas I never feel threatened much. If enemies just did more damage then I might have to be worried about dieing, but the bosses have enough damage and health already so I don't want to make them even worse.

I'm sorry to tell you that you didn't actually want to try expert mode.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
(On Expert) We did Skeletron and the Twins last night and they were much easier than expected. We had less trouble with the mechanical bosses and pre hardmode skeletron. AND we did Plantera on our first try. Having the nurse available to heal almost trivializes these bosses,

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Seven Force posted:

How would I go about linking an image without table breaking anything? Idk if clicking to enlarge is an SA Last Read specific feature.

Just replace img with timg in the brackets.
efb

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

symbolic posted:

I don't understand how people can do technical things in this game when I can barely make a dart trap.

Then again I haven't tried to make anything technical beyond said dart trap, so maybe it's easier than it seems.

It's really easy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

Just updated to 1.3.0.4, anyone know what it does?

Check out the post above yours.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

MrGreenShirt posted:

Uhhh, do they mean the boss or the yoyo?

Since weapons don't do different damage between difficulty I imagine they are talking about the boss.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

How come when I break glowing mushrooms with my regrowth rod it doesn't give me shrooms/seeds? I thought it was supposed to increase your yield but instead it eliminates it entirely.

It only does that for the stuff you plant with seeds. I think it's a bug that it actually gives you nothing when you hit a mushroom instead of just dropping what it normally should.

Ambaire posted:

I have a hint for players new to hard mode: before you kill the wall of flesh, find a floating island, extend a platform out one side a hundred blocks or so and farm harpies until you get a harpy feather. As soon as you kill the wall of flesh, go back to that platform farm and kill wyverns for 20 souls of flight for harpy wings. It's the easiest way to get wings that I know of, and you can't beat the maneuverability and slow fall boost for killing the destroyer.
You can also just move the Witch Doctor into a house in the jungle and buy wings from him at night. It cost 1 plat but is worth it if you can afford it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Supremezero posted:

So I tried out the whole "build a circle minecart track and just follow it" tactic for Moon Lord.

It did not work.

Because I was so god drat fast I couldn't hit him either.

What speed should I be going at for this idea?

Just use a flarion

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Krittick posted:

I might be in the minority, but Expert Mode has completely revitalized the game for me more than any of the other 1.3 changes. I used to fire it up once or twice a year, build a tenement house and zoom to hardmode in a few days, but then I'd quickly get bored with tediously gathering stuff just to fight bosses that were only marginally difficult. I also was way more prone to cheating in items when I got sick of farming for them, which made me grow bored even faster.

After 1.3, I've been playing a new character and Expert world for over a week and only just managed to beat Skeletron after 10+ attempts with various equipment strategies. The winning "strategy" was when I got stuck between his head and the ceiling on my slime mount, which finished him off after the arms died. So far I'd say his fight is the only expert boss fight that needs to be toned down a little, mostly because of those loving unblockable flying skulls.

I'm having way more fun exploring now that I need to actually be careful about things, and everything I find or make seems all the more fulfilling without cheating it in or farming one-hit kill enemies for hours. The improved drop rates for expert mode definitely help that, but it's mostly the added challenge that seals it for me. At this rate I honestly don't see myself ever making a normal world again unless I want to specifically take it easy sometime.

Then again, this could all change when I enter hardmode and come crying back to this thread about getting killed by the air.

No I think the hardmode bosses are actually easier than Skeletron. It could be that more variety in what you can use opens up as soon as hardmode starts, but it could also be that I got a really good yoyo almost immediately.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

President Ark posted:

You can press 'b' to auto-use one of every buff item in your inventory that isn't already active. :ssh:

:vince:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

kazil posted:

Ugh I hate when people in this thread are all "Just fish up X item and use that!"

*fishes for an hour and ends up with 600 bass*

You need better bait or a bigger thing to fish out of. Or a better fishing rod. Some things have a minimum fishing power you need to catch it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

King Doom posted:

Wait, so this new patch fucks up the use spikes and honey to kill moon lord technique?

Dammit, anyone else know any ways to kill that thing?

Run away from it

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

What's the easiest to get light source that follows you around? Placing torches sucks. And is there any getting started guide video?
^(But a mining helmet or shine potions are good early choices)^
In case you didn't know most of the time you can just hold shift and click on a wall or block to lay down a torch. You don't even need them in your toolbar. I'm not sure of a good starting video, but the first post of this thread has a guide.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

omeg posted:

I think patches reset the played time. At least one of the earlier ones seemed to did it for me.

It's something that wasn't added or tracked until 1.3 so that might be what you're thinking of.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

Back when I beat Plantera, I made an Arena with several rows of platforms so that I could zip around with rocket boots and grapple hooks to keep circle strafing him until it went down. This probably is not the best strategy but it worked for me. Other things I did to prepare is making my defense as high as possible with potions and reforging accessories. Making campfires and hanging heart lanterns for regen also helps. I also made sure to always use my potions when they went off CD unless I was near full hp.

Basically this but with wings.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I figured out a way to cheese(cheat) fishing quests if you want to do them quickly without straight up editing your character. Basically you start a multiplayer server where you haven't done the daily quest. Find out what the fish is, catch it, put it in a chest near the angler. Go into your server command and save the world, then turn in the quest. From that point you save and exit on your character and just close the world without saving. Reopen that world and you can turn in a quest in under 10 seconds depending on where your angler is. This also works for just straight up duping items if you need to.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean... that's an interesting thing you can do, but if you're willing to go to those lengths why not just cut out the middlemen and use an inventory editor to give yourself whatever it is you want from fishing quests?

Because you don't then get the actual number of fishing quests completed. Also you can do it where you save the game right before 4:30am(in game time) and do the fishing quest legitly. I'm not sure though if it will generate different quests each day because I just did the same one over and over. Basically I don't have a problem with the quests themselves, I think they are fun to do, but you have to wait FAR too long inbetween each one even if you are using server commands to mess with time.
(Also this way you don't have to download any third party software)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
What everyone is trying to say is "No"