Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
noodled around on a new world, with accelerated pre-hardmode progression by importing a pre-hardmode but developed character. I like a lot of the tweaks I've been able to discover so far.

Weren't kidding when they said NPCs defend themselves, even the Nurse kills stuff that bothers her now.

E: Demizes solo guides and ymir's speedruns for my own reference

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So running around smashing pots in the underworld occasionally a golden portal will open, spew gold coins on my character and then disappear.

What is this.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yoyos are this update.
Not sure how they're different than flails
There's some accessories specific to yoyos, though, you can craft a string that extends its length for instance.

I didn't like the sound of expert mode, and I hope that not too many of the new fun stuff's behind it. Normal Terraria combat is annoying enough since you are constantly swarmed with random enemies everywhere. I intend to just go through normal mode and maybe even get to the pumpkin/frost events using meetyourDemize's tips, then maybe go to expert mode with end game gear.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 1, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
:doh: I didn't hold the button down
That's why the counterweight didn't seem to be doing anything. Argh.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Pressing the grapple button seems to work for minecart dismounting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
just some kind of strange plant that you don't recognize.

Someone found one in the corruption earlier in the thread but he seems to be the only one, just find some kind of plant that doesn't look like anything else, not even like one you'd grind for dye.

I haven't even found a single vile mushroom so I don't think my chances for that quest are that high.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Ugh I'm having enough trouble with non-expert hard mode as it is. The hardmode goblin invasion is bullshit, and I got it two days in a row + a blood moon. At this rate I'm going to have to hold out on trying out the mechanical bosses because I do not want solar eclipses.

At the very least Yo-yo's own pretty hard.

Any tips for making an invasion defense? Mine didn't work out that well, but it's my first time trying to actually proactively build a structure for dealing with them instead of just smashing my face into them

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Kenny Logins posted:

Here's my basic bitch home base which happens to work well for invasions (except the Slime King, technically).

similar to what i have, but I think I'll have to think of a way to deal with all the poo poo that flies through walls in goblin invasions now (and the summoners who fly away when you actually get hits on them).

Unrelated but I never played with dye before, but now the ability to dye your grapples and pets rules

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Did how dungeon keys work change somehow, because I have a loving HALLOWED KEY in my inventory and I haven't beat a single mechanical boss yet:psyduck:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

kazil posted:

I've got one but it was in a hardmode dungeon. Doesn't mean it has to be hardmode, just how I got mine.

The materials list for the cell phone are dumb though. Somehow managed to make the Ankh Shield look sane to build by comparison.

Really? I'm already almost done, just need two of the angler items and a radar. (Which could probably also be picked up by fishing using crate potions)

Ankh shield meanwhile is a bunch of rare drops from hardmode enemies spread over all the biomes.

Spergminer posted:

Also if you're a Steam achievement whore like me, don't do fisher quests yet. While it tracks quests in-game quests just fine, Steam isn't tracking them at all.

Good little slave triggered for me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I just iced him and I'm a pretty weak player

1) A charm of myths helps a bit, cross necklace does too.
2) Make sure you hit the worm with piercing attacks. Holy arrows wreck its poo poo even if you just have a mythril bow. Or crystal bullets if you have a hardmode gun. Not as likely, but it can happen.
3) immediately clear away probes as they come, they are what deal the damage. Probably use a melee weapon on them.

He is the easiest of the mech bosses but none of them are pushovers.
see meetyourdemize's videos, he was posted last thread and his strategies are actually reasonable and do not rely on rare items beyond mimic drops.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 4, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Welp, all three mech bosses are beaten.
I think the meetyourdemize videos helped because usually I suck at fighting them. Are there any good videos of the new boss fights?

Also are the pumpkin/frost moons feasible without lizhard temple traps? It sounds like you WILL get a martian invasion with a boss fight immediately after you kill the golem so you can't use the picksaw to prep your base for it.

Most of the new features seem to be lategame, but some of them I've enjoyed:
1) the addition of crafting from chests now means you can just put a chest of all alchemy ingredients next to an alchemy station instead of memorizing which ingredients make what and dragging them back and forth
2) Item frames are a godsend for storage, framing a star next to magic weapons or a healing potion next to the potion chest means you never forget where anything is
3) That drat unicorn mount rules, not too hard to get and now travel is painless
4) I'm going to try to enjoy yoyos while I can because I'm sure they will be nerfed soon, and once you know how to use them (rub cursor on thing until it dies) they can really mop up swarms of enemies.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Eh if I can beat the mechanical bosses without cheesing them you can too. (though cross necklace + myth charm + heart lanterns + campfire MIGHT be a little cheesy but its not like that makes you unstoppable, just a little bit of an edge)

Use holy arrows on the destroyer, the stars kill the worm AND take care of the probes. Once the destroyers been destroyed you can build a megashark and then crystal bullet murder the other two if you have a halfway sensible arena.

I still die 2-3 times per invasion, though. The solar eclipse I MIGHT have done a little better on had I noticed I still had my loving angler outfit on instead of armor :mad: This is the downside to vanity items.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Wyvernil posted:

I think you can make Crimstone bricks now, but I'm not certain. I'd have to double-check on that.

As an aside, apparently the sandstone blocks in the underground desert can't be used to make sandstone bricks. That's... kind of weird. Now that they added sandstone, you'd think that you could use them to make bricks in place of sand.

Hopefully future updates flesh out the underground desert more. It seems like the one thing of interest there is the fossils.

UPDATE: I guess there aren't any crimstone bricks. I could have sworn I saw them in the changelog... :(

Yeah I'm really confused by the underground desert because there's a ton of work put into it, a gaggle of very unique new enemies come into play in hardmode but they only drop money and banners?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Zereth posted:

Not even antlion mandibles?

Pre-hardmode the enemies are all antlion varients and all drop mandibles.

In hardmode you get all kinds of crazy new enemies. Basilisks, lamias, GIANT sandworms, spirits that shoot exploding spells. It looks like no other environment and it feels like braving it should have a big reward. But again, if you went there before hardmode you already have all the things you could possibly get out of it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Tenebrais posted:

Ugh, the Angler quest part of making the PDA is hell. I've still got two of the three drops to go and he just won't give them out! It wouldn't be so bad if you could have more than one quest a day...

I have a cell phone.

Really it's not something you NEED, it's just nice if it happens. 90% of the info is useless clutter. A few pieces are extremely helpful such as the rare treasure sensor and the rare enemy sensor (helps mimic hunts and bound npc searchs a lot. AND the hunt for the nymph for her part) but I don't need my movement speed or to see my fishing level at all times. Or how many enemies are on screen.

A tip: The radar shows up in chests and therefore is a crate drop. So if you're out fishing, chug a crate potion after getting the quest fish and then open the boxes later, it's easier than searching the world over for a chest. This was something I was doing anyway because the crates also have hardmode ores when in hardmore, including ones you didn't get this world.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Internet Kraken posted:

So I assume if I've hit silt I dug too deep at the start of the game? I ran into a pack of antlion chargers, which I'd never seen before. They completely obliterated me cause there was no way my lovely copper sword was gonna do jack to them.

I'm not sure what gear to be aiming for anymore. Right now I'm just trying to scrounge up enough tungsten for a set while looking for gold to complete a pickaxe.

EDIT: Is tin ore even worth digging up? I keep mistaking it for iron and its annoying me.

There is no such thing as digging "too deep" :black101:

the antlions are from being the underground desert biome not because of depth, dig somewhere else.

If you're not sure if somethings worth it or not just make it and try it out (but really iron/lead and gold/platinum are what you want, former's used in necessary items, latter is the high tier for tools before boss drop ores, and they both are always useful for ironskin and spelunker potions which you'll probably use for most of the game)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I really imagine yoyos are going to at least have their drop rate lowered soon

In the post plantera dungeon I haven't gotten any special drops yet beyond some ectoplasm but FOUR krakens. And only one broken hero sword from the solar eclipse but two cthullu eyes. These things are 100+ damage dealers. My survival time and number of kills per survival time is higher for yoyos than other weapons, including the true night's edge, they just tear through enemies.

Also some hints about the dungeon. On your first run through, remove all water candles. That prepares you for both the here and now and much later, if there's water candles post plantera you're in trouble. I managed that this run. However, do NOT worry about spikes. Instead, come back when you have the Drax (after the three mech bosses and before plantera) and then remove them. Drax mines them quickly, but just after skeletron you don't really have good options for them. This was my mistake this run. Mining out spikes with post-plantera enemies after you is trouble, but having them still there is also a nuisance.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Except meteorheads.

Meetyourdemize showed a neat way to collect them afk using the ocean biome but it requires traps mined from the lizhard temple.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

President Ark posted:

The only one that I'd say is really essential are the vampire knives.

unfortunately you cannot get those if you have corruption instead of crimson

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Kanos posted:

There's really no reason to nerf them because they're at best on par with the stupid poo poo that ranged/magic/summons can do later on. The Terrarian is an insanely powerful endgame weapon but so are all of the others(and I would contend that it's probably not as good as the options the other weapon types have available). Them being an actual good melee option as you're going through the game is something good instead of something bad, since relying on melee for most of the game was like deliberately handicapping yourself before.

They might lower the drop rate a little

I already have gotten like 3 eyes of cthullu and 10+ krakens out of only like three eclipses and not many more dungeon dives.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
But if you isolate your npcs into rooms w/o doors you won't get to see them talk to each other

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Ambaire posted:

Anyone had trouble getting a Megaphone to drop? I've killed over 200 dark mummies and almost 400 pixies and I have yet to see one drop. I know the wiki says it's a 1% drop but I think I should have had at least one drop so far...

Edit: Since I have the infinite water bucket I'm thinking about the feasibility of making a green jellyfish farm...

Yeah I did too, battle potion on blood moon eventually helped get it but I got three megaphones and three fast clocks (and THREE blessed apples, and TWO hallowed keys! I'm not exaggerating.) before finally getting the megaphone.

Nazar's probably the hard part though, it's a rare drop from rare enemies. Not sure how much use an ankh shield IS anyway

V All my slots have servicable items in them, lack of knockback and status effects are nice but I prefer extra damage. Besides, it won't stop you from getting stoned from Medusa.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Nazars just drop from skulls, enchanted swords, and enchanted hammers. Notes:
The Nazar can be difficult to obtain, as none of the enemies which drop it spawn very often.

cursed skulls spawn more often than the enchanted weapons, but they do not spawn as often as the other dungeon enemies.

In game I haven't really been farming ankh shield pieces, except the megaphone when I noticed I had all parts but that and the nazar, and I still do not have a nazar.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's a random drop. Even if it's low there's a chance of that happening during one particular run, but over many runs it's expected that there will be more when it doesn't.

Still we're splitting hairs over rare vs uncommon here I think. I'll agree that it's more the latter.

It might be my fault for ditching the water candles, but I like being in total control of the spawn rate.
Different parts of the dungeon have different drops, this way you can turn up the spawn rate when you reach the part of the dungeon you don't have the drops from yet without having too difficult a retread, in theory.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 6, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do melee weapons that shoot projectiles out get bonus damage on the projectiles if you have some kind of melee buff? Can they benefit from stuff you use at the imbuing station?

Nope to the first. Yep to the latter (see the wiki)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Pretty sure it should be yep to the first as well. Melee damage gear works on anything that says "melee damage" in its description, whether it's a sword that shoots lasers, a vampiric throwing knife, a yoyo, or anything else.

Sorry misread, thought he was asking about ranged buffs to the projectiles.

Internet Kraken posted:

Are summoners actually good? There was zero summoning stuff in the game before I played. They seem like a really weird class for a game like this. Something that would be extremely tedious to use against normal enemies while exploring with most summons at least. Then horribly broken once you get the top tier gear and don't have to do anything while your space dragon eats everything.

I've been watching yrimir's videos and his summoner playthrough highlights that this is the case (to get anywhere he has to count the crimson rainclouds as summons). And to begin he has to hunt down a slime statue to get the 1/10000 drop baby slime staff. They can't be your exclusive style,though they can certainly help watch your back in mass attacks.

Though it's starting to get pushed a little more it's going to need a lot to have a complete progression curve. I hope the granite, marble, and underground desert will eventually have drops for the summoner class, it would add some good incentives to visiting them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Is it possible to successfully take down duke fishron with anything besides cholorphyte bullets?
They're pretty annoyingly expensive especially when I just spent all mine on making gear and need to wait for regrowth

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Pakled posted:

Yeah, but you won't know where sky islands are without some sort of flying ability unless you either cheat or manually check every screen-sized portion of sky by building dirt blocks up. So I guess I should say it's not impossible to get to them without flying or gravitation potions (after which you can build a rope down), but it's either cheating or incredibly tedious to do so.

Shoot water bolts upward every so often until you see/hear some bounce back. Also works with meteor shot or other bouncing projectiles.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Money should be no object in this game, the coin drop rates have been raised a lot it seems and you'll get even more if you regularly visit the tax collector, do angling quests, and sell off extra gear you pick up
A good tip is to keep killing the pre-hardmode bosses once they're small potatoes, demonite/crimsonite ore is worth s lot.

I've also discovered that it's really good to have a base in a hallow because instead of fireflies you'll get lightening bugs, which are 35% bait power, as much as an enchanted nightcrawler but doesn't cost a falling star and spawns abundantly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
As it turns out using terramap there were like a gazillion strange plants on the surface that I had never noticed. Like 7 or 8.
You might want to use that app if you haven't found strange plants, though they might just have popped up for 1.3.01
They kind of don't stand out among other grass and flowers I guess.

Now have pixie, shadow, grim, acid, and infernal wisp dyes. No reflective ones yet. The toxic looking dyes don't I got really fit my characters theme of fabulous diamond robes and rainbows though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Excalibur is what comes to mind for me. Or maybe the enchanted boomerang, a jeweled staff, a diamond robe, crystal vile shard, an extra pwnhammer,or Starfury.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
how do you fish in lava for the obsidifish and the flarefin. The inferno potion sounds fun and I have a hotline fishing hook but trying to fish in lava just results in nothing happening.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Crystal bullets are a good idea for beginning hardmode.
Holy arrows might be even better, they can easily devastate the destroyer at the very least.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
His lantern has the treasure sparkle property without being a consumable

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Waffleopolis posted:

I need help with Skeletron on expert. So far I have a full Molten armor set rocketing, Deadly Molten Fury, and Deadly Space Gun. I also make a minecart track that goes back and forth to help keep my distance (though I do run into him occasionally). The main problem I am having is the projectile skull she shoots out after one or both armors have been destroyed.Finally, I'm at 200 health and I use a series of buffs and set up campfire around the tracks to increase my life regen. The problem I have with him is the projectile skulls he spews out after one of both hands are destroyed. I can't dodge them or block them off like imp's fireballs, and I get hit enough to where my rate of regen and consumption of health potions are not enough. Any pointers on killing him?

here's yrmir's recent example battle with Skeletron expert, which has some hints that look like they can be used in general: To dodge the skulls he stages under a wood platform while using a yoyo to go around the platform.

Read posted:

How large is your lava pool (calculated as the area below the surface your bobber floats in)? Do you have bait with you?

Thanks, this was the problem. I thought the lake's dependability was based on size in general, not depth.

Inferno's not all that helpful but it looks cool.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Supremezero posted:

Given that Chlorophyte ore is the only ore you can make farms for, I'm glad they did.

yeah as long as you save your mud from your jungle excursions, it's surprisingly no big deal to farm it. It looks more complicated than it actually is.

It grows in any biome, as long as you're below the halfway mark from underground to caverns or something. And only so much can grow in an area.

I'm fuzzy on the details but I placed a few five by five squares of mud alongside my hellavator around a screen apart, right now they're entirely chlorophyte.

You could probably do something similar with your wall of flesh highway.

It's far less painful than search for adamentium (which goes obsolete so quickly after you have access to it, if you git gud you do not need that armor for the mech bosses)

The Lone Badger posted:

It's life fruits I'm short of. They're too drat small to spot easily even with Spelunking, I still only have 440 health fighting the Moonlord.

I still don't get the big deal with spelunking glowsticks.
Spelunking you're going to want specific things like the life fruits or crystals or specific ores. From the lantern or glowsticks effects I can't tell any of that poo poo apart, but potions at the very least let you see exactly what treasure is and lets you see ore texture.

By the time you're in hardmode you should have the means to produce spelunker potions, and now that you can craft from chests brewing is completely effortless too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Mylan posted:

Has anyone seen one of these things: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Giant_Shelly ? I'm farming banners and it's one of the only things I haven't seen at all. I've run around the underground a ton. Is it exclusive to non-expert?

They occur a lot on my expert mode world.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I finally beat Duke Fishron

Well I did cheat in a hundred truffle worms so I could have more failed attempts. (Many of which were actually because I forgot to change back from my angler suit or equip the right accessories :sigh:). Duke is a boss in which practice can lead to improvement, and the game actively prevents you from practicing by making his boss fight require a difficult hunt and then a long trek to the end of the world (Built a teleporter to the ocean).

It wasn't a repeatable strategy. Despite swiftness potion, spector boots, sunflowers, master ninja gear, spector wings, and at least one item buffing movement speed, he still can catch up with you. It is very difficult to keep your distance. I did have some maneuvers that seemed to help, but near the end of the battle was this nervewracking period in which I was frequently at only two hearts and struggling to keep my distance while waiting for the potion sickness to wear off. The chump gear combo of cross necklace and charm of myths really saved me.

Well, this has been a lot of fun. I used to be the loudest complainer about the difficulty of the solo bosses but now I'm... not bad? Looking at the number of temple keys I've stockpiled I've defeated Plantera 8 times (loving pygmy staff!!!!) without really using arenas beyond the open areas granite biomes provide.

Are there any other good Terraria video guys besides demize and yrimir? At this point youtube's recommending me Hero :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

kazil posted:

You can set up a truffle worm farm and get tons of worms really easy

care to show some designs? I started to do things that way and got bored, but I'm not too great at building farms.

Tried making part of the jungle into a biome but the worms were still hard to actually find, tried a long strip of mud seeded with seeds and got bored with it though I caught a worm on it once.

Dootman posted:

What kind of Terraria videos? If you want to learn how to build calculators and video blackjack machines, you can check out Dicemanx, who goes by Joe Price on youtube.

Calculator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vh2BACkmQQ
Blackjack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hDEqq2Vzjw

He also has a bunch of other absurd things that he's built, like various grinders, hoiks, etc.

Cool I'll check these out.

Abandoned Toaster posted:

You mean you didn't build a track of asphalt over the ocean?

No, just two long platforms. I didn't think of asphalt. Might try that later, though I do not have much patience building.