Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

I lust for gnome death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Yeah, you guys haven't seen the gnome's butthole before? Given that so many people lost their poo poo about the luck modifier from torches, I figured for certain that everyone would be slamming gnomes on the field at every conceivable opportunity.

For some reason I find it very amusing to hunt and lure them. But I've got them in supply so I leave them everywhere. Fishing spots, all my outposts, places where I'm grinding for drops. The watchful gaze of that small gaping rectum is with me always.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
They spawn in front of natural walls, and at an extremely high rate in front of natural living wood walls. Go find your huge living tree biome, clear the blocks out from either sides of the shafts in the taproot complex to expose more living wood background wall. Clear the platforms that are already there and put new ones in every 8 tiles (gnomes are really bouncy but can only jump 7 blocks high) and throw a couple of water candles down. Then make a kill room towards the bottom of the complex, between the shafts, by hammering dirt walls up from the underground layer until you expose sunlight.

Dismiss any summons, grab your cobalt shield, and bring me a hundred petrified gnome scalps.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I also recommend playing on a large world. Sarting from the moment you get the Demolitionist you can set up the forest pylon at your main safehouse and set up temporary camps to move the underground pylon around to whichever waypoint you want to work out of, and before hard-mode you can have the entire network set-up and reel in Obsidifish to make the portal potions that take you back to the field after you're done at base and then you can pretty much quicktravel with impunity. After the first exploratory lap or two of your game world, such utilities remove the tedium of distance as a significant concern.

I would favor Corruption for your first playthrough because the challenge it provides when you first venture into it involves the environmental difference that it has with everywhere else in the game. The Crimson doesn't duplicate this factor quite the same way, and the desperation of your first descent into the Corruption is honestly my favorite narrative beat in the game.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
All such strategies will be irrelevant when somebody finds a bug that lets you execute a buffer overflow into world data and kill the moonlord with one specific, arcane grid of dirt and stone blocks.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm reading that 1.4.1 patch topic on a safari for the most annoying opinions. About 90% of the first ten pages are from people wheeling through to write dissertations on their groundbreaking opinion that :siren:torch luck is bad:siren:. But then you've got:

quote:

"If all your other classes feel stupid standing next to you there is a problem.
Unless that is the intent. Do you think the devs wanted 75% of the players to feel stupid and insignificant for not choosing melee?
My son (8) chose melee and my daughter (9) plays summoner and she died then watched her brother solo moon lord and cried "dad..I can't do anything, I just die and he kills every pillar and boss."
She has since then discarded the whip and uses the same sword."

My kids are both same skill level and enjoy playing together, however the zenith just makes other classes feel bad.

Melee isnt in harms way more than other classes (the old tired excuse) yet they get highest armor, regen, damage, and no resource management.

My daughter didnt care before, but this sword is so broken it made her feel pointless.
I just ask to consider this please adjusting. Melee got a sword and everyone else is holding a dull spoon. If you halved its damage...its still better than meowmere. HALVED!

I like this one because it demonstrates that these concerns are appropriate for nine-year-olds who briefly desire something inconsequential to bitch about after they've already beaten the loving game, but unlike their father, they have also correctly determined that you are allowed to use whatever equipment you want at any time and that there's no such thing as a player class with respects to a weapon that just ceaselessly murders everything on the screen without meaningful limitation. Children truly are our future.

quote:

The change about only equipping some accessories and not some others in vanity slots doesn't improve gameplay while making the user interface and inventory management worse, which is frustrating.

It's pretty arbitrary that some accessory items can be equipped in vanity and others cannot. E.g. gizmo pack can be stored in vanity, ok, nice. But lava charm cannot. Why?

This makes the right mouse button to swap them depending on usecase less functional.

Old situation where any accessory can be put in both places was more useful, less frustrating and easier to understand.

Side note, I always found it very weird with those vanity slots that they function both as item storage to swap gear, and display. It makes no sense that the armor you are using is not the one being displayed. It would be even more logical if there were vanity slots that were only for items that have no stats whatsoever and can override the display, and next to that "swap equipment" slots for temporary storage that match all the armor and accessory slots but allow swapping out with the regular equipment slot.

I am absolutely certain that this man does not know the definition of the word "vanity," but I appreciate the philosopher who can forget the idea he was trying to argue against and then, in his confusion, assert it as a his new invention..

quote:

After player 1.4, I had to put it down. The changes just didn't sit right with me, and here are a few topics that frustrated me. These might be repeating some of the other posts, but I'm not going to read 200 of them to decide whether or not to post this.

-The new trees feel out of place. They look good, but the area surrounding them just doesn't fit with them.
-Graves take 20 years to break now, and its a real nusiance considering how ugly they look.
-We can't break sand under cactus anymore. Chopping cacti is a boring experience, and you've stopped a way around it instead of addressing why people don't want to hold click for 6 seconds per cactus.

The length of this post and the bold typeface are [sic], and fully appropriate to call attention to these important ways in which the game is loving ruined now.

quote:

Just gonna be up front with you guys-

Almost everything that was discussed in the past 20 hours is outside of the scope of what I have any authority to impact.

owned

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I also think that's a reasonable desire but he's on about "why does this item that you can see on your character get to go in the vanity slot, but not the one that you can't see? It makes no sense! And why is it that the items you have in the vanity slot is the one that shows up, but not the one that's you're actually wearing? It makes no sense! They should add a new special set of slots that aren't supposed to be for anything but a show of vanity."

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I am not planning on anything but decadently judging them for things that mean very very little.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
So I'm looking at the viability of modding slight tweaks to the NPC happiness system.

My general idea is that when the player reconciles the different aesthetics and personalities of a set of NPC neighbors, it's a gentle creativity prompt. But as it stands now, NPC relationships are always the same, so after you arrange them in your first world, you're unlikely to ever reconsider those arrangements, even on subsequent play-throughs. I think it would be more fun if those relationships differed from world to world. Now, my supposition is that the NPC happiness check is performed ad-hoc when the player opens the dialogue window. I think it may be achievable to have this process salt out a deterministic table of NPC relationships from the world seed instead of referencing one that's hard-coded.

So what I'm thinking is:

-There are 25 house-dwelling NPCs. So for each one, we randomly select four groups of five other NPCs that they will respectively love, like, dislike, or hate. To the remaining four other NPCs, they remain ambivalent. This means that the probability of an NPC loving an NPC who loves them back is 69%, lol.
-Keep one liked/disliked biome per NPC but randomize them, too. There are only 24 NPCs who are actually affected by happiness (the guide can go gently caress himself, as is tradition) and eight biomes about which they can have opinions, so we deal each out as a like and dislike three times. Truffle would be forced-dealt a fondness for Mushrooms because he's probably stuck there due to housing requirement stuff that I can't imagine ever being compelled to gently caress with.
-Right now there are two price modifiers applied as a result of NPC crowding: a 104% "intrusion of personal space" modifier that applies for each NPC beyond the first within 25 tiles, and a 90% "I have my own lawn" modifier that they get when there's no more than one NPC within 25 tiles AND no more than three further NPCs within 120 tiles. I think the latter should be changed to 2 and 2 or just be a flat "no more than 4 NPCs within 120 tiles" so that the "personal space" penalty is offset by love/like bonuses but doesn't also cancel out the broader "lawn" bonus.
-Write extra dialogue for each NPC so that they can say appropriate things about their roommates. There would be a lot of it but it pretty much writes itself.

Other ideas:
-Force certain relationships. Specifically the love affair between the goblin and the mechanic. :3:
-Some kinda UI extra where the Guide will gossip with you and just tell you what everybody's preferences are, or, less likely, list them in the Beastiary. Either of these would be nice, or outright necessary if the roommate dialogue is annoying to gently caress with for some reason.

Note that I am very unlikely to actually do any of this because I lack both motivation and competence, but it's also the kind of thing that I could get distracted with for no reason one day when the amphetamines hit different and then end up researching and implementing it all in one sweaty ten-hour obsession-session. So I am soliciting some conversation about it ahead of time.

(Hardcoding everybody to just be happy all the time is also something I imagine plenty of people want, but I also estimate that such a tweak is going to be among the first 1.4.1 mods that drops after TModLoader is updated so there's no point in thinking about it too much.)

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Katt posted:

Likewise I'd like to see stats on how many players make use of the golfer or golf related items. I feel like a dev who just has really strong feelings on golf decided to put it in there and no one questioned it.

Golf's inclusion in Terraria isn't just a wired quirk, in my opinion, it answers a specific design question with lazer precision. Building pretty things with legos is one of the game's significant gameplay opportunities, but how do you open up more payoffs for the aesthetically-minded player than just posting a picture of their work and maybe getting a few upvotes on reddit? Art for art's sake is a wonderful thing, certainly, but the Golfer gives you a concise and accessable mechanism to entice many other players into your world, where you can expect them to devote their attention to a jaunt through the many pretty sights that you've arranged for them.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
The recent patch that was aimed at Steam Deck compatibility also slipped in a change to NPC happiness; they now like hybrid versions of their preferred biome. Which means pretty much anybody other than the people who prefer forests can be stuck with anyone and in any place if you also just slam down a couple hundred Pearlsand blocks or whatever.

I have assembled a different autohotkey autoclicker script to deal with the fact that Terraria seems to have a hard time catching instantaneous click events, try it out if you have issues with the one suggested in the OP:

code:
#IfWinActive ahk_exe Terraria.exe
$XButton1::
	While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
	{send {LButton down}
	sleep 20
	send {LButton up}
	sleep 20
	}
return

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Tombot posted:

So today I learned something that solved a problem that I've had for absolutely ages. The world I prefer to play in dates back before they added the underground desert, as of such there was no way to get a Golfer and by extention, the Princess. At first I tried to use 'ecto mist' to make the backround walls to make the biome artificially, but apparently that doesn't work as these walls are considered "safe" and do nothing. For a while this is where the story concluded, but just now I learned that if you convert these "safe" walls using a clementator to one of it's counterparts (in this case, the Hallowed) it becomes like it's regular self again and it counts as an underground desert biome, using this I was able to get a golfer and by extension the princess (because the Golfer was the last one I needed).

Now in order to do this I needed to import underground desert blocks from another world that I had generated, but it still works so whatever.

The Shimmer also purportedly allows you to transmute unsafe/"natural" versions of background walls for the underground desert, plus the lihzard temple and dungeon. Wouldn't be shocked if there was more, either.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
okay, here's my opinion: doing up the Town Slimes instead of one of the handful of rather good ideas from StarBound was a waste of time.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I fully understand why people are motivated by NPC happiness as a prompt for ~something to do~, but am continuously baffled by grown-rear end men of commerce actually stressing about it. The prices offered by most of them will literally never matter. The rest of them, it may matter once. The only recurring cost center is the Tinkerer and possibly the Demolitionist if you're buying fat stacks of dynamite, but both of those dudes wanna be underground, which is otherwise known as where the entire game takes place, and I am drat skippy you're going to want some pylons somewhere.

Build the 20-cell dirt longhouse of misery at spawn and, then like. Just stop giving a poo poo.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

LordAdakos posted:

How do you keep the corruption biomes from spreading? Didn't there used to be a trick with snow or something?

Air-gapping.

Corruption can't spread more than three tiles, and it can only infect grass, stone, ice, and the various blocks and background walls of sand. Nothing else. Snow will indeed act as an insulator, but so will dirt and mud without grass on it, and actually so will pretty much every other block in the game, and in fact empty space works perfectly fine as well. This does mean that some biomes and tunnel generation will make natural firewalls.

The evil biome also can't displace the Hallow, so if there's just a specific area you don't want to worry about (and it's probably going to be somewhere in the desert, because that place has absolutely no natural protection against the spread), then you can hit it with some conversation powder, or the clentaminator, or just seed it with some Hallowed blocks before the evil starts to push in.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
wait but what if the entire game itself was actually true 3d and the environment was just made of big voxels

brb, gonna go prototype this in Java

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Not only is Don't Dig Up a good remix that offers principled changes to the game progression, but I like the implication created for the setting by having you fight your way out of a last-bastion situation on a temperate island in hell.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Eh, I found it got old real fast once you made it to the surface. the constant assault by eaters just was not fun at all.

I wish you could mix and match the special world seeds a little more, personally.

The surface is the most open part of the game, and this seed appropriates that quality to create a space where you're incentivized to stay on the move the entire time you're there. If your destination is the dungeon or sky islands, then there's a shelter there for you to collect yourself before proceeding. If your destination is a meteor, then you're already on your way to a biome predicated on managing an endless stream of flying enemies. I certainly don't blame you for not finding it your cup of tea, but it's clearly a considerate change that brings numerous game elements together into a consistent whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Smashing plants in the jungle. If really want to turbo-farm it then you can build an array of actuated jungle grass with two spaces between every row, I suppose.

Honestly, though, the game is tuned with the understanding that fishing will quickly grow tedious if you're doing it for more than a few minutes at a time, and I don't strain to break from the schedule they've incentivized.

This is my two paragraph guide, if anyone cares for one: you refrain from fishing until you've got a surplus of iron at the very least, although I honestly can't usually be hosed until I've cracked open the Eye. Aside from letting you make a rod worth a drat, this also puts you in enough equipment to comfortably make the overland jaunt to stake out some ponds and go find the Angler. If, at this point, you've collected any water-breathing potions, you bring those with you to the ocean, because you want some motherfuckin coral. This early stage of the game also coincides with about the time you should have a small cache of worms (either from cans of them that you found in caves, or by spending a rainy day swinging a net in town) and some spare fallen stars; you combine them to make 35% bait, which is really rather decent.

From there, you embark on a fishing trip only to take up the Angler on his quests, and hey, with that coral and waterleaf you got during your grand surface expedition, you can start popping sonar potions on the very first trip. The real meta strategy you employ here is to fish for eight minutes (which is the duration sonar and fishing potiona, and exactly twice the duration of two crate potions), throwing every quest fish you get in a piggy bank, because the game will prevent you from catching any extras if there's one in your character inventory. You withdraw and stockpile these in chests next to your angler so that you can just hand them over immediately on subsequent days.

Between crates and multiple days of zero-effort angler rewards, you rapidly end up with enough bait to remain fully stocked in perpetuity.