Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excelzior posted:

I made a world to sate my OCD, dug out trenches around the corruption, etc...

when I got to Hell (gorgeous new background!) my pets instantly killed a Voodoo demon

now I'm in Hard mode and my trenches aren't lined with wood :negative:

How wide do the trenches need to be to keep corruption/hallow from spreading? 5 blocks wide with a crafted block covering to prevent enemies from spitting their poo poo on to it to spread it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excelzior posted:

I've always thought you needed 3 empty spaces past a crafted block to handle the vines. I usually do 1 layer of wood/3 empty spaces/1 layer of wood. Haven't had any surprises so far

p.s. the murder of crows build owns even more with an added accessory slot :c00l:

Alright I'll give that a try. Last time I played I think I had my trenches 6 or 7 blocks wide and I used stone brick (since I had thousands of stone blocks) to line it so if I can keep it narrower that'd be nice.

Jabarto posted:

You don't need to line your trenches. As long as there are 4 empty tiles between the two sides nothing can spread across it.

Do enemies no long have projectile attacks that spread corruption/hallow? Because I thought those attacks were the entire reason you line your trenches.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Man, as fun as this is over starbound at times I cannot believe these assholes still do not make autoswing a default function. Is there an easy way to edit the game to make everything autoswing or is the OP's AHK script the most :effort: way to do it effectively?

Fishing is awesome as gently caress too. A couple hours in to a game with friends I managed to fish up the shark pick with 100% pick strength, using a lead rod and some 20-25% strength bait, while we still had copper/lead armor and a couple tungsten picks. Went and broke 2 crimson orbs for more weapons afterwards because this pick is awesome as hell and also does 16 damage so it's my main melee weapon too in normal difficulty.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tried taking on the Dungeon boss with some friends earlier. Two of us in full crimson gear and another in meteorite with the gun. I had a gun from the crimson orbs with +damage on it and I think I did 1-2 damage per hit against the boss. Crimson cloud did about 1-3 per hit and we didn't even do 1k damage before we died. What the ever loving gently caress? We had minor issues with the Eye of Cthulhu (mainly due to bad armor) and we pretty badly destroyed the Brain (several times) but the dungeon boss is just total poo poo, unless the hands die pretty quickly. I guess it's on to hell instead to collect Hellstone to make the gear from there so we can retry the dungeon later. Or maybe the Jungle. Is the Queen Bee worse than Skeletron? I was able to make an imp staff from my trip to hell and the little guy seems promising and if the bee armor set lets me summon even more imps that'd be awesome.

How low is the Medusa Head drop rate on normal? I'm sorely tempted to farm one because they sound kinda amazing.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Autoswing is in the game, but only for some swords. Things like picks and hammers always have autoswing, though.

I know it's in for some swords, which makes it even more idiotic that they still do this. Yes Redigit, please make me click repeatedly to attack if I don't want to fight using a mining pick, or get lucky enough to fish up a Falcon Blade.

As much poo poo as Chucklefish get for Starbound issues Tiy's at least smart enough to add that QoL aspect. That 1.3 didn't include such a change is serious bullshit.

Trasson posted:

I can't speak for other bosses, but Expert Eye of Cthulu was actually really fun.

Except he's almost impossible to dodge.

Omi no Kami posted:

...so I spent 20 minutes excavating a huge empty space around my grinder to ensure nobody spawned where my minecart couldn't reach, and when I finished, I found like five metal detectors sitting among all the mined blocks and gel 0_0

I think I missed this in past pages but what's a grinder in Terraria?

The Duggler posted:

I died at the edge of hell in my Mediumcore game and ragequit and then immediately realized that my stuff is going to disappear.

I don't know if I can start again

Soft/medium/hard core should be renamed to "sane," "dumb," and "you're loving retarded" to more accurately describe them. I tried mediumcore once when it was new and after losing half my gear in a cave I gave up on it forever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

When playing in full screen is there a setting I'm overlooking to keep my mouse cursor from going off-screen? This seems to be one of those games that doesn't prevent you from doing so, and will happily minimize the game if you scroll to another monitor.

Infinity Gaia posted:

On Expert Mode his head has super high defense while the arms are still alive, you pretty much HAVE to kill them first. I'd also recommend a proper arena and lightning boots or similar for his phase 2, since his headspin is now VERY quick. Also, if the world you're playing on is Crimson, I'd recommend making a secondary Corruption world just to get the Expert EoW item, which is pretty much super essential in Expert.

Might do that. In the meanwhile we went to the jungle and managed to kill the Queen Bee in a hive. The setup we use is to setup a respawn nearby and a house for the nurse. If someone's hurt and the boss isn't focused on them they run to the nurse, heal, and run back, with potions being emergency "I can't get away" items. Killing bosses in Expert gives SO MUCH MONEY though. I think I'm over a platinum already because the Queen Bee would give like 15-20 gold and then I'd get even more from the treasure bags. :iia:

Several bee kills later we all have the bee gun, two of us are using the bee armor + 3 imps, and I have the bee mount. Haven't tried skeletron yet but I'm figuring with the bee mount I can more easily avoid him and fire bees wildly since they'll turn and home in on him while my 3 imps are blasting him and his arms.

Million Ghosts posted:

setting up a Blood Moon defensible base you can get in and out of before you have a hook or climbing gear is so tedious, the NPCs are gonna be a blood sacrifice to alleviate my boredom.

Use rope and make it a floating base. You can always climb rope. Just use two sets of doors at the entrance and have it down below where NPCs live so they don't open doors to let flying enemies in.

Blackheart posted:

Well at least buckets stack now, that's a big plus.

I did not know this and I moved about 40 buckets of 1 one at a time :shepicide:

Ixjuvin posted:

The real purpose of the Drill Containment Unit is so that you can build grinders.

Because I'm going to get a Nazar if it kills me

Grinder = the big open kill rooms people make to farm items passively I take it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

You left out the most important thing:

Skip all the early bullshit and just make a metal fishing rod, get a bug net, collect some bait, and go fishing in the Ocean because you can catch a shark pick that is as good as a molten pickaxe, giving you the ability to blow through even crimson/corruption while also doing ~15 damage or so and being autoswing, thus making it a good enough weapon even for some jungle exploration.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Azzents posted:

Slime mount is the most OP boss killer. Nerf this poo poo.

How is this more OP than the bee that can fly around?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

Having now beat normal mode, I really wish they'd put a mode between normal and expert mode, or rebalance expert mode some - Normal mode is mostly a faceroll outside of the moon lord stuff, but doing expert mode with a few friends was really fun up until skeletron - we /nearly/ beat him enough that I'm sure we could have managed with a little more work, but from what I've heard and seen hardmode bosses are just flat out unfair. Requiring near-perfect dodging just isn't reasonable with all that extreme damage bosses start doing on expert.

Having an expert-lite where things are tougher and nastier and a little smarter without some of the super-bullshit some of the expert mode bosses pull would be nice. I mean we could go do it with our lunar gear now but that wouldn't be as fun.

Plus, treasure bags are waaaaaaaaaay nicer than the single-drops from normal mode - trying to farm for some specific boss drops on normal mode is just pure torture, and double droprate in general make some rarer items feel much less obnoxious. Never been a big fan of any item that all but requires an afkfarm trap setup anyway

In my multiplayer game our boss kills so far have gone:

EoC-> BoC -> Queen Bee, and the Queen Bee's drops will make stuff like Skeletron infinitely easier to deal with. Especially the flying Bee mount since you can use it to run away, then warp back to your bed, and repeat.

All while you have 3 imp minions nuke him in addition to all the bees from your bee gun.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Supremezero posted:

This doesn't actually work anymore, unfortunately. They apparently had to fix it in order to make the more realistic liquid flow they added to 1.3 work.

I just used a bucket to scoop honey as it hit the pool I was making and I definitely was duplicating liquid because I made it overflow by mistake. :downs:

Blackheart posted:

Whoa the Bee Gun just obliterates the normal mode dungeon. Sadly I read that the hardmode equivalent isn't nearly as awesome due to the high def on enemies.

The shark tooth necklace's defense piercing effect might help with that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Not long after my multiplayer game got to hardmode I was killing some stuff in Crimson underground in a big open natural room to farm ichor and between the 120 or so ichor, several mimics, and platinum or so worth of gold I got I also got a Crimson Key drop. :toot:

Knowing that as soon as we kill Plantera I can run to the dungeon and grab game-breaker knives? It's a good feeling. :black101:

Summoning seems reall underwhelming early on in Hardmode though. I'm using an imp staff and the spider queen turret staff with a full spider armor set. Still, 4 imps and a spider turret don't seem as good as just throwing on magic-boosting hardmode ore armor and blasting poo poo with the laser gun, ice flower, golden shower, nimbus rod, and poison staff.

Nimbus rod is still one of the most wonderfully OP things you can get early on in hard mode. Why yes, I would like the ability to place two rainclouds via LoS and have them do hundreds of damage per second to enemies that can't help but walk in to the big death pits on either side of me. :getin:

Section Z posted:

gently caress. Died at the last second to the slime king :argh: shoulda had more lighting I guess, but the bombs I tried throwing all barely missed him and blew out the local lighting so I got stunlock pinballed by tiny slimes dealing 1 damage into him like an idiot when it was down to 30 health :saddowns: I shoulda taken more time, but the slime rain had worn out, night had fallen, and I was worried he'd run away at any second or something.

If I'm this much of a fuckup on something that can barely be called a boss, I'm not expecting good thing whenever I hit 200 health for the Eye, or the fact I'm finally scouting around the corruption and packing bombs.

Go fishing. Catch some of the tool fish like the shark and sawfish, pray for a falcon blade from a crate maybe, but fishing is the way to power.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

It super is if you don't farm for it pre-hardmode. Cursed skulls spawn pretty drat infrequently in the hardmode dungeon.

Cursed skulls spawn infrequently in the normal dungeon. :(

I must say though, as soon as you get your base setup, it should be mandatory to make minecart tracks that go from your base to both edges of the world map. Holy hell is it useful. "Hey I want to go to the dungeon that's 6000ft away" ok it takes less than a minute of zipping along on the tracks. You can even lay (flat) tracks fast as hell easily because you just get going at a moderate speed, hold down the mouse button, and mute your speakers. Several minutes and a few thousand track later you've hit the edge of the map.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

You get to spiderman around all over the place and also not fall too your death because you mined out the tile your hook is connected too, as you have others. The web slinger is not represenative of other multihooks at all; its a weird gimmick where you have an absurd number of hooks but the range on them is pitiful so its pointless.

If you can get the ivy whipe or slime hook you'll quickly see how useful real multihooks are though.

I swapped out my ivy whip for a dual hook and I'm kinda regretting it. The dual hook really needs to let both hooks stick in a wall at the same time.

Dareon posted:

Oh, huh, I just encountered that bug.

Meanwhile I am attempting to farm for the Cell Phone. Got everything except one of the fishing accessories and the Metal Detector. :argh:

I've got a tunnel through the Ice Caverns lined with Water Candles, but I'm getting nothing but bats, skeletons, and spiders (The tunnel pierces two spider caves).

Getting the fishing accessories looks like the biggest goddamn slog since with pretty much all the others you can just setup kill zones. Especially in hardmode with the nimbus rod. Except for the Nazar, because those skulls are so goddamn rare and so their rare drop is a bitch to try and get. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

1. Grenades

2. a full stack of Dynamite should do you fine.

3. You may actually end up going too fast to actually see the wall.

#3 isn't true since you can set your own speed, but the problem is that if your track is flat you're going to get hit constantly with the wall's lasers and on expert that's a lot of damage. If you make the track go up and down then you run in to targeting issues.

Mzbundifund posted:

Wyverns you mean? No. They get chunked by any piercing weapon though. Get a cobalt spear or some holy arrows or something.

Golden Shower's nice for dealing with them too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So for summoners, the armor progression is bee, spider, tiki/spooky, then the final set from one of the pillar drops + bars, right?

Beat the mechanical bosses tonight and made the Twins staff and that + spider armor is amazing. 8 little eyeballs flying around, plus my spider queen staff as a little turret, plus a nimbus rod and golden shower for my own personal magic damage. Add in avenger+summoner emblems and accessories with 3-4% damage and it feels so powerful. Once I realized the trick to killing crimson mimics I was breaking them and most other normal enemies easily.

I also ended up with about 145 souls of night after maybe 30 minutes total. Sadly I didn't get the cool hook item from the crimson mimics that I killed but I'm sure that's because it was on one of the two that killed me and immediately despawned afterwards.

Dr. Fetus posted:

They can't do that anymore. 1.2 got rid of that.

That time I spent lining my central area with grey brick and putting up big neat splash gears. All for naught. :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So with these planters you buy are they basically pre-seeded pots or what? And do they still require you to put them in proper layouts in order to harvest them+seeds? IE: firebloom in lava and waterleaf submerged?

Dareon posted:

Bombs. Mass quantities of bombs. Just blast straight down through everything in your way until you reach hell. Warning: May still take hours in a large world.

Unless you hit something that bombs can't get through it takes about 2-3 minutes to bomb t hell in a medium world so if a large world takes more than 10 I'd be stunned. Especially if you've converted your 3-400 bombs in to sticky bombs first.

Omi no Kami posted:

There's also the not-to-be-spoiled thing, which can turn those hours into seconds.

On a related note, when I first needed to make a plantera arena on expert hardmode, I ended up using a bucket full of dynamite to blast most of the jungle's toplayer off

So for plantera as long as you're far enough down to be considered 'underground' he wont go berserk even if you're fighting in a colossal crater?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I was running around collecting mushroom stuff to make a biome for the shroome man and saw a truffle worm.

I didn't have my bug net because I already had more regular bait than I'd ever need. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tried taking on Plantera, got wrecked because avoiding those bouncing spiked balls (which seem to bounce really loving high) and the endless seed bullet stream is impossible. Was considering a go at Duke Fishron but I'm guessing he's probably even harder?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can fish in the underground jungle for Lardfish, which you can use to craft a potion that gives +1 minion for 10 minutes. There's also a furniture item that gives another +1 minion for 10 minutes when you click it, which you can loot from the dungeon.

:stare:

Which item is this? I need it. I need it so very much because 4 sets of Twins minions aren't enough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^^ Are you playing mediumcore and lost your gear that way? If so make a new character because medium/hard core in this game is dumb and either in expert is extremely dumb.

rodney mullenkamp posted:

The Bewitching Table is the one that gives you another minion. You can also buy them from the Witch Doctor once the Wizard moves in.

I have several in my base and though they were just crafting tables. :sigh:

Between that and the potion I should hopefully do a bit better against plantera, though I'm half tempted to just setup some teleporters and cheese him. For now I'm just going to look around for more jellyfish/crab/slime statues and make a bigass heart generator at the top of the arena. Would bird generators work too or do they give nothing as normal birds like bunnies due to being critters?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 16, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

What was the thing you edit to make your cursor giant and more easily visible?

Tyty posted:

They opened my doors. I don't really have my base proofed against that yet, mostly because zombies couldn't get to my doors until recently to bust them open on bloodmoons.

Even in skybases you always put your doors two spaces above the ground since enemies can't open them then (or use actuators + switches on a wall).

People who think Mediumcore on Expert is ok are insane or simply haven't gotten very far yet. There's nothing interesting about dying and now having a race against time (and luck) to recover your gear, maybe, and being hosed out of said gear otherwise. Oh you just dropped your Ankh Shield when you died in lava? Ok go back and grab it... no sorry it's gone forever :fuckoff: scrub.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

no, seriously, the combat in terraria is godawful. 75% of it boils down to gaming the system because if you're fighting anything more complicated than a generic enemy, such as a boss, you're going to be steamrolled without twinking yourself out and/or cheesing poo poo. why else do people get pissed when dumb exploit stuff is removed. adding in dropping poo poo on death is loving dumb.

Don't forget the arbitrary sequence breaking stuff that they remove (and add). People managing to rush right in to the dungeon and grab a chest, maybe two, before the guardian kills them? Now it's faster and even if you somehow avoid it long enough the chests are locked as well so goodluck getting a key and unlocking the chest to loot all in time.

....oh you went down to hell right away and managed to dodge a bunch of enemies that will wreck you in 1-2 shots long enough to loot some chests? Nope. We locked those and you need an item that might spawn in a dungeon chest if you want to loot those now.

By the way have you tried fishing? Because we've added easy to acquire fish that work as hellstone-grade tools, an autoswing melee weapon that's one of the best pre-hardmode, and a few other things. Go grab a reaver shark and then you're free to might through crimson/corruption or just head to hell and get hellstone to make molten gear and skip all the other normal mode progression. We're consistent! :downs:

Tenbux McGee posted:

Seriously, if you're playing on medium in an Expert world, you're some kind of insane self-loathing lunatic. Hardmode underground jungle was batshit insane frustrating enough on softcore, and all I lose is money.

The money trough is probably one of my favorite items. My brother found one almost immediately when we started playing 1.3 and I got one not too long in to hardmode. Total godsend of an item. Drop off your money periodically and also have extra space during those long exploration trips.

Bluemillion posted:

Light Shroomite Digging Claws and a mining potion pretty much let you move through stone at normal speed. Then a medusa turned me to stone and a hallowed mimic jumped onto my head.

I was going full speed in the mechanical minecart and a medusa turned me to stone, cratering me for 300 damage when I fell about a dozen tiles on to some honey blocks. :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Supremezero posted:

You probably shouldn't use the word minimum here. Anyway, you're best off getting shadow/crimson gear for Skeletron. You're skipping two bosses, basically.

Cobalt, Mythril, and Adamantium have extra "powers" just like Palladium, Orichalcum, and Titanium do. They're just extremely generic (and mostly kinda useless).

Though the "new" ores generally have better stats than the old ones. But Titanium still isn't really better than Frost.

1.3 actually updated it so that Pinky specifically has a 100x higher drop rate of the staff than other slimes (so 1%).

That staff needs to be craftable. Not that the slime is terribly useful unless you quite literally start the game with it since the first real summoner gear is from the queen bee, at which point you then go straight to hell and get enough hellstone to make an imp staff because imps are way better than the summoned bees.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So are crimson mimics worth farming for the drain spell or is the regen/damage combo from it pretty worthless against a boss like plantera? Assuming it's not just lovely in general.

Also I've been manually sorting poo poo in to chests all this time because I never realized that not only did the option in your inventory work well, but it works from further than normal chest access distance.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Holy moly, wall of flesh is kicking my rear end on expert. I made 75 blocks of dynamite and set them off with a detonator as soon as I dropped the voodoo doll, but it still had enough health to chase me halfway through the underworld and caress me tenderly with those tentacles.

I'm just going to stack 200 dynamite and blow it up instead.

I though explosion damage doesn't stack?

Read posted:

Amarok probably, you'll have dozens of them if you spend enough time in the ice biome.

And once you kill a mech boss (or all 3) you'll have an even better yoyo dropping constantly when you're in the jungle. I think I got 5 Yeletes in maybe 30 minutes of heart fruit searching and it's really hard to not give up my spider armor and armor of Twins minions to just go all in on a hallowed or frost armor melee set with a legendary Yeletes + yoyo bag.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

30 or so hours in to the game and still no sign of a lost girl. I'm glad to see the rod of discord is also still in the "lol go gently caress yourself" category too. :suicide:

Are there any items/potions that boost drop rates from enemies? Didn't notice one but hoping I missed something. Even a 0 def hardmode armor set that boosts drop rates would be fine at this point.

RatHat posted:

No, probes are just kinda rare. What I did was I put a Water Candle on a sky island, popped a Battle potion, and then held another Water Candle and waited.

I didn't think placing and holding water candles stacked since 1.2 or so? If a character holding the candle stacks with a placed one can multiple characters hold them to stack it further?

Apparition posted:

Just beat WoF for the first time and got into hardmode. I've been smashing up some altars and all that to get more ores but I'm kinda curious, where should I be heading next?

Kill (underground) ice enemies for an amarok yoyo and find the skeleton merchant to buy a yoyo glove+counterweight and make the yoyo bag. Then go kill a hallow mimic for the bow drop (i guess) and you're set on weapons for the mech bosses.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Finally got a Nazar and then about 30-45min later I got a bandage from an angler (most of the time spent making a big bowl to drain a bunch of water in to). Ankh Shield acquired and only took a couple reforges to get +4 defense. :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So it's still going to be worth being a summoner right? Because for pure damage the setup seems to rarely, if ever, compete with melee or even ranged players. Though I'm still using the Twins summon and have no idea when I'd get the Sharknado or UFO minion to replace them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Even on expert I feel like Spider does more DPS than Twins. Summoner hits kind of a slump mid-hard mode, but as soon as you can get Raven/Nado/Ufo/Cells Summoner's DPS skyrockets. I probably wouldn't use Summoner outside of (co-op) multiplayer though, since it's such a glass cannon.

How were the normal spiders doing more than the twins? You get a pair of twins per summon and their base damage is a fair bit higher. Do the spiders just get stuck on bosses and hit rapid fire?

I might just drop summons and go all in on magic (playing with friends who are doing ranged and melee and we like to keep it diverse). Not sure which spells I'd want for main damage on Plantera though. Drop a queen spider turret, put out 2 nimbus clouds and then either use a harp, golden shower, or demon fork spell I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Someone should complain about this stuff to them because wtf does this, dungeon and Helldiving do to shatter the balance of the game?

Chests get locked so you have to progress the way we tell you to because...? Game's fully complete now and this stuff is just tweaks to make sure things work correctly and such so take the locks off already.

I'm honestly shocked they didn't put the reaver shark, sawfish, and hammerhead as hardmode fishing drops (which would make them worthless) or gate them behind killing skeletron and the queen bee. They do a bunch of dumb poo poo to keep people from playing 'out of order' then add drops to fishing that are available immediately and are among the best items pre-hardmode.

Senor Candle posted:

Well since you clearly don't understand the idea of items getting progressively stronger, I figured I'd take it to the logical extreme to make fun of you.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Fishing

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Well thanks man I know what the next patch is gonna be now.

Future Patchnotes:

Using the nurse during a boss fight despawns the boss and kills your character.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Question: Planters can apparently hold any seed in in any kind of planter, but do you still need to submerge them in water/lava/whatever to have them bloom properly so you get plants and seeds both when harvesting?

Nuebot posted:

Since this is turning into a derail I'm going to just say that if it wasn't on a subscription model I'd totally play FFXIV just so I could see if it wound up getting any crazy poo poo like this.

It doesn't, because FFXIV's dev team is actually able to make a good game (now).

Dr. Fetus posted:

So the Dungeon Guardian has a drop now? How are you supposed to kill it?

Teleporters on a timer with traps in between is how I did it in 1.2 or so. you can either magic mirror out to a bed right by the entrance for him to chance you to or try to place an extra teleporter inside the dungeon to teleport you out but a mirror is easier. This will require a 2nd world though. Supposedly the slime mount can help beat him too by bounding on him a bunch.

TWIST FIST posted:

I've been digging out "islands" that are separated from all other blocks by 3 empty spaces and then cleaning them, that stops the corruption from spreading to those.

Make a few hundred sticky bombs and use them to carve 7(?) tile wide tunnels around the corruption and hallow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Excelzior posted:

I, for one, encourage people to play this game whichever way they want without condemning their specific desires as autistic

loving crazy, right?

Well you sure as hell aren't one of the developers working on the game.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Apparently the Jungle decided to eat my Corruption that spawned from the Wall of Flesh. I didn't know that was a thing that could happen. The area in the red circle is the only bit of Corruption that survived. At least the Hallow spawned normally.

You do realize the jungle's eating your hallow too, right?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Going to create a new world and try this out. Wish me luck.

Aren't you going to have to place chests every 15-20 blocks or so for this to work?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't imagine placing one every 25 blocks would be any faster than placing one every three blocks as long as you're getting them with an inventory editor.

In fact, placing more chests is probably easier because you can just hold down left click.

You also need to place the chests down the sides of your jungle abyss too so the meteors don't just get stuck in the side of the wall don't you, or is it a straight up and down position that's decided?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Was having a ton of issues with Plantera just utterly wrecking me and some friends. It turns out we made the arena so big that about 80% of the open space didn't count as jungle, so plantera was constantly enraging. :shepicide:

Placing a bunch of strips of mud and throwing jungle grass seed on them so that they can (hopefully) make the entire arena count as jungle again since the default background wall doesn't seem to do it (or too much is missing for it to help).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Inge posted:

I've found ichor stickers tend to spawn mostly at the bottom of crimson chasms. Look for a big open space, choose a chasm, drop down, kill sticker, fly up about 4 screens wait 15 seconds, grapple a wall, drop down again. Usually net about one ichor drop of 2-5 a minute.

I just started a crimson world with an eye, kill the EoC on route to crimson, smash hearts kill brain, walk to dungeon, wait for night and summon skelly. Hellevator, hellbridge, wof, all up about 20-30 minutes to get a less inconvenient source of ichor.

If you put a bed in the crimson :v:

How to farm ichor:
1. Find a crimson area with a decent open area (your BoC arena, for example).
2. Place some platforms around the ceiling. A walkway with some space above it to jump is fine too, and then place a water candle on it when you're done.
3. Deepen the room so the floor is off screen far enough to spawn enemies.
4. Clear out any obstacles and flatten the floor. If tunnels lead in to the area you can either wall them off just make sure the path is easily traveled by enemies (better choice).
5. Place Spider Queen turret summon on the floor beloy you (don't need to be able to see floor), and use a nimbus rod above your head, hold second water candle (optional).
6. Go down periodically to collect your pile of drops.
7. If you hear metal getting hit pay attention in case it's a crimson mimic and not a regular one. If it's a crimson mimic, you can run back and forth shooting it as it jumps up at you. If it lands on the platform walkway, just drop down and immediately fly/rocket boot back up on to it. The mimic will fall to the ground and resume jumping up at you while you and your summons (and nimbus clouds when applicable) kill it.

I did this for 30 min or so, without water candles, and had hundreds of ichor and several platinum. Ended up with about 150 souls of night as well.

SaffronKit posted:

Medusa are probably the worst enemy they've added to the game since I last played hands down. There is no other enemy that can just end you from offscreen despite being so kitted out nothing can even touch you aside from bosses. You just turn into a rock and smash into the ground with no warning aside from maybe hearing them growl once.

Why no, I haven't had this happen to me a couple of times after buffing up with all my potions to start a fight with Plantera I don't know what you're talking about.

They also cancel your mine cart. Imagine your scenario, but moving at 102 mph so you hear the sound and turn to stone and fly another screen or two before shattering against something. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

On the bright side, you got one of his cool drops at the point where they're actually relevant.

Shadowflame dagger never stops being amazing for exploration under ground. A fast auto-firing throwing dagger that makes light? Even in my summoner setup I burn through hardmode jungle enemies with the thing. It's better than the hex doll magic even when I'm using magic gear.

Vargs posted:

I don't understand how anyone could play this game on a server with random goons. Just gonna join up on a fresh character and welp, world's already in hard mode and there are chests full of endgame gear. Grab those outta there and game over, roll credits I guess.

In the multiplayer game I'm doing we only progress when we can all play. Though we do some buildup of the base or stockpiling resources or farming bullshit drops for Ankh Shield/PDA on the server on our own so that when we do play it's not an hour or two of someone fishing while the others harvest plants or add rooms for NPCs/storage/whatever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

grancheater posted:

I thought I was ready to take on the Golem.

Turns out my Golem room intersects a marble biome :negative:

Lots of sticky bombs will make quick work of that lovely biome. :hellyeah:

Just beat golem in my multiplayer world and holy loving :lol: I can't believe how easy he still is. Farming the hardmode dungeon is more challenging than killing the golem in multiplayer. Especially when one person has turtle armor and vampire knives and can pretty much outpace the golem's damage while the other tow hit it for 500-1000+ DPS.

Maybe they still think people don't disable traps or something. I bring wire cutters and snip the lines while my minions tear through the enemies. Then once I get a picksaw I go back and collect all the traps. Dozens of spears and spike ball traps for a glorious deathpit for frost and pumpkin moons. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So what's the best way to trigger a UFO invasion, place a water candle on a sky island, chug a battle potion, and hold another water candle?

Also finally got a radar (made a new world because fuch the finish rng) and made PDA then upgraded to a cellphone. :woop

YF-23 posted:

I'd got the pirate stuff and discount card I think in my first pirate invasion. Which was good, because pirate invasions will loving murder you if you're not on the level where you could stand up against the mechanical bosses, and I definitely wasn't ready, so some compensation was due for that. :catstare:

Dig a pit, put a floating room above it with a door opening over the pit. Get a nimbus rod and spider queen staff. Congrats, you just beat the pirate invasion!

oddium posted:

combine all those fragments from the lizard temple into clay tablets and farm solar eclipses until money is a petty concern

If you feel insane you can try doing this on the pumpkin moon event too but surviving wave 15 on expert is impossible unless you're running away at full speed via a world-wide cart track or maybe the UFO. Last night I counted 9 Pumpkings when I got sandwiched and mulched by them. There's probably dozens of mourning woods too.

The Spooky Armor is much better than the Tiki armor too isn't it? You get less summons but you have significantly more damage. Using dragon staff + spooky armor and then the tiki necklace, avenger emblem, papyrus scroll(?), beetle wings, ankh shield (sometimes swapped for worm scarf), and frostspark boots. It seems to do decently but holy poo poo the moon lord just blows me away, especially when his big fuckoff beam cannon fires.

DoubleNegative posted:

Go for it. Large worlds have shitloads of materials to use and lots of space in which to build.

That warning is mostly a holdover from the 1.1 thread, where I'm sure it had a good reason for existing. I'm just too lazy to edit it out.

In older versions, large worlds didn't have that much more ore and other stuff than medium worlds did, so you ended up with the ore and treasure simply being spread out more with lots of extra dirt and rock and other garbage in your way. If ore density is uniform now then the only reason not to make a large world is because, well, it's huge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

S.T.C.A. posted:

I thought Solar pillar was bad, but Nebula is a thousand times worse by far just because of those teleporting guys that may as well be unignorable crawltipedes since they teleport in front of you as you're moving, causing melee damage every drat time.

First pillar we went after was to make a dragon staff and after that was vortex. By the time the multiplayer game I was in got to the other two we had vortex beat and space dragon murder for all the enemies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Build a platform right at the edge of your map either to the top left or top right in space. Position it so its about the middle of the screen with nothing to scroll toward the edge. Put some blocks and some wall to stand against ( so wyverns don't spawn.) + battle potion and water candle. Might just need water candle.

Fastest I've had a probe spawn was right when I got there.

I think I set one about where you suggested (near the top of the world but not the very top of it and it's in the middle of the screen with the left side being the edge of the world) and so far all I'm getting is a shitload of harpies. :(

e: The harpies are still dropping pirate maps. Do I need to go up higher to the very edge so space music plays? Still doesn't help. I get about 15 harpies or so and that's all. Killing them just gets another 15. :/

e2: The pillars are out in the world right now, could that be preventing them from ever spawning? If damaging it also can trigger the event I might just idle with a bunch of imps since they probably can't kill the probe fast enough(?), but would still kill the harpies.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Network Pesci posted:

Absolutely. I don't know for sure about the pillars because I haven't beaten them yet, but I was searching fruitlessly for probes all through an Eclipse and less than a minute after it ended I found one.

Yep, as soon as the pillars were gone I went back and UFOs popped up almost instantly. :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's a shame the space dragon is worthless for Moon Lord since you'd have to be suicidally close for it to go after him. Beat Moon Lord a couple times in multiplayer but I think I might just have to make a vortex beater and ranged gear to be able to kill him more easily/often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LightningSquid posted:

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for this (and the rest of the advice you gave in the post). I made my own, and with a teleporter to the nurse it's perfect for farming Expert Moon Lord. Especially after you get the Star Wrath!

This works in expert? He hits like a truck filled with trucks made out of other trucks, or does going full beetle armor + warding accessories make it bearable?