Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Do the rare spawn NPCs just disappear? I've seen "unconscious man" and "bound woman" a couple of times on my Lifeform Analyzer, but every time I've gone to look for them, going backwards and forwards then up and down, they disappear before I can find them. Are they getting killed before I can find them? Do I have the blood of innocent tavernkeeps and stylists on my hands?

I honestly just want to finish off my NPC towns in certain biomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah the Analyzer will say "bound woman" and I'll keep going in the direction I'm going, until it stops saying it, then go back until it says it again, and start going perpendicular to the direction of travel, then lose it, then come back and try to find the signal again, by which time it's usually gone. I checked the wiki and it said to find a spider cave, and go towards it and away from it until you get the spawn then head in and search properly.

Of course, if I can find a Magic Conch, I'll stop bothering, because all I want to do is stop having to hop all the way to the ocean to get fishing quests.

edit: yeah Scarab Bombs are awesome, and fossils aren't too hard to find either to make them. Hellevators never looked so easy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

President Ark posted:

not that i know of, but the mount dropped by the slime king affects falling speed (i think; its gimmick is stomping enemies with it does damage)

I was messing around in Journey Mode with god mode on and because my gear was for trash, Skeletron was literally taking 1 damage every time I hit it. Ended up getting up and getting a coffee while it went on after the end of this clip.

https://i.imgur.com/UBBMcWG.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Geared myself out completely with terrasavr, master mode, god mode off, and gave Moon Lord a try. It's brutal. Big arena, plenty of space to fly around, all the buffs I could think of and full Solar armour with a Legendary Zenith and I can't keep up with the damage. Either the beam gets you, or if you're dodging it well the six-pack eyeballs it leaves around the place do. The roadblock is that there's times when it can damage you while you can't do damage, when the eyes are closed. I tried a method on saw on YouTube where they had The Black Spot and outran it across the map; it teleports to you but if you can keep the rhythm going you can keep outrunning it and dodging the beam weapon. But I ran out of map on a Large world and had to turn around at the end, which damaged me too much and then I flew into a group of eyes and got splattered. For that one I tried switching between an Unreal Vortex Beater with Chlorophyte bullets and a set of Legendary Vampire knives to try and get my health back, but I was never doing enough damage with the Knives to get enough healing to stay on top of the incoming. I think I got one hand down and some damage on the main eye and not much on the other hand before I lost that run. It might be do-able with practice.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ has been updated for 1.4

It's fiddly but once you get the hang of it it's fine.

Also, there's an option there to just unlock all research for Journey mode characters. I used that for my kid's game so she can have whatever she wants.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I didn't even know there was a Mushroom Pylon

I also just learned that after you 100% the Bestiary, there's a Universal Pylon that works anywhere non-evil and doesn't require NPCs around to function.

Spoiler'd that in case people want to find out for themselves.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What time/day/timezone? Chances are if it's a regular time for American folks it'll be drunk time for Australians :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The rolling cactuses are there to clear out antlion larvae nests. I'm convinced they were put in as something for the player to use.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was messing around with tEdit (thanks for the tip btw) and saw something on one of my maps that seemed a bit odd. A switch wired to lava? Alright, let's check it out.

Yep, a pressure plate switch that opens up a lavafall above you. Pretty neat!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It used to be that the forehead beam didn't pierce through walls, so you could make yourself a little box and use your Solar Eruption to kill it, after stacking yourself up with all of the +regen and +defense buffs you could get.

Now it goes through walls.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I can't get liquids to work in tEdit - seems like you should just be able to lay them down like any other tile, but they just, I dunno, don't work?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Estel posted:

The pencil, brush and fill tools have different modes, selecting the liquid mode let's you choose the liquid and add it or remove it like any other tile/wall.

I somehow had the eraser tool selected at the same time, so it wasn't doing anything to the empty void I was trying to fill with water. So thank you, without your screenshot I wouldn't have realised it!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And yet...

https://old.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/gwqm3n/my_hc_character_was_killed_in_my_base_by_torches/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Johnny Joestar posted:

if their base is somehow in the underground layer and they're literally just using entirely torches to light it up instead of the wide variety of other lighting sources then i don't pity them in the least

decorate better, nerds

:agreed:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That sounds alright for a laugh, the excessive health pools of enemies on Master isn't so bad once you get a weapon with a bit of knockback but just getting over that hurdle can be tough.

Edit: actually I've never played a FTW map, is it just "for the worthy" as the seed?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

That sounds alright for a laugh, the excessive health pools of enemies on Master isn't so bad once you get a weapon with a bit of knockback but just getting over that hurdle can be tough.

Edit: actually I've never played a FTW map, is it just "for the worthy" as the seed?

Trip report: huh, dandelions can kill you. Bunnies kill you. Oh hey why aren't I picking up that bomb that came out of a pot?

Oh.

Pots can kill you.

I died seven times in the first 6 minutes. It's just overwhelming, I managed to get to a chest near the spawn point but it just had some climbing claws in it. I wonder if that's on purpose, so you don't get anything too quickly. I checked the map out in tEdit, and I like the way it messes with the placement rules, with lava at the surface and corruption in the sky islands. Also, there are a ton more trapped chests, with multiple dart traps, explosives and boulder drops attached. It seems like the ore deposits are larger as well? I don't think it's doable without cheating yourself in a baseline of weapons; slimes overwhelm you and zombies one-shot you, with no good way to keep them off you.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I started that off again, and grenades is a great idea. I've got the demolitionist and the guide underground, and pens for zombies and slimes where I can get up to a safe position and bomb them to death.

Saw this earlier on reddit: Inner tube + waterfall = Terraria Space Program

https://i.imgur.com/pTi10nq.mp4

He gets up to 685mph.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Speleothems is the word for all secondary mineral formations like that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Peachfart posted:

Don't forget that pyramids can be buried. The last few I have found were underground.

I honestly thought they could only be underground, before I just looked it up now. I've never seen them protruding on the surface.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's the 5 year anniversary of 1.3

1.3 Patch Notes posted:

You now get fishing rewards for every 5 turn ins, versus the previous requirement of 10.

:suicide:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Finally killed Moon Lord, got a good rhythm going of killing the pillars, making a couple of sigils, killing him a couple of times, getting back to the dungeon and killing the cultist, pillars, moon lord. 11 kills got me enough to finish Zenith. I thought to myself "good thing he drops a fair bit of money, this is probably going to clean me out".

Under a platinum and a half for Legendary. I'm never that lucky.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have more than 140 fishing quests on my current world and don't have a Bottomless Water Bucket. MMOs went to a model of the bosses dropping a couple of items of loot and then currency, so you could always be working towards something as opposed to the possibility of killing it 20 times and never seeing what you want, and Terraria could probably use something similar.

That being said, for the $10 I spent and the hours I've gotten out of it, I'm not complaining.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tin Tim posted:

You need to be in hardmode for it to drop, in case you aren't. And it's kinda bullshit imo since you can fish the lava bucket/sponge in normal mode but the water bucket/sponge is way more useful for pre-hardmode construction than the lava stuff is

I actually just got it last night. I started playing on my other steam account when Journey's End came out, so my kids could play on my main account. I hadn't done any fishing quests, and did around 40 to get the cell phone parts before Hardmode. I'm currently sitting on 190/200 for that achievement, so it took 150 quests to get it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
An Onyx Blaster isn't too hard to farm up and pretty effectively with Ichor bullets. A Dart Pistol or Rifle is also pretty easy to get, farm up Souls of Night to make keys and convert chests into mimics, and the Daedelus Stormbow brutalises The Destroyer if you have a good farm for Souls of Light.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Psychedelicatessen posted:

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...96#post-2084933

Here's some of the accessory rebalances coming to 1.4.1. The hero shield buff still seems a bit weak compared to the frozen shell shield, but everything else looks pretty good.

Even the crappiest wings in the game in Sky Chests is a very big early game changer, especially considering all you need to get to the Sky Islands is a stack of wood and some patience.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh god, he's actually going to try to do it.

hopefully without reading the description first

also the fishing quest achievements going 1, 10, 25, 50, 200 is bullshit

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 8, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Moreau posted:

Didn't they build the Moon Lord so that they weren't as effective? If so, Id say that's a high sign that they are indeed that effective

I still haven't had any drop in this run, though since I'm now post Moon Lord, I don't mind hopping to some other worlds where I'm sure I have some lying around. For one thing, I need to get an enchanted sword so I can try out Zenith

There aren't any limitations on moving a character between worlds with different difficulty types, are there? Was thinking of fooling around in an Expert or Master world whilst I suffer through 200 fishing quests.

Yeah Moon Lord was changed a little while ago to inflict a debuff that removes all healing from weapons. So Vampire Knives and Spectre Armor were deprecated as tactics.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Once tmod loader is updated to 1.4 I'm probably just going to use Veinminer.

God I love Veinminer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it needs a white string, a yoyo glove, and a [colour] counterweight.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also after you reach major steps in the game you'll get a message in the chat box telling you something else has happened. Killing the mechanical bosses gets you "the jungle is growing restless", for example.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Man who did I piss off to stop Lost Girls from spawning? I've got a hollowed out area, cavern layer, with walls of mud and jungle grass seeds spread around until it became an underground jungle. Running back and forth I get tons of mimics, moths and undead merchants but haven't seen a single Lost Girl in hours of farming. I've nabbed three Uzis from the Angry Trappers that have spawned, if you want to know how long I've been on this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also at some point in time you'll realise you have more than one chest full of nothing but dirt.

You can throw it out, it's ok. It's just dirt.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what no, what if i need to craft an artificial biome someday? like a mile-long strip of glowing mushroom grass?

Glowing mushroom grass grows on mud blocks, not dirt

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My underground jungle farm for Lost Girls ended up spawning enough Life Fruit to get me to 500hp and then it spawned a Plantera bulb. Turns out with a few platforms it was the perfect arena to fight the boss as well. The Golem room was really small, but I drained all my buff potions and got that done. Killed Fishron with a Terra Blade projectile just as I died and got the least useful drops. Killed the Lunatic Cultist with Beetle armour on. Did 3/4 of the pillars and made myself a Solar Eruption.

Still don't have a metal detector.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
How does the corruption/hallow spread when you've got it blocked? I have a stripe of corruption about 400 bricks wide and deep enough to hit the cavern layer, surrounded by a 10-block air gap and a 5-block layer of grey brick on the sides and bottom. I went to a lot of trouble to block it off because it's near my main base and I don't want to have to come back and clentaminate them and juggle NPCs after they leave corrupted housing. But every now and then I'll notice it spreads past the barrier at the bottom or sides. I thought it couldn't jump across a gap like that?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zereth posted:

Did you hammer out the back wall?

Oh poo poo, can walls spread corruption? Because I sure didn't smash them out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Railway track works, so does asphalt, speed boots and a well-fed buff. If you can get up to (I think) 82mph, he can't touch you. And asphalt is made with something you've been collecting since literally minute one of the game.

Edit: yeah, that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
how long have bomb fish been sticky bombs for

how long have I been living this half life of ignorance

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"dammit I'm out of bombs, I just want to mine out this big gold deposit and go back to base"

"I know, I'll dig a little hole for these bomb fish I've got so they won't bounce around"

"huh, that kinda looked like it stayed right where I dropped it, I wonder..."

*checks wiki*

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Happy tenth anniversary Terraria! Tenth anniversary spoilers here:

https://terraria.fandom.com/wiki/Secret_world_seeds#Celebrationmk10