Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not playing on expert mode but I am noticing WAY more explosives traps underground than I'm used to seeing.

I've found two explosives so far, but both of them were wired to detonators instead of the normal hidden pressure plates. Barring an errant right click, they were harmless and easily harvested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I didn't see this mentioned yet, but has the GPS always worked in your inventory? Because it and the R.E.K. 3000 both function while in your inventory; they don't need to be in your accessory slots. So awesome.

I started a new character and world for this update, and I don't ever remember having so much fun. I lucked out early on and found the Enchanted Sword in the granite sub-biome and it slaughters everything pre-hardmode. I haven't started hardmode yet.

Also, yo-yos are amazing once you realize you can freely move it around for the duration while holding the mouse button.

Edit: Also, SLIME MOUNT!! It doesn't move very fast but it jumps amazingly high.

Edit 2: Did I say how good the Enchanted Sword is? It autoswings and shoots a high damage glowing projectile every second. I haven't used a single torch or flare in ages.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 2, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

Okay it did change. That's annoying.

What are those borders around some of your items?

Alt+leftclick marks an item as favorite. It disables quick trash, chest stacking and selling. Good for stackable items that you want to keep some of in your inventory, as well as all your valuable items so you don't accidentally trash them.

Edit: I love how useful the npcs are in invasions now. When I had my first goblin invasion, all my npcs were down in the battle area helping kill stuff. The demolition man uses explosives, gun guy shoots them, paint guy was using a chromatic paint sprayer, etc. 1.3 would have been a $20 expansion for any other game and I would have paid it gladly.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm having a problem. How do you farm fireblossom in 1.3? In 1.2 you just partially submerged the plants in lava and they would bloom and you could harvest them. In 1.3, it's breaking the fireblossom off and not giving me seeds. I used to run around the nether making a 1x1 enclosure for mature fireblossom plants and getting the plants+seeds. Doesn't work anymore.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Abandoned Toaster posted:

According to the Wiki they changed Fireblossom blooms. Instead of needing lava they bloom from 3:45 pm to 7:30 pm.

Heh, that would explain it. Did another Hell run and got away with 40 fireblossoms and 60 seeds, using the Staff of Regrowth. I think I'm set for a while.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

Early on you can fish up a Falcon Blade and that's going to be better than any yoyo you'll see before hardmode. Especially if the skeleton merchant is being a jerk and not showing up.

I assume that the skeleton merchant is a rare creature and my REK 3000 will show it? Is there any special secret to finding one? Is it just a rare spawn like the bound goblin, lost girl and such? Does it stay around if you leave the area or does it despawn?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

I dug a trench from one edge of the map to the other at about lava level... twice before I found him. I haven't gone looking for him again.

Finally found him randomly. Hunter potion does light him up, though. Edit: he is not considered a rare creature.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I farmed hallowed mimics for the Daedalus Stormbow, and that combined with Holy arrows murdered the destroyer. I killed him enough times to get decked out in hallowed armor then killed the other two. It also murdered Plantera. I'm waiting to kill the Golem until I farm some more gold to get warding on all my accessories, since the stormbow will be useless for that fight.

E. Unless the golem area is bigger than it looks on the map.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Whatever works, right? This event is so dumb. I'm just sitting here in my mushroom farm holding my yo-yo over the boss until it dies, repeatedly. Not sure how many more I need to kill to complete the event, but at least I got the ufo mount, yay.

Edit: Ok, boss gives 5% progress.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 5, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

I was aware, but not of what Skeletron's was, so i was guessing. Is his charge move not actually different from the normal mode one? I guess the answer for that person's problem is "run away better".

why aren't you using pots/planters?

I suppose because it looks better that way.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Anyone had trouble getting a Megaphone to drop? I've killed over 200 dark mummies and almost 400 pixies and I have yet to see one drop. I know the wiki says it's a 1% drop but I think I should have had at least one drop so far...

Edit: Since I have the infinite water bucket I'm thinking about the feasibility of making a green jellyfish farm...

Edit 2: Meanwhile I've just had my fifth fast clock drop.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 6, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

kazil posted:

Medusa aside, the Ankh Shield is the best accessory in the game and you are crazy if you think it's not worth it.

Megaphone was literally the last item I needed to make it. I started making a green jellyfish farm and it dropped in like 10 kills. Something's buggy with the dark mummy / pixie megaphone drops. Or I had REALLY BAD rng.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

pon alien posted:

The laser drill from the martians is so poo poo.

On the other hand, the ufo mount is the best thing ever. I cannot imagine fighting the cultist or some of those pillars without being able to fly around randomly with my swarm of killer ufo minions murdering everything. And the ufo mount goes just slightly faster than the moon lord so I just kited him over my base repeatedly with mirror trips to the nurse. I haven't used wings or spectre boots since I got that mount. Got the Celestial shell for water.

Edit:
Just a relaxing day fishing in the underground Crimson.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 6, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Here is my crazy mess of a base. Like Tamayachi said, I only have a vague idea of what's in most of them. Important crafting materials are in the water chest next to the forge; the rest are just a hodgepodge of everything. And I have a hallow encroachment on the right side that I badly need to push back. I do have a teleporter network at least; one switch to the dungeon, one to the jungle and one to my favorite fishing spot. Medium world.

Also, why isn't my chlorophyte farm working? That's been like that for the past .. 30 hours or so. Ended up farming the jungle for the chlorophyte bullets I needed to kill Moon lord reliably. Let me say, Vortex beater with shroomite armor and chlorophyte bullets tears him apart. UFO mount required for maximum fun.

Edit:

Geomancing posted:

Man I am not enjoying the Martian invasion event. The little guys are fine but I can't kill the saucers, and I can't end the event because once the saucers are up, the little guys don't really spawn anymore so it's just sitting above my house pounding away, and if I die the damaged one flies away and a fresh one takes its place.

Do you have a good yo-yo? Farm the hardmode dungeon to get one if you don't. I kill the UFO boss while sitting on the second rung from the top of my mushroom farm. Takes a while but is totally painless.
Here's my dungeon farm:

I assume you have Plantera's grenade launcher? Just make a big open area like that, buy rocket III's from the cyborg and launch them nonstop. Use a yo-yo or similar for the skulls and stuff. You can easily make a profit on ammo and you get all kinds of great loot.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 7, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I thought I took a screenshot but I'm afraid words will have to suffice for this. The Terrarian with yo-yo bag is absolutely INSANE. I just finished a Pumpkin Moon where I had wave 15 go on for at least 3 minutes. At the end, it was a hilarious moshpit with 5-6 pumpkin kings and an equal number of mourning woods all clumped up with me standing in the center holding the yo-yo over the mess. Thanks to the cross necklace, they couldn't damage me faster than I could kill one and get all my life back from the hearts. I ended up getting 3.5 plat and 2 gold chests full of loot after it was all over.

I did that in shroomite armor; I really should look into a melee armor set so I actually get some bonuses for the yo-yo.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Disgusting Coward posted:

Dang man how can dude make so many improvements and still have such a horrifically awful crafting interface?

I dunno man, doesn't seem that awful to me.

Edit: What I can make with my primary storage chest.

Click on an item, it selects it to be crafted.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I have a hint for players new to hard mode: before you kill the wall of flesh, find a floating island, extend a platform out one side a hundred blocks or so and farm harpies until you get a harpy feather. As soon as you kill the wall of flesh, go back to that platform farm and kill wyverns for 20 souls of flight for harpy wings. It's the easiest way to get wings that I know of, and you can't beat the maneuverability and slow fall boost for killing the destroyer.

Also, before you kill plantera, go to the dungeon and set up a farm; I like a big empty room that extends about 2 screens. After you kill plantera, load up on rockets from the cyborg, and use the grenade launcher to farm dungeon mobs for better gear.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I backed up my 1.2.x characters and worlds and started a new set for the latest update. I decided to stock up on a few crates in preparation for hard mode so I can upgrade to adamantite right away, and ... I think I have a problem. Send help.

Not sure whether I have enough now or whether I should get a full stack of corrupt crates.

e. I MUST HAVE MORE.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 29, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How do I change the default respawn time to be maybe a second at the longest? I'm loving tired of staring at 'YOU DIED, fuckwad' for an eternity. wasted enough of my life already staring at this stupid poo poo

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure why, but I started a new character in an expert mode world for the hell of it. It was a real shock to see zombies carrying off my gold the first time I died... but I did get extremely lucky by getting sandstorm in a bottle from a pyramid. I followed it up with cloud and blizzard in a bottle and capped it off with flurry boots. Just insane chest rng...

I didn't know that minecart tracks could spawn parallel like this.

Is there any reason not to use life crystals as I find them? I'm not sure what the cutoff point is for goblin army and I want to get a decent equipment set going before I trigger any events. Sitting on 3 right now.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
steve, there's no real reason why corruption or jungle should block your progress; just make a bow and arrows and get good at sniping bats / eaters out of the air. You can go a long ways with a jungle/tundra wood bow and fire arrows and you have practically infinite ammo, just requires a bit of farming. It's what I did in this expert mode world; managed to survive a couple nights in the open with arrow spam.

I finally got the nerve to take on the Eye of Cthulhu and it got murdered with the space gun + meteor armor, then slaughtered a goblin invasion the next morning. About to try expert Skeletron and see what happens.

Regarding King Slime spawning mechanics, the wiki says 'There must be standard, green grass at its potential spawn point'. Does this mean if I pave over the desert with a single tile thick grass carpet that it will be a valid spawn point?

e. Also, the bunny mount is AMAZING for early game mobility. Been fighting everything on it since I got it. It only needs 5 angler quests.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 31, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, but if you want to challenge him, just make a Slime Crown. The chances of him randomly spawning are really low.

Yeah, I know, the wiki says 1 in 300. I can't find any rubies though and I haven't gotten lucky with the extractinator.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Been spamming new worlds looking for a pyramid to raid, using TEdit to preview the worlds first to save time walking across them, and found this monstrosity of a dungeon in this pyramid world. Just... seriously, look at that thing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Any tips for expert mode skeletron? I can't seem to figure out a way to dodge the skull spam of painful death. This is with using a molten fury and full molten armor with accessories 3+ defence.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crimson Harvest posted:

A longer platform, and rocket/spectre boots or better. Just kinda orbit around him once his arms are gone, the skull projectiles also go in a circular arc and wont hit you. Also cthulhu shield to i-frame through stuff.

By 'iframe', you mean it makes me invincible for a certain time? Because when I tried dashing into goblin mages during the invasion I still took damage from their missiles in flight.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

watho posted:

You don't take contact damage.

Ah, thanks.

I don't think they ever intended you to play this at 2560x1440, it breaks some of the mechanics in that you can see enemies spawn and despawn due to how big your vision area is. It may be hard to see in this screenshot, but the starfury stars are going UPWARDS from where they spawn.

edit: this is done using this modified executable and related files.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
New way found to obliterate expert eater of worlds, only need: space gun, meteor armor set, and a 1 tile thick platform. Get the eater to follow you then just spam space gun at its head and watch it die helplessly.

e. bow with jester's arrows works even better. I think I hit more than half the worm with a few. For normal mode before I've just been sitting in a hole and spamming melee on it. That obviously doesn't work on expert with the increased head damage.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 2, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I do wish that they would make the fishing accessories and maybe some others craft-able if crazy expensive, waiting on angler rng for the high test fishing line sucks.

Also, .. chest sorting? Yay. FINALLY.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Managed to beat expert skeletron. The trick ended up being a 2000 long minecart track stretching from my base to the dungeon with most of it just below the surface > sky transition. I took a couple skull hits then he hovered above me spitting them in front completely missing, then chased the minecart whirling, repeat. I had a couple tense moments when I realized I had forgotten to hammer the track stops to bounce but I got him.

e.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 3, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Man, before doing that wacky poo poo I would've instead suggested you raid the jungle or something to get max health.

400 is the max before you kill a hard-mode mechanical boss.

Oh my god, I just crafted the Grand Design and this thing is AMAZING. Place or remove wire stuff from anywhere onscreen, no distance limitations.

e. a word

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

AnimalChin posted:

The Dungeon I found has turned this game from "WOW this is fun and huge and there's so much to do" to "this is bullshit. this is work. this sucks."

gently caress dungeons. 100% gently caress dungeons.

What exactly don't you like about the dungeon? Do you have a grappling hook or the Ivy Whip? A stack or two of sticky bombs are good for nuking spikes. Also, the space gun + meteor armor set is a huge help for stunlocking casters and killing skulls quickly. I've never had much trouble with it pre-hardmode.

e. Space gun + meteor armor imo is a requirement for doing the dungeon.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
It's been about a year since I last was at terraria endgame, but the trick for doing the pumpkin moon is the sword that rains down hundreds of stars or the terrarian yo-yo and just have enough defense and attack to kill the bosses fast enough that you get healed to full from each boss death.

e. this strat was on normal, of course, and just involved standing in one spot raining down death.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 17, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Acne Rain posted:

The important thing about skeletron on expert I saw from Yrimir (which will remain secondhand because fuuuuuuck expermod) is that you need ROOFS TO HIDE UNDER

Or just do what I did and make a minecart track all the way from the dungeon to your base with bumpers. Drink potions, summon skeletron, ride minecart back and forth while shooting him with the meteor gun. Be sure it's a placeable minecart and not the default basic one. He only gets to hit you once at each end and regen should take care of that. Almost all of the skulls just miss you.
e.

Ambaire posted:

Managed to beat expert skeletron. The trick ended up being a 2000 long minecart track stretching from my base to the dungeon with most of it just below the surface > sky transition. I took a couple skull hits then he hovered above me spitting them in front completely missing, then chased the minecart whirling, repeat. I had a couple tense moments when I realized I had forgotten to hammer the track stops to bounce but I got him.

e.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 23, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Early game expert mode is 'make a boreal bow and frost arrows then spam arrows at everything while getting good at leading bats'.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Elth posted:

I'm not sure, I just don't recall ever seeing a bound NPC take damage or die.

They do take damage and possibly die. I know that I was once hunting the stylist npc and the spiders were bumping into her and doing damage.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Fishing really depends on the person... I find it rather zen. It's the angler quest system that sucks.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

grimcreaper posted:

Any mods you would recommend to run with thorium?

I recently got back into terraria and for my 1.3.4 playthrough, I decided to get crazy with mods. Final mod count is almost 40, and they seem to be working ok together. I'm playing an expert mode large world and probably will push into hard mode today. There's something of everything in here. Note that this modlist is for tmodloader 0.9.0.3 and I have not tested the list with 0.9.1.x.

You can download the modpack here from my dropbox. It's about 150mb.

Note that there are quite a few duplicate recipes for accessories and I've just been using the cheapest ones. Can't find ice skates? Craft em. Don't want to grind the fisher npc for the weather radio/etc? You can craft those, too.

Partial mod list: TerraRE, Snake's fishing expansion, even more modifiers, worldgen previewer, JayL mod - fishing, angler reward recipes, item customizer, imkSushi Mod+drops+potions, Summoners association, Which Mod Is This From, Prefixes for Enemies (amazing mod, makes mobs more random and have interesting buffs), Cosmetic variety and legends, Cheeze's Content pack, OmniSwing (makes everything autoswing/autofire, bows, swords, you name it. So amazing.), Alchemist NPC, Helpful Hotkeys, Boss Checklist, Wireless (no more stringing wires everywhere), Calamity Mod, Simple Auto chests, GRealm, Dushy's Upgrade, The Potion Merchant, WeaponOut (highly recommended.. shows your currently equipped weapon), Tooltips+, Shorter Respawn Time, Compressed Potions, Recipe Browser, Fishing 2.0, The Luggage (adds a luggage pet that picks up items, totally awesome), Quality Recipes, Reduced Grinding, Tremor Mod Remastered.

Yeah, it's long. And it's awesome.

e. Have a screenshot of my base.

My active weapon is from Tremor Mod, drops from spiders, and launches egg sacs that explode into spiders that swarm my enemies and poison them. So amazingly awesome.

and world map

I made a minecart run all the way across the map a few dozen tiles below harpy range.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 26, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Turtlicious posted:

Your modpack is my first foray into Terraria modding, do I just drop it into the install folder?

Extract the contents of the tmodloader zip and copy/paste it into \steam\steamapps\common\Terraria, launch terraria then close it, then paste the contents of the Mods directory into \Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mods.

One thing I forgot to put in that zip is TerraCustom, custom world generation. Just stuff the exe in \steamapps\common\Terraria. I used it to ensure I had pyramids and giant trees for this large map.

e. Be sure to go thru the mods list and check to see they're all enabled. They should be..

Oh yeah. I currently have 30 NPCs and haven't gone into hard mode yet. You'll need to build a big house.

Also, despite being able to craft a bunch of accessories, I still don't have a cell phone because I haven't gotten the depth meter yet, those darn bats. Sad times.

Cosmetic variety and legends adds Starwood armor, for a pre-hardmode summoning set. Behold the dino army of doom (from Thorium Mod).

e. Woooow... literally the first bat I kill after saying I haven't found a depth meter yet, drops a depth meter. Hello, first cell phone.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 26, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp, this modpack has some insanely OP stuff. I made a small expert world to test how quickly I could down the wall of flesh, and I killed it in about 15 seconds using the GRealm chain launcher firing beenades. I promptly used it to make the 'Pineapple cannon' using HM ores from a slew of golden crates, upgraded it to +7 using Dushy's upgrade tokens, and killed the destroyer 11 times in one night with zero deaths. I think my fastest kill of him was in roughly 9 seconds when I got my bees to attack him as he was unwinding.

And WeaponOut has a 'Discordant charm' that I can stick in my head vanity slot so grappling hook key will teleport when the rod of discord debuff isn't up. So. Much. Fun.

Just need to kill skeletron prime and then I'm gonna think about converting my main world to hardmode. lmkSushi's mods has a craftable teleporter so I have a fully functional teleporter network pre-hardmode. e. It cost roughly 15 platinum for the wires, but farming queen bee has given me about 40. Money goes fast in this pack... making that +6 megashark easily cost 10 plat for reforges/upgrades.

e2. fun times ahead. megashark+pineapple beenades

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
One thing I really like about Thorium mod is that one can get pre-hardmode wings as soon as Eye of Cthulhu is defeated and the blacksmith moves in. Just kill harpies for their drops and craft 'Flight Wings' and one can have their benefits right away. And with the 'wings slot' mod, they don't even occupy a precious accessory slot.

In case you're wondering, I got the chlorophyte from a golem that spawned for some odd reason. And the reduced grinding mod seems to have a typo for trifold maps because they've been dropping at least 1 per 5 kills... inventory clutter ahoy.