Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm playing this game through for the first time, I've beaten plantera but haven't tried to fight the golem yet. There are a lot of really great things about this game, and I really enjoy most of it - but holy poo poo there are also a lot of really terrible things about it. Finally at the stage of the game where low generation rates of certain items make them an absolute nightmare to gather (lava charm and ice skates, looking at you). Fishing being the "fix" for that is not a workaround, because fishing is the most tedious loving poo poo I've ever done in a video game. Spend an hour getting lovely bait (that you should just be able to buy from an NPC, or should be optional - let me buy a nice hook or something), go to a specific biome, at a specific time (the wiki being the only conceivable way you'll ever figure this out), use all your lovely bait up in 30 minutes of mind-numbing wait-and-click "gameplay", discover that you've fished up 3 crates that drop the item you want at a 2% rate, then make the decision between quitting a game that has this god-awful mechanic as a central gameplay feature, or cheating your way around this god-awful mechanic.

I ended up generating several worlds for all of the terra boot ingredients:
Aglet (there was 1 in my world but the other newbie I'm playing with found it and used it)
Water boots (there was not one in my world anywhere)
Ice skates (there was 1)
Lava charm (there were none in my world).
This being the only way outside of an insane boring timesink to get critical items is extremely bad game design. And some of them don't even have that option, it's literally just world seed RNG, lol.

Besides that it's just inventory being a pain. I'm aware of all the "extra" inventories you can get but they feel like bandaids - this inventory system was clearly put in place before they added so many items - my double-sized inventory is completely full after a 10 minute excursion, then trying to keep an organized home-base storage system for the 10000 unique items is nigh impossible. I'm worried to sell or delete anything because it could end up being an irreplaceable component to a really important late-game item, like the seemingly worthless aglet.

I would also like to add that the NPC happiness system can get hosed. I finally figured out pylons after wiki-diving and youtube-watching for ages, then it kept loving breaking when new NPC's would show up and move in to the partially renovated village setups. So I ended up just making a prison cell in the middle of nowhere, after the pylons constantly broke for seemingly no reason.

Anyway, all this to say - mods when. There's a lot to like about this game and I want to keep playing it, but I need to mod out these rough edges or I'm just gonna quit. Why do these games always have pain and suffering in the form of inventory management and fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That would mean starting over with way less content though. And also the wiki is really the only possible way to play this game as a new player, and going back a major version would mean that tons of it is inaccurate.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Qubee posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think the biggest thing that worries me is the entire world turning corrupted. Putting a stop to it seems like a monumental task, but I like my biomes and don't want everything to be gross and depressing.

I found the spread of corruption incredibly annoying and mind-numbing to actually try and fix. Huge swaths of areas I was actively using pre-hardmode got instantly corrupted in the switch. I wasted a ton of time trying to contain it (large world), and eventually decided I hated it, so I downloaded a world editor and cleaned up all the corruption/hallow outside of small controlled areas. I do not regret it at all and it was absolutely the right decision, that mechanic is really tedious and unfun.

Happy Thread posted:

Homes can get corrupted, which is annoying. Entire worlds cannot. You'll always have some of each biome. You'll actually want their corrupt versions as well. Underground jungle is impervious to corruption.

???

My entire jungle biome got consumed by crimson