Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Played a bit, going to wait for the wiki to update update on all this stuff so I don't have to run around totally blind. Also want to have access to T-edit or whatever to get me basic building materials and potions, because I really don't like having to deforest whole worlds to get the wood I want for my Livingwood house.

Also, for some reason a couple rooms in my new building weren't working, despite meeting requirements, and the system would not tell me why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Whooo, that Eater of Worlds Expert Drop is pretty drat cool. -17% damage taken on an accessory is quite nice.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Stardust Dragon is ridiculously fun. I've switched from mage to Spooky Wood gear even after getting full Nebula Gear because it's so ridiculous. at minion capacity 7 it will eat even martian saucer in seconds, and will just wipe out hordes of regular monsters. If you're just getting to the Lunar Event my recommendation is to do the Stardust one first to get a Dragon staff to make the rest much easier.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
For finding the Skeleton Merchant, I've had decent luck looking in Marble biomes underground. Feels like most of the times I've found him have been in Marble biomes, but that may be just because they're so large and open.

For the Tax Collector, buy a few purification powders and go to hell. You may find a tortured soul enemy down there, if you do, DO NOT KILL IT, insteead throw purification powder on it, and bam! Tax collector.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know what fucks the Moon Lord Right up? A circular Minecart track around 1000 blocks long, which is easier than it sounds since that takes only around 20 iron. With a standard minecart he's unable to keep up, causing most of his attacks to whiff, though the tongue can still get you, as well as a few small shots here and there. I haven't tried it with the mechanical cart yet, but since that goes somewhere around 66% faster than the regular cart it could be pretty neat.

Also, I think I crushed a true Eye of Cthulu with my minecart, somehow.

BTW, this minecart arena was made just outside the dungeon, with a teleporter taking me straight from my base to the arena, meaning I could warp back home, pay the nurse for heals, then warp back, jump in my minecart and go back to being nearly untouchable.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Omi no Kami posted:

How the heck do you keep the moon lord from murdering you? He's blazingly fast, to the point that he usually chases me down and 2-shots me within seconds of the fight starting.

Minecarts outpace him. Make a circular track where you get up to speed and then leave it, add a teleporter from your base, then you can teleport over before he spawns, hop in your cart and be almost untouchable (he may still hit you every other loop or so). If you're near death, mirror back home, heal from the nurse, teleport back and repeat.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Supremezero posted:

Can you post a picture? Sounds interesting.

Due to it being started on a dungeon that was already scraping the sky on a small world, it was difficult to get a picture where it wasn't completely invisible, but I managed through the use of a solar background.

Seen: about a thousand cart tracks (so, around 20 iron's worth), about 4 booster tracks which are nearly pointless, my ghetto pit stop home for dungeon diving before I put down a teleporter instead, and the bridge I used to fight the Moon lord before his tongue got a debuff added to it.

It worked reasonably well for keeping me alive,but it was hard to damage him back because he wasn't even on screen for most of it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Pyroi posted:

So, the Stardust set?

It gives you a Stand.

Sadly Stardust Platinum is really bad for doing damage. He can help with events, because his knockback is pretty great and he has a significant AOE, so he can stop one side from being an issue for the most part, but he isn't killing anything much beyond zombies without help.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

dis astranagant posted:

Sounds like a massive waste of money. Better off spending pocket change on party bullets.

TheBlandName posted:

I start routinely going through stacks of musket balls once I get my first gun from the corruption or crimson. It's probably something about the bang noise. Once I hit hard mode I start going through stacks of the hard mode ammo, too. And I'm not talking stacks eventually; I mean I'm shooting multiple stacks of ammo on every outing. At that point having an infinite bag of bullets for "just in case" barely registers on the ammo expense report.

dis astranagant posted:

Well, for the cost of those 4 stacks of lovely ammo you could have gotten 8 stacks of good ammo and if you run out you have a mirror :v:

I just calculated how much it would cost to make both of the endless ammo items if you didn't have any of either, and it comes to just shy of 5 gold total, around 2 for the arrows and 2.75 or so for the musket balls. Not really a bad price for being able to run around shooting your gun/bow literally forever if you feel like it. Especially seeing as how Ranged is the DPS attack stat in the first place.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, something that came off the wiki, if you need to make the easiest Lunar Pillar easier: None of the Vortex Pillar enemies can go through blocks, so you can board yourself up, then use the Solar Fury/Summons/Traps/Whatev to kill enemies outside with absolutely no threat to yourself.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So are there any inventory editors for the current version that I could download? I'm going to be away from Internet connections for the next couple weeks, and would like to have some way of adding building materials to my character.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Holyshoot posted:

What does the internet have to do with that?

Currently the only inv editor that I know of that works with the current versions is Terrasavr, which is a web based one, which I wouldn't be able to use without internet, unless-

Excelzior posted:

you should be able to download the terrasavr flash file and run it offline

-the way to do this is explained to me, as I am not technologically literate enough to figure out how to do this.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Nighthand posted:

If this doesn't work

You can just save this link http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/fl/Terrasavr.swf to have the SWF file for Terrasavr, which should work when you run it locally using your browser of choice. I haven't tested it though.

Thank you, that works quite well. Thank you for helping a dumbass like me.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Anyone else playing this know what to do once you get the musket? Anywhere that looks like it needs a trick shot seems to spite me.

E: NVM, The Musket seems to be mostly just a weapon, I was just missing a not so obvious meatball puzzle.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 30, 2015

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DoubleNegative posted:

I finished the map today, it wasn't too long. By the end, I was ready for it to be over and done with. There's a little too much emphasis on precision platforming, and I can't decide which area was worse, the one with meteor heads or or the area with black walls and black background.

This is what the latter area looks like. The areas highlighted in green? Those are the only safe places to grab on while jumping across the room.

Due to Isaac Afterbirth I've only gotten up to the end of the meteor/mushroom area. I died like a dozen times and killed at least 550 heads by the end. I still don't know how I was supposed to make the final jump, and was running out of patience, so ended up using meteor blocks to get across.

Protip to adventure map makers: Making a precision platforming area where all the enemies will be terrain ignoring assholes who hit hard as hell for the level of gear the player will have? Not a fun challenge.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Wrist Watch posted:

I ended up just cheating an infinite water bucket into my inventory. There's literally no good aboveground lakes in the world I'm in and waiting until hardmode for a 1/70 chance at an item to fix that isn't my idea of fun. Fishing's at a weird place where it's really tedious and annoying, yet balanced in that the stuff you can get out of it is super progression breaking if you want to take the time to fish that ocean pick or stock up on crates. The angler npc is kind of the only bottleneck with his once per day restriction and terrible reward rates, but you can do all the progression breaking stuff without him so :shrug:

I'd really like to know how they thought it was a good idea to have a npc that only lets you complete his quest every fifteen minutes in real time, but still has quest reward rates at 1/40 at the minimum for anything worth getting. Like, there's 41 possible rewards from the Angler. If you wanted one of each that's just over ten straight hours of fishing. Even taking out money/potion/bait rewards that still comes out to eight straight hours of fishing at the bare minimum, and that's assuming you get a unique item every time. Even if all you're trying to do is get stuff for the PDA, doing the least possible fishing, you're still looking at like two or three hours unless you somehow land three consecutive 1/40 rewards in a row.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't understand how I put up with this when I did it before. I'm going to guess some combination of playing with someone else so we could pool our efforts and also getting drunk might have helped

Well, fishing also gives something that can help with that. in hardmode every chest has a 0.5% chance of giving you an enchanted sundial, which is a place able item that can skip one day each week. It takes a while to get them, yes, but if you get 7 you can just do a quest, activate a dial, repeat. still probably not very useful.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ali Aces posted:

No, you can't. You can only skip forward once a week, period, making it pretty much useless.

What, poo poo, did they change that? gently caress, why even do that?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, about the new sentinel summons: during the invasion are they uncapped as long as you have the special mana, or do you absolutely need the accessories/armor to use more than one?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, looking at the Wiki I realized that you can save the Etherian Mana for another run by quickly moving it to the trash just before it disappears. You can get around thirty in the last wave, and if you're too busy fighting the boss to put down more sentries it works out nicely, allowing your next run to start with three more sentries than normal. And a field of a dozen or more Ballistae works quite well for beating the boss, I found.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Got back into this due to the Ambaire's modpack posted in this thread. While my character for the modset is just about to hit hardmode, is there any advice anyone who's played it is willing to give? Like focus on one mod or another, or make the autochests asap, or avoid killing the ??? in the ocean dear god? Little things that make things more fun?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Very good advice

Thank you. The stack size one alone is huge for me. Most of the stuff about magic dice and upgrades I've been doing, but it looks like I need to update my mods to get things like the essences. I had known about the Souls themselves because I made a slime staff and that used to be a component of the full summoners soul.

And I think that I'll finally look into the mod hotkeys more than for the boss checklist one, so I can use that recipe browser.

Having looked at some of the stuff involved in some of the mods (Thorium) I am very excited about the future. Chained Dragon head summons right from the start of Hardmode? Yes please.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Saxophone posted:

Yeah, which mod is that? I need to disable it. Everything else seems great!

In the mod list its called Tech Mod.
E:

Garfu posted:

Even Yharon get's pretty trivial at the end of this modpack:
https://gfycat.com/MinorBareGiraffe
Spoilers!

I don't think there's much more content you can add to the game when you can hit 100k dps

What mod are you using to get so many more accessory slots? There are so many good ones to play with, but so little space...

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 29, 2017

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I'm just going to disable prefixes for enemies from my list. Its a nice mod and all, giving enemies more varieties and all, but maybe it shouldn't be enabled for bosses. Like The Enduring Adaptive Jungle Dragon I just fought, who have 90% defense against my attacks 90% of the time, but only 20% defense more than usual the res of the time.

On the upside I got like ten levels from beating it, though no loot at all.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

Levels? I'm using the modpack and haven't noticed that yet.

I added the Experience and Classes mod that was mentioned here earlier. It scales ridiculously as you get to higher and higher levels.

Also, I think I've hit the end of the content available right now, so after doing like ~60 hours over the last 6 days or so, I'm finally putting Terraria down again and catching up on what I missed.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

Hey which mod adds the uncommon tags and the luck stat and whatnot? I have the Thorium Mod and my items don't look like that.

Even More Modifiers. Luck is your chance to get more mods on stuff when you make/reroll it. Mostly you'll see it on weapons, with % chance to burn/frostburn/cursedburn/etc enemies, but there are more exotic ones too.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Please help me. I just got though an even more modded playthrough as a ranged class rather than a summoner, and now I'm considering doing a run as a throwing focused character.

Mostly because the experience and classes mod gives 2% damage scaling to the throwing class, and every mod and their mother wants to make throwing a viable endgame class. I've seen two different armor sets at lunar tier that are based around throwing, and like a dozen before that.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Lorini posted:

Well I got past Skeletron Prime, went to craft my Pickaxe Axe, and somehow don't have the Soul of Sight so back to The Twins. Sigh. Is the Flamethrower any good? Should I craft that?

The flamethrower is kinda nice for clearing mobs, and runs on gel, which you can get fairly often. Its kinda nice to have, but make sure to keep a soul for the mining tool. Most things it was used for use other things now so there's not reallly competition.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Spirit Mod is actually pretty fun and has a lot of neat additions including some fun bosses and a unique weapon system where you build one of five legendary weapons (melee, ranged, magic, summon, and throwing) and upgrade it as you go through the game. They're really fantastic weapons and I kinda leaned on them a lot but usually had others to rely on too.

Calamity is possibly the content mod I'd recommend most, and has some really, really fun additions, features, bosses, and so on, but holy poo poo the endgame is absolutely ridiculous. Anything post-moonlord is so overpowered they're probably not worth facing (especially on expert -- what a chore, and that's even with overpowered composite accessories) and the Devourer of Gods was possibly the most frustrating bossfight I've ever played. It offers a lot of extremely powerful weapons and endgame equipment can vaporize anything with a thought, so power bloat is definitely a thing here, but along the way there is some fun progression (albeit with a lot of useless armor sets) and a lot of really high quality content with good looking sprites.

I remember beating the post moon lord Calamity bosses a few moths ago. It took the mutant mod supersouls (+500 health, a bunch of other things, stupid powerful), the exp/classes high level class token, 8 accessory slots and the Thorium cheat bow. 10 % life steal at tens of thousands of damage a hit full auto. I still died like a dozen times to the jungle dragon on expert, which I had to fight it on to get it to drop anything at all.

Maybe once I can get the mod client to work for me again I'll go back through as the ultimate broken thrower, since like any mod that helps the throwing class seems to either add new endgame level stuff, or assumes that you're using basegame progression, where throwing weapons stop at bones and armor stops at like fossil.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I like all the additions that Calamity mod brings, it has lots of cool weapons and tools. But for the love of God, I am not using its armor, which is ungodly expensive and doesn't measure up, damage boost wise, to the last tier of Thorium armor (or even some before that if you are a throwing class). Sure there's good defense and health boosts, but when you need to beat something like the jungle dragon like ten times to make the lesser sets it really doesn't stand up too well.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Lowen posted:

Minecarts in this game are pretty rad, but what's wrong with Minecraft minecarts?

Slow, IIRC unpowered, require lots of material to get more than a dozen blocks worth of track,can't run people over to kill them, did I mention slow and expensive?

Terraria gives you like 50 for one iron and one wood, Minecraft gives 16 standard rails for 6 iron and a stick.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I just remembered the Calamity mod, and decided to look at what might have changed in there over the last like 6-10 months. :ohno: Why do people think game design like this is good and cool? Why do they have a challenge to beat one of the hardest bosses period on Expert plus and on Hardcore just for a pet that will hit you for 500 damage if you go without light, which also spawns boss adds for extra gently caress yous? why did they make a drunk princess NPC that is also a reference to MLP apparently? Why create an underwater zone that nulls water breathing?

Why, just loving why?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Well. gently caress you because the mod maker said so. And gently caress you again just because the first one wasn't enough.

But yeah I dont get it. It's not even fun challanging it's just loving retard levels of nuclear autism.

Yeah, about a year ago I did a run as a throwing based character, I was only able to beat the Calamity bosses that were there then because I had like 4 mods worth or overpowered gear which turned me into a bullet hell shooter the moment I threw so much as a knife. Now I'm not sure if that would work, because if you somehow get strong enough to do more than a certain amount of damage at once to the later bosses they just nullify the attacks outright.

Also, it was grindy as gently caress with its resources and drops. Most of which you didn't even get if you were on a normal world.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I think that the views of the Calamity mod Authors is best shown through a quote from one of their NPCs that you get during a bossfight: "Nothard/10, if I fight bosses I wanna feel like screaming 'OH YES DADDY!' while I die repeatedly." (If any boss is active)

Oh, said NPC can just randomly take half your HP if you talk to them during a bloodmoon. And I just found out that post moonlord it makes rain and snow give you a nasty debuff while allowing slimes that do 500 damage on normal to spawn.

Every time I look at something about it I have to just ask why.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Finished my Dark souls run a day or two ago, so decided it was long enough after the patch to get into it (wikis updated). Lost like 5 hours so far, will lose many more.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Dreamsicle posted:

Oh good, I was trying to get find a suitable spot in the underground for a town. If I do change my mind and go down that route, does it matter if the houses are in the underground or cavern level, or are they the same with regards to happiness?

Pylons only work in the matching biome, with at least 2 NPCs housed nearby. Other than that, nothing matters. Though you will get higher prices if you put NPCs in hated biomes/with hated others.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

I definitely research everything because I have always been a complete hoarder when playing Terraria and not needing to have dozens of chests full of random crap sitting around makes the game experience so much more pleasant to me.

...Are you me?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
How are people getting full maps of their worlds? I cannot remember for the life of me how to do so.

Still working on pre-EOW in my current world, building biome towns for NPCs. Need to figure out Something to do for Snow, since the entire snow biome is corrupt in this world.

Also, for anyone making a new character, I would recommend doing the Drunk World Seed (5162020) just to find some Moon Lord Legs, since they are a significant mobility increase early game.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Playing on Journey mode, wanted to get the cell phone before Hardmode, using time control and duped quest fish. the Sextant I only got about a dozen to two dozen tries after getting the Golden Rod. orz.

Also, the Travelling Merchant has some fun new items: New Pre- and Post-Hardmode Magic guns (requiring a kill on any boss and a mech boss, respectively). These oval office as space guns for the meteor armor set bonus, and their shots do odd things when hitting an enemy, such as changing velocity at random, teleporting randomly, changing direction, multiplying, mega damage or knockback, or going through enemies and blocks. It shreds worms hard.

Also, found out if you freeze time and then change time to dawn while it is frozen you will get a Travelling Merchant each time. Just switch to dusk to dawn repeatedly to get the guy to show up constantly and get his entire inventory.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
FFFFuuuuuuck. I just entered Hardmode last night, and of course the Corruption part of the V hits my surface desert town. The real annoying part is it also hit my cavern town at the edge of hell. Like 7 NPC homes, useless, just like that.

A temporary NPC tenement is under construction until I can clementate the entire thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ambaire posted:

Just got 300 fallen stars in one night (guessing a plentiful star shower) thanks to my top-of-the-map spanning platform with minecart track above at the edge of Treasure Magnet range. That makes ~2100 fallen stars in my ammo storage now.. should be plenty for star cannoning both Wall and Destroyer a few times plus clowning on wyverns, unless there's a hardmode pre-mechanical boss equivalent that does more damage.

It's been literally ~4 years since I last did anything on hardmode, so I'm taking the time to be extra extra prepared.

Sadly, nothing pre mech bosses, but the Travelling Merchant will then sell a Super Star Shooter, a Star Cannon with +15 damage, as well as knockback, which allows it to get more Gun modifiers.