Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Oh hey

My 3rd blood moon in a row

It's not like I actually want to do anything at night. My only good weapon is a platinum bow right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

^^^

Things seem to hit harder, have more HP, lots of blood moons. Bosses all have new attacks (I've seen new eye of cthulu and he is no longer an "I have shurikens and a bow I can beat him" boss)

New items exclusive to it and better drops apparently.

I'm not sure what's normal content new to 1.3 though, since I've only been on expert. That's pretty much what I've noticed playing.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 1, 2015

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Do dungeons only spawn with one type of lantern in them? I've only seen Diabolist ones in my normal world dungeon so far, and I'm looking for the other ones

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Well, I managed to find a lantern that looked lightbulby enough to finish up my pub room.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the other residents though. Also probably make a new room for the guide since I'm not really sure I like what I built there. I'm no good at building actual houses, but decorating rooms is easy enough.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Not 100% sure if I like this wrecked ship I've started yet but one thing is for sure.

The Guide has to go. probably by force.

(I should be ready for hardmode now, though I do need to dig a trench...)

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Do I need to place a background down my trench, or is open air fine?

Along with that, do I need to clear out the antlion den background, or is leaving that fine?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Holy poo poo they do not want me in Hell today.

I go there to build a bridge and I'm accosted by 14+ dudes. Fairly sure it wasn't a blood moon either.

I actually haven't played very far into hardmode before. Is there any good bows I can stick with or am I going to have to get a gun eventually? I sorta prefer them over guns, and right now I'm using the hellstone bow and jester arrows and it seems to be trouncing everything pre-hardmode.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Well I entered hard mode and apparently the streak of crimson goes straight through my jungle

This means I'm basically on a timer to gear up and take down Plantera right?

Trasson posted:

Eh, there's nothing wrong with a good repeater loaded up with Holy Arrows or whatnot, as long as Tyty wanted bow as in arrow shooter as opposed to bow as in bow.

That looks the be the route I'll be taking yeah. I'm just being thematic in sticking with arrows over guns/magic/yoyos/summons/etc

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I'm having fun building my base, even if I keep having hardmode invasions dropped on my head when all I have right now is palladium. It was fun when all my NPCs died to pirates, and I didn't get anything from the ship.

Though I'm really not sure on the housing I made for the goblin and mechanic. I was messing around with the meteorite bricks mostly. I want to use them more, but they don't really mesh well with other blocks... I'm sure I'll think of something.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Is there like

any way to stop invasions from happening

this is my 3rd goblin army in hardmode and i'd like to stop getting spawncamped by things I can't kill yet.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

YF-23 posted:

And if you think goblin invasions are bad just wait until you get pirates.

I did get pirates.

They killed all my NPCs but I could deal with them because they didn't have a speedy 2000 HP monster that can summon high-damage wall-piercing homing projectile enemies, fly through walls, and follow me to the literal end of the earth no matter where they are. It took me a day and a half but they're nowhere near as annoying as this single stupid goblin enemy they slapped onto hardmode.

I wouldn't even care if the game gave me a day without an invasion though. I can't get much base-building or mining done if I'm constantly fighting for my life at my own spawn.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

(^ am I forgetting a pirate? how did they kill your npcs if they can't go through walls?)

They opened my doors. I don't really have my base proofed against that yet, mostly because zombies couldn't get to my doors until recently to bust them open on bloodmoons.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I'm gearing up to fight Plantera. I have the shotbow and a daedalus. Is my frozen armor going to be good enough or should I upgrade to chlorophyte?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

So the Golem was an absolute pushover and I've gotten myself decked out in shroomite but I'm sort of running into a wall that my bows... can't seem to get past.

I figured I'd try my hand at Fishron before the cultists so I could get a Tsunami but he absolutely kicked my poo poo in, then I went to try the cultists and the shotbow/Daedalus are absolutely not made for that, since I kept hitting the fakes when he did his summoning attack.

I know guns at this point would probably be better but I'd like to stick with bows. Anything I can really do to try and get over this speed bump?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Melee has a huge benefit in the fact that it gets armor with more defense. The thing I've noticed as a ranged character is that I can barely take a hit even while full buffed, and the benefit I get for being ranged is having an off-screen range. Melee characters get some pretty long-range weapons even excluding yo-yos... And mages get wacky stuff with crazy effects and damage. Simply being able to take more hits (if you're bad at dodging like I am) is a very solid argument for potentially making the game actually easier... Really it feels like Hardmode was partially balanced around having more than one person playing, since having a melee tank to draw all the enemy aggro would make some of the bosses way easier.

Range shouldn't be a really big concern though for a melee character. There is some absolutely crazy poo poo in hardmode that is super good and can hit most of the screen on a default window size.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

If we're posting bases, this is the one I made on my bows only run. Not pictured are the mushroom room I made for the shroom dude, and a small wooden hut I made for my guide.

This is probably the best looking thing I've built in this game. It's really hard to build cool looking houses before you get lots of materials. I've consistently tried to make a Japanese castle type building only to give up and default to little wooden communism towers.

EDIT: It's important to note, all those scattered chests are full of random crap. I don't organize anything.

NecroMonster posted:

I have been utterly loving unable to find any glowing mushrooms/mushroom biome. Did something change with 1.3 or am i just the most unlucky fucker?

You're just unlucky. They're all still there as far as I'm aware, though I noticed mine were a bit smaller than normal.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 20, 2016

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Medusa is now Hardmode-only.

Rip expert mages.

Getting lucky with water bolt should still be enough until hell for demon scythe shouldn't it?

I kinda want to make a new character for the update but I'm debating what to do. I did mage back on 1.2 and I did a bow only ranged character when I played last time.

Yo-yo Lord maybe? Swords only?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I think I'm actually sorta pulling the theme off for once! I don't really have windows, but hey. The plan is a small Japanese village with a castle and shrine.

Now I just need the travelling merchant to show up again this time actually carrying the dynasty roofing. And hopefully a katana. I decided to go swords since it seems more challenging to fight EoC and WoF with them.

EDIT:

There we go.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 24, 2016

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah that sounds like Dungeon Defenders to me.

I'll be trying it out later today, I don't know if I have a character geared up for it, but I'm excited for new armor sets. Fashion is very important in Terraria.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Does anyone know why the room with the glass chair isn't valid housing? Every other room in this tower is and I can't really figure out why.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

The platforms count as blocks/walls, and as such, are dividing the room into two halves. To the game, the right side and left side are considered two different rooms.

I had absolutely no idea they did that, thanks.

I guess the rooms further down were big enough to properly count as two rooms, so I can fit multiple NPCs in them. Neat.

Fat Samurai posted:

Got this thanks to DoubleNegative's LP, which I'm using as a sort of walkthrough because I'm bad at making my own fun. Should I bother trying to stop the corruption/crimson early or just roll with the punches?

To add onto what the others said, there's a boss in hardmode that slows down the spread back to pre-hardmode levels once you beat it, but as they mentioned it really doesn't matter unless you take a LOT of time. I usually dig a trough though just because I absolutely hate the hallow and would rather have forest, and it usually takes me a bit to get to the clentaminator to fix that. Basically, I dig the trough, fight the wall, and plant hallow on the one side just so corruption doesn't creep up into my base.

it helps it usually looks pretty good mixing stone brick with forest grass where I usually make my bases, so it ends up looking nice when complete. Walled garden kinda thing. I'll have to see how it looks with snow this playthrough, maybe I'll use a different kind of brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I'm not entirely sure if I like calamity myself. I'm using it alongside thorium and the leveled mod. I'm geared up to a point where I'd be comfortable fighting skeletron and went to go fight calamity's crimson boss, and I couldn't even put a dent in the thing. I'm not sure if it was leveled or calamity itself or what. Maybe it's because I used the revengence item on an extreme world first before playing on a normal one? There cyst itself had 5900 hp which seems a bit much.

It just seemed to add a lot of fluff that is irrelevant by the time you can actually get it or isn't really worth the effort. Maybe I'll make a new world with spirit mod instead and see how that goes.