Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eonwe posted:

welcome starbound refugees

you are safe now
I'm still shaken but...I think I can click the download button again :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So since I'm a casual player, pls give me your hot pro tips on how to be efficient at mining the ores you need early on to make your poo poo.

Like, I made a shaft near my cabin and just dug down while also exploring any caves I discovered on the sides. hosed around for like an hour and came home with 20 tin and 1 lead bar. Oh hey, making tin armor takes like three times that amount :suicide:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So is anyone else seeing any bugs with this new update? Like, the different resolutions don't have any effect for me in fullscreen and kinda also gently caress with my desktop for some reason. Game also went into permanent slow motion after I checked my map once :shrug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone else getting some FPS drops/slow mo gameplay after telporting back to spawn? Gets a little annoying to restart the game everytime it happens to me

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Since you cool nerds showed your snazzy houses, I'll throw the base for my sky castle in here too

*growl*

It's shameful how long it took me to get the heads to be even

Are there any nice glowy blocks that I can use for the eyes?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Need to get to hell first :v:

But in a perfect world I would have the mouths drip lava

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

This is doable. The dripping lava won't even hurt you.
Elaborate pls. I'm a filthy casual

Wyvernil posted:

I'd say give them living fire for eyes
Just looked that up. Sadly I'm far away from hardmode. Only killed the Eye in my world so far

I'll probably make the eyes with Gemspark blocks for the time being if I can get that working

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

When a water tile is next to a half-block, or if water ends just before a drop-off, it creates a little waterfall of whatever liquid type/color the water is made of. You'll see these all the time underground. They're just decoration, they won't hurt you. You won't drown in them, and the lava ones won't burn you.
Thanks duder. I'll play around with that once I got down to hell

Also, Gemspark blocks did the trick on the eyes for now

Looks a bit better during the day, but whatever

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So is there an efficient way to get rid of your old buildings? That 10 story wood tower I made for my first NPC wave is cramping the style of my new home, and I don't really look forward to busting it down with tools.

Also, any tips on where you can locate marble caves? I need to explode another batch of marble blocks for my future constructions.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Explosives!
*furiously takes notes*

But won't that leave a lot of background tiles up?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna craft all the sticky bombs then. Thx!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It only took me 36 sharks to get my diving helm. I consider that a success :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

The day I found a shark statue underground was a glorious day.
That must be nice to have. Would have saved me the farm, battle potions and working out my yo-yo to the max. That 2% drop chance has always been bullshit because the helmet isn't all that powerful to be honest. It's just a quality of life item.

Though, when I looked up farm setups for sharks, it was funny to see the various comments that were like "Pls give helmet I'll pay 10 Plat coins!!!" :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Skycastle is coming along nicely

Eventually I may have to do something about the entrance to my hellevator, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to

Also, the balloon cramps my overlord style but at least I got a red cape :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Read posted:

FYI you can hide any accessories you want by clicking the little eye icon beside them.
:stare:

I...I didn't know...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm going to even the slopes eventually but didn't felt like doing it at the time

Geez, bunch of block shamers itt

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yo I'm on the way to take my first world into hard-mode and I'm still in the middle of a ton of projects I need to build but I'd be interested in any tips or things that you guys deem important to build/setup outside of the basics like a battle area and a herb farm.

Also, I'd like to make some fishing spots for myself and wonder what biomes I really need to create in my base area

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I must have the worst luck with the angler. I'm past 30 quests and so far I've gotten three pocket guides and one tension line. I just wanna make that fish finder and if he gives me another damned mermaid costume I'm gonna put him in lava

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Wait you can cheat in items that you don't want to grind for? :aaa:

Well I've since gotten the golden net and some other drops and I'm only missing the radio and the tackle box so I might look into that!

Question, can you spawn the wall by having the guide doll equipped and killing the guide in a house that you made in the underworld? Just wondering cause I want to farm it for some drops but I don't look forward to grinding the dolls

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

ssmagus posted:

You could just set a duping station for them, or everything else
And how would one do that? I mean given by my posts itt it should be clear that I'm a casual scrub so I'm still discovering things that the rest of you have been doing for years

I still haven't set my main world into hardmode but I'm enjoying it on the small world I made to exploit my fishing crates. Got lucky with an early icesickle/toxicarp/chainguillotine setup for mob killing but the mech bosses are real tedious with those weapons. I did beat the destroyer by sorta cheesing him with the stormbow but that still took longer than I liked. So yeah hardmode in general is interesting but the bossfights are exhausting without an ideal setup

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

ssmagus posted:

How to dupe? start your map in multiplayer, then build a flat line of platforms. on those platforms, put two blocks of metal. on those put a item frame, the put a item frame above the item frame. Mine the metal blocks. congrats, now anything you put into the top item frame is now getting duped. I think you may need a table on those metal blocks first before the item frames, I haven't set one up in a while.
Thx for the info I may look into that at some point. For now I used the glitch where you can take stuff from chests and kill yourself before you terminate the game to dupe things. Made boss grinding a whole lot more pleasant!

Right now I'm up to chlorophyte and just do what I enjoy. It's kinda weird how there are so many items in the upper tiers that are worthless though when it comes to tools&weapons

Question, do life fruit and plantera bulbs spawn faster if I clear out bushes in the underground jungle to make room for new spawns?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Never go large world, man. There's nothing Large-only. Think of the world size as 1, 2-3, and 4+ players rather than small-medium-large.
Yeah for solo it's really too much. I made my main on a large world when I got into the game and eventually I had too much stuff built to start over. Making a skybridge in both directions on a large world is not fun at all. But at least it passes the time!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Are there any 3rd party tools that allow you to export a worldmap and check it out for specific things? I'm not sure if I cleaned all the crimson/hallow out of my entrenched area and look for simple ways to help with that. I've sprayed through two stacks of green solution but it's still hard to tell if I got everything. Like there is this red moss stuff that grows on stone sometimes and I find it tricky to tell that apart from crimson

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So after playing a bunch I'm now post golem and trying my hand at the endgame invasion content. I fought the pumpkin moon twice, making it to 10 the first time and 11 on the second. I didn't die but the time ran out because killing the pumpkings takes a little too long. I don't even care about the mourning woods because my trap arena below kills them slowly while I deal with the kings. Currently I'm using a sniper rifle with cursed bullets for them but there's probably a better way. I also tried the martian invasion and holy poo poo does the saucer kick my rear end. I managed to kill one during the event but yeah all the other ones killed me so eventually I cheesed it by killing small dudes to make my torment end.

So I guess my question is what weapons/gear I should hunt for to help out with the pumpkings and by extend the saucers though I'm probably not going to deal with the martians again before I finished the pumpkin moon once.

Here's my main weapon setup for invasions

Terra blade/megashark+sniper rifle with cursed bullets/golden shower/dart rifle with crystal darts/inferno fork/sphere staff/queen spider staff

I also have the rainbow gun and the nimbus staff but find it too much of a hassle to maintan that after pumpkings hunt my butt.

And here's my gear

Shroomite armor for bullets/shield of cthulhu/worm scarf/pygmy necklace/frozen wings/frostspark boots

I probably should equip some damage boosts but the only thing I can switch comfortably is the necklace. I could maybe learn to play without double jump and ditch the boots but the mobility saved me so often that I kinda don't want to. Also a+ rating on the shield because drat that dash is king. Probably couldn't survive at all without it

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

You're safe from the saucer if you surround yourself with blocks. None of its attacks go through blocks IIRC. Then you can keep a small hole to attack it with a yoyo or something.
Yeah I noticed that the beam gets blocked but had no real setup in my arena to exploit that. Probably best to make a teleporter so that I can zip into the box once a saucer comes at me

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What kind of trap do you have that kills the Mourning Woods? I tried standing on rain clouds to hurt them underneath (?) but their long-range volleys still pass through it and do a lot of damage if I don't constantly dodge
Well I guess it's more honest to say that it "almost" kills them. I still have to finish them most of the time while I zip around with a pumpking in persuit. But anyway here's the thing I built after looking at guides and stuff. It's probably not very efficient and I should have built it over to the left :doh:

One lever opens the floor into lava and the other activates the different temple traps. The darts are staggered 3/2 with a 1 and 3 second timer and the spears are also hooked to the 3 second timer. And the spike balls are wired to a seperate 5 second timer. The whole mess usually deals enough chip damage that I can focus the trees down while I'm going by. You're right about their spray though and that had me thinking about making the traps solid again. But it also would make it harder to target them from above so I decided against it. Their attack isn't that much of a problem if you can double jump btw and with some safety nets around you can just tank it sometimes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the tip of building a box to cheese the saucers! I slowly killed like ten of them with the nettleburst. Sadly I only got the weak drops aside from the influx weaver but I'll do it again at some point since I've made a little farm for the probe.

Also can somebody explain why the horseman's blade is regarded so highly? I get that the pumpkins it spawns home and do decent damage but I always get hit too much when I try to use it because the pumpkin spawns are rather slow

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Huh, I hadn't thought about keeping double jump when I already have wings and letting them stack. Does it really let you dodge that much better than wings alone? I know I'm finding more than ever that mobility is everything with my play style but it's hard to think of which of my.seemingly crucial hardmode accessorIes would be worth removing for that.
Well it kinda depends on the rest of your setup and specifically on your mount I think. I'm not good with the hoverboard and was on the unicorn so far which doesn't really lend itself to bossfights. With a powerful mount like the saucer or the scutlix you'll be using that mostly so boots become a lot less useful.

But if you're a foot+wing fighter then they are pretty nifty I feel. The speed burst of the double jump is very good to evade attacks and contact damage and you can easily chain it into the shield dodge before your wings take over. It's a pretty smooth loop that let's you gain a good chunk of distance. I made that move my bossfight pattern and it worked very well all the way through the golem. But as said I think it becomes less effective with an endgame mount. I just got the cosmic car key and I'm gonna see if I miss the boots during bossfights

Oh, and one last thing. The boots do give 7% more move speed. That doesn't sound like a lot but it sure feels like a lot. Whenever I ditch the boots I feel real sluggish

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 27, 2018

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Well you could also just dig down a bit to connect the cave below, seal it up at the bottom, and then dump like 200 buckets of water into pool which should be enough with the already present water. This way you can also build a quick and easy safe spot to fish from at the top

There's lots of ways to make your own lakes but the "300 buckets of water" method worked for me so far. And I think you need 80 blocks for a biome? I think there is some setup where you can just use the clentaminator on a box of dirt blocks above your lake to access several biomes from one spot

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I just got the fishron wings+flail.....ayy lmao

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm just gonna leave this here

Working titles include

2 mouths 1 burg

I have a mouth but can't burg

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It helps a whole lot if you build an arena in the underground jungle and either lure plantera there or wait until a bulb spawns close to it. Then it shouldn't be that hard to kill it with the megashark while you dodge around. If you have crimson you can also make the golden shower to reduce its defense a bit. The dart rifle with crystal darts is also good because the darts bounce around your arena and deal with the tentacles in the second phase. But yeah a megashark alone should handle it in a decent arena

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I just looked for a decent space in the middle of the underground jungle and then bombed the poo poo out of it before putting in a bunch of plattforms

Probably too much but whatever. Boots and shield dodge where enough to keep me alive

Btw you can setup a farm for planterra if you want to get all the drops

I made this before the bulbs started to spawn. It's up to chance if bulbs will spawn there but eventually a couple should. Just clear out the bushes every now and then. If you're really patient you could collect a bunch of bulbs this way and then go hog wild

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Beat the moonlord on my second try and got rewarded with a portal gun and the cat sword for my troubles :toot:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So when you reach and beat wave 15 in pumpkin/frost moon will the spawns just continue until 4:30?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Grimcreaped again :cheers:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

If you got the game on steam then it should have been saved into the cloud maybe?

Also nice

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Most of the people in the Starbound thread have followed it from the beginning, so they've got to see a lot of very cool things in the game be nerfed into uselessness because fun is verboten.
Yep that's the truth. I wasn't on the ground floor but came in not too much later because I liked the space stuff and most of the promised features. Well we know how that went!

All in all it's an okay game now but it's just very boring and repetitive if you take a moment and think about the things you're doing. Like this a little hard for me to properly convey but so so much of the things you can do are just busy work that ultimately amounts to nothing. There's just no overarching reason behind too much stuff and the things you want and need to do tend to be grindy. I tried giving the game another chance a few months ago and eventually gave up after trying to get some mech parts because lol why should those be craftable or sold in shops?? It's much better to force you to grind already kinda rare space encounters that may or maybe not give you a blueprint which can also be a duplicate! And this pattern can be applied to a lot of other things too. What also annoys me heavily is that the controls are floaty af while the game at the same time wants you to make precise jumps and moves. It just makes no sense to design it this way. Ugh I feel the urge to trash talk a bunch of other things related to the game but I won't give in

RareAcumen posted:

terrible ideas of what fun is. Like getting rid of sandmining
Holy poo poo I remember that day! Sandmining was really fun but oh no we don't want players to just collect their ores. They have to really earn it to enjoy it! You absolutely need to swing that pick for hours to feel good about getting those five gold ores...

A lot of the issues with the game can be traced back to that design philosophy imo. For some reason they got this notion that the game needed some form of challenge structure and that translated into making things grindy and locking all the fun behind lengthy quests or procedures. And doing those just sucked all the fun out of the game so you stopped giving a poo poo about the thing you wanted to get. I guess a lot of it is conncted to them making promises on the RPG aspect of the game which they couldn't deliver so this is what we got.

On the other hand I never had any of these issues with terria. I'm not even a huge fan of the genre but all the time I spent on my one world felt good to me and I never thought that the things I did were without a bigger purpose. Sure terria also has some grindy aspects but you're not really forced into most of it so you can take it or leave it

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I heard the mechanics with water and monster aggro were changed so the old farms don't work anymore. How do you go about farming for the diving helmet now?

Also, any tips for farming the nymph? I'm currently setting up a cavern farm for mimics after I go into HM but I can't really remember how you farmed for the stupid nymph drop

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I don't seem to be able to get the forest pylon to show up. I tried the merchant and the nurse in a forest house and the zoologist and the golfer. Both pairings give me a happy merchant according to their reply but they won't sell the pylon. Not sure what I'm missing here? I moved the angler and the stylist to an ocean house and the stylist sold me the pylon with no issue :shrug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is there anyone else close by? If there's more than one person within 25 tiles or more than 3 within 125 tiles that will make them less happy.
Huh, it's probably the 125 tiles thing then as I took the 25 tile range into account. I just moved them out of my npc tower to quickly get the pylon but it probably wasnt far enough. I'l try to make another cabin farther away and check again.

Would be nice if the npc reply would take that into account because according to that they're as happy as they can be

E: Yep, it was too close to the tower

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

14 shadow chests no bow

8 chests in the lava layer no charm

I just don't understand why the 1.4 update brought so much great stuff but also had to come with select changes to make the game more grindy :(

Also whoever decided that meteors should be bomb proof deserves scorn