Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i wish i had people to play with

all my friends got their terraria bug out years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Let goons fill your friendship hole

thanks!

One of these days I'd love to have a go at master with a bunch of people from 0. coordinating farms and bases etc is really fun

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what is progression in a mode where you can toggle god mode lol

id love to see some of the cooler aspects of journey added into classic, its weird that there aren't more weather changing/time cycle/spawn altering items, nor is there transmutation / duplication

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Saxophone posted:

"Actually a penalty for an unintuitive, unexplained mechanic that reduces your damage and drops is good!" is the weirdest loving hill to die on.

It's minor in the grand scheme of things. But it doesn't make it not lovely. There's literally no reason to defend it. It makes a brilliant game a little less so.

"Guys, there's only a LITTLE lead in the drinking water! And it you really care, you can just filter it! I don't know why everyone's getting so angry."

id like to refer to your avatar

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vasudus posted:

the endless meatgrinder that was Skeletron Prime or The Destroyer when you barely have any hardmode equipment

how were skeleton and the destroyer easier than twins for you

e: you can make a sky platform with a 2 tile gap in the floor and shoot endlessly and the destroyer will circle around under you forever

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Almost finished with a run of 1.3 with thorium mod. It's really fun! The pre hardmode stuff is perfection. The beholder boss and sets are awesome too. Unfortunately post plantera the game sort of implodes.

-Abyssion is a very poorly designed fight
-Magic users have even more tools to become death stars
-Bard and thrower are bad
-healer is functionally immortal

Using fallen paladin armor, silk scarf, the golem regen trinket and a few other defense and regen boosts you can achieve like 60 hp/s with 120 defense and 50% damage reduction. We beat moon lord in a trio with me standing perfectly still the whole fight.

Abyssion also drops a trinket that makes you immobile and immortal but do no damage. For the above setup with less work get +aggro and use that.

Apparently for 1.4 they're redesigning the mod entirely so I cant wait for that. Some of the designs and gear fits seamlessly into the world.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Megashark sucks, get the onyx blaster

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kalas posted:

Seriously, this is what Journey mode and item research is for.

You can also open up cheat engine and clone them with right click. Journey mode has always existed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Has anyone made a mod for 1.3

How difficult is it

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

How comfortable are you with C#? I haven't actually tried modding Terraria, but tmodloader seems quite approachable.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/tutorial-1-getting-started-with-tmodloader.44817/

comfortable enough. I just wondered if anyone here had done it and could give me a barometer reading on how painful simple things can be

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I dont think vampire knives work on moon lord anymore

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

please tell me those sky triangles are revealed map and not a complex series of hedrons youve constructed

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Are there any inventory editors for 1.4 yet?

because i've spent enough time in the dungeon I have banners for every rare spawn and have still not seen armor polish or an adhesive bandage.

download the latest cheat engine table and change the items baseid, then log out and back in and the item will magically transform

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

poemdexter posted:

Buddy and I are considering doing a new map. Is there anything interesting added to master/expert mode besides some trinkets and pets? We don't really care about increasing the difficulty too much if there's no noticeable reward. We didn't really get past hardmode mechanical bosses on our first map but learned a lot.

master mode just adds pets and trophies, expert mode changes the AI and makes them formidable opponents and gives you a lot of cool accessories

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Tried out the Old One's Army minigame and boy is it boring.

yeah its a dungeon defenders 2 crossover, its going to be boring

e: its nuts how after all this time they haven't added a lot more bosses. I miss thorium already.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

What ammo did you put in the onyx blaster, explosive seemed iffy on non-boss targets and I didn't have parts for anything else.

ichor

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

thankfully tmodloader is officially supported by the company that takes three years to make two bosses and some settings tweaks

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I'm going to be critical of 7 years of free updates, too! I am extremely normal.

ah the old "free update no complaining" argument, classic. i just wish i could play thorium, a free mod made by half as many people in a quarter of the time with four times the content

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zore posted:

You can? Just roll back to 1.3 and install Thorium

I did, and I loved it, but pylons and the incentive to build outside of your npc hotel is really fun too

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

Dumb question. If I went to a multiplayer world, could someone give me tools\weapons\armor?

yes but prepare to have your progression broken in half if someone gives you like...last prism or something

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

I just got the onyx blaster, tons of fun, and I have a stormbow in storage for the destroyer. What's the next gun I should aim for?

Honestly just the bow off the lunar pillars

Onyx and daedalus can carry you

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skyarb posted:

If I wanted to start playing terraria singleplayer, and wanted a classic style experience, allowing me to play the game from beginning to end (yes I realize there is replayability), what should my character and world be?

I'd assume classic for the character, classic for the world, but then small, medium or large? What about corruption vs crimson?

Small + doesn't matter, but I like corruption

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

You can cut down a lot on the pointless grinding if you play in Journey mode. Research everything you find until you can clone it at will. You'll still need to grind a bit to acquire stuff in the first place, but you'll only have to do that once per thing.

You dont need to grind, also journey mode is just straight up cheating lol

E: maybe if you have extreme self control it isnt. I'd like to see journeymode lite at some point that doesnt let you flip on cheats and keeps spawns static

mbt fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 20, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wheres tmodloader

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

I'm at the point of early hardmode where you get into better gear&weapons and need to reforge them which sucks my money dry instantly. How do you guys like to go about farming/earning enough money?

kill pre-hm bosses a few times and sell the bars

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

No

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Black August posted:

lol nobody is going to patch the game to do any of that idiot poo poo because Redigit is one of the smartest game developers of the decade, and one trait of that is that he doesn't listen to fans, because their opinions are WORTHLESS

This but unironically

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

From what I hear, the tMod dev guys are giving some insider information about the upcoming changes to the major mod teams and they're already preparing their code base accordingly, so it might not take quite so long.

1.4 came out in may, it's now november

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Just play 1.3 with mods, it sounds like exactly what you want

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Taffer posted:

That would mean starting over with way less content though. And also the wiki is really the only possible way to play this game as a new player, and going back a major version would mean that tons of it is inaccurate.

lol what do you consider "way less content"? play something like thorium that is remarkably vanilla friendly and youve just doubled the bosses and items in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Qubee posted:

How did people first figure out what to do when Terraria was relatively newish, without a fully fleshed out wiki to help?

when the game first came out there were only three bosses and nothing much to do besides kill them over and over and build a house. over the next many years additional bosses got added and it all built on top of each other