Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I stay clear of Journey Mode because my brain has no restraint and I will just cheat everything in.

First time playing in 6 years, please tell me there's a smarter and more efficient way to use the hammer when I'm decorating my house by making slopes? This can't be the only way of using it, because click individual blocks 4 times to get the slope I want x 100 blocks is just :wtf: Is there a copy command for the hammer, or some way to make it so a single click immediately picks the slope I want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there no sort of organic, ingame progression? I feel incredibly lost unless I scour the wiki for twenty minutes before knowing what to do next. The guide isn't much help as he's vague. The crafting system is also frustrating because you can't see what you could make, unless you have the exact combination of stuff in your hands, and using the guide to check every item every time is zZzZz.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm not looking for a guide or walkthrough. I just feel like following a wiki to complete the game robs me of the sense of discovery and fun, but without the wiki, I'm lost and have zero idea what to do. How did people first figure out what to do when Terraria was relatively newish, without a fully fleshed out wiki to help? On the one hand, the wiki saps a lot of enjoyment for me, but on the other hand, if I didn't use the wiki, I'd miss out on tonnes of cool content because it's so obscure.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

No area has enemies that can kill me cause I just cheese them all with my yoyo, or am I not going deep enough? Bees / hornets, those weird lizardmen that gwak at you, the corruption zombies with massive heads and the flying leeches, I curbstomp them all. Only thing that can gently caress me up are the jungle bats because it's so hard to smack them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do prehardmode bosses disappear once I get to hardmode? Or can I always go back and do them at a later date (Queen Bee is currently kicking my rear end cause I'm too lazy to make an arena).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Game is great, despite my whining about lack of progression that doesn't rely on studying the wiki. Just had a bunch of poo poo pop off all at once and it was absolute action. Looking forward to going deeper into the abyss with my new crimson armour cause I beat the Brain of Cthulhu 2nd try. Just smacked his face with grenade after grenade and had no idea what was even happening from all the effects. Then I checked out the meteor that spawned, then farmed Eye of Cthulhu three times in a row, and then faced down a Goblin invasion.

I wish pickaxe progression was a tad faster, cause I feel like I'm pretty far into the game (in terms of hours, still prehardmode), yet my mining speed is poopoo with the 75% power pick. I've got no clue if things get absolutely insane down the line in terms of mining speed. Another whine segment about to begin on how I think gear can get upgraded a tad too quick for minimal gain. I'll do one mining / adventure run and come back with a whole bunch of ores, make new tools that are 5-10% better power, then do another run and have enough to upgrade another 5-10% power. My chest is filled with obsolete gear that I only ever used for a grand total of 20-30 mins each. I think I upgraded my axe three times without using it once, as I kept thinking if I needed it, the extra power would help, but I upgraded so fast it never made a difference.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Happy Thread posted:

Never bother mining ores or gems

I can't, the only ore I outright ignore is tin, because gently caress tin. But if I see Iron or Gold or Tungsten, I just gotta mine it, despite having 100 bars of each in my chest.

And yeah I have a big chest warehouse, when it seemed like I was talking about a singular chest, I meant my chest dedicated to tools. I've got about 14 other chests for all my other crap. If I put workstations in my warehouse (anvil, workbench, etc), does it access ALL items in the chest, even if I don't have the chests open?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 5, 2021

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really need to renovate my house but it's such a huge undertaking, having the chest room by the entrance would be so much nicer. I built it hodge podge from the start just to get up and running, and now it's a rat's nest of rooms and junk. Plus, my brain just doesn't compute creative things, so it's hard to get started on the renovation project when I know it'll end up being a gross boxy blister on the surface.

I also really wish it was any chests in the vicinity, rather than the one open.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I fought the Queen Bee, it's the most prolonged and frustrating fight ever because they spend so much time offscreen. Being the absolute moron I am, I quick-stacked before venturing into the jungle, and it turns out I quick-stacked all my healing potions. So I'm there, fighting the Queen Bee, doing alright but she's slowly chipping down my health. I figure I can make it, she's <10% hp and I've got two or three full hearts, I've got it in the bag.

Then outta nowhere, I die, cause I was so eager to kill her I didn't bother wiping out the last swarm of baby bees. The pain that hit me was indescribable, I'd just wasted 15 minutes chipping down her health, only to die when she was at 100 or so HP. I just stare at the respawn timer and she flies off, but right as she hits the edge of the screen, she dies. The luck I have, that one of my fire arrows was able to finish the job through burn damage. But boy is fighting her not fun in the slightest.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I lock / favourite items? I saw the padlock icon but that locks my hotbar and I don't like keeping healing pots there, I just use H to quick heal (I don't keep tools on my hotbar either, I just use shift to context what I need, it's great and leaves space for lots of weapons and utility items). And yeah, I built a crappy arena which consisted of two platform levels, gave me enough space to run and dodge and hookshot out the way. First time I fought her was in the hive and I regretted it as soon as she started hitting me. I really wanted to get her mount, but it didn't drop. So I guess I gotta grind out a bunch of fights with her.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Awesome, thanks. Never going to run into the issue of accidentally stacking stuff I use again. I'm also doing Skeletron today, I want access to the dungeon so I can grind bones to make a void bag and vault, cause spelunking sucks hard due to how quick I get full. I just have no clue if I'm ready yet to take Skeletron on, I've got full Crimonite armour and weapons, so :shrug:

Beat Skeletron, super fun. Dungeon is also amazing. I get to make a void bag and vault now. Thanks so much for the favourite keybinding, it lets me organize my stuff and prevents it from getting sorted during autosort, which is 10/10

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 7, 2021

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't really like the premise of arenas, but it seems to be the only way to successfully defeat bosses, because mobility in this game (early on) is pretty bad, so you need all the advantage you can get to avoid their attacks. I don't think I'll use arenas later in the game when I have decent mobility from wings / whatever. It definitely feels more rewarding just defeating the boss on their own turf, instead of mass terraforming the area to be a smooth rectangle every time.

I have also become ridiculously strong without realising it, and it's mainly due to my slow and steady approach. Brain of Cthulhu was a tough fight the first time round and killed me, I've gone back after a few hours to farm some tissue samples and I dunked on him without breaking a sweat. Crafted a void bag and vault now so spelunking is going to be less of a ballache! I just wish I could easily make Recall Potions that open up a rift so you can return to base, drop off loot, then port back to where you were, but Obsidifish seem hard to get.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any advice on what to do before I take the plunge and go to hardmode? I'm decked out in Hell armour, I can defeat everything super easily, enemies don't pose a challenge. I'm just scared of the huge difficulty jump that'll happen as soon as I defeat the WoF. So what are some definite to-do list tasks before upping the difficulty?

I'm thinking of renovating my house from top to bottom, so it's a lot nicer. It'll be easier to do it pre-hardmode. I also plan on building shacks for all my NPCs in the zones I want them, for pylon teleports.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I think the biggest thing that worries me is the entire world turning corrupted. Putting a stop to it seems like a monumental task, but I like my biomes and don't want everything to be gross and depressing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't plant Crimson seeds in the planter boxes I buy from the Dryad, what gives? Everything else plants easily, and once I found out the different boxes are purely cosmetic, planting seeds became way easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I mass produce scarab bombs? I want to have a stock ready for when I start hardmode so I can cut off corruption spread. Farming fossils and getting the ones needed for scarab bombs is a huge chore, can I not just buy them somewhere.