Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Zereth posted:

For example you can apparently craft 4 stacks of musket balls into an infinite bag of musket balls at a crystal ball, as I discovered while refreshing my memory of what you could make out of musket balls.

Is that just musket balls or special ammo as well? I assume the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tollymain posted:

Yes, but you can still only put one grapple in the air at a time, unless i'm seriously brainglitching here

You're seriously brainglitching.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

TWIST FIST posted:

no you are

with all other hooks you need to wait for the first hook to retract or hit a wall before you can launch a second one. the dual hook and the web slinger are the only exceptions, i think, and the dual hook cant actually connect to two different points at once

so the web slinger is actually pretty unique that way

Oh. I've never not used the dual hook so that would explain it. :downs:

Edit: I'm pretty sure you can have several hooks in the air with the jungle hook as well but it's been years since I've used it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tanith posted:

I think the jungle one has three hooks, pretty sure the king slime one is the same, but with less range.

Jungle one has four hooks but only three can be attached to anything at a time if that makes sense.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The shotgun is really underwhelming on expert mode, maybe I just need better ammo but that seems unlikely to make a big difference.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Pyroi posted:

What ammo are you using? I like Chlorophyte for the shotguns because shooting out five homing bullets is just too good to pass up.

Currently using explosive shots. I'd use Chlorophyte but I can't mine it yet since I just began hardmode on my expert world and you need at least hallowed to mine it, right?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It ironically seems way easier to get on expert. I got two nazars on my first trip through the dungeon.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I swapped out my ivy whip for a dual hook and I'm kinda regretting it. The dual hook really needs to let both hooks stick in a wall at the same time.
No it doesn't, it's the only hook that doesn't do that as far as I know and thus the one I like the most. There is the tendon hook if you don't like how the dual hook works.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Getting the fishing accessories looks like the biggest goddamn slog since with pretty much all the others you can just setup kill zones. Especially in hardmode with the nimbus rod. Except for the Nazar, because those skulls are so goddamn rare and so their rare drop is a bitch to try and get. :sigh:
The fishing accessories didn't take me over 20 quests to get and I got two Nazars on my first trek through the dungeon. Either I'm really lucky or they're not as rare as people think they will be.

Getting the Nazar in 1.2 was the worst thing ever but they've seem to have upped the spawn rate and expert mode helps to even further it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oh my god, Hallowed Mimics have an absurdly too high amount of HP.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The golem is without a doubt the easiest boss in the game relative to the gear you have when you can fight it.

On a semi-related note. I hate how lame the stynger and rocket launcher's sounds are compared to the grenade launcher.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Expert plantera is gonna take some time for me. Most of that time will be locating the bulbs and building arenas though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Deakul posted:

PSA

Don't play the game during thunderstorms cause a power outage during gameplay will corrupt your save.

:negative: 40 hours gone.

That happened to my pre-hardmode world and char. Really glad that I twinked that metal detector.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Is it possible to make a switch open a trapdoor and then close it? It sounds really simple but I can't figure it out.

Edit:

LightningSquid posted:

Anyone have any advice on killing Expert Plantera? I've got a decent arena and Chlorophyte armor but I can only get him to the second phase before he eats me alive.

Flamethrower and the appropriate buffs did it for me.

watho fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 21, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Just stopping by to say gently caress crawtipedes forever.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Section Z posted:

If not for enemies that phase or dig through walls, I'd be tempted (on a small world) to try something crazy like a walled up shallow depth cross map subway tunnel, with trap doors at various points.

After all, a subway tunnel would just be a giant rectangle, and I know I can do rectangle :downs:

Counterpoint: Ramps.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

What's the difference between the middle of an X and the bottom of a V?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Finally got myself the full vortex armor.

Really looking forward to farming for the S.D.M.G and Celebration :shepicide:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

There really should be some sort of meter that fills up or something with the pillars because it feels a lot slower than it actually is since you can't feel your progress which feels really out of place in Terraria.

Also: Phantasm wrecks the Moon Lord, I'm currently using Ichor Arrows which is working well but I'm going to try how the luminite ones work.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I just had a thought that might make Expert Mode more appealing. You know all those nerfs they gave for the OP weapons and combos like Vampire Knives and the Spectre set? What if they removed those while you were playing Expert Mode?

That doesn't sound very appealing to me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I don't think it's supposed to be lived in. It doesn't look like you can even enter it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

kvx687 posted:

Will the Groom only spawn if your character is male? I've had about six brides show up so far and not a single groom yet.

I've had grooms spawn and I play a female character.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I doubt that the fire damage makes up for the loss but I also doubt that it's a noticable difference and the fire gauntlet looks cooler.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Asciana posted:

So I just started the Lunar Event and defeated the Vortex Pillars. What should I make out of them, the Phantasm or the Vortex Beater? I'm tending towards the Beater and using Chlorophyte bullets but was hoping to hear someone with experiences recommendation.

Beater is better for mobbing and the Phantasm is better for bosses.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The flamethrower is really good against plantera. I beat her with that, chlorophite armor and the important buff potions. The most important part is the arena though, you basically want to kite her in a circle since she doesn't lead her shots. The second phase is a bit trickier but the flamethrower should take her out quickly enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Note: this is mainly for expert mode.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Some tips:
Make sure you have all proper buff potions. ironskin, regeneration, endurance, rage and/or wrath, and food help tremendously.
Do you have a Megashark? You can make one using the souls that drop from the destroyer and it's really good against the twins, especially when it's loaded with crystal bullets.
A kind of cheesy way to deal with the twins is to chug a gravity potion and do as long as possible vertical zig-zags while moving away from them, and changing direction when you reach the edge of the world.

I also don't really recommend playing blind on expert but you're fairly soon on 1.3s endgame content and I played all of that blind on expert so. :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Maybe replace the Shield of Cthulu with a Worm Scarf, otherwise it looks good. I personally prefer frost armor over Titanium and Hallow but it's gonna be a pain getting all that titanium again.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

PassingPie posted:

I wouldn't replace the Shield of Cthulhu with anything, it makes dodging all manner of boss attacks much, much easier and makes circling the boss much safer. As an added bonus, any boss that uses a quick ramming attack (the Eye, Queen Bee, the Twins, Duke Fishron) can be countered by charging when they do so; they will take minor damage and you will bounce off them unharmed. Definitely a must have all the way to the endgame.

I've never needed a dash but I can see where you're coming from, though the Master Ninja Gear is a lot better than the Shield of Cthulu.

Also, if an attack deals 100 damage the worm scarf will reduce that damage by a number equivalent to what 68 points of defense would do on expert mode.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ali Aces posted:

Er, that doesn't sound right.

68 points of defense = 51 pts of damage reduction in expert mode.

An attack that deals 100 damage *after* your defense's damage reduction would be reduced by 17 for 83 damage with the worm scarf. An attack dealing 100 damage *before* your defense would be reduced by even less.

Where on earth is your math coming from for this.

Edit: I think you believe defense is worth 25% its value in DR in expert. It's actually worth 75%, more than it is in normal.

Holy poo poo! I've been doing the math with 25% all this time.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Bluhman posted:

The deal-killer for me in Otherworld is tower-defense aspects in base construction.

yes the most creative genre of mid-2000 indie flash game my favorite.

To be honest, I'd really like some automated turrets for my home base in Terraria. Maybe have them be manned by NPCs or something.

Maybe you could buy or craft a sort of "gun mount" that you placed a weapon in and if you put ammo in it or a nearby chest, or something, NPCs could use it. I'd probably just end up getting a bunch of Rocket Launchers loaded with IVs and trigger an invasion just to see how destroyed everything would get though. :unsmigghh:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It's not that I want base defense systems, it's that I want to have auto-turrets shooting rockets at any unfortunate creature that wanders near my houses.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

I finally did it (on softcore :mad: ) but an Expert map but by cheesing the gently caress out of it with a map-wide sky-rail that had bumpers at each end. You can too!

There's no shame in playing softcore. Terraria really isn't fair enough to play with permadeath and mediumcore is just more annoying.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

It's vaguely misogynistic yeah, but at least it's relatively subtle, compared to stuff like Mourning Wood and Golden Shower.

Don't forget master bait!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

1. Get the UFO mount from the Martian invasion.
2. Kill the cultist.
3. Destroy the Vortex pillar.
4. Craft a Phantasm and also the arrow helmet and a bunch of arrows of your choice (I use Ichor but there might be better ones).
5. Destroy the rest of the pillars using the Megashark.
6. Melt the moon lord with the phantasm.
7. Repeat steps 2, 3, 5 & 6 until you have full Vortex armor, a Vortex beater and possibly a S.D.M.G. and/or a Celebration of you're lucky.

Congratulations! You're now well equipped to breeze through the moon events!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The problem with the Martian Madness is that you need to kill the flying saucers.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

If you have a skybridge really close to the top of the map, go just below it, but above your spawn point. Martians will appear on the bridge, but saucers will practically never spawn.

Saucers drop all the good stuff though…

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Golden Shower isn't nearly as good on it anymore since it's immune to status effects.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Blackheart posted:

I think a simple arena (like one screen above the ground for the destroyer, a couple of heart statues on timers) is way better than any skybridge for most hardmode bosses. I dunno if this applies to expert though.

Well, the skybridge is mostly for The Twins. Although I prefer gravitation potions for them.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

That's pretty cool since I way prefer controllers over KB&M.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

I found one of those corrupt areas in my game. (the reddish bloody one, not the purple one). Should I be worried about trying to contain it?

Unless you have the game on idle constantly for days on end or your base is only a few tiles away from it there's really no need to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Doesn't Eye of Cthulu keep spawning until you kill it?