Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So me and my friend just entered expert hard mode, and our entire house's been corrupted, and now nobody wants to live there.

What should we do? I've bought a bunch of purification powder, but it's really inefficient. I'm going to try to get the Clentaminator as fast as possible, but it's gonna take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

662 dead Dark Mummies on this world alone and still no megaphone, this is getting silly.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'd honestly be happy with a mod that just increased spawn rates of items, but that banner crafting mod sounds good too

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

After 733 Dark Mummy kills, I've finally got my Megaphone! :confuoot:

Also turns out the farming map I've been using has not one, but two pyramids :stare:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This world has silver, platinum, and Titanium, and I now know true suffering

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

titanium is nearly black with all the greebles in it, platinum is bluish and relatively low on greebles, and silver is very white and somewhere in between.

Yeah I've been able to pick out the visual differences after a while (titanium is platinum, but more extra), but every time I leave this game for a while I just end up back at the starting line

Once you learn just how many metals IRL are greyish you start to realize why gold became so valued

Also I just found my first Cross Necklade and Armor Polish from the same lava pool :stare:

That was the last piece I needed for the Ankh Shield and I haven't even fought a mechanical boss yet!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah I'm already in Hardmode and I'm only missing the Fisherman's Pocket Guide for the Cellphone, got all the other components before entering Hardmode

Admittedly I nicked the two other Fishing info accessories from a playthrough me and a friend did in 2015

I don't expect to ever finish the cellphone tbh, the odds are just too poor

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fairly sure I got introduced to Terraria via PBat, by the time the Terraria vids got uploaded I'd already been subscribed to him for a good while due to his Minecraft vids

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I'm kind of fumbling with an analogy here but you just admitted to what amounts to an embarrassing personal secret.

I've got no problem admitting it, he was literally the first Minecraft youtuber I came across, before I had been able to get Minecraft for myself. I basically watched his vids so I could "play" Minecraft (and assumably Terraria) vicariously, through him.

My memory from that time is pretty vague, but I'm pretty sure I stopped watching watching him regularly once I actually got my hands on the games for myself (November 2010 I think?). I don't really know how terraria fits into this chronology

e: I don't really see why "as a 16-year old i had vaguely questionable taste in youtubers" is anything to be particularly embarrassed about

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 15, 2018

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WnWqp1qFvA

this is the best terraria vid I've ever seen

They spawned in 64 player characters in expert mode and now King Slime has 56,000 health

also somebody summoned the snow mafia

e: oh god the eye of cthulhu

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Windy trees look slightly less rubbery than before, I think

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The HD re-release of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 doesn't feature the expansion packs, their source code just don't exist anymore

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

the fact that Terraria lets you sequence break with stuff like the Arkhalis or the Reaver Shark is genuinely a point in its favour, it's nice to be able to occasionally skip the grind (though of course getting Arkhalis every time would ruin the fun of the other weapons, so the rarity is in itself a boom that delivers variation between playthroughs)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Me and my friend had a lot of fun with Thorium, though we didn't get around to the later parts due to exams

Everything felt like it was there for a reason, it wasn't cluttered

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I sometimes regretted not playing as a Bard (because the instruments seemed fun) but my friend seemed deeply grateful I didn't

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

So the Dungeon Defender update just hit PS4 and while I'm finding it fun I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed when I destroyed every single enemy off screen baring Betsy with my Meowmere Sword and Solar Armour, the crystal demanding to be in a totally flat area sorta made things really easy for the bouncing cat sword beams,

The party event is nice though, that also came along with this update too.

You're using endgame weaponry, it's a bit tougher if you do it earlier on

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/JamesRobertBenn/status/1247934897639108612

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

One time my friend and I killed the WoF only for its corruption beam to hit our homebase head-on, so we started off hardmode with having to launch an evacuation effort and building up a new home, as the old one was 100% invalid housing

Added some fun drama, even if it was kind of a huge pain

New Base never really stopped being a huge floating box...

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Not horns, that's for sure!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

While setting up Terraria with my friends, one of them got really disappointed at hearing we wouldn't be using Journey Mode

Turned out he had misheard and thought I was talking about how we "wouldn't be playing on Jolly Mode"

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

Lmao. I wandered into the underground desert, saw a thing I'd never seen before - hey, neat, a round cactus. Tried to mine it, and before I could really react it just started rolling and killed my rear end.

I was laughing too much to even be annoyed.

That drat thing killed all three of us at the same time, just rolled us into paste

I freaking love it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Honestly, if they removed the negative effects this would be a really cool mechanic. I like the idea of being given an incentive to use appropriate torches - but these carrots come with too much stick

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ultiville posted:

They didn't change how it works, but they are now post-hardmode only.

Honestly I like this change, gives more of an incentive to try out the mundane dyes first and makes the difference between normal and hardmode even more distinct

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've done over 50 angler quests on this playthrough and I've yet to get a single informational accessory.

One of the people I'm playing with has already finished his cellphone, so it's just rotten luck on my part. :(

Like I have the 200 Angler quests achievement, but I've only ever managed to complete the cellphone once

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Vargs posted:

Rolling cacti are hilarious in multiplayer. I love them.

My first encounter with a rolling cactus was when my friends and I found this weird new thing underground, poked at it - and were all mushed into Indiana Jones blooper reels

Absolutely hilarious experience, couldn't have asked for a better introduction to a new game mechanic

Just three graves in a row

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've long wished that Terraria had a system where the percentage chance for an enemy to drop a particular item would slightly increase for every kill where that enemy failed to drop said item. Whenever the item finally drops, the percentage chance would reset, to avoid creating unnecessary duplicates.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That was TV Head at the end, has to be!

Guess it made its way in after all :)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I miss the Wing Slot mod and Autotrash so much

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zereth posted:

What happened to the Gamepedia wiki??

Gamepedia was bought up by FANDOM and merged with Wikia.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I gotta be honest, I have no idea what a Terraria 2 would even look like.

It'd have to be drastically different enough to not just come off as an expandalone, but on the same time retain the Terraria "feel", so to speak (gameplay loops? visuals? 2D?).

I can't really come up with any obvious benefits that couldn't just be implemented as an update to the original game.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

what happened to frisk's sprite there

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A friend and I have been trying out the new secret seed and while the hunger and darkness mechanics are kinda neat, the lighting filter is terrible. It just makes the whole game look like it's a product of the "brown is realistic" era of game design.

I ended up switching to the "Retro" lighting, there's no way I'm gonna spend a double digit amount of hours looking at Terraria's wonderfully vibrant world through a coffee filter.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

watho posted:

i like the town system a lot in principle but man does it suck trying to keep a desert from becoming corrupted. poo poo spreads through sand like mold in bread

Sometimes you just gotta throw explosives in a hole

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

These images are nice, but please TIMG them

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mayveena posted:

New Terraria wiki. Haven't really looked through it but I assume they got a better deal.

Looks like they've set up a developer-owned wiki system along with two other dev teams, and they're looking to expand. Seems very promising.

That said, I see they support importing wikis, and from what I remember Fandom has some clause where copying a Fandom wiki and setting up a new Non-Fandom wiki is a breach of terms that can lead to legal trouble. That's certainly not a problem for an official wiki with proper backing, but I seem to recall it being what keeps the unofficial Fallout wiki captive.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

If my Jungle is right next to the Corruption, what is my best option for preventing spread once I hit hardmode?

1) Build a big ol' trench lined with bricks
2) Sprint over there as soon as the WoF dies and cleanse a patch to convert into Hallow as a buffer
3) Before killing the WoF create a small glowing mushroom patch as a buffer

Fastest option is dynamite :eng101:🧨

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/1546883832258990083

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

One of my biggest wishes for Terraria would be for the Lifeform Analyzer to hint at what direction the detected creature is in, or at least how close you are. Whenever I use it I just end up going in the wrong direction and the creature just despawns, which can get enormously frustrating.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh hell yes, this one's gonna be essential for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

can't believe we've been infiltrated by Big Carpal