Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Only item I will complain about in Terraria is the Lava Charm. 2.5% chance from gold chests in the cavern layer or 2.5% chance from lava crates. So much farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Don't forget that pyramids can be buried. The last few I have found were underground.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Happy Thread posted:

Wow, each of those is exciting! They each fix an item being useless by the time you get it. I can't wait for the update and hope it lands in time for some newbies we're playing with to experience it.

At this point I only have one gripe in the game I'd really like them to fix. One remaining piece of low hanging fruit for rebalance:

Explosives (bombs, dynamite) do way, way too much damage.

I think of this primarily in terms of how the speedrunning community plays. There must be some anticipation of how some people will first experience this game at speedrunning events. Ideally you want those folks to experience as much of the game's content as possible. The best way to do that is to force speedrunners to reach to novel challenges each run, by not having any one thing be too "reliable" or "powerful".

But right now, explosives are the ultimate in "reliable" (you can buy them cheaply from the demolitionist in 100% of runs) and in "powerful" (you can buy dynamite and kill all bosses up to Plantera).

Because the demolitionist solves everything up to Plantera, speedrunners have almost no reason to visit any of the other game content (armor sets, weapon classes, etc) pre-Plantera, or to showcase optimized reactions to finding any of the diverse variety of weapons/items available in the game. And they don't. Almost all of it is skipped by every speedrun attempt.

I'm surprised they didn't already fix this, because many of the other 1.4 fixes directly seem to have to do with eliminating unintended shortcuts through the game -- removing duping glitches and a large number of boss cheese strategies and exploits.

Nerfing damage done by bombs and dynamite would significantly make Terraria speedrunning more interesting forever.

Nah. Explosives are high risk, high reward.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Eikre posted:

I'm reading that 1.4.1 patch topic on a safari for the most annoying opinions. About 90% of the first ten pages are from people wheeling through to write dissertations on their groundbreaking opinion that :siren:torch luck is bad:siren:. But then you've got:

I like this one because it demonstrates that these concerns are appropriate for nine-year-olds who briefly desire something inconsequential to bitch about after they've already beaten the loving game, but unlike their father, they have also correctly determined that you are allowed to use whatever equipment you want at any time and that there's no such thing as a player class with respects to a weapon that just ceaselessly murders everything on the screen without meaningful limitation. Children truly are our future.

I am absolutely certain that this man does not know the definition of the word "vanity," but I appreciate the philosopher who can forget the idea he was trying to argue against and then, in his confusion, assert it as a his new invention..

The length of this post and the bold typeface are [sic], and fully appropriate to call attention to these important ways in which the game is loving ruined now.

owned

Don't read stuff like this, people are stupid and have generally stupid opinions and all it will do is make you mad.
Unless you are planning on trolling them for laughs of course.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tmod is still a few months out at least.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TMod looks closeish to being done, but I'd guess another month or two before release. Then you have to wait for the mod to update which will take ages since TMod is changing quite a bit.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Terraria will never stop getting updates. Ever.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wyvernil posted:

Both 1.3 and 1.4 were supposed to be the last update... they've had several "last updates" so far.

That's why I can't quite believe them when they say that this is the last update... for real this time. Until they get ideas/whatever new game they're developing falls through.

Yes, that is the joke.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Disagree, nothing that is required is behind horrible rng. It is legit exciting when a 1 in 1000 item drops, removing that is bad game design.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

One day, years from now, TModLoader will be out for 1.4, and a few years after that, we might even get Calamity for 1.4. So never give up hope!

We will have Terraria 1.5 before Tmodloader is ready for 1.4

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zereth posted:

Anybody know what's taking so long with tmodloader anyway?

They are rebuilding the game from scratch and like to argue about nit-picky things a lot. They have a developers channel on Discord that I occasionally visit so I can see what they are currently wasting time on.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So do we know why terraria is getting another update? Like, I'm ecstatic that one of the best games ever made is still updating but they swore up and down no more updates. Did the dev team ever comment on that?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Rynoto posted:

The 64bit TML experimental could run some truly huge maps but it eats ram like candy.

The TModLoader for 1.4(assuming it ever comes out) should be officially 64 bit and less of a hacked patch. So that should open up some interesting possibilities.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Infinity Gaia posted:

I wonder how the devs feel about the incredibly robust modding community Terraria ended up getting. I somehow doubt they ever expected stuff like Calamity to be made using their game as a base, let alone that absolutely insane in dev one, Starlight River.

Especially since the first in game supported modding tools were just released a few months ago using the Steam workshop, and they barely let you change anything.
The fact that TModLoader exists(well, sorta) is insane.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Storage is already nearly unlimited in Terraria. With the safe, piggy bank, and the void bag, you have a ton of storage. And I'd rather not use the new pet because imagine accidentally clicking on it while fighting.
So it really doesn't change much.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Fruits of the sea posted:

Keep em comin, it’s great. Been putting off another playthrough because I’m waiting for Tmodloader to be done but every picture pushes me closer to the edge.

You might be waiting awhile. Last I saw they were arguing about some sort of a way to put an official donation system directly into the mod browser instead of the actual game.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Core Keeper has legit potential, and looks good. A few things still need adjustment imo, and more content of course, but it just came into early access.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Another thing is that xp gain in Core Keeper is poorly balanced. Fishing xp gain is bizarrely slow and as far as I can tell, doesn't scale at all, while later enemies give giant amounts of fighting xp. Also melee is basically useless at the current end game, you will get murdered.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Solumin posted:

My main criticism is that exploration is my favorite thing to do in any game, and I didn't enjoy exploring in Core Keeper.

On this note, I think that I realized that my favorite part of Terraria is the exploration. The feeling when you find an early game gem cave(hook time!), or that accessory you have been searching for for hours(stupid lava charm).
Does any other procedurally generated game come close?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Vizuyos posted:

Not just 999, but 9999!

The TModLoader folks also say they plan to release their official 1.4 in May, to celebrate the second anniversary of Terraria 1.4.

I will be surprised if it is a full release and not a beta, because they still seem to be planning full overhauls to multiple systems.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

They are currently in a freeze to allow mods(mostly Calamity) to port. But they are headed by a bunch of people that keep wanting to rebuild the same stuff over and over. The only reason they even got to a freeze is a few people put their foot down so that the mod authors didn't give up trying to port.
I don't think it will be in a playable state for at least another 3 months, at best.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So it seems that Calamity 1.4 will be done soon...ish. From the TModLoader discord, the main coder of Calamity posted:

We are very close. I cannot give a date.

Today also marks the release of tmodloader 1.4 stable. Still needs work but I'm impressed. I also wouldn't be surprised if 'very close' for Calamity meant 'a couple of months' so calm your expectations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mayveena posted:

I'm playing in journey mode and somehow I'm invulnerable to bosses. I can die to anything else, but no damage taken when I'm fighting a boss. Is there a way to fix this? I'm not in godmode.

Is this 1.4 modded?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Remember that both tmodloader and many mods are considered 'stable', not finished, and still need a bunch of work. I'm actually surprised they are working as well as they are.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 7, 2022

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You don't really have to worry about corruption spread in modern Terraria. It isn't that fast. It can't even destroy the Jungle anymore.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

bij posted:

Red tweeted Monster Hunter and Capcom asking if he could use a Kirin for 1.5.

lmao, of course

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

JustJeff88 posted:

What I meant is that, yes, he has given out a ton of free content, but he's also made a great deal of money. The ratio of labour to profit is still incredibly in his favour, far more than just about anyone else. He didn't do us all a big favour and now he's living in a box under a bridge.

Okay? I don't get why this matters.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that you have been so jaded by long years of rapacious behaviour that you can no longer recognize something perfectly sensible. Let me rephrase:

Many with massive amounts of money doesn't need more money to add to the mass, therefore he doesn't deserve praise for not doing everything possible to make even more money that he could never use.

This is so weird. Just drop it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Feliday Melody posted:

They made it even worse, I think. Not only did they double the number of NPCs several times over. They penalized the NPC house boxes and now try to make you build individual houses spread all over the world. And put that into the gameplay balance.

It reminds me of the fallout 4 settlement system.

The pylon system is wonderful and one of the best parts of 1.4, as you can setup houses and easily jump from your base to the ocean, then the underground jungle, then the ice biome instead of spending a half hour running from place to place.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gobblecoque posted:

Easiest way to fight corruption spread is to just turn it off in the power menu. Not playing in journey mode is wild to me.

Also this sounds terrible, imo

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Eikre posted:

wait but what if the entire game itself was actually true 3d and the environment was just made of big voxels

brb, gonna go prototype this in Java

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Augus posted:

yeah it only spawns naturally in worlds that were generated after the update. you can craft a bucket that lets you place it anywhere and create your own shimmer biome if there isn’t one in your world but it’s a post-Moon Lord recipe.

alternatively, just use TEdit and copy/paste a shimmer biome from a new world into your current world. I promise nobody will judge you.

I will be doing exactly this for my server once TModLoader is updated to 1.4.4

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

codo27 posted:

Wall of Flesh down! Took 3 tries, only dying really because of poor arena management. With enough runway, did it in easy with the night's edge. That thing comes in so handy too when trying to decide where to dig as you can swing and see if there are any preexisting gaps in the terrain. Helped a bunch when doing the railway.

Now just need to read up a bit because I'm not sure what order to do things in hardmode.

Read the text on the hammer that dropped from WoF, that will strongly hint what you need to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

JustJeff88 posted:

I understand; the creators see it is a labour of love, but I don't disagree with you. Again, no game ever has had as much content for so little money (at least the PC version; consoles take the piss a bit) and I think that it's time to move on to TS: Mine Harder. I think that this game offers far more than Minecraft, which I've never understand and whose creator is an utter piece of poo poo.

Andrew and his team... they've made tens of millions on the 10th or 11th best-selling game ever. They have the luxury of starting a brand new, risky project that might fail, but they'll never go hunry if it does. Artistically speaking, if they want to keep creating, and that would be nice, it's time to start a new project. Eleven years is a century in terms of gaming these days.

Or they could just keep working on Terraria forever. Whatever makes them happy, it just makes me happy that there is more Terraria.