Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is there enough new at all stages of the game for starting over to even make sense? Or are things mostly late game?

I'm thinking of trying to carefully choose a few nice quality-of-life super-grindy-to-make accessories to bring over from an existing character to make things a bit nicer/shorter (ankh shield? bundle of balloons?) but otherwise starting mostly-again without much weapons/armor. Is this a reasonable strategy for a guy who doesn't have another 100 hours to burn anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It seems like yoyos are so good that there's almost no reason to use most swords anymore? I'm not sure what the hardmode yoyo situation looks like but pre-hardmode all the best swords I used to be excited about seem strictly outclassed.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Lakbay posted:

Do you have to kill a mecha boss to get life fruits and plantera bulbs to spawn? I have two hardmode worlds and neither of them have life fruit.

I'm in the same situation. I googled around a bit and found people saying you need to kill a mecha boss before plantera's plant will spawn, but nothing about life bulbs. However, I sure can't find any either. I think it must be so.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, I don't have any kind of grappling hook at all. I'm moving around with the climbing claws lol.

I forgot on this run that you can get hooks from piranhas now. Mess about in the jungle for a few minutes (even the surface probably has a bunch of them) and you'll pick up a hook easily. It's way faster than waiting for skeletons to drop them half a map below the surface.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Wow they really buffed Destroyer since last time I played. I really thought well fed, ironskin, regen, magic power buffs + spooky armor set + magnet sphere + paladin hammer would be enough to win without a whole lot of prep but apparently not! Those things just pound me with damage even though I'm using equipment from my old character that's a few tiers above what I'm supposed to have. Does it basically require an arena now? What's the go-to strategy?

Last time I played Golden Shower would just murder it but I read that it was nerfed into the ground. Is that still better than the above?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd recommend making an expert world after beating Plantera or thereabouts just to kill the Wall of Flesh and get the extra accessory slot.

Does that one work when you take it to a not-expert world?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

King Doom posted:

Just build a decent sized box big enough to be inside and still have enough room to avoid his body - the drones are kept out by the walls, and they do the bulk of the damage.

This worked and wasn't a lot of effort at all. Thanks!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You could always run a tshock server and connect to it by yourself, as admin, then alter time/events at your whim. Supposedly there's a version for 1.3 out now.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Isn't that one of the things that really makes this game work though? There's such an absurd amount of rare drops that even by pure probability you're bound to get a few of them? Getting a specific rare drop is rare, but getting any one of them is not so rare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
"Thoughout the game" is like 3x as long since you played, and you will get completely destroyed with that tier of equipment later.