Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Luceid posted:

So does expert mode have any unique loot or what, because the damage is pretty wild for a new character to deal with!!
I think so, but it's a world setting, so maybe it's not intended for new characters?

EDIT: Not that this is stopping me from trying it out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoubleNegative posted:

Some of them are expert mode only, but there are still a bunch regardless of difficulty mode.
For example you can apparently craft 4 stacks of musket balls into an infinite bag of musket balls at a crystal ball, as I discovered while refreshing my memory of what you could make out of musket balls.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

Is that just musket balls or special ammo as well? I assume the former.
I don't know, I don't have any special ammo to check.

Did waterleaf blooming conditions change, by the way? I tried pouring a bucket of water over a couple but didn't get any seeds. And does anybody know what the planters the Dryad sells now are for?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daeren posted:

I got waterleaf seeds when harvesting some when it was raining in the desert. No idea about the planters.
Okay it did change. That's annoying.
What are those borders around some of your items?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

benzine posted:

Just discovered you can make and endless quiver and musket pouch.
Speaking of which do any of the goon servers up have a crystal ball around I could do that on and just fire my minishark at everything forever without caring about ammo?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

Playin' on expert, we went to go kill Skeletron. We died, so we said gently caress it and rode our slimes into the dungeon to see how far we'd get.

There are 5 or 6 dungeon guardians stuck under my friend. They are killing themselves, and he's taking no damage.

edit: they keep coming back after a couple get killed, so I guess you could grind them for infinite bone keys??

Edit2: dude on top let go and now there's 3 of us murdering the poo poo out of em

What's detecting chests in your screenshots and how did you find it?

ChibiSoma posted:

So the thing where you use those not-redstone pumps to duplicate liquids is gone now? That's a bummer, I liked having those around. Really helped in making lava defense systems not take an age to create.
That's news to me and my lava, honey, and water tanks I just set up and filled via pump duplication. :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Desperate Character posted:

it's pretty funny that rushing a fishing pole asap is the best way to survive expert mode as you can get such great items. All you need is the merchant for the bug net and the fisherman to get started. With fishing quests now saying the exact biome you need to go to there's no reason not to do it every day.
I've found that a net is a really good investment in general. I built my base next to a snow biome and penguins keep wandering in, and they're worth 12.5 silver a pop when I sell them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Alright game, you can eat every inch of my fat rear end.

Does mining cloud blocks create water like mining hellstone makes lava?

EDIT: While I'm here I can't remember where to find lucky horseshoes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mondlicht posted:

Hello, it's me, a Starbound refugee.

I'm glad that the guide is so eager to open the door to my hovel and quickly close it as soon as he lets a zombie in. I'm sure these are just teachable moments.
Put him above ground level without a door facing the outside.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

YF-23 posted:

Yes, along with everything they carry.
And the contents of their safe and piggy bank!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mortvert posted:

Wait, you mean that safe is actually a inventory separate from piggy bank? I always thought that you can access piggy bank inventory with it.
Correct.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

Yeah I'm really confused by the underground desert because there's a ton of work put into it, a gaggle of very unique new enemies come into play in hardmode but they only drop money and banners?
Not even antlion mandibles?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Those are dropped by the enemies there, but there's little point to the underground desert pre and post hardmode. It's really weird.
I haven't explored it much, does it not even have like, chests you can get Sandstorm in a Bottle and such in?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sjonnar posted:

Naw, silt is just a whatever block. You can run it through an extractor to get gems and poo poo.
I wouldn't, though. It's used to make a decorative block and there's no really good place to go find it like there is sand or such.

Slush can also be fed through the Extractinator and has no other use.

Xenaero posted:

Why does Fireblossom seem to harvest it self?

My garden is becoming a headache.
Did you put them in pots/planters? If not, swinging a weapon or anything near them will bash them off the ground.

(Plants don't seem to care what kind of planter they're planted in, they just seem to be pots that look a bit better in large blocks and you can divide things up for where you want to plant them. One silver a pop from the Dryad, and there seem to be more as you beat bosses or something.)

Anyway, what the gently caress should I be doing now that I beat the Golem? Last time I did anything that was the end, pretty much.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

President Ark posted:

Is it actually popping out of the pots, or just changing the growth stage? Every plant has 3 growth steps: Newly planted, harvestable but not "bloomed" (which will just give you the herb) and bloomed (gives the herb and seeds). Most plants have different criteria for blooming except shiverthorn and blinkroot, which just bloom whenever the hell they feel like. If a plant is at stage 2 it'll switch back and forth between 2 and 3 whenever its criteria are met.

Daybloom blooms when you'd expect it, Moonglow at night, Waterleaf while it's raining, Deathweed during blood moons, and Firebloom will bloom during late afternoon for about two hours before sunset.
Fun fact: a Staff of Regrowth seems to only harvest blooming herbs, and seems to give you more herbs/seeds than doing it normally would!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

What's the poo poo between the anvil and sawmill?

a Lizhard Furnace (for making furniture out of temple bricks), and a... I think that's a flesh cloner you buy from the Steampunker which I think is for making flesh furniture?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Akett posted:

There should be cultists at the entrance to the dungeon, assuming you haven't demolished it.
Oh right, I meant do I need to like, gear up for that or anything?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Expert Skeletron is a bitch. Phase 1 isn't too bad, I can space gun the hands down without too much trouble. It's phase 2 when he charges and locks into your position and sits on you until you die that's horrible.
Have you tried not killing the hands? That sounds like he might going "WELL gently caress YOU THEN".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Unrelated to base chat: Holy poo poo am I bad at killing bosses. What's the general strategy for killing the mech bosses in particular, besides 'grind for OP combo X, wreck poo poo in less than 30 seconds', or is that literally the only strategy for these things and it's not completely that I'm terrible.
The way I just did it was make some Holy Arrows and an Orichalcum Repeater and with my orchaclium armor just shoot thousands of stars and petals and poo poo at the Destroyer's many, many segments, then take the souls it dropped and build a Megashark and some crystal and ichor bullets and just drown the other mech bosses in bullets.

Make sure you have wings for mobility, too. And build an area to fight them in you won't be too bothered by other enemies and throw heart lanterns and campfires around, and freebase every relevant buff potion.

... It occurs to me I don't see an herb farm in your base. You might want to buy a bunch of planters from the Dryad and build one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

The pre-hardmode bosses have new gimmicks on expert. Expert Skeletron's new gimmick is that he has insane defense(most attacks will do 1 damage) until you kill both hands.
I was aware, but not of what Skeletron's was, so i was guessing. Is his charge move not actually different from the normal mode one? I guess the answer for that person's problem is "run away better".

Xenaero posted:

This is taking me forever. I still have to build the Armory/Storage area on the left side and then in the middle the main zone, then the BATTLE PLATFORM above everything else.
Any suggestions for theme for the upcoming Armory? Gold bricks maybe, I have enough.
why aren't you using pots/planters?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So, if I trigger the Celestial Pillars, is there a way to make them go away other than killing them all and then the moon lord if I can't handle things?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Accidentally breaking the Larvae open while you're in the process of mining out the hive so you can turn it into an arena is an interesting experience. :stare:
I had my clorophyte armor trigger two Queen Bees while I was fighting Plantera.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Which ammo have infinite versions now?
Musket balls and arrows.

Ashsaber posted:

I just calculated how much it would cost to make both of the endless ammo items if you didn't have any of either, and it comes to just shy of 5 gold total, around 2 for the arrows and 2.75 or so for the musket balls. Not really a bad price for being able to run around shooting your gun/bow literally forever if you feel like it. Especially seeing as how Ranged is the DPS attack stat in the first place.
I use my megashark for scouting, the bullets light up areas as they pass through. I'd go through a lot of ammo without the infinite bag of musket balls.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Supremezero posted:

Of course, this involves building a wiring line clear from the source to the output location. And can't be used to generate infinite water anymore, so you can't just grab a couple buckets and use that to make the rest.
I don't know why everybody keeps saying this. I use about 8 buckets and then pumps to duplicate it to fill all my artificial fishing ponds. And fill up my lava and honey reservoirs when I go get honey blocks/crisp honey blocks/obsidian.

It takes a while to fill up but I'm pretty sure pumps just output slightly more than they take in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

winterwerefox posted:

My little town. Ive had this game for ages, but finally got about to playing it. Ive beat Skeletron, Eater of Worlds, Queen Bee, and Eye of Cthulu so far. Ive got a full set of shadow armor, but right now im rocking the meteor set with the space gun.My next goal is to find the goblin tinkerer
I don't see a goblin invasion on the list of things you've beaten there. You need to do that before he'll spawn.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Per the wiki her buff adds +8 defense. That's great for the pre-hardmode bosses but in hardmode, between +8 not being as huge a buff percentage-wise and the fact she'll probably be killed within seconds, it probably isn't worth the effort. You have to be pretty drat close to her to get the buff and it doesn't linger; it vanishes as soon as you're outside her area of effect.
It also seems to add fairly quick regeneration. I've noticed my NPCs getting hurt, and then once she decides to stop wandering around and start doing her thing they start healing really fast.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Supremezero posted:

And at long loving last, after over a hundred angler quests, I got the Endless Water Bucket. Thus marking more or less the end of my shits given about his dumb quests (the only thing worth a drat I haven't gotten from him already is, ironically enough, the tackle box). So today is a good day to Terraria. Now I can finally make my artificial biome fishing holes!

Which admittedly I give less of a drat about now.
Do you have the sponge for emptying water holes? :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

What do you guys use for your late game exploring accessories? I don't mean what do you use for expert Plantera but when you're just going for a quick trip to hell for some groceries.

Wings are a given, and I'm assuming most people have or want lava waders and frostspark boots, what about your other slot(s)?

I can't remember the exact name but I combined the sun and moon amulets into the Celestial one which gives an always on stat boost which seems nice. Means I can't use my yo yo bag though.

Last slot is obsidian shield.
I use my combination of a Lucky Coin and a ring that lets me pick up money from much farther away. Also wings, obsidian shield, lava waders, and frostspark boots. With a bunch of other poo poo in my cosmetic slots to swap to like my yoyo bag.

Speaking of, I wanted to make an optic staff to try it out since my deadly sphere staff wasn't any good at navigating tight quarters and such, but didn't have enough souls, so I took my beetle armor and Eye of Cthulhu yoyo and utterly melted them. :staredog: I gotta try this thing on the other mechanical bosses.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

According to the wiki:

Dunno if it's even a noticeable difference, but I've been sticking to picks for this reason.
I prefer the swing arc on the picks for knocking back enemies that blunder into my mining and the like myself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

You get to spiderman around all over the place and also not fall too your death because you mined out the tile your hook is connected too, as you have others. The web slinger is not represenative of other multihooks at all; its a weird gimmick where you have an absurd number of hooks but the range on them is pitiful so its pointless.

If you can get the ivy whipe or slime hook you'll quickly see how useful real multihooks are though.
Or the skeletron hook which I've gotten in like 3 out of four kills since I started up in 1.3.

Wyvernil posted:

I guess the surplus meteorite is so you can use it to make meteor bricks.
Or meteor shot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Waffleopolis posted:

Trying to do some prep work to fight expert Wall of Flesh. A few questions:

1.) What's the best weapon for this fight? Megashark or Phoenix Blaster?
You can't get a Megashark until after fighting the Wall of Flesh.

EDIT: I mean, it will trivialize the fight if you do get one, assuming you have a flat space to back up a bit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Alternatively can't you just put a piece of furniture to block the door from opening towards the inside, but still letting it open to the outside?
I had some invasion event actually pull the door down. Popped off as an item to pick up and everything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mortvert posted:

Eariel in the thread someone made screenshots of actuator-type door with a pressure plate that only triggers on a player. Maybe you could use that to make rooms for NPCs? Platforms for floors or something so it counts as valid housing.

E: Oh dear, I apparently read the post but didn't understand it. This is what I get after posting freshly after work.

Can you make two rooms share a single door? You could probably make a actuator entrance and make two rooms with a door inbetween them so they maybe could count as valid housing?
I think the issue is that when the actuator "door" is open, it's actually a hole, so it stops being a room. And thus the bed in it isn't a valid spawn point anymore. And apparnelty it doesn't change back when you close the door?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Pandemonium Warden was indeed the one people fought for so long they had to call it off when they had to sleep and/or go to the goddamn bathroom. Bonus: When the dev team did release how they'd killed Absolute Virtue themselves, their released info required violating their own loving games' TOS :shepface:
Didn't they before that also release a video giving some "hints", and by hints i mean "it was cut together so confusingly the only thing you could tell was that they used some certain abilities but not what for"?

Do you have a link to what their intended solution was, by the way?

Nuebot posted:

Since this is turning into a derail I'm going to just say that if it wasn't on a subscription model I'd totally play FFXIV just so I could see if it wound up getting any crazy poo poo like this.
FF14 does not, in fact, hate its players ever since A Realm Reborn.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tias posted:

I've gone through quite a lot of chests, and sure, grenades, rope and recall potions are neat, but I already have a magic mirror and a book that lets me create vine rope, so..
You can get very useful gear you can't find anywhere else in chests, mainly gold ones (or frost/water/sky/etc). Keep looking.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

My house has less than 10 chests and I'm not hurting for space at all. It helps when you don't hoard literally every single item in the game

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

I'm in a similar boat. I haven't played since before hardmode was added, and now they have the expert thing. I'm at the point where I could trigger hardmode, but I'm wondering if I'd be missing out on anything by just taking my character and gear and starting hardmode from an expert world? Not having your world on expert seems to lock you out of a lot of stuff.
The only thing exclusive to expert is the special boss drops. Expert hardmode would be brutal for somebody who's never been in hardmode before.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shockeh posted:

I tried talking to the Guide, he didn't seem to have much in the way of advice that seemed that practical.

I know the Corruption is a thing, but with Gold things in Expert, you just get gibbed by the worms;
This is why we are recommending you not play expert blind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

What's better, ravens or deadly spheres? I'm currently melee using one summon for the minor free damage, though considering using my new bounty of spooky wood to make a proper summoning set augmented with a yoyo/bag.
Deadly Spheres really like getting hung up on terrain. Dunno about ravens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

It's bad because your NPCs can't live there anymore and the houses you built are now worthless. They really have to spread at harder angles and have a 0% chance of going anywhere near the center of the map.
The guy was at the border of the jungle, he was pretty far from the center.