Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

C-Euro posted:

E: Also, is there a way to select which biome differences you get, other than just jamming on worldgen until you get what you want? I've never really experienced Crimson and the first 1.3 world I made has Corruption, I kind of want to experience something "new".

When you make a new world, and it's doing the whole 'making caves, spreading grass, building structures' thing, the graphic of the progress bar is the kind of biome you'll get. If it's red and toothy on the left, you'll have crimson. If it's purple, it's corruption. Also, on the world select screen, the little tree icon will show the state of the world. Red and green, purple and green, if it's red/green/yellow or purple/green/yellow it's in Hardmode.

Edit: if that's what you mean by jamming on worldgen, no, there's no better way that I've seen. It's about a 50/50 anyway, so it shouldn't take long to get whichever evil biome you prefer. Personally I like corruption way more than crimson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I was fighting my first Eater of Worlds on my new character, I'm doing really well, barely taking damage and got it down to just one pat of like three sections. It curves away to make one last go, I hear its digging sound get further away, further... and it's gone and the boss music fades out to be just normal corruption. The boss ran away. :(

Also I've gotten two rain of slimes events, and both times the King Slime killed me. I didn't have the ranged attacks necessary to beat on it while also staying out of reach.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Speaking of the NPCs doing things in battle, anyone know what the Dryad does during invasions and events like the Blood Moon? She's channeling a green spell with a massive leaf swirl around her that covers most of the screen in two concentric circles. Haven't seen it affect enemies; is it like a healing spell?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

The nymph is supposed to drop that metal detector 100% of the time? Dang, got bugged then. I got the achievement and everything, just didn't drop anything at all. Have to wait for a second, I guess.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

He appears in normal mode as well; I found him twice down near the beginning of the lava layer.

Nothing but net.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Earliest grapple is either from getting a hook from skeletons or piranhas, or getting together 20 of a single kind of gem to make a gem grappling hook.

Earliest mount is either getting lucky in killing King Slime, or doing the fishing kid's daily quest five times for the bunny mount.

Earliest wings would be in early Hardmode, from killing the wyverns up high and combining his soul with light souls and harpy feathers.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

The sword I'm using is my favorite I've ever had, pre-hardmode. I got it from one of those sword-in-the-stone deals, not the Enchanted Blade. It's called Arkhalis.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Arkhalis

You just hold it down, and it will hit an enemy in melee range about four times a second. And you can aim it a full 180 degrees vertical, so incoming spells will never hit you. I'm gonna be sad when going to hardmode and having to put this aside.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Man I am not enjoying the Martian invasion event. The little guys are fine but I can't kill the saucers, and I can't end the event because once the saucers are up, the little guys don't really spawn anymore so it's just sitting above my house pounding away, and if I die the damaged one flies away and a fresh one takes its place.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I beat the Moon Lord solo. I honestly didn't think I was going to, but a few things helped a lot.

MVP of the whole fight: not me, my Stardust Dragon, and I'm not even geared to be a summoner. I bet he did more damage than I did over the length of the fight.
Speaking of the Stardust Dragon, he makes the Martian Invasion hilariously simple. I just tapped my altar to give me +1 minion which makes him an extra link longer, and stood in my attic while he shredded all the little aliens while occasionally coming up to chew through a flying saucer once in a while. And I got a UFO mount key, which helped out against the Moon Lord as well because it lets you fly forever.

So strategy for the Moon Lord that worked for me: kill three of the pillars, then stock up on every possible potion, flask and cooked fish that would have a combat use. Go back out to the far east, and kill the last pillar. Fly further east until I'm near the edge of the map, above the ocean, and wait. When Big Ugly shows up, pop every buff I have and start flying in circles, throwing a Possessed Tomahawk from the Golem at him, because I don't have to aim. When I have used a healing potion, and I'm down to about 30% life or so, mirror back to my base, heal at the nurse, and start flying back out there. He's so slow, he'll never reach you before you're most of the way back. Kill all three of his parts as close to one another, then rinse and repeat for his core. Best thing for me to do was not to stick around for just a couple seconds more damage; I've gotten killed during the mirror's windup time.

Seriously, don't underestimate the power of potions. Crit%, -damage taken, damage done, speed, armor, regeneration, maximum life, summoning, ichor flask and a cooked fish. I had all of them going, and had to reapply halfway through as the shorter ones ran out.

Geomancing fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 7, 2015

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Just had a slime rain event, and Pinky showed up and dropped a Slime Staff! Makes my new mage-oriented character happy, and it's so cute.

I'm surprised I haven't had a single Blood Moon though.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I've realized something about gathering paintings. In the old world generation parameters, underground houses were all kinds of funky shaped, but they were solid. The new ones are nice and rectangular, but they're heavily damaged, so there usually isn't a section of background wall large enough for paintings to spawn, as they just pop off if a tile of wall is missing. In my entire world, I've only found one painting in an underground cabin. You used to see them fairly regularly.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I spent a couple days killing stuff in the Hallow and finally got a Rod of Discord from the chaos elementals. It's fantastic; I can just teleport from cave to cave, using spelunker potions to follow unbroken pots and chests, as well as the glow of blinkroot, shiverthorn, and various enemies that emit light.

Also I managed to get not one but two Frozen Keys, half an hour apart, just blinking around looking for ice skates in chests.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lots of sticky bombs will make quick work of that lovely biome. :hellyeah:

Just beat golem in my multiplayer world and holy loving :lol: I can't believe how easy he still is. Farming the hardmode dungeon is more challenging than killing the golem in multiplayer. Especially when one person has turtle armor and vampire knives and can pretty much outpace the golem's damage while the other tow hit it for 500-1000+ DPS.

Maybe they still think people don't disable traps or something. I bring wire cutters and snip the lines while my minions tear through the enemies. Then once I get a picksaw I go back and collect all the traps. Dozens of spears and spike ball traps for a glorious deathpit for frost and pumpkin moons. :getin:

You don't need a picksaw to collect the traps. You can get them with pre-hardmode picks; in one world, the entrance tunnel before the Plantera-key-locked-door had generated a row of spike ball traps, and I could collect them with just a shadow pickaxe or whatever. I used them in early hardmode to murder the Destroyer as well as defend against blood moons and pirate invasions.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Outside of mods, and I don't know if there is one for that, your choices would be either having enough space to assign every NPC to where they won't need to take your bedroom, or taking out the table/chair/light/enough background where it isn't valid housing anymore.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Terraria: Otherworld, if it ever comes out, is supposed to be a lot more tower defense based. I'd much rather Terraria 2, again if it ever comes out, stick more to what we have now, with using environmental hazards and traps to your advantage in addition to your own combat skills.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

He does spawn in pre-today worlds, I just found him in Underground level, if you have the lifeform detector you're looking for 'Unconscious Man'. The stand to hold the crystal, for my pre-Hardmode character, is 1 gold, the crystal to put in the stand to start the event is 25 silver.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Ah, so that's how they prevent you from cheesing it. You have to put down the crystal holder in a 'wide, flat area' which can have some variance in it, but not so much you'd consider it a wall. When the event is going on, you can't dig or place blocks. Portals spawn in both directions, far enough away to be offscreen. Each portal puts out a constant stream of enemies, like, they're marching in single-file towards the crystal, and you fill up a bar like in goblin invasions to get to the next wave. Enemies come out in kind of a purple ethereal state until they take damage, then fall to the ground and walk.

It went for me: wave 1: melee goblins. Wave 2: melee goblins, plus ones that throw molotovs or something. Wave 3: melee, molotovs, and spear throwers. Wave 4: all three, plus flying dragonlings that divebomb the crystal and pass through blocks. These are the ones that did most of the damage to it for me. Wave five: all four of the previous plus something called a Dark Mage that I didn't get to see because I lost control of the situation and the crystal blew up.

You're going to want piercing attacks, because they all come at you in a solid, single-file line at a fairly slow pace, except the flyers. I used the goblin spiky balls to pretty good effect, though my landscape wasn't the best for it. I think this would be a LOT easier with a friend, so you can concentrate on a single side instead of both. I don't have any traps yet, but that or lava slicks would probably work well.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

You pretty much can't stop the Corruption early, and by the time you can do anything about it on a large scale, there's really no reason to beyond aesthetics. Just roll with what may come.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

There's a key to show basic boss progression in a checklist (customizable in options). Most involve crafting summon items, but once you beat a boss for the first time you'll get an NPC that sells its summon item for cash.
Some of the bosses are ridiculously hard, and with like 5 different mods adding new equipment, sometimes you'll unlock a new material tier that gives you a bunch of crap weapons and one really good one, and finding which one works seems to be an ongoing learning experience here.

I learned that today; summoned the Corruption boss that is basically a meaner, more evil Brain of Cthulhu that summons evil rain clouds, and lost. 'Oh well' I thought as I respawned at home, shortly followed by 'oh gently caress' as it teleported to me and proceeded to spawn camp me as I slowly chipped away at its life in between deaths.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1046851558594482177

They posted a clip of some new 1.3.6 music on their Twitter page, and the video for it shows a few new details; animated background (you can see an Eye of Cthulhu floating around back there), pink moon, new graphic for fallen stars, and what appears to be a new NPC, in the upper left room of the big house.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I only poked at Spirit Mod a bit, and while it was definitely aesthetically distinct, I never got a handle on its gear upgrade path. It also had the problem that is kind of intrinsic to Terraria - too many surface biomes crowded into the same horizontal area. The Spirit place always overwrote something else. Thorium is generally better in that it added in bosses into previously unused micro-biomes like marble and granite, and some extra small pockets of ores. The extra caves under the ocean were okay because who ever goes out under the ocean? (This was Thorium and not some other mod, right?) It also added in that one Wildreach biome with the tribal planty guys that felt kind of extraneous when I played. (... Same question, this was Thorium?)

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

ChippyGaming, one of the oldest Terraria youtube guys, was one of the two people wh oworked on that trailer, and put out a video describing and explaining what he knew in each scene. He said he specifically asked to be in the dark on anything that isn't in the trailer, so as not to be spoiled himself. He said going off the numbers in the footage, Master mode is about a 30% increase in life on the bosses from Expert.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Poking around Youtube and it recommended to me the original, 1.0 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uOhFTrrq0

1.4 is going to be on the nine-year anniversary of the game's (non-leaked) release. From there only being three bosses to a ton of events and bosses. Music's still as good as ever.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I like your sky islands, that's neat. Also, sharing pics of your last world is a good idea.

I'm not sure I'm going to be coming back here; I really like the early and mid-game best and Calamity started getting very 'too much' for me in terms of boss difficulty. As you can see, I like having all my NPCs nearby, and give them themed rooms while trying to maintain some kind of coherent style to the whole thing. I'm really looking forward to the happiness system; being encouraged to split the NPCs up and do different themes will be a lot of fun.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I like to use TerraCustom, which allows you to customize a ton of options in worldgen. Having both crimson and corruption is my personal preference for sure, but you have to turn down the amount or else it gets overwhelming. One corruption chasm complex and one crimson hole is good enough for me, or else you start winding up with them eating your desert or cutting through the jungle and stuff like that. Who knows how long it'll take /if it'll be updated for 1.4, though.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I've never used a drill or chainsaw and I still don't have any reason to; I prefer the sound and rhythm of pickaxes over the speed and cacophony of drills.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Had a trap in the underground desert that just dropped a huge block of sand on my head. Couldn't dig out fast enough.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Zoig posted:

So when i started playing last night every desert had a oasis and i couldn't find the underground desert, was that a bug that got patched.

My world doesn't have the giant tunnel that the underground desert used to have; now I have a small tunnel about four blocks high, lined with hardened sand blocks, that zigzags down into the nest. I guess that's more appropriate for ants, but antlions build big funnels to trap their prey so I always thought it was okay before.

I found a weird issue; I bought the fox ears and tail from the zoologist, they're both vanity items, the ears work fine but the tail only shows up if it's in the first accessory slot and not in the vanity slot. So you can only see it if you equip it as a real accessory. Doesn't work in any of the other slots.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

NPCs need at least one block on the floor to stand on.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Has anyone seen any Strange Dye plants? I just realized that I haven't seen a one despite doing a lot of exploring. Also, I'm somewhat concerned that my underground jungle might not have spawned any living mahogany trees. Been around a good bit, found the Temple, but no trees.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I did more exploring in my jungle and yeah, I don't think I have any living mahogany trees.

Big lump to the left is the Temple, but all the other black spots aren't large enough to hide a tree, I'd have seen roots or leaves or something. Strange world generation.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Sailor Dave posted:

Would people mind posting pictures of their NPC homes/villages? Creative building isn't my strong suit and I'm looking for some inspiration.

Spawn location base; I want to build a few more things off to the side. Merchant shop, storage room, greenhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I defeated Skeletron and entered the dungeon, hadn't realized they had changed it this much. The new spikes are meeeeean, thankfully also fragile. I was having a hell of a time clearing enough space to actually get to the chests.

Then I got Magic Missile from the first one.

Holy hell, this thing is absolutely mind-blowing. Controllable, homing, AND does AoE damage that can splash through walls? And like double the damage of the weapon I had before? I don't even bother using the controllable projectile, I just spam away in the general direction of whatever I want to die.