Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm currently a unicorn. Riding a unicorn.

On my first late-game playthrough (never got beyond the mechanicals before) and struggling a bit with the Lunatic Cultist - getting quite close to a kill but can't really handle the amount of damage near the end. It's weird, because I have the Golem on farm, have full Beetle armour and The Eye of Cthulhu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's also rumoured that the infinite house is getting taken out next patch

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
My pre-hardmode character has a Medusa Head in their inventory from before the patch... this isn't even slightly fair

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vib Rib posted:

I really do not enjoy the invasions/"moons" and I think they're far and away the worst part of the game. Badly balanced, tedious, frustrating, not fun even when you win, and rarely worth going through. And I wish they'd stop adding more stuff like it. My last playthrough I completely avoided them as much as possible.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I find them really tedious, especially the ones guaranteed to last a half in-game day.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah dude. I bought this game about a year ago for Vita and played it on 1.0, not updated, cause I didn't have internet access. I get home, update it, and turn on a small world and get schwacked by a flock of harpys immediately. I'm on a different world now and one exit out of my compound is unusable due to loving harpy assholes. I'm sure I could kill them but I have literally no idea what I'm doing in this game so I just leave them alone.

With a bit of armour and a half-decent pre-hardmode weapon, harpies are a nuisance rather than a problem.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So what about the platform to fight the wall of flesh? I am in a large world so going to whole expanse is insane. I have 500 blocks across of stone along the upper third. Not enough?

You definitely don't need to do the entire expanse but you should be able to keep running along it for a good 2-3 minutes in normal

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Crosspost from the speedrun thread, but Badger got an official revenge run today on GDQ's channel: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/550098164

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
tModLoader is coming bundled into 1.4's Steam release as free DLC

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

graynull posted:

Boss and Item Rebalance for Journey's End

Those flail changes make my old glacial heart shudder with joy.

Not looking forward to actually having to fight Moon Lord properly

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It would be infinitely better if it was just an optional way to get better luck if you knew about it and could be bothered. The negative luck (especially on default torches) is the entire problem

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Someone on Reddit went into the new torch luck code and the negative stuff is still there, it's just that if your overall torch luck is negative, it gets set to 0. It effectively means that bad torches will counter out the effects of good torches, but it won't cause you an overall problem (which is fine)

It's also worth noting that torch luck is always 0 in the dungeon, temple and anywhere on the surface or above, so don't waste time worrying about it there.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I really like that they put settings in the server config specifically to turn certain features of Journey Mode off. Research yes, god mode no, lets go have fun.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Best ranged weapon pre-mechs is an Adamantite/Titanium repeater and Holy Arrows from farming Pixie Dust and Unicorn Horns

Alternatively, if you get a Goblin Invasion you can hope for a Shadowflame Knife which is a melee ranged weapon that shreds

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cat Mattress posted:

Something one could try is find a cool world in 1.3 using this in TML, and then check if the same seed gives the same general properties in 1.4. (No guarantee of that given that they've changed worldgen a lot.)

Or skip the first step and just use a seed reported to give a lot of pyramids in 1.3, e.g.

1.3 seeds aren't mapping at all to 1.4 as far as I can tell from the speedrunning community

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, I just grab it early doors with the guide and merchant as the first 2 NPCs

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Eikre posted:

I lust for gnome death.

Strong lemmings vibes

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'd have liked slight increases to droprates on parts leading up to the Terraspark Boots, but other than that these are good fixes! Might boot up the game again for another run through

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Guess we'll have to wait and see if there's changes to explosives in the full patch notes :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

StealthArcher posted:

Good god just push for a no splosoves category and get over yourself. loving sanctity of speedrunning first experiences lol.

This is unnecessarily aggressive and unsurprisingly misses the point. Loads of the 1.4 changes were things that hosed with speedrun strats but because they trivialise the game rather than anything around sanctity. Their goal in balancing has really obviously been to have players go through the intended progression with a range of roughly equal weapon options to suit their playstyle.

If speedrunners are making GBS threads on everything up to Plantera with explosives that runs contrary to their goal - not because it's fast, but because it's overpowered

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SirSamVimes posted:

If my new group that I'm rolling through the game with is struggling to find Anklets of the Wind, is the best course of action to just load up on fishing buffs and a crate potion and sit in the Surface jungle on a pond for a while?

Pretty much, yeah. Being short on Anklets or Aglets sucks

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vib Rib posted:

Also doors that open when you walk into them.

This makes 1.3.5 completely unplayable

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I could use some assistance with pylon placement. I created a nice little Desert Duplex for the Arms Dealer and Nurse.

According to the NPC Happiness and Pylon guides, this should be sufficient to get the Arms Dealer to sell the pylon, but he does not.

Any suggestions?

edit: I did the math and I'm only getting a 12% price modifier from the Dealer.

Are the houses too far apart? I think it bases the distance on the space between the NPC banners.

I've had issues with this setup myself though.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

luchadornado posted:

Is anyone here paying attention to the progress of tmodloader? Seems like every new release is new patreon sets and Steam version compatibility. In the absence of visible milestones, looking at recent commits my gut reaction is "there is a ton of work remaining".

They announced that they felt ready for devs to get going on updating their mods, I think that's about as much info as we're likely to get. Stuff like Calamity is gonna take forever to get ready for 1.4

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DoubleNegative posted:

Reduced Grinding updated and appears to no longer be making Terraria stutter constantly. Apparently the mod author arrived at the genius implementation of "for the enchanted sundial item, check every tile in the world once per game tick to see if it's craftable" which... :psyduck:

Sometimes you get these sorts of utterly stupid ideas as a dev and the part of your brain that tells you it’s utterly stupid is out to lunch

Then you come back to it afterwards, wonder which idiot wrote this crap and realise it was you

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Awesome, been waiting for this to give Calamity a proper go

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BisbyWorl posted:

Nothing quite like trying to teleport to a pylon, only to be told that it isn't in a valid settlement.

This is the worst feeling in the game

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Boba Pearl posted:

It's been like 2 or 3 years since I played I think, I guess I forgot about a lot of this stuff, drat.

1.4 added a lot of this good stuff which only came out a couple years ago

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Holy gently caress finally

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mayveena posted:

I play journey mode. I worry about money. Clearly I’m doing something wrong.

Duplicate expensive stuff > sell expensive stuff > research actual coins > duplicate coins

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Evil Kit posted:

This was removed in Labor Of Love, as mentioned above. I remember it specifically because of seeing it in the patch notes and being genuinely surprised. I want to say they also removed any reason to smash more than three alters other than personal satisfaction, but I'd have to double check that one.

Ah gently caress, I missed that patch note in my latest playthrough and went through just smashing 3 altars. Whoops!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I finally beat Master Mode, ML is such a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fruits of the sea posted:

Every half year, I think it's time to go back to Terraria - then I find out that a new update is just around the corner or a compatibility patch for some mod I like is on the way.

gently caress it, it's time. Any recommendations? Considering finally trying out Calamity but I've held off because I'm real bad at actually fighting stuff.

Calamity recently updated to the current patch so it's a good opportunity, and you don't have to put it at a particularly high difficulty if you suck at fighting (and its a good way to get better)

The vanilla update is still gonna be some months away anyway because they can never stop putting more stuff in