Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've finally gotten around to playing this over the last few days. I think I'm running out of pre-hardmode toys to find or do, at least according to the wiki. How much prepwork do I really want to do in advance of murdering the guide and the boss? (Suppose I could just try it and make a new World if it goes awry. I'm not that type though :v:)

(edit) my Crimson is coterminous with the only Snow biome on the map, seemingly, but Desert and Jungle are on the opposite side of spawn, and spawn has a two-wide hellevator surrounded by water pockets because holy gently caress did I pick the wrong spot to dig. Dunno if that helps me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I lucked into the parts for the Obsidian Shield half of the Ankh Shield pretty early on, if that's what you mean.

I guess ultimately I'm just worried about the infection timer, like everyone else I'm gonna guess :v:

Good idea for a hell highway, though, I'd been starting to build one between the floating island range and the surface but got bored with how slow and finicky construction is (my track has weird sine waves from elevation changes now)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm pretty sure I'm overprepared for the actual fight (and inroads into hardmode itself), just unnecessarily anxious about loving myself over with the biome invasions. On the other hand, I can always make a new world if the jungle, desert or iceland get overtaken so gently caress it yolo.

Soon as I get that railway built in Hell, anyway :v:

(e) inventory, to reference what i've got so far

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 14, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fair enough. I guess there's no real harm in braining the poo poo out of some evil altars right away to get those ores generated, right?

Wall was... a little close. I think I prefer magic to melee at least so far, though I wouldn't have won without the defense from Molten over Jungle armor so I'ma call it a wash :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any way to make the Mechanical bosses more likely to randomly spawn? I've busted up a dozen of the altars but only seen one Skeletron Prime and nothing else over like a dozen nights.

(ed) Or indirectly by speeding up/skipping time or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I didn't even realize they used ordinary ingredients, I would have sworn I looked them up and thought you had to kill them once to unlock them or something. :doh:

(ed) Good lord, zero for four attempts across all three bosses. Guess Orichalcum armor ain't gonna cut it, but drat me if Titanium just seems utterly absent. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 16, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've had five goes at the worm this morning with a small safety box with star iin a bottle, heart lantern, campfire 200 feet up the ground and I still died every time, once within 2000 hp. I'm pretty much out of will to keep farming souls of night and trying to find titanium at this point :smith:

even with golden shower, that shadowflame hex doll and a meteor staff, it just takes so long I get worn down by attrition. is magic just a bad way to start hardmode compared to one of the ranged options you all listed? the game really hasn't given me anything else all this time, except barely enough hardmode ores to make what armor I have.

(edit) uh nevermind on that last bit i guess, broke one more set of altars and I got some titanium deposits at last. Thanks RNG! :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 16, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Finally nailed him, it was as anticlimactic as I'd hoped :v: See if the other mechanicals go better.

Wish I had some heart statues, though. Been looking out for them all game, being able to reach heart reserves like that would be huge. Oh well.

(e) The safety box was just for the destroyer--I was trying to keep him near the ground and fire meteors from above, while not getting hit by his laser volleys. I've got an arena for the others.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well Megashark certainly turned the twins into a joke, and given the shotgunny aspect of crystal shot I expect much the same of skeletron prime

I think I like not having to manage a mana bar quite so much, too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've always preferred the ~aesthetic~ of magic and casters in games, but yeah, balls to the mana bar. I much prefer lugging around the minishark, especially since I can just make the endless musket ball bag and be done.

That said I think I'm gonna go get some spider fangs because I just got a staff that summons a tiny pirate friend and that's adorable

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

The mod with the infinite mana accessory is LuiAFK, for reference

It also lets you turn enough of a given type of potion into a "passively gives you the effect as long as it's in your inventory" item, and then combine those, then combine THOSE until eventually you have one super-item and you stop needing to worry about juggling potions and chugging them and tending your herb garden and poo poo.

Sounds like a fun mod, actually. I really don't care for managing potions and gardening, and we already went over mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've been waiting for things like Boss Checklist to update before I give the game another go