Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Haven't played Terraria since 2015 but all this new 1.4 stuff looks exciting.

I'm debating trying out Expert mode for the extra goodies but I've never even beaten Wall of Flesh. Is that a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Huh, thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm not great at fighting bosses but I built arenas for all the ones I ever fought. Maybe I'll generate both a normal world and expert world and switch back and forth. That's allowed right, since the character and world are different saves?

It still blows my mind that there are all these things in the game I've never seen. The friggin' Crimson still feels new and exotic to me and that's been in the game for almost 7 years now. I still have my first ever world saved and the generation date on it is February of 2012.

I like that I can force the game to choose Crimson/Corruption as I still have never seen Crimson.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Excelzior posted:

tbh Journey mode really looks like the place to be, theres no reason to not want absolute control over your own gaming experience in terraria at this point

Are there any downsides to doing Journey mode?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So there's really no reason not to play on Journey mode?

It feels too good to be true which is why I'm asking. If it's basically "you can pick between normal, expert and master all the time with no penalty and also dupe items" I'm not seeing any downside.

Plus you can turn off corruption spread which means you don't have to wall off your biomes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Okay so Journey mode is the best. No more having to farm dirt or stone or whatever just to build things. Get 99 of it and you're done.

I thought it would feel like cheating but it really doesn't. It makes building a nice town so much easier, although I still am building giant prison/apartment towers.

I also had my Corruption spawn in the middle of my Jungle but now I can just turn off Corruption spread and not feel like I need to reset the world :unsmith:

I Said No posted:

Is journey mode like sandbox/creative mode then or is it actual gameplay? I'm a bit confused.

It's basically "no more grinding" mode, although you don't have to use the item dupe effects.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 16, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

Some of the new traps cause some fun moments. I really like the new grate trap that causes an overhead lake / lava lake to just start filling the room you are in.

I found a trapped treasure chest. That was fun. :commissar:

The Silver Snail posted:

I've only been using item duplication for the real tedious materials, like stone and wood, but I want to avoid duplicating things like ores and money for now, I quite enjoy Terraria's cave exploration loop.

Agree. I'm duping everything but only using duped basic materials/doors/walls/etc. I've also duped bronze and silver coins but I'm not using them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Anyone have a guide to fishing? Or at least getting bait?

Black August posted:

really cool spoiler seed - using the seed 5162020 generates a random world with special properties

I tried that and got a world with both Corruption and Crimson based on the sprite on the worlds page. Is that even possible?

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 17, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I love the secret 05152020 seed. Used it to get both kinds of metal up to gold/platinum and do both crimson and corruption stuff. Now my character has an infinite supply of both.

Working my way now through fishing quests in my normal world.

Has anyone had any luck yet with npc placement and pylons. Getting sick of running to the ocean/jungle and would like to build towns there but I have no idea what NPCs to put where so I can get the pylons.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

The bestiary tells you what their favourite biome is. In my experience an NPC alone in their favourite biome will sell the pylon, though you'll then need a second NPC around to use it.

Do the NPCs have to be happy to use the plyon, or do you just need at least 2 around?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Should I use Secret Seed for my first Terraria playthrough?

First ever it might be challenging.

You could do what I did and make a "normal" world and a secret seed world. The different ores are purely aesthetic differences and Corruption/Crimson doesn't really matter all that much since you're not playing on Expert.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

JTDistortion posted:

I can have issues with hoarding consumable resources like potions/ammuntion, so the duplication feature is a godsend for me. I'm getting so much more use out of ranged weapons now and can happily use some buffs for something I'm only doing for a minute or two instead of worrying about making full use of the buff timer.

I've been a lot more motivated to try out various building styles too. The research function has just enough of a requirement for unlocking things that I feel like I've earned my duplicated stuff, and then I can mess around and try things out in peace.

Seriously, this.

I can't believe how much more fun it's made the game. I actually craft potions now instead of hoarding all my materials like a dragon "just in case". The prospect of not having to grind is amazing.

Also, you can research the quest fish from the Angler :getin:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

Thanks all. Going to put some time in tonight

Also, once you've beaten the first two bosses the only remaining area that is locked should be the Dungeon. Talk to the old man outside if at night if you want to get in.

If you want to "beat the game" you will eventually have to do the Dungeon however it's not required to enable Hardmode. (Technically only the Wall of Flesh is required but beating it without the drops from Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu is a speedrunner only kind of thing).

Additionally, use the shadow scale/tissue sample and respective ore to at the very least make a pickaxe. The harder stones can't be mined by normal metal (bronze/tin, iron/lead, silver/tungsten, gold/platinum) pickaxes.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 18, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

I’m at the “trying to get an iron broadsword stage” lmao

Ah in that case just try and look for iron/lead. Up until obsidian there's two variants of each basic metal type. They're basically equivalent in function and only differ in appearance. It's also okay to skip iron/lead and go right to silver or gold but you likely will need iron/lead to craft some key items like a forge.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Finally figured out how to make and use pylons. I've got cool towns now set up in the Forest (default), Desert, Jungle and Ocean, all with appropriately themed decorations thanks to Journey Mode. And I finally found the tinkerer so I guess it's time to really start fishing for that cell phone.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Still can't play, still need advice on FPS issues :(

Turn on the FPS overlay in Steam.

Steam->Settings->In-Game->In-Game FPS Counter

As for the capture of the mouse, not sure what's going on there. Maybe try playing around with the borderless window options?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

benzine posted:

Finally, all golf items.
Played on some maps, and also made a range on my map.

Nice! Can you share them? I wanna try out golf maps but making one on my own is daunting.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

It doesn't just affect drops. It affects every single possible random roll in the game, including your damage variability. So a player with bad torch feng shui is always rolling twice and getting the worse result when attacking.

Edit: I think the thing that really gets me is that they tied this hidden mechanic to using biome-specific torches of all things. If you had to gather up garden gnomes and wind chimes and such and position them appropriately and that got you some sort of luck buff it's be cool, but being penalized for using a basic game mechanic without any warning that you're being penalized loving sucks.

It's more that you need to not use normal torches in half the biomes in the game and it's not really explained anywhere. I'm fine with the buffs but the penalties for using standard torches is bizarre.

And I'm annoyed that I now am gonna have to go replace all the normal torches I already put in the Desert/Corruption/Ice biomes. Thankfully it looks like those are the only ones that penalize for using normal torches. Ice for some weird reason has 4x the negative multiplier the other biomes that care do.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 20, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Samopsa posted:

let's see what this actually does:
(source: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Luck)

-> being within 42 tiles of a regular torch does:
-> nothing in most places (forest, dungeon, underworld, ocean, sky, jungle)
-> gives a -0.5 modifier in desert/corruption/hallow/crimson,
-> -2 modifier in snow (let's ignore snow biomes for now)

So, in the case that you are in the desert, corruption, crimson or hallow, and within 42 tiles of a torch (or multiple, they don't stack), you get a -0.5 modifier. If there are no other modifiers, this will result in your luck stat being lowered by 0.1. The modifier is not the same as the luck stat!

What does luck do?
If the player's luck is less than 0, then there is a (-100 * luck)% chance that the chance is halved.

So, if you're looking for a drop that normally occurs in 10% of the cases, your -0.1 luck stat will lead to 10% chance of halving that chance.
9 times 10% chance + 1 times 5% chance divided by 10 times = 9.5% chance overall (lowering the chance by 0.5%)

If the base chance of dropping is 1% this bad luck will lead to an overall drop rate of 0.95% instead (lowering the chance by 0.05%)

SO! the worst effect of spamming torches everwhere will lead to a drop rate reduction that is very small, as to be unnoticable in regular play.

Is it a good mechanic? No.
Is it a complicated and obfuscated mechanic? Yes.
Does it matter? Not really!

This makes me feel better about it and I don't think I'm going to go and reset the torches in the corruption and desert.

The snow still makes no sense, since I think that decline is much larger, like 50%+ or so.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kalas posted:

Huh you guys use torches past the first day or two? I just throw glowsticks around and use a miner's hat until I get more permanent personal lighting.

Now knowing about this mechanic I see it as a buff not a penalty past the very first dug out area which I tend to not go by much (usually a hellavator anyways).

I'll set up future arenas with the right torches. I usually used campfires for regen/extra light but tossing some torches in would make sense.

I put up torches so I know where I've already been.

But from what it sounds like I only need to be careful in the ice biome.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 20, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Question for folks. I saved an image of my map to confirm a suspicion and it looks like my entire snow biome is covered in corruption. Is this going to be A Problem as I get further into the game? I know people say that you need to protect the Jungle from corruption but I haven't heard anything about snow. The last time I played extensively the snow biome didn't even spawn on my map.

My Jungle also has a lot of corruption in it. I'm on Journey mode so I turned off biome spread for now. Do I need to be worried and take countermeasures? Am I overreacting and okay to turn spread back on?

Snow Closeup

Jungle Closeup

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Corruption has always spawned like this, and 95% of the time you need to prep your world a bit for hardmode, or you can just suck it up and yolo.

Not everything needs to be perfect in a world.

Edit: That jungle is going to suck but it is very fixable by building some trenches.

So basically just build 3 block wide hellevators around the corruption and I should be good to turn corruption spread back on?

Do I need to do the same in the ice world? I want to make sure Santa has somewhere to live :ohdear:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

quote:

TERRARIA: JOURNEY'S END HOTFIX CHANGELOGS

CURRENT: Version 1.4.0.3

I. Changes/Additions

Removed Bad torch luck

Hooray!

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-journeys-end-hotfix-changelog.89153/

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

For you other journey mode players,

Are you researching everything or only the things you intend to duplicate or need in the future?

I've been keeping my research pretty basic so far (metal bars, gems, pylons, wood, stars) but wonder if I should just fill it out and use the filters instead.

I research everything in case I want to use it later.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Town Pics!

First one is my "main base"/Forest Biome town. I made it a bit west of spawn because I thought there would be a good cave system there based on some open ground. Turned out not to be the case. I really like the red brick bar at the top, although the Tavernkeep is currently elsewhere so my Pylons work. I'm not sure the 3 different stone types look all that good but I wanted a way to distinguish between the 3 phases of building. If anyone else has any suggestions to improve the visuals I'd love to hear them.

Next we have Cactus Town out in the Desert. This was my first pylon base so it doesn't look the greatest but it gets the job done. The area under the nurse leads to the Underground Desert but I haven't explored there yet so it remains to be seen if that's the best access point.

Jungle Kingdom is starting to look much better. Also includes a stairway to heaven to access the nearby Sky Chests. The empty structure at the bottom was the original Jungle Fishin' Hole that I built to fish in peace without bats harassing me. Still does a good job when I want to do some fishing.

Since the Angler's such a little poo poo I built him a housing complex out in the middle of the ocean. It's all palm wood and themed torches. I originally made the Demolitionist's house really big because I wanted to set a crafting station there but decided against it.

And finally the one I'm most proud of, Cave Town! I converted an abandoned underground house into the first dwelling and then got really into working with Granite. Originally I was going to use granite platforms too but they made the whole area really dark so I switched back to wood. The only thing I don't like is how dim the granite-themed lights are.

The next town I'll likely work on is an artificial mushroom biome in key areas to the west (mainly the Dungeon). All of these towns are east of the main base, making going east easy but going west a real pain in the rear end.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 21, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Crafted frostspark boots and all the diving equipment, something I've never managed to do before. Thanks Journey mode! :toot:

I think it's finally time I reach out and go look for the Queen Bee and challenge Skeletron. I'm pretty much out of things to do except more Angler quests and I'm starting to get annoyed at them even with having done the research already on the quest rewards.

I turned the difficulty up to Expert and I'm actually dying sometimes now. drat you sharks! Managed to beat King Slime, the Eye and EoW on Expert too so now I have their fancy stuff. The eye was hardest funny enough because of the enraged dashes near the end.

Did have to cheat a bit and look at my map to find the Stylist though. With a Large map it's impossible to find spider caverns.

axeil fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 22, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

President Ark posted:

on the surface, yes

in caves, they'll turn it into dirt and then stop because biome grass can't grow underground, so you'll just lose a bit of the edge

:siren: this also applies to the jungle people constantly freak out about needing to protect the jungle in hardmode but you can't lose the underground jungle :siren:

grenades, buy a shitload and just throw them at it as fast as you can and after a few seconds the dying segments will drop hearts faster than it can damage you

I had really good luck with Jester Arrows since they penetrate. I would fire a few off and multiple segment parts would melt away.

Expert mode feels like the right level of difficulty for me. I've been fighting the bosses normally in normal mode and then trying the expert variant. Except King Slime because lol it's King Slime.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Beat Wall of Flesh for the first time ever! Holy crap is Hardmode hard though. I am dying left and right on Expert mode. I also turned on biome spread and they weren't kidding about how fast stuff spreads. My whole desert is now corruption and the hallow has gone wild on the other side of the world. Ended up losing my Arctic biome base since the corruption is too close now. Guess I'll have to clean it up when I get some time.

I ended up breaking 9 altars to spawn ore and made some cobalt gear. What should I be doing now? Fighting mechanical bosses? I'm at a bit of a loss.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

President Ark posted:

definitely take the time to get up the hardmode metal tech trees before trying the hardmode bosses; whereas in normal mode it's pretty easy to start doing bosses without getting gold or even silver armor, in hardmode damage starts rising dramatically and the way armor works in the game means that even a small armor deficit really hurts*, so you want every bit you can get

you may even want to talk to the goblin tinker and reforge all your trinkets into warding (+4 defense) forms. potions help a bit, thankfully the two best potions for your survivability are very easy to make (daybloom and iron/lead gives +8 defense, daybloom and a yellow mushroom gives more health regen), and the third-best isn't much harder (it's a fish from the cavern layer plus... blinkroot i think); for when you actually fight bosses you should make the potion that gives you more max health which needs a fish from the hallow (prismite?) and a bunch of herbs

also if you're on a crimson world, real quick start a corruption expert world and kill the eater of worlds for an extremely good trinket that just makes you take ~20% less damage

*it's just straight subtraction with a small % modifier depending on your difficulty level (armor matters more on higher difficulties, on lower ones there's more give to the numbers), so if an enemy hits for 100, 100 defense means it does almost nothing to you, 90 means it's dealing 10 a hit and might be a threat if you're careless, 80 means it only has to hit you 20 times to kill you, and so on

Ah thanks for this. I've beaten every pre-hardmode boss on Expert, including the Brain of Cthulhu. Used the special seed for that. First Wall of Flesh kill was on Expert too! Beenades/The Bee's Knees rip that guy apart.

Any recommendations on weapons I should look for if I'm doing a Ranged (primarily bows) build with Melee backup? The Bee's Knees is incredible but it's starting to feel puny.

Also for a bit of info on biome spread, here's my world pre-hardmode:

And here it is after a few in-game days of hardmode :stare: :

I got very lucky that the Corruption "V" went through already existing Corruption. I think I'm going to need to build a firebreak for my Forest main base near the spawn and not rely on my Hellevator since the Hallow and Corruption are heading for it very quickly. My Ocean firebreak seems to have worked as did my Desert one. The Snow one worked...but the Corruption got so close half the village is uninhabitable. That really annoys me because I spent a lot of time pre-Hardmode adding snow/ice blocks to get it out of the bit of Corruption to the east only to now have it be invalid because of the Corruption to the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Ah thanks for this. I've beaten every pre-hardmode boss on Expert, including the Brain of Cthulhu. Used the special seed for that. First Wall of Flesh kill was on Expert too! Beenades/The Bee's Knees rip that guy apart.

Any recommendations on weapons I should look for if I'm doing a Ranged (primarily bows) build with Melee backup? The Bee's Knees is incredible but it's starting to feel puny.

Also for a bit of info on biome spread, here's my world pre-hardmode:

And here it is after a few in-game days of hardmode :stare: :

I got very lucky that the Corruption "V" went through already existing Corruption. I think I'm going to need to build a firebreak for my Forest main base near the spawn and not rely on my Hellevator since the Hallow and Corruption are heading for it very quickly. My Ocean firebreak seems to have worked as did my Desert one. The Snow one worked...but the Corruption got so close half the village is uninhabitable. That really annoys me because I spent a lot of time pre-Hardmode adding snow/ice blocks to get it out of the bit of Corruption to the east only to now have it be invalid because of the Corruption to the west.

Well I dug a firebreak for my Forest biome and just in time too. The Hallow was right up against one of the living trees and converting the wood into pearlwood. But now my main base should be safe from both the Corruption and the Hallow. Made an artificial Graveyard too. Anything worthwhile to do/craft there?