Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mafoose posted:

The scion xb looks like a golf ball with all those dents...
The euro cars faired munch better, but are still going to need a lot of work.

You did have comprehensive on everything, right?

... right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

quote:

2 minutes and now the 635csi is covered in dents, the scion xb is also covered in dents and needs a windshield now too. Wife didn't have a chance to check out the m3 but that car is already ratty, and then there's the 242, which was perfectly straight but not insured at this moment.
:( Damnit hail sucks, really sorry about the 635csi man. My 320i got beat to poo poo years ago by hail, still all beat to poo poo.

quote:

Hey, Nitrospazzz, at least you didn't have it this bad in the Kettle Bottoms last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft0NF1tBbIM
Holy gently caress that must have been one hell of a ride. Guess it's a good thing I went into the other wall.

T1g4h posted:

Birthday's in 29 days and i'm gonna be 28, i'm getting old :(
Turn 30 in February...yay? One upside to getting older that I've noticed recently. I really don't give a poo poo about a lot of crap that I used to.

mafoose posted:

So should I have someone attempt PDR on the e24? The paint is 30 years old, I can't imagine it still being flexible...
Worth bringing it to one of the reputable shops to have them see what they think. If I was you I'd wait a bit because if it's anything like the hail we got you'll have guys setting up PDR in parking lots and dealerships all over the place. They do ok work at best.

Backup on-call, got called in because the primary lives in the middle of loving no where and his phone wasn't working (landline or cell). Called at 2:44am to basically drive in, power cycle something then stand around to make sure it booted. Then drive home, have breakfast and drive back to work. That's what I get for joking that I rarely get called in so on-call is basically free money with my date last night.

Oh well going to leave at lunch and see if I can find some polo or dress shirts that actually fit.

Still on page 1? drat page 2.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

El Jebus posted:

I want to buy a truck, have no money, and I am unemployed. What can you put me in?
Debt.

freelop posted:

Back from a holiday in Paris. Fantastic place.
Spend ages trying to work out the traffic laws and gave up in the end, it is utter madness.
Saw a surprising amount of these old minis always with tiny bullbars :3

French urban parking is carried out using a technique based on guesswork and hatred.

Cakefool posted:

2 hours at work and 6 people have said I look like poo poo. :(
You ill or just ugly?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Need a good set of bullbars for my VW, with how people park in downtown phoenix.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Just in case anyone missed it, my buddies up in Michigan have been busy building a ridiculous Open Light car for Rally America. Check it out here:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t206079-fervor-rallysport-97-obs-rally-car.html

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

You ill or just ugly?

Err, does stressed count as ill?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the rule of phone continues

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

bolind posted:

Less drag == higher top speed. Look at the positives.

E: although my source shows this at a spin rate of 3000 RPM, so get to work on that.

Mythbusters tested it; they coated a car in a huge amount of modeling clay and then took golf ball -like scallops out of it. Measurable and noticeable difference in fuel economy. Like, 15%.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/dimpled-car-minimyth/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Adiabatic posted:

Just in case anyone missed it, my buddies up in Michigan have been busy building a ridiculous Open Light car for Rally America. Check it out here:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t206079-fervor-rallysport-97-obs-rally-car.html

Wow.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

You're bad at being an Australian, dude mate.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

some texas redneck posted:

Anyone have recommendations for decent offline navigation apps for Android? The ones I've tried so far seem to want me to drill down by Country -> State -> County -> Street Name -> Nearest Intersection, instead of just letting me type in a drat address.

Here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My foreman is pricing out brand new $50k+ Ram trucks right now.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
So, i havent posted i a few days. needed to get my head sorted out. Me and the twin boys was in a fairly brutal car accident a little week ago. I was driving around a bend on a fairly narrow two lane road when i was faced with a semi in the opposite lane and an overtaking wanker in an audi in my lane. With a K barrier on my right and 50 tonnes of truck on the left i had nowhere to go. On of the boys broke his forearm and cracked some ribs, the other little dude was fine. I myself broke my nose and got some burns and cuts to the face from the airbags and shrapnel from the fuckers car. One of the occupants in the other car was entrapped and is probably never walking again. being a parent sucks when you are in an accident involving your kids. i have been struggeling with this feeling of guilt every time i see my boys, and i wake up at night in terror from dreaming about what the outcome could have been.

anyways, the tesla is totalled, the safety equipment worked flawlessly and i was able to knock another stanced audi of the planet.

now to figure out what car to get, if i stick with tesla or go with something cheaper or go for max fun.

its sunny out, my wife will kill me if i ride my bike.. but her being violent turns me on so...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fjelltorsk posted:

So, i havent posted i a few days. needed to get my head sorted out. Me and the twin boys was in a fairly brutal car accident a little week ago. I was driving around a bend on a fairly narrow two lane road when i was faced with a semi in the opposite lane and an overtaking wanker in an audi in my lane. With a K barrier on my right and 50 tonnes of truck on the left i had nowhere to go. On of the boys broke his forearm and cracked some ribs, the other little dude was fine. I myself broke my nose and got some burns and cuts to the face from the airbags and shrapnel from the fuckers car. One of the occupants in the other car was entrapped and is probably never walking again. being a parent sucks when you are in an accident involving your kids. i have been struggeling with this feeling of guilt every time i see my boys, and i wake up at night in terror from dreaming about what the outcome could have been.

anyways, the tesla is totalled, the safety equipment worked flawlessly and i was able to knock another stanced audi of the planet.

now to figure out what car to get, if i stick with tesla or go with something cheaper or go for max fun.

its sunny out, my wife will kill me if i ride my bike.. but her being violent turns me on so...

holy loving poo poo, glad to hear that you and the boys are okay. I still freak out when people roll up to the street getting ready to turn after the last time i was in a car accident, I can't loving imagine :ohdear:

:rip: tesla, you were a really cool car

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

fjelltorsk posted:

gently caress dude, I was just thinking about you this morning wondering where you were. Glad you're relatively ok. Hoping for a speedy recovery for the little one, too. Give it time, and maybe even a little therapy. You did all you could, and your family is intact. That's all that matters.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My foreman is pricing out brand new $50k+ Ram trucks right now.

Thats not all that impressive considering a moderately equipped truck is 45k ish.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

fjelltorsk posted:

Very glad to hear the kids are (relatively) okay, we other parents share your fear. The only wreck I've ever been in happened 2-3 minutes after I dropped my daughter off at school, I was VERY glad she was not with me.

Sucks about the car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

fjelltorsk posted:

So, i havent posted i a few days. needed to get my head sorted out. Me and the twin boys was in a fairly brutal car accident a little week ago...

Wow dude. Glad that you and your kids made it through relatively undamaged. Hope the hurt one heals up well.

Sounds like the Tesla did a fantastic job of keeping you guys all safe, something to consider when replacing it, although theoretically your chances of being in another dinger like that should be minimal I hope.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fjelltorsk posted:

Hooooly poo poo man. I am glad you and your family are in one piece. RIP valiant Tesla.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fjelltorsk posted:

Jesus, you getting loyalty points from the hospital or something?

Glad that everyone on your side seems to have avoided anything major/long term.

Was the Audi making a poor choice in overtaking there, or was it an otherwise safe move that turned out to be a bad call?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

God drat fjelltorsk, the hits just keep coming! Glad to hear you and your kidlets are mostly okay. gently caress that piece of poo poo Audi driver. I honestly feel sorry for the occupant who is probably paralyzed because of the shithead driver's carelessness.

Heal up fast so you can get back to healing up fast!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

fjelltorsk posted:

Fuckin' hell. Glad you guys are at least alright, that's scary.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

InitialDave posted:

Jesus, you getting loyalty points from the hospital or something?

Glad that everyone on your side seems to have avoided anything major/long term.

Was the Audi making a poor choice in overtaking there, or was it an otherwise safe move that turned out to be a bad call?

I might be slightly biased against the worthless douchnozzle, but it would be a bad choice 10/10 times. it was a blind left hander for him with poor viz due to trees and bushes. on a narrow road i consider overtaking in a blind turn pretty stupid.

The doctors commented on me having to stop running the doors down, and a friend of the wife told me that i had misunderstood how munchausen syndrom works. seeing my kid being rolled into a trauma bay might have hampered my sense of humour tho.

Car forums stuff.

the wait for another tesla is 6 months, we just recently swapped our nr 2 car to a used nissan leaf. this car is to small for family duty so i need something bigger. what to choose folks? 5 series, landcruiser or a merc or something...

edit: should i take the fact that this thing is for sale the same week as i total my car as an omen? http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=56978784&searchclickthrough=true

fjelltorsk fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 1, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fjelltorsk posted:

the wait for another tesla is 6 months, we just recently swapped our nr 2 car to a used nissan leaf. this car is to small for family duty so i need something bigger. what to choose folks? 5 series, landcruiser or a merc or something...

S65 Gelandewagen.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

fjelltorsk posted:

edit: should i take the fact that this thing is for sale the same week as i total my car as an omen? http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=56978784&searchclickthrough=true

Obviously this is the correct answer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I'm glad you're OK, your boys are relatively OK and the Tesla held up.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

fjelltorsk posted:

How much is a Charger Hellcat there?

The Tesla is impressively safe, happy you're alright.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fjelltorsk posted:

I might be slightly biased against the worthless douchnozzle, but it would be a bad choice 10/10 times. it was a blind left hander for him with poor viz due to trees and bushes. on a narrow road i consider overtaking in a blind turn pretty stupid.

The doctors commented on me having to stop running the doors down, and a friend of the wife told me that i had misunderstood how munchausen syndrom works. seeing my kid being rolled into a trauma bay might have hampered my sense of humour tho.

Car forums stuff.

I thought the diablos went down in price, holy moly $870k for that thing???

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

fjelltorsk posted:

Was this in a passing zone?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fjelltorsk posted:

Jesus gently caress man. Glad you're okay. Was wondering where you'd been, and was worried about ya. Sorry that poo poo happened and that one of the kiddo's got hurt as well, that's the worst part.

Keep strong, and keep kicking rear end.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fjelltorsk posted:

:rip: Tesla.
That was quick.

Glad everyone is basically alright.
Don't feel guilty, sounds like there was literally nothing you could do, and the kids are still breathing. They'll heal up in no time.

edit: replacement talk: Last one did its job valiantly it sounds like. Get a volvo as a temp, and get on the list for a P85D.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 1, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Haha, ironically this link came up on my google search to check out the P85D

https://cleantechnica.com/2015/06/30/tesla-p85d-voted-coolest-car-in-norway/

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I don't see how you wouldn't get another Tesla since most likely the only reason you and your kids are still alive is that it's the safest car on the planet.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Talked to the dealer earlier, told them to start looking for earlier options. Turns out there is a p85d on its way to Norway with an owner trying to back out. Wrong colour and still that freaking spoiler. Told him ill talk to the insurance people and get back to him. Might there still be hope for the family Road trip still? The car in question arrives in another part of Norway (Drammen) friday

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mud/sand. We've had more rain so far this year than all of last year combined, it has caused a ton of flooding. There's still a lot of lakefront recreation areas closed due to high water around the state, but particularly in/around DFW. Trucks are still using this road quite a bit from the looks of it, so a lot of that is just mud that's been splashed on the car as they drive by. Looks like it's been clipped at least once now too, though it's well off the road (may not have been before getting clipped).

I'm pretty surprised the city has left that car sitting for so long. Up close you can see water marks on it as the water receded, so it's been there at least a couple of weeks.

This particular road (Luna Rd in Dallas, between NW Highway and Royal Ln, for DFW goons) runs near a river that was way above flood stage during the worst of it. I just checked, it's still a bit above flood stage at the nearest NWS measurement point (which is several miles north).

If you want eerie, I used to do urbex all the time, and have quite a few creepy photos on various websites.

My favorite site to visit is an old meat packing plant that shut down in the... early 70s? It was, at one time, a filming location for Prison Break. Sketchy as poo poo to get in now though (lots of cops always around, and it's so overgrown that it's way too easy to fall into one of the many pits on the property), so I haven't been in several years.

Is that the one over in north Fort Worth, across the road from a dude ranch?

Rhyno posted:

You're ruining all my conceptions of CANADA.

No poo poo.

This is really common if you get caught sleeping in your car and there's ANY suspicion you may be under the influence of something (and you have keys on/near you - "near" being anywhere in the passenger compartment, generally).

I've wound up sleeping a few hours in my car after leaving a bar more than a few times, but I always lock the keys in the trunk for this very reason. That way the keys aren't on your person, nor are they within reach of you, and you can always hit the trunk release on the dash/floor/glove box/etc to get to them once you've sobered up. Or if you can't do that, you can always lock the main keys in the trunk, and hide a spare somewhere outside of the car (to open the trunk).

Of course, at that point, you're still going to get a public intox, since the cop is already obviously looking for something to nail you with, and they may still try to hit you with a DUI, but it's a lot easier to fight when the keys weren't even on you or in the passenger compartment.

That all goes out the window if there's :420: involved, but even when camping, I try to bring as little as possible with me, and keep it in something a little beefier than a sandwich bag when it comes to odor.

Yeah, that right there is some utter oval office bullshit. So, you'd rather I drive home drunk if I can't afford a cab? Jackasses.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Anyone have recommendations for decent offline navigation apps for Android? The ones I've tried so far seem to want me to drill down by Country -> State -> County -> Street Name -> Nearest Intersection, instead of just letting me type in a drat address.

My phone is shut off until the rest of my paycheck clears (Friday - after-hours deposits only make $200 available, rest shows up after 2 full business days - I deposited my check at 5:15pm, and I needed to pay more important bills with the $200 they made immediately available), and no wifi at work, so I'm kind of stuck unless I find a decent navigation app.

e: if anyone wants to know why I didn't just wait until business hours to deposit the check (which would have made the full amount available immediately), my medical insurance was going to get cancelled at midnight unless I got caught up. And I slept too late to make that happen today. :sigh:

Dude you need to get an account with a bank or credit union that has a mobile app with remote check capture. I'm sure there's plenty of decent small banks/CUs in DFW that have this and aren't assholes like Wells Fargo. The company I work for has some credit union clients in DFW and, while we don't currently do any of their mobile banking apps, this one and this one do have appear to have mobile deposit. Even if neither of these CUs have branches near where you live/work, after you join you can do whatever you need a branch for at any other credit union that has a sign for CO-OP Shared Branching, or CU Service Centers or however it's currently branded.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

fjelltorsk posted:

Dang, man! Glad you and the boys are OK, for the most part.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

edit: replacement talk: Last one did its job valiantly it sounds like. Get a volvo as a temp, and get on the list for a P85D.

If that P85D doesn't pan out, this is what I'd probably do in that situation. Holy hell.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Going on a road trip in a few weeks. Booked my first room on Airbnb:

Second day I'm staying in some elderly couples mother in law apartment. Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If I am reading that right the Audi driver has paralyzed one of their passengers as well as almost killing you and your boys? Getting to the destination a minute sooner doesn't look like such a good deal to them now I expect.

• Locked thread