Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So due to bullshit reasons, I have a felony arrest on my record from years ago (was arrested for paraphernalia, I was "accidentally" booked under a section of the statute that makes it a felony, "intent to transport"; apparently I was trafficking a few milligrams of cannabis residue on the pipe. a single call to the county clerk got it bumped back down, which shows you how good their evidence was.) Which was holding up my college application status, since they ask you about felony arrests as distinct from the usual convictions.

Well...

:woop:

July's off to a good start, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh trust me, even knowing the entire case history and the fact that I completed pre-trial diversion in 2009 (just before I reg'd here now I think of it), I was still sweating this up until I saw that email in my box.

Don't break the law kids, but also gently caress unjust laws and DOUBLE gently caress rear end in a top hat county sheriffs looking to pad their arrest record.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bolind posted:

Less drag == higher top speed. Look at the positives.

E: although my source shows this at a spin rate of 3000 RPM, so get to work on that.

Also typical forward speed from a driver (where you see the most difference) is about 165 mph. So...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The General Lee was a piece of crap. Not enough supercharger and too much loving idiots driving.

And they welded the doors on a daily driver BECAUSE RACECAR. What a bunch of posers.

I like the vague concept of TDOH way more than anything I've seen of the actual show. And the flag can go, period.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

WITNESS ME

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QuarkMartial posted:

....how did he destroy a motor during an oil change :wtc:

leave the oil out before starting the engine to check it

putting the wrong fluid in

there's a lotta ways really

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love how this online school orientation course has a whole video dedicated to teaching you how to get your username and password to log into the school's student center website... which you already had to know how to do to get to the course in the first place.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Mutha fukkin NUX.

Might be time to retire derpy droid dude.

Nux shall reign supreme over Valhalla, til Furiosa and her herald Max finally pass on and claim their thrones as the eternal rulers of that hallowed realm.

Doof warrior can come, too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I dunno man, Nux can't just be a Valhalla bench warmer. :colbert:

I love Nux but is he really more worthy than the other two?

I mean I guess they could be a Trinity type thing. Mother, son, desert spirit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah kastein I realize you basically are mad max and have poo poo to do but it really is that good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Shoutout to Taxachusetts for taking $600 outta my check every week. :arghfist:

As someone who's only ever worked minimum wage... :stonk:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

I feel like a few tons of bricks just got dropped on my head.

"Mom" and "cancer" are not words you ever want to hear in the same sentence.

I'm going to go find a dark corner to curl up in for a bit.

:sympathy: I can't even imagine.

I mean treatments are pretty good these days, but whatever happens we're here for ya.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

By biological imperative you're probably the least broken of all of us.

I'm terrified that if I ever had a kid I'd turn them into another me (an act bordering on child abuse), but I'll be perfectly happy to spoil my niece while letting my sister raise her in a healthy environment. :v:

Plus i'm 27, still have 2-3y of school left to even get my bachelor's degree, and haven't done any of the things I've been saying I'm gonna do even since I joined SA, let alone childhood dream stuff. I haven't even been to an autocross ffs. Or lived on my own. Or worked a job that nets out to being significantly better than being broke. I sure as gently caress wouldn't be good in a relationship with anyone, let alone raising a kid together (and given I have trouble getting out of bed some days, taking care of a child by myself is out of the question.)

There's enough kids being born as it is, even a few million people going without won't make a significant dent in anything, and if anything helps prevent overcrowding in future generations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm nearing 30 and lately I've started thinking "maybe it would be kinda neat to have kids".

The problem is that I've been single for ~6 years and am apparently unable to initiate any kind of long-term relationship. I'd also like at least a couple of years with a significant other before having children, and I don't want to be like 65 when the last kid finally moves out.

Well you could always adopt an older kid if it comes to that, unless you're dead set on raising them from infancy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've never used it, but if you want something beyond the stock resources in KSP get Karbonite.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Empty calories, my rear end. Totally worth it.

You're going to oil slick the toilet tomorrow morning and not even care.

e: I recommend an entire pint of ben and jerrys instead next time.

"entire"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Goatse Guy is a shining golden example for us all to follow.

(whether I'm talking about the forums poster or the actual goatse dude is for you to decide)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

shoulda sent em to doc turbo XIV

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah where would we ever get that impres-

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

im just saying its been proven youre less than picky about what you put in your pipe

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Also I like how we just collectively out-trolled a FYAD invasion thread

irl cool dudes etc etc

Ramenchat: poach an egg in your ramen. Just as the noodles finish cooking, crack an egg directly in the broth and cover it with the noodles; put the lid on, turn the heat off (or the lowest setting on your smallest burner) and let it sit for 3 minutes. poo poo is transcendental. also sort of a family reunion type thing if you add chicken.

E: look what just popped up on my youtube feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUqO3tFexiQ

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah my dad has a BGE too and he loves the poo poo out of it, but I feel like I could do everything it can with a smoker* and a normal grill for a shitload cheaper.

* I have never owned nor used a smoker, but I'd like to at some point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i've got a decent propane grill but ive wanted a good weber for ages

shame im about to move into (probably) an apartment for school for the next two years! probably won't even be able to have my current grill.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah the main thing with charcoal is not to use lighter fluid, that poo poo flavors your food in a bad way.

you think it burns off. it doesn't.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"excavation by nuke was a bit overkill so i went back to using a soup spoon"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you work on cars for a living you will grow to hate cars.

You will do oil changes that pay 1/2 hour whether they take 15 minutes or an hour because the last guy mangled the plug and you have to order a replacement (flat rate is loving bullshit).

You will kill yourself trying to slap everything together at the last minute because "the customer needs it NOW i don't care that the parts truck is just now arriving".

Depending on your state's safety inspection situation, you will periodically have to slap together the remains of what used to be a functional suspension/brake caliper and watch the customer drive away in their deathtrap, hoping to god the waiver you made them sign is enough to remove your liability in case it kills someone.

You will work 40-50 hours a week, in sweltering heat, in an environment where you gradually turn your personal car's interior into a superfund site. E: And sometimes only get paid for 20 of those hours (flat rate is loving bullshit).

Depending where you work you will be constantly pressured by management to upsell all sorts of services, replace parts on a store-dictated mileage interval instead of manufacturer specs, talk to customers face to face to explain why they need this $1500 of services they don't need, meet the same time deadline for a job no matter what unique challenges a particular vehicle poses (why yes, a dually with 6 150 lb wheel-tire assemblies takes just as much time to change tires on as a civic with 14 inch rims), get told to bend over backwards for customer satisfaction often at great personal financial loss, have to finance your own tools because lol we neither pay for your tools nor pay you enough to buy them outright (flat rate is loving bullshit)

you get the picture.

Get an old commuter car or pickup truck and wrench on it in your spare time, you'll get all the satisfaction with none of the bullshit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Actually if you want a simple reason, just remember that 14 INCH is a career mechanic.

(i aint hatin on ya 14, just saying it does strange things to a man)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mariooncrack posted:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-4-ton-jack-stands-one/p-00950163000P?sid=IAx20050830x000545&aff=Y&PID=1225267&AID=11034749

Does anyone know if these are any good? I was thinking that I'll need them eventually for the Miata.

I've got the 2-ton ones and they've done me great on my Protege, your Miata is lighter so you'll have no problems with those.

Get 2 pair, though, I made do with 1 forever but it really is good to be able to lift all 4 corners at once.

E: Actually looking at a few sources, the rating per pair means each stand must support 1.5 times the rating, so the 4 tons will be way overkill, rated to 12,000 pounds per corner, and you might have clearance issues depending how high your jack goes. You might wanna look into the 2 ton ones instead. Looking on the site it looks like minimum height is 10.5 inches for the 2 ton vs 12" for the 4 ton. Not much difference, but hey, every inch counts. :pervert:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 23, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cakefool posted:

Wife went out with her friends last night, came back with a sealed Mad Max comic someone got free and thought I'd like. :perfect:

Hopefully not the one with the explicit rape backstory.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

what the gently caress is in orlando? in my experience its all speed traps, heavily signalled grids, traffic jams, and a couple nice onramps that always have some bluehair that takes the entire ramp to reach 30mph.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boy its great when you hit the sack at 11 cause you got poo poo to do at 8 am and proceed to lie in bed wide the gently caress awake for the next 6 hours watching the loving clock tick by. I got university orientation tomorrow later today for EIGHT loving HOURS and I'll have been up over 24 by the end of it.

In addition/contributing to the problem, I've been craving a loving cigarette for about 3 hours now. I haven't smoked since January 2011 (barring two REALLY poo poo days at Sears, still a few years ago and those were one smoke each). loving nicotine addiction needs to gently caress the gently caress off.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

piss boner posted:

Blow dryer chat: those of you that have testicles, why don't you blow them dry? Nothing like a fresh set of dry nuts to start off the day.

deez nuts roasting on an open dryer (that sounds like ouch)

in unrelated news

loving poo poo eating cocksuckers* at my school don't recognize my loving ap calc credit from high school

even though ive taken calc 2. and 3. and physics 1 and 2 with calc, and Statics and differential equations

because I didn't pay the very special $25 to have college board send my OFFICIAL AP TEST SCORES (a piece of paper w/ a 3 printed in it) to them and having it in both my hs and community college official transcripts isn't loving enough

which A theres no reason I shouldn't have known this before now except apparently while THEY can run a degree audit while im still in the mech eng "pending" track, I can't because gently caress me I guess, otherwise this thing (which takes up to 15 BUSINESS DAYS ) could have been taken care of in the 15 BUSINESS DAYS between me being accepted/registering for orientation and today

and B even though I got overrides from department people to help me get into classes (one of which filed up while I was sorting this poo poo out so now I'm on two wait lists instead of one that's been full for a month and isn't semester critical), calc 1 is also a hard pre req to transfer from mech.eng pending to mech.eng active, which in turn is required for 3 of my 4 classes. meaning if that major transfer request gets rejected before the ap scores get there I'll be kicked out of those 3 classes, meaning I'll be even further back on the two wait lists, and possibly on a third

all because they couldn't be bothered to say "yo if you took ap credits we need official records if that too, go here to send them"

boy my university careers if to a great loving start huh

*no offense to actual cocksuckers or scat lovers

anyway I've been up like 3fucking6 hours at this point so im sleep

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Enourmo posted:

in unrelated news

loving poo poo eating cocksuckers* at my school don't recognize my loving ap calc credit from high school

even though ive taken calc 2. and 3. and physics 1 and 2 with calc, and Statics and differential equations

because I didn't pay the very special $25 to have college board send my OFFICIAL AP TEST SCORES (a piece of paper w/ a 3 printed in it) to them and having it in both my hs and community college official transcripts isn't loving enough

which A theres no reason I shouldn't have known this before now except apparently while THEY can run a degree audit while im still in the mech eng "pending" track, I can't because gently caress me I guess, otherwise this thing (which takes up to 15 BUSINESS DAYS ) could have been taken care of in the 15 BUSINESS DAYS between me being accepted/registering for orientation and today

and B even though I got overrides from department people to help me get into classes (one of which filed up while I was sorting this poo poo out so now I'm on two wait lists instead of one that's been full for a month and isn't semester critical), calc 1 is also a hard pre req to transfer from mech.eng pending to mech.eng active, which in turn is required for 3 of my 4 classes. meaning if that major transfer request gets rejected before the ap scores get there I'll be kicked out of those 3 classes, meaning I'll be even further back on the two wait lists, and possibly on a third

all because they couldn't be bothered to say "yo if you took ap credits we need official records if that too, go here to send them"

boy my university careers if to a great loving start huh

*no offense to actual cocksuckers or scat lovers

anyway I've been up like 3fucking6 hours at this point so im sleep

SO non-sleep deprived followup (I slept twice from 7 pm to midnight and 7 am to 1-ish, god I was loving tired yesterday)

Those official AP scores? Since I took the test back in 2006 I don't get to use the online order form, nor do I get an option for expedited shipping. I had to fax my request form in and they won't let me talk to anyone in the office to make sure they physically received it in the fax tray, so I won't even know if it made it through until I call back Monday afternoon and get confirmation that it's been processed into the system. Meaning that 15 business days won't start til Monday, and it could be Friday the 21st before the school gets the scores. And classes start Monday the 24th.

So basically gently caress me for taking the long route through school, and gently caress the college for not letting me audit my degree a loving month ago so I could have taken care of this beforehand.

I got into the class with the short waitlist btw, but if the AP scores dont get there in time and they process and deny my major change before then, I'll get dropped back to "pending" and kicked out of three of the classes, two of which are at the beginning of a core class chain leading all the way to my senior Design II class needed to graduate. Meaning if I can't take them this semester, that's already delaying my graduation 2.5 years down the road, before I even get into the classes themselves. And the longer this all takes and the closer it gets to start of classes, the longer the waitlists will be and the less likely more people will drop out to make room.

I'm already dealing with a lovely depression/anxiety hypercombo dealing with finding apartments near the school so I don't have a 30 minute commute/45 minute parking spot hunt (by all accounts that's how bad parking is), i don't need this bureaucratic horseshit on top of that. I've taken Calc 2/3, Physics 1/2, Statics, Statistics and Differential Equations, that's SEVEN loving CLASSES, that have Calc 1 as a pre-req. Anyone with 2 loving brain cells to rub together could surmise that I must have passed the class to take the rest of those, but nope, I get to play the waiting game and basically constantly hyperventilate until it's done with, because THE SYSTEM doesn't work that way.

Oh and my mom is mad at me for being stressed out over this and daring to be mad about the stupidity of the situation, so gently caress me for being a human too I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

happy july 2016 futurekind

actually that would be a trip, just have 12 chat threads that only open for their respective month

• Locked thread