Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
First for real Friday check-in: 1,379 words so far. Some family interference, but mostly summer cleaning. I've got a mountain of paperwork I need to individually sort through to determine what can be recycled and what has to be shredded. Fortunately this weekend should provide ample opportunity to punch out some words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wMyg5Zwd6ebbqp8Krfem-Oo7-Z-dMtw3cfHVelXBz0I/edit?usp=sharing

Story for 7/15, 1935 words.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 16, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

3,123 words. Could be better. Wasted a lot of time.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Might as well do this now - 6544 words so far, goal met.

2nd draft (all written this month), magical realism (?) piece:

1st draft, fresh, fantasy:

Would anybody be interested in swapping crits? I'd love a crit of the second-draft piece, since I know the next draft needs a lot of change but I'm too close to the story to see where. Am happy to swap and crit a long-rear end story in return.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm still working on my goal, but I'll be happy to crit either of your pieces.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Thank you, painted bird!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z7X7JYrfarFlWRmUTfS6-BBL5YxNKoQ2V7wU4PWhT6I/edit?usp=sharing

Hit 'request access' and I'll grant - don't want to make it public since I plan to send it off to a couple of mags once it's eventually done.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
week two goal since i forgot to upload it last night

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
After tapping away at a keyboard for the past two hours, I managed to make my intermediate goal of 3000 words! And they're distinctly more coherent than last month's. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

About 1k but have set aside time to jam out the next 5k and submit.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm probably gonna eat the toxx this month. My laptop broke, and that's slashed my writing time totally to shreds.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm probably gonna eat the toxx this month. My laptop broke, and that's slashed my writing time totally to shreds.

If this were thunderdome I'd be at your throat.

But it's not, so my sympathies, and I hope you find your way through this time without too much hassle

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Story for 7/22: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BDNhlvw02PPjvBZWbn-Rb4hAcKnlo8u__blbVYfO0AE/edit?usp=sharing

This is an old one I reworked from the ground-up.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah it's not looking too good for me this month. Goodbye cruel forums, probably.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

12k words.

gotta write 48k words in like.... a week. haha. hahahah.

sad thing is I haven't totally admitted defeat yet.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

crabrock posted:

12k words.

gotta write 48k words in like.... a week. haha. hahahah.

sad thing is I haven't totally admitted defeat yet.

i belief in u crab

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

6,402 words. Better get crackin'.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Finished my 5k word toxx with two stories.

First one is this weird rear end train one idk wtf it is but i kinda like it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12QjZ3oGqozcjleCpJcvtY3a75QWXUvrU5zfuW_ByI9E/edit?usp=sharing - 3734 words

Next one is this really stupid story that is extremely rough but also i kinda like it too. It was supposed to be this TD week's submission though I'm a judge. But I wrote it anyways and I went over the word count so I'm considering it non-TD: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lTNDPehztiQs76LXk29SAousQVwHYvWgNHVTEujXqPs/edit?usp=sharing - 1624 words

Total Word Count: 5358 words.

flerp fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 27, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm going to try to finish, but this month has been a shitshow. If I don't report by the deadline... I'll be back.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I'm going to have company the next few days so I won't be around much, so I'll just say goodbye now. Goodbye goons. Got 15k written, but it just wasn't enough! Life threw me some curveballs and unfortunately writing isn't a priority for me right now.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

crabrock posted:

I'm going to have company the next few days so I won't be around much, so I'll just say goodbye now. Goodbye goons. Got 15k written, but it just wasn't enough! Life threw me some curveballs and unfortunately writing isn't a priority for me right now.

:ohdear:

I have right around 7K to write this week. I feel like I'm going to meet the toxx, but I'm going to have to do some terrible, terrible things to my novel in the process.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Story for 7/29: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1miNEnx9pfjUxi9Xlh5FYhjzp_c85IbvkCndaleo0ww4/edit?usp=sharing

All told, it's 8,058 words total.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
gently caress it, why not? I was kinda bailing because I have a YLLS toxx I was also about to fail hard, but then I had a fitness breakthrough and suddenly

1) I feel awesome
2) that's one toxx down
3) I don't wanna get banned

Two days

8000 words

This July, Muffin writes like he's got the devil breathing up his rear end in a top hat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Write hard peoples I don't want to ban you all

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

I got 5 k on the, uh, 7th?

This is where I've been sitting since then, out of utter lazy:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I have only 3800 words to go, we're good

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
I haven't tallied yet but I feel pretty safe - 2 short stories, couple of chapters, each pulling in around 2k words. Going to finish up today's work and post screens tomorrow

edit:

posting proof: just over 10k. Definitely lagged in the middle of the month and cranked out some words in the last few days that will have to be revised.

http://imgur.com/a/8RZ5p

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 31, 2015

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
8K of pure garbage written in about three hours comin right up ding ding ding bitches the toxx fairy can't touch me

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
this is the worst poo poo I've ever written and it's all getting deleted as soon as the month is over

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

are you sure that's writing? it looks like math.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

All words for the month in a single document. It was... close.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

National Guard annual training the next two weeks, still gonna :toxx: to get up to 75k for August though

no specific word count for the month, just 80k on the novel period, so even if I cut anything from this month it's still 75k

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15CQyz9AecgDGdSEzLmrbeksBsCovNwXkzimj9sjKi9w/edit?usp=sharing

8326/8000, including a first version of an outline for a novel alongside a dozen or so sets of character notes.

Probably not going to go in August; I want to get to where I'm actually writing the thing before going again and there's about a month or so worth of tinkering with the outline and figuring out characters before that can happen.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Almost forgot about this!

Words: (~3.5k are Dome stuff, which I'm not counting)

Submissions:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
20K goal met.

Novel starting count was 47,434. Current count is 59,673. Total words: 12,239.

And 8K words on an untitled for-fun project that I started working on because my novel was making me a little crazy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

So earlier this month I made a :toxx: bet that I could write at least 20k words in my spare time before the end of July. As of this post I've written 19k and hit a snag in where I want to go with what I've got. I could just write junk to hit the milestone, sure, but that's no fun.

First person to quote this post gets to name the prompt that determines what my last thousand words are gonna be about.

GorfZaplen posted:

A man goes to the funeral of his grandfather that he has never met, and finds that his grandfather is a bear. That is my prompt for you.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Just about made it! I'm pretty happy with how much I've written this month. :)

I mean, it's not like it's double-digit numbers or anything, but still. It's better than before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

That's just for my Long Walk Project, I had about 3k for another thing too.

AFTER ACTION REPORT:

I made heavy use of both Scrivener's tools and pomodoro timing (using http://www.tomighty.org/ which is a good app for that, thanks whoever linked me originally).

I put more (see: any at all) effort into consciously constructing scenes instead of just typing ideas until things seemed like they were good to move on. This really helped me whittle poo poo down to "what am I trying to convey", which has always been a problem, instead of having a lot of meandering trash that never quite reaches a coherent point.

We'll see if Clarkesworld notices my efforts to improve. If not I have one other publication lined up, and then I guess I can toss it on Amazon? What're people's angles for doing for that sort of "make-money-from-this" action these days?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I think the general consensus for short fiction is "you don't."

Basically, send it out to Clarkesworld / BCS / anyone else who will take a story that fits the length / genre you've got and pays at a pro rate. If nobody bites, then decide whether or not you want to try semi-pro markets, which basically equates to beer money.

You can try self-pubbing, but I've never heard of individual stories getting any traction. Collections are hard enough to move as it is, especially by a single author.

Basically, the outlook is pretty grim for making money off of short fiction beyond "hey I can order a pizza tonight I guess" unless you are Jhumpa Lahiri.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Only 5k and a bit of those were from this month but I can't figure out how to make Scrivener display the word count for only a particular section rather than the whole document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
prooooooompt

• Locked thread