Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
I'll join if you need people, but I think someone as absent minded as me playing two games at once is fraught with peril, so prioritize others over me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Oh, well, I'm it to Gwyn it then, naturally.

Loved your last one.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Slept in, sorry.

Never lynch Bif day one.
Never lynch Gaspy day one. Gaspy, immediately previous game notwithstanding is generally twitchy and incompetent scum with a Riddler like need to be caught. As town he may do some good.

Gonna go back to the start and see what jumps out.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Currently twitchy about FS tbh. Taking any of Beet and Gaspy's earlier joking as an actual theory strikes me as an early angle.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I have voted for Gaspy , people who know their Mafia history. Can't remember if it stuck or not,but I have done it. Lynching eachother isn't out of bounds - just nightkills.
At the end of last game while it was slightly more likely that Gaspy was scum instead of MO. Gaspy had been clever whereas MO had been lurky as all get out. In the event it WAS MO, I think it would have set a bad precedent.

I'm not quite so stupid that if there is incontrovertible evidence toward Gaspy I wont vote for him. And vica verca.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Freudian Slip posted:

So you read Beet and Gaspy claims about being vanilla town as joking?

Yes. They're always mucking about in the early game. Same as how Gaspy was talking about the scumdoc. It's the opening series of feints the do.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Matthew Beet posted:

I've never known gaspy to outright lie for multiple posts though.
Then you've never known Gaspy.

Birdstrike posted:

Gaspy straight up said that he wouldn't have voted for you in lylo in that game.

He didn't have to. Were he town and were I scum and he KNEW I was scum, he would have. He may have more honor than me. I pushed for him in some of the games I was scum because it more blameless than night killing. Don't remember if it stuck, though.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Figures. Shoulda kept my stupid mouth shut.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I will say, Bif mentioning any sort of post I do as being 'the usual' seems odd. I'm probably being weird and guarded because like in the PONPONPON game, I actually have abilities that might be useful and that always messes with Gwynstinct.

Scum team for me is: FS, Mith, Strike

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

If you're missing that patented gwynsane and generally inaccurate wild speculation.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

Why am I not surprised :allears:

Because I always throw out wild speculation without voting in the early parts of the game to see which scum are twitchy enough to react to it.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Shouldn't surprise anyone anymore really.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

Yes... this is part of that "usual" behaviour you have that you seem surprised for me to have noticed :buddy:

The wild speculation never changes, Bif but if I'm too formulaic people will someday get a read on me that's actually accurate. So far so good this game, though.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Matthew Beet posted:

But town don't need to worry about people reading them accurately. :confused:

I don't want to be read in general. That's not just a mafia thing, either.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Kat Delacour posted:

Gwyn is always worried about sounding scummy.

Used to be. These days, I've just accepted that I always sound scummy. The dangenropa game? Remember just how scummy I apparently was? Except I totally wasn't. This is the same. People wanna say 'gosh, Gwyn's acting strange/scummy' and then get a useful town role lynched? Bummer for me, but it'll prove my point.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

So you read others, draw them, but don't want to be read yourself?

Yup. As scum, I don't want to be found.
As town I don't trust people to read me accurately because everyone says my behavior is scummy anyway. Safer to obfuscate.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Kat Delacour posted:

But you're so eager to chat up how useful you are which IS weird.

My eagerness is transparent, yeah. Got powers I've never had. Wanna see how it goes.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Freudian Slip posted:

Non mafia post

You do realise that in real life, that people being able to read you is a good thing right? Unless your job is in sales or some other industry where you have to lie, people being able to read you and you them is a really important part of normal healthy communication.

I'm a designer who is changing careers to become a private investigator. People don't need to know what I actually think of them.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

Nah that's Gwyn tbh

As much as anything can be.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wait, really? Well based on that mafia game where you were posting as a noir PI you've got some work to do ;)

The fact that I'm an imbecile had not escaped my attention, no.

Freudian Slip posted:

OK, that's legit scary and pretty cool if true. I take back what I said.

Already got two pieces of paper on my wall that get me no work. May as well get a third that I have any level of actual ability in. Working part time and doing a short course in forensics and profiling to build up the money so I can pay for my training upfront.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Kat Delacour posted:

I think he was scum that game and the noir was his cover.

Correct. It was an early attempt at obfuscation. I was gonna do it in other games but only burgs seemed to really enjoy it.

I miss burgs.

I think we all do.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

I thought it was a cop loafcrumb and you were calling out your results on Gaspy. :(

Nah, Gaspy was town as that game. It's why I was pushing on him. He was gonna figure me out before too long if I didn't.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I'd RATHER not get lynched day one. But if we have no other ideas I guess we could. I'll flip town and it'll further prove that getting a scum read on me is pointless. I'm more trouble than I'm worth with a power anyways.

Lets DEFINITELY NOT lynch any cruisey lurkers day one. Wouldn't want THAT to happen! I don't even wanna THINK about it! man oh man! Whew!

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Matthew Beet posted:

Uhh no, that's exactly what the game of mafia is about gumshoe.

For you.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I'm saying that so many things are scummy and are KNOWN to be scummy that looking for what's traditionally scummy is not particularly effective. People keep jumping on innocent town because the way they act is apparently 'scummy as gently caress', seems to be wrong more often than not. Might be selective recognition. Might not.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Seriously folks. You can just lynch me. I always waste any power I have.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I can only assume Gaspy is at work.

Matthew Beet posted:

stop the anidav routine please gwyn

Is that an Anidav thing to do? I thought he always fought it.
I wont vote for myself or anything. But we should never not lynch day one.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

Appearing scummy as a town is actually a good skill for a town to have, particularly one with a role.

I will say, I think it's the reason I keep surviving quite late into games. The scum team generally figures they can keep me around as a scape goat because it easy to get heat on me. It's why I don't tend to suspect those who put heat on me day one. If they're scum, they lack planning.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

TOMLs pretty chill about Mafia these days. I think he'd understand.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Tirade posted:

My reason for choosing over toml or FS is that if hiip is scum then it paints a target on toml and fs for conveniently ignoring hiip in their respective posts. It's a weaker link if we go the other way.

Not bad.

Real talk? Tirade, it's good to be in a mafia game with you again, just saying.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Freudian Slip posted:

poo poo - I totally missed Hiipfire. He hasn't posted today. I am more than happy to lynch him if he doesn't post soon. Lurkers who are town are useless as they don't help with lynching. Lurkers who are scum are the loving worst.

No argument there. I keep missing big patches because I work at night often without a break, then sleep in but I do feel there are limits. In the old games when I posted less, I tried to make each post huge and noticeable, so as not to skulk.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I always assumed Kats anger gave them powers. It's important for us to forgive the occasional fury induced slip up in their data.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Asphyxious posted:

Gwyn, you want my advice? Bring less of yourself to Mafia. It's a tense game even when there's nothing to take personally. It's a game, play it as a game. It's a lesson I had to learn the very, very hard way. It's time to get on the Nightbeat, it's time for Gwynensity, Gwyntegrity, and Gwyntelligence.

Pedal to the metal, bro.

Erm. I'm fine? I'm having a good time here. I was just explaining my beliefs in not being easy to read. These days it's just how I play mafia because apparently every thing I said and did in it was scummy. The more I tried not to be scummy, the scummier I seemed to be. I assume it's just my nature or the way I talk or something.

Also, I taking tripping over personally. You know that.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Asphyxious posted:

Yeah but you're kinda going full Dirge here.

I think that's a matter of type being hard to interpret.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Mith isn't coming across particularly scummy to me, but that might just be a relative measure.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Hello gentlemen.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Asphyxious posted:

Tell me, have you seen a scum exit this game?

No?

Then we still have a problem.

Big problem.

We're running out of time and I think the strongest vote we have is three.

We need consensus. At least some.

##vote those on my left

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Matthew Beet posted:

you're concerned about time so you vote for someone who doesn't have a single vote on them yet.

mmmmmmmmmhhhhmmmmmm.

Thought I could get something going on account of how little they're posting, but yeah, that's foolish. Better to go with someone who has votes.
##unvote

##vote Matthew Beet

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

You only have one on you? thought it was three.
I must've missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Do people not need to ##unvote any more? Like if you vote for someone else it automatically unvotes first?

• Locked thread