Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Did they seriously use the same crowd noise as the stalemate audio from TF2 for the crowd of mannequins in 1-2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Zqr7crXp0
It is definitely that same dude saying "unbelievable!"

E: Also they hosed up the chess puzzles. In the first one, pawn to F7 isn't a valid move, and the explanation for why is the reason why you can't make the move pawn to E7. In the second puzzle pretty much every hint is wrong. For rook to G5, it claims the black king can take your rook or escape to H4, but H4 is threatened by the rook on F4. His legal move is taking the rook on G5. For bishop to D1 it says the king would move to H4, but H4 is still threatened. His legal move is taking the rook on G6 since it's no longer covered by the bishop on C2. Bishop to F5 is also wrong, again with a suggested move to H4. The reason why it's wrong is that after you move to F5, he moves his rook to F8. You then cannot checkmate him from that position and have put your rook on F4 in jeopardy. Last puzzle was fine.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThatPazuzu posted:

Ahahaha. Amazing, as you can see in the most recent video, the gently caress up an important item description too. Man, thanks for putting the effort in to post this. I usually try to work out these kind of things but just trust it when the game says I'm wrong.

Can you add time codes to those videos? I'm really bad at listening closely and didn't notice a stolen sound effect.

I doubt it's stolen, Valve uses stock sound effects plenty, I imagine they both got it from the same SFX provider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Zqr7crXp0&t=29s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSoHgH56JoU&t=2m7s

Also, all the SOLUTIONS are correct in the chess puzzle, they just tell you the wrong reason when you select an incorrect answer quite often. I suspect someone made the puzzle and then a different person did hint text.

E: About you not saying the game is subtle; by video game writing standards, it is at least fairly good at not telling you things you can figure out. Most games would have had Henry be like "I see, he's crazy because his son died when this train crashed!" or something, and would have directly had Henry say "I see, there are no rats because this is a Rigged Witch Trial, because this is like a Witch Trial". It's not much but it's something.

I'm more confused as to why Henry has Yesterday investigating this stuff since it seems like he's into the murderin'. If this is a bluff it's a pretty absurd one.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 15, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding 4-1:
Why is John so reluctant to explain poo poo to people? "Oh, I can't tell my psuedo girlfriend that I didn't meet up with her because I was almost murdered and have amnesia, better just pretend I'm an rear end in a top hat and ditched her for no reason." Who cares if she might not believe you, what's she going to do, hate you MORE? Also, Henry better have an amazing explanation for why he not only saved Yesterday but attempted to help him remember that he's his enemy. It's kind of a nice touch that Cooper models his mean guy torture act on that scoutmaster he hates.

Regarding 4-2:
I swear to god if Henry did all this poo poo just to find the diary and then didn't have his lackey just pop him in the head...

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's... kind of clever that the developers force you to get all the items you need from the outside before jumping in without putting in a clumsy "I think I should look around more" type gate, but it does make John look absolutely insanely picky. "No, I have to have the camera on a tripod otherwise my movie to myself will look SLOPPY" even though the real reason is "it forces you to take the level before you jump"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThatPazuzu posted:

This is an interesting observation but, sadly, you're giving the game too much credit. As we'll see in the next video (coming out Monday) the player never uses the level.

:cripes: I never should have assumed anything in an adventure game was good design.

• Locked thread