Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Galaxy Quest is the only good Star Trek movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Is Galaxy Quest an isekai? Discuss.

Only for that one dude who stays, probably.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's only Isekai if the protagonist gets hit by a truck. Otherwise it's just sparkling alternate-world.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Tunicate posted:

My favorite ancient Foundation story is when one of the big self important authors finally finished his epic series, and the final scene is his OC SCP robot girl finally uniting these primordial cosmic forces and ascending to godhood.

and then it was vandalized with

'And Fred was there too.'

He got super mad.

This is wonderful. Long live Fred.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Tunicate posted:

My favorite ancient Foundation story is when one of the big self important authors finally finished his epic series, and the final scene is his OC SCP robot girl finally uniting these primordial cosmic forces and ascending to godhood.

and then it was vandalized with

'And Fred was there too.'

He got super mad.

It really goes to show how up his own rear end he was. That should have been the cherry on top, a sign that he made it. Fred popped in via his own momentum.

It really is sad how simple it seems to just lean into things and how hard it is for so many people to do just that. I mean, I've had my creative ego poked too, I know the irrationality of the offense taken, but still.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

wonderful. thank you :allears:

http://www.scpwiki.com/experiment-log-423-a

Test Material: If on a winter's night a traveler, by Italo Calvino (English translation by William Weaver), a metafictional novel about interrupted and unfinished narratives, half of whose content is a second-person narrative describing a reader's increasingly frantic attempts to obtain and read a copy of If on a winter's night a traveler only to find that every copy is flawed such that every other chapter is from a different imaginary novel, and the other half is the aforementioned chapters from imaginary novels.

Results: In the section where the protagonist angrily returns the flawed copy of the novel to the bookseller in hopes of either obtaining a proper copy or finding out the conclusion to the chapter of the imaginary novel, another angry customer named Fred tells the bookseller that "if this is a joke, it's not funny."

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Parahexavoctal posted:

http://www.scpwiki.com/experiment-log-423-a

Test Material: If on a winter's night a traveler, by Italo Calvino (English translation by William Weaver), a metafictional novel about interrupted and unfinished narratives, half of whose content is a second-person narrative describing a reader's increasingly frantic attempts to obtain and read a copy of If on a winter's night a traveler only to find that every copy is flawed such that every other chapter is from a different imaginary novel, and the other half is the aforementioned chapters from imaginary novels.

Results: In the section where the protagonist angrily returns the flawed copy of the novel to the bookseller in hopes of either obtaining a proper copy or finding out the conclusion to the chapter of the imaginary novel, another angry customer named Fred tells the bookseller that "if this is a joke, it's not funny."

Lmao

Also boy, a lot of people have got some bad opinions about fiction that they chose to express through the fictional SCP Fred in those logs.

But some are fun:

quote:

Test Material: A hardcopy of this experiment log

Results: Identical, except for the insertion of the words "ruggedly handsome" in several sections of the log.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

quote:

Test Material: A hardcopy of this experiment log

Results: Identical, except for the insertion of the words "ruggedly handsome" in several sections of the log.

:hmbol:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't know if this book is terrible but I am just losing my mind at this cover:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Kittens AND cats? What a deal!

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

The infamous cleaner, Whiskers 'Tin Man' Maguire, owner of the biggest cat-food empire on the East Coast.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't know if this book is terrible but I am just losing my mind at this cover:

Ed Gorman was an indefatigable anthologist of mystery stories who died a few years ago in his eighties. That’s probably a low-budget reprint of some out-of-print anthology put together by him or some other Silent Generation type who didn’t know how to use a computer.

The stories are likely to be inoffensive mystery fluff.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I once stumbled upon the cat crime book section on Amazon. From memory there's several long book series about detectives with cats, cats that solve crimes, crimes at cat shows, etc. Just as there's cooking mysteries, gardeners that solve murders, etc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there books about cats that commit crimes?

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Cat burglars. Sentenced to life times nine.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Cat burglars. Sentenced to life times nine.

It was what child me had always hoped The Cat Who Walked Through Walls would be about.

It turned out there was no cat, just sex crimes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's that one cat who's broken every human law.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Oh yeah, huge quantities of mediocre affordable magazine reprints, I love this genre. My high school library had tons of this crap. My favorites were ‘edited’ by Alfred Hitchcock.

We as a culture are really missing something now that short-story-writer is no longer a way to make an adequate living.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remulak posted:

We as a culture are really missing something now that short-story-writer is no longer a way to make an adequate living.

It is, but you have to have a patreon and do horny commissions. Just like artists.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Remulak posted:

My favorites were ‘edited’ by Alfred Hitchcock.

Oh, yeah, same. If you grew up at a certain time, you were more likely to first know of Alfred Hitchcock as a TV personality and/or name on children's mystery books.

One likes to imagine alternate realities in which other famously difficult auteurs became kid-friendly brand names.

(Similarly, I remember reading at least a couple of Twilight Zone-branded short story collections edited [and often with stories by] Rod Serling, who actually was a writer.)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/11/cat-person

There is also "Cat Person", the viral New Yorker story, which does not involve any actual cats at all, much less a badass woman who turns into a cat and eats her partners, like I assumed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, yeah, same. If you grew up at a certain time, you were more likely to first know of Alfred Hitchcock as a TV personality and/or name on children's mystery books.

One likes to imagine alternate realities in which other famously difficult auteurs became kid-friendly brand names.

(Similarly, I remember reading at least a couple of Twilight Zone-branded short story collections edited [and often with stories by] Rod Serling, who actually was a writer.)

I did grow up knowing Ringo Starr as the narrator on Thomas the Tank Engine. As did a generation of autistic kids, apparently.

A lot of creators' signature styles aren't necessarily at all incompatible with child-friendly fare, though you rarely see it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I did grow up knowing Ringo Starr as the narrator on Thomas the Tank Engine. As did a generation of autistic kids, apparently.

A lot of creators' signature styles aren't necessarily at all incompatible with child-friendly fare, though you rarely see it.

Up here in Canada I got both Ringo Starr AND George Carlin as my narrators, great introduction to both.

e; apparently it was literally the same show, with George replacing Ringo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Ed Gorman was an indefatigable anthologist of mystery stories who died a few years ago in his eighties. That’s probably a low-budget reprint of some out-of-print anthology put together by him or some other Silent Generation type who didn’t know how to use a computer.

The stories are likely to be inoffensive mystery fluff.

not if you have allergies

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm trying to get close to a guy I've been talking to, so I'm reading the two books he's published over the last couple of years. I met him on a forum and he seemed like a level-headed person who had been through a lot, so I checked out his blog. There I saw that he fancies himself some kind of misunderstood artiste (he doesn't have much else going on in terms of skills) and it's all full of facile poetry and lots of allegorical tales about how he's a lone wolf who's been hurt by his peers. Or little reflective pieces like "how can I be a bad person when sadists literally exist." It's trite and unremarkable, but it made me think that his book would be this kind of intimate look into his thoughts. So, I bought the first of his books expecting that level of writing, full of metaphors, feelings, big ideas, and good vs. evil and all that.
But boy, was I wrong. I'm 80% done, but I don't think the last 20% is going to be any better. I don't know how old he was when started writing it -- he's around 28 and the book was only published two years ago -- but it's so juvenile. First of all, the main character is an obvious self-insert (he has the same name, body type, talents, diseases, interests and personality as the author) and at some point he hijacks a conversation to soapbox about the Pagan beliefs he has in real life. It's a zombie apocalypse story, but I guess he expects that the reader will have consumed every piece of zombie-related media in the last 15 years because there are literally no descriptions of how the zombies were created, what they look like, how they move or what they are capable of. No exaggeration. The characters don't even encounter a zombie until page 120 of 220. They're only mentioned twice in passing. Most of the encounters they have after that are written like this: "There was an infected blocking the doorway, but I stabbed it; then there were 20 more in the hallway, but I quickly dispatched them." They're the main reason the world went to poo poo, but they're the element in the story that has the least amount of effort put into it. You may be thinking that he is doing this to build tension... but there is none. It would take very little effort to turn this book into a summer camp story.
It starts with the four main characters, four bros who've known each other for years, holed up in a bar with very few supplies. You get no explanation of how they got there, what they're hiding from, what might happen if they leave or how desperate they are or what they've lost. Later on you get some dialogue that gives you a whole book's worth of prequel hooks, but so far, this is all you get. His writing style is so... perfunctory. It's nothing like his blog. You don't get any insight into how the characters feel or what their body language is.
After a few days (which go by very quickly since he really doesn't do a good job of making those days seem long), they are saved by a group of survivors and taken to a camp. This camp is run by a well-meaning leader who only exists to give the main characters things to do. When he's done giving orders, he's like, "I'm busy, bye." And now comes my favorite part and why I think he wrote this as a teen. The characters have to earn their keep by doing chores. In exchange they get food and a bed. So on the first day they have to knock down a walled-up door leading to a warehouse full of generators (the survivors have been here for days, why haven't they done this already?) and then serve food at the makeshift canteen. The main character is late for lunch on a couple of occasions because he oversleeps. After two days of doing simple chores like these, the main characters start complaining that they'd rather be starving back at the bar or killing zombies on the streets.
Then he introduces a female survivor who is, of course, perfect, selfless, and only exists to worship the main character's dick, and he does the thing where one of the main characters is bitten and the protagonist gives a minute-long speech before killing him. Also, sweep kicks solve every problem and teenagers deserve to die. Every character between the ages of 13 and 19 is treated with the utmost contempt and deserves to get yelled at constantly and die horribly.
Back when the author published the book, he got some buddies together and made a trailer for the book where they're walking through a forest, and the camera, held by the most unsteady hands in southern Europe, picks up a ton of wind noise which they didn't mute for some reason (there's no dialogue or other sound effects).
I'm going to buy the second book anyway. I think I'm one of like 10 people who read the first. I want to give him feedback, but I don't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat. I guess I'm just venting and this is the place where he's least likely to find this.

Spermando has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Mar 31, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why are you trying to sleep with this dude again?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also was wondering that, he'd better be fine as hell.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
He's quite hunky.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oh no

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Spermando posted:

He's quite hunky.

carry on

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ah, Himbo Lit.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

Why are you trying to sleep with this dude again?

Lets see, self insert character...

Spermando posted:

Then he introduces a female survivor who is, of course, perfect, selfless, and only exists to worship the main character's dick,

Magic dick!

(Also, how many good looking authors are there? I'd take the shot, too.)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SimonChris posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/11/cat-person

There is also "Cat Person", the viral New Yorker story, which does not involve any actual cats at all, much less a badass woman who turns into a cat and eats her partners, like I assumed.

friend, do I have the movie for you:

I thought cat person, was alright, but I also didn't have such lofty expectations

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not the update I was expecting from this thread, but certainly a pleasant surprise.

He better have some pretty nice abs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

(Also, how many good looking authors are there? I'd take the shot, too.)

China Mieville is hot to a degree that startled me the first time I saw a pic of him. However even if I could, I would not sleep with him, because apparently he's a bastard.

I think I could date someone who wrote awful fiction so long as they didn't require me to lie to them about it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

I think I could date someone who wrote awful fiction so long as they didn't require me to lie to them about it.

I have bad news about the kind of person that writes terrible fiction.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
You know what they say about people who write terrible fiction?
They have terrible adjectives for feet.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

This is a question for the ages. Which would I rather be told by someone I myself fancied:

"Your blog is jejune, and your novel a worryingly earnest self-insert into a blancmange of tedium, but your body is :discourse:."

or
"Your writing is :discourse: but frankly you have all the sex appeal of a weekend in a Swindon Travelodge."

Also, for reference, is the poetry better or worse than this example, which popped up on Reddit about a year ago and burned itself into my brain:

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Nah, he's not as creative with words. Might as well translate one of his poems:

quote:

A crossed out paragraph in my diary,
that's what it is.
A bitter forgotten memory,
which I covered so that it would disappear.

A miscalculation
which ruined the operation,
a misplaced number
which changed the result.

Like a comedy without humor,
or a romance without love,
breathing through the head
and eating with the heart.

A candle that goes out,
in the middle of the night,
and an old man who stumbles,
and his life darkens.

A crossed out paragraph in this world,
a mistake in these times,
a tragicomedy without a heart,
or an old man in the night

One forgotten by himself,
and an unforeseen result,
a head that goes out,
and a failure, which is me.

And there's also this post in his blog which I really loved:

quote:

"Live"
Live! Live on! With your insecurities and your flaws.
Go on living with your shortcomings and empty lives, with the imperious need to feel superior to those around you. You live by shielding yourselves with money in a world of appearances and lies.

In the meantine, I'll live on too.
I'll live on enjoying the songs of the birds, the breeze and the sunlight.

You'll have your money, your cars, your expensive clothes... But you'll also have a void within you which money will never be able to fill.
But I have the forests, the animals... I have the gift of enjoying all those things you consider absurd and simple.
I have everything that life holds, and I'm able to enjoy it.

I need nothing more.

Spermando has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Apr 1, 2021