Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

muscles like this! posted:

A funny novelisation thing is how Max Alan Collins wrote the comic book Road to Perdition, which turned into a movie. Collins then wrote the novelisation of the movie. So he did an adaptation of an adaptation of his own work.

Tony Wilson wrote the novelization of Twenty Four Hour Party People. An embellished comedy movie he didn't write retelling part of his own life with him as the main character (A movie he disliked). So he essentially wrote a biography of himself that probably can't be considered an autobiography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I paid actual money for the novelisation of Re-Animator and it's actually very good? I mean, for a novelisation.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

packetmantis posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Nah, there is a novelisation of the movie that was an adaptation of some short stories. It adds some character background and a few events that aren't in the movie and generally rounds things out and it is not written horribly. I would not advise anyone else pay money for it but it's honestly not bad.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I have a copy of the Independence Day: Resurgence novelisation on a shelf somewhere. I don't intend to read it, but it was super-discounted when I was ordering something else and I couldn't resist.

Also a small stack of ~70s Doctor Who novelisations, but those are great, probably.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes the novels are written off a script that hasn't been finished or is still shooting, so sometimes the novels have way different poo poo than the movie ends up having. That's always neat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Sometimes the novels are written off a script that hasn't been finished or is still shooting, so sometimes the novels have way different poo poo than the movie ends up having. That's always neat.

Yeah, I remember the Independence Day one had the version where Randy Quaid straps a missile to a biplane instead of flying an F/A-18 into the ship.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The novelization of Fritz Lang's Metropolis was apparently useful to the people trying to restore the film decades after much of it was lost.

(And the novelization of King Kong is public domain, which means the story of King Kong is public domain, but you have to be careful because a few things are different in the movie and that's still under copyright.)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The 89 batman film novel is pretty different, but iirc the ending is basically the same. They just cut a bunch of admittedly would have been cool scenes.

I didn't know they could vary, so when I read the book and then saw the movie I was kinda both floored and pissed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The original script treatments for what ended up being 89 Batman are apparently wild as gently caress, somehow being like the 66 series and Frank Miller all at the same time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Alan Dean Foster is the king of SF movie novelizations from the 70s up until very recently - some under his own name, others ghostwritten (like the original Star Wars novel!). I have a soft spot for some of them, like his take on The Last Starfighter.

But to swing back closer to the thread topic: if you want terrible, go look at Foster's unsolicited treatment for Star Wars Episode 9 (search for "May 1 2018" at his blog) because holy god drat is it awful.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Alan Dean Foster is the king of SF movie novelizations from the 70s up until very recently - some under his own name, others ghostwritten (like the original Star Wars novel!). I have a soft spot for some of them, like his take on The Last Starfighter.

But to swing back closer to the thread topic: if you want terrible, go look at Foster's unsolicited treatment for Star Wars Episode 9 (search for "May 1 2018" at his blog) because holy god drat is it awful.

Is that the one Jenny Nicholson did an episode on? Because, if so, it's awful.

Given the mess that episode 9 turned into, it's starting that even an independent observer with no restrictions couldn't make anything of it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lemniscate Blue posted:

God drat that's some impressively terrible blog design too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There's a YouTube channel that goes over the differences between novels and their film adaptations and I always thought it'd be neat to do the same thing for films and their novelizations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/readbytiffany/status/1378411866095935489?s=19

This sure sounds like a well-researched book set in feudal Japan.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's a YouTube channel that goes over the differences between novels and their film adaptations and I always thought it'd be neat to do the same thing for films and their novelizations.

Lost in Adaptation!

I like that channel. It's fun times.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPtiXdv7RoU8IkrJeNY73qw

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I'd like to know more about the elf-lord.

I'm sorry I don't have more information yet! It turned out that I reached out to her during a time of need, so it didn't really come up. That being said, I'm kind of grateful that reading this thread and remembering something dumb has helped me reach out to her. You never know until you act!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I am reminded of how so many Hollywood directors seem fascinated with Japan and yet are so obviously only surface-level familiar to the point where the average weeb probably knows more and can speak more coherently about the actual culture and history of the place.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I am reminded of how so many Hollywood directors seem fascinated with Japan and yet are so obviously only surface-level familiar to the point where the average weeb probably knows more and can speak more coherently about the actual culture and history of the place.

See Isle of Dogs. A Wes Anderson movie set in Japan about dogs was something I was very much looking forward to. That movie though... oof

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Apr 5, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

See Isle of Dogs. A Wes Anderson movie set in Japan about dogs was something I was very much looking forward to. That movie though... oof

Yeah, I was really excited to watch this a couple months ago and I was just.. yeah. Oof.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I enjoyed the movie. What was wrong with it?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Don't you mean "woof?"

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I remember the novelization of "Terminator 2" being surprisingly engaging, and it included the deleted scene with the learning-chip switch, without which the entire third act of the movie makes very little sense.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ibblebibble posted:

I've read it; It's set in feudal japan in the same way that game of thrones is set in 15th century england tbh. It uses some of the words (Shogun, Shogunate, the character names.... Uh... Thats about it I think?) and frankly if you crossed them out and replaced them with their western equivalents it would make zero difference to the story, its mainly a steampunk fantasy thing. the asian aspects are, as that tweet intimates, mainly just aesthetics.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I enjoyed the movie. What was wrong with it?

It’s very othering and has a white savior storyline. Very late 80s Japanese economic menace vibes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

spite house posted:

I remember the novelization of "Terminator 2" being surprisingly engaging, and it included the deleted scene with the learning-chip switch, without which the entire third act of the movie makes very little sense.

The best thing about the Re-Animator novelisation is that it reveals that West is actually *Canadian*. No wonder he's so invested in reviving the dead, they're all necromancers up there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HopperUK posted:

Lost in Adaptation!

I like that channel. It's fun times.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPtiXdv7RoU8IkrJeNY73qw

I just remembered there was another channel that also does it with more produced videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va8cCNCR8XY

I guess they got bought by IGN because I don't remember that branding when I watched a couple of these years back.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

HopperUK posted:

The best thing about the Re-Animator novelisation is that it reveals that West is actually *Canadian*. No wonder he's so invested in reviving the dead, they're all necromancers up there.

This is a call-out to the original story.

West isn't Canadian in 'Herbert West -- Reanimator', but in 1915 he volunteers as a doctor for a Canadian regiment in Flanders, taking the narrator along with him, in search of a plentiful source of fresh corpses (the US would not join WW1 until 1917, and West clearly didn't want to miss out on valuable research time).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Carnival of Shrews posted:

This is a call-out to the original story.

West isn't Canadian in 'Herbert West -- Reanimator', but in 1915 he volunteers as a doctor for a Canadian regiment in Flanders, taking the narrator along with him, in search of a plentiful source of fresh corpses (the US would not join WW1 until 1917, and West clearly didn't want to miss out on valuable research time).

Oh that's right, I forgot about that little snippet. I remembered the wartime bit but forgot the Canada connection.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The novelization of The Rocketeer goes into the gangster's backstory in detail so when the time comes, you understand exactly why he turns on Timothy Dalton when he finds out he's a Nazi.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
My novelization story is "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer".

In that there wasn't one. The 'novelization' is just the film script, or one of the final versions anyway, reprinted inside.

There's not bringing your A game, and then there's THAT.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Senior Woodchuck posted:

finds out he's a Nazi.

You don't need any more reason than that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mamkute posted:

You don't need any more reason than that.

Really one of my favorite little bits of the movie, when the mobster and the G-man find themselves both shooting at the same Nazis, and the mobster just grins at him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ibblebibble posted:

Tweet's gone private, sounds like YA twitter strikes again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How do people still not realize how twitter works

The whole point of the game is to never become Twitter's protagonist and the best way to do that is to never post on it in the first place

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I missed the poop. Pics?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm not sure this is entirely the right thread but I recently came across this:
https://tidbits.com/2014/05/02/funbits-bears-in-boats-fighting-crime/

Review of a self published book about teddy bears that investigate a crime in Paris. The review also talks a good deal about the features of whatever writing program the guy used to write said book. The gold however comes after that where he rants in the comments over every criticism in the review quoting entire sections of his book saying how brilliant each of those passages are. He compares himself to Fitzgerald and Keats and at one point replies to his own replies so much the comments go to one letter per line.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I heard the F+ episode that covered this guy, but they didn't read the excerpt occasioning those comparisons (yes, both of them) (or maybe they did, but I don't remember, and I can't check at work):

quote:

However, what struck me immediately upon entering was perfume. It wasn't Cordelia—rather roses. The scent was unmistakable. There were dozens and dozens of flowers in vases of all descriptions filling the living room. Roses grew from metal floor stands and stood in cut-crystal on side-tables and window-ledges and overflowed into the dining room, stopping only when the bouquets had covered her kitchen counters, scenting the air throughout like crazy. Some bear had sent her bright yellow and orange dozens, poised next to red, white and pink dozens. In the center of the living room, two dozen anxious roses blushed lavender by the vacant love-seat.
And here's another choice passage:

quote:

But here’s the other frightening thing: there are bears out there who willingly do harm to others. They knew it and didn’t care. These were hard, reckless bears who took without conscience or remorse. And worse, they stole away our faith in each other; and they didn’t care about that either. There were bad consequences and all would pay. To many, Glass had been a benevolent angel spreading his largesse over the City. He offered money, security and protection. All that was now yanked away. Those in Venice who had benefited from his vast generosity—and there were many—would have to return to the world of unmet longings, a much barer reality. Great wealth affords certain comfort. I guess that’s the appeal, ultimately—the feeling that we’re being cared for and looked after; that we are safe with basic bear needs met. But the cold light of day coming up on this crisp Venetian morning would be a stark reminder that life is uncertain and we can find ourselves adrift on turbulent waters.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Apr 27, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Darkhold posted:

I'm not sure this is entirely the right thread but I recently came across this:
https://tidbits.com/2014/05/02/funbits-bears-in-boats-fighting-crime/

Review of a self published book about teddy bears that investigate a crime in Paris. The review also talks a good deal about the features of whatever writing program the guy used to write said book. The gold however comes after that where he rants in the comments over every criticism in the review quoting entire sections of his book saying how brilliant each of those passages are. He compares himself to Fitzgerald and Keats and at one point replies to his own replies so much the comments go to one letter per line.

Oh my god he keeps responding so much that it's just a line of single letters all in a row by the end. I'm loving dying.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I wonder if this is actually Spider Robinson in the comments?

(Also, a lot of people cheering "Yeah! Stick it to the powerful and mighty reviewers!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara. This is a true crime novel about the Golden State Killer. Some of the books flaws are understandable since McNamara died during the writing. The editor explicitly states which chapters are pieced together from her original manuscript.

That said, the amount of cop worship on display is really silly considering
A) Despite a dozen fawning passages about how smart and perceptive the detectives are, it still took them over 40 years to catch the guy.
B) She couldn't have known this then, But the GSK turned out to have been a cop.

Probably the most hosed up part is when apropos of nothing she tells a story of a time she almost called the cops on two black teenagers she saw in the neighborhood. She decided against it because she was worried she'd come off as racist. It didn't even have anything to do with the GSK investigation.