Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

See also: Neil Gaiman's Doctor Who episode

That episode was smug and saccharin as hell, but the reveal that the TARDIS wanted to be stolen was a genius move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
I just found out that EL James is riding this cashcow right to her grave and has been writing a sequel trilogy, which is just 50 Shades but told from the point of view of the guy.

To the surprise of absolutely no one, her writing has not improved at all.

quote:

As she tells me she likes her tea weak and black, for a moment I think she’s describing what she likes in a man.

Get a grip, Grey. She’s talking about tea.

quote:

Her words travel directly to my dick, passing "Go" on the way. gently caress. This calls for - what did she call them? SHOUTY CAPITALS.

quote:

Her blazing blue eyes see everything. See me. My soul. She sees the darkness and the monster beneath.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
So... is Cassandra Clare's writing noticeably fanfiction-y? I may have read about half of 50sog but there's no way I hate myself enough to expose myself to her writing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

I just found out that EL James is riding this cashcow right to her grave and has been writing a sequel trilogy, which is just 50 Shades but told from the point of view of the guy.

The funny thing is Stephenie Meyer tried to do the same thing with Twilight but people hated it so much she canceled the book. Although she claimed it was due to hackers stealing a draft or something like that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

muscles like this! posted:

The funny thing is Stephenie Meyer tried to do the same thing with Twilight but people hated it so much she canceled the book. Although she claimed it was due to hackers stealing a draft or something like that.

lol read those excerpts though

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't she eventually just loving gender-swap everyone in the series by doing a "find-and-replace", and re-release the books that way? That'll be EL James' next move no doubt.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

quote:

An American near Billy wailed that she had excreted everything but her brains. Moments later she said, 'There they go, there they go.' She meant her brains.
That was I. That was me. That was the author of this book.

gotta say i dunno about these search & replace type new editions

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Nah, it's popular because it's about a handsome billionaire who gets so infatuated with a woman that he can't control himself in her presence, showers her with expensive gifts and has awesome sex with her. Like, a lot of sex.
I have never read the book or seen the movie for Fifty Shades of Grey but I have gone with a date to the movie version of the sequel, Fifty Shades Darker, and I can absolutely confirm this take on the series' popularity. The sequel is pretty much 'Hi, I'm a handsome experienced billionaire who has beautiful women throwing themselves at him but what I really want more than anything is for you to change me please'.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

MorgaineDax posted:

L, an M, an F A O
James, a bloated mewling hack
Me, I will not
Read these books

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MorgaineDax posted:

Women's words regularly travel directly to my dick, and I too frequently yell 'Shouty Capitals' when it happens.

This is a thing a human being would say, because I am a human being.

I am not a lizard.

Shouty Capitals.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I Before E posted:

If you enjoyed Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast Of Champions is the book directly after that and builds on some of the structural conceits in fascinating ways, so I'd recommend reading that one even though Mother Night is also a good read.
There's also Hocus Pocus, which is basically Slaughterhouse-Five but written when Vonnegut was pushing 70. It's the crankiest book in the best possible way.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

there wolf posted:

Something tells me that E. L. James isn't the type to attract/accept betas who will do more than check for typos.

Also a reminder that there are successful working authors who started out in fanfiction, but you'd never know it because they bothered to hone their skill and adapt the styles of published fiction. When people talk poo poo about fanfiction writer breaking out of their hobbiest ghetto, they don't bring up Naomi Novak.

Wait, Naomi Novak wrote a bunch of fanfiction? Tell me more.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dienes posted:

Wait, Naomi Novak wrote a bunch of fanfiction? Tell me more.

There's not much to say about her actual works. She's mostly notable for building a system of protection around fanworks by founding the Organization for Transformative Works which runs the author-supporting Archive of Our Own and funds legal cases defending of fanworks.

And when I was talking about fanfic writers going legitimate I was really referring to the post-internet, dedicated archives fanfiction culture that Inescapable Duck described earlier. Fanworks can and should be defined more broadly than that, but I was singling out that particular subculture.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

girl pants posted:

So... is Cassandra Clare's writing noticeably fanfiction-y? I may have read about half of 50sog but there's no way I hate myself enough to expose myself to her writing

Yes. Especially if you read or vaguely knew anyone who was in to Harry Potter and in fandom from like 2002-2006/7. Her main dude in her mortal instruments series is definitely her fanfic Draco. She got kicked off of fanfiction.net for plagiarism because she was ripping off Buffy/Angel.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Yes. Especially if you read or vaguely knew anyone who was in to Harry Potter and in fandom from like 2002-2006/7. Her main dude in her mortal instruments series is definitely her fanfic Draco. She got kicked off of fanfiction.net for plagiarism because she was ripping off Buffy/Angel.

And like a million other things, but mostly it was just handling the callout pretty poorly.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

She got kicked off of fanfiction.net for plagiarism because she was ripping off Buffy/Angel.

Wait what HOW?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FrozenVent posted:

Wait what HOW?

She was incorporating actual dialogue from the shows in her stories.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Isn’t that a fairly standard fan fiction practice?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FrozenVent posted:

Isn’t that a fairly standard fan fiction practice?

Not at the level she was doing it. It wasn't a catchphrase here and there, it was whole pages.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
O.k. The Cassandra Clare scandal in short:

Clare got in trouble for lifting huge chunks from Pamela Dean's The Hidden Land. Someone recognized the text and called her on it, and she grudgingly put in a small, vague disclaimer. But it prompted people to start going through her work looking for other things she'd taken from books, film, and t.v. with little or no credit; that list turned out to be pretty extensive. The whole thing blew up, Clare did a "you don't fire me, I quit" with fanfiction.net and tried to start her own fansite which didn't work. She wrapped up her Draco Vertias opus, and moved onto publishing where the plagiarism accusations came up again but got largely dismissed by anyone outside the fanfic world.

The thing is borrowing lines and setups from other popular works was pretty common in that era of fanfiction, as was failing to be thorough with your disclaimers. A lot of people just didn't see it as all that important because no one was making any money and it just didn't seem necessary when it's a big property that everyone knows and loves. Clare was operating in a gray area and ended up getting busted because, not only was she a big name with a very popular work, but she got called out for stealing from a relatively obscure book that was out of print and people couldn't just excuse that the way they could with more popular stuff like Buffy.

I think Clare was a bit of a scapegoat on the issue of crediting stuff in fanfiction, but she also managed to land herself an actual writing career based on the popularity of a half-stolen work. I know they cleaned it up for publishing, but I don't care. Clare did something lovely that everyone was doing and still reaped a huge reward for it so gently caress her.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Cassandra Clare's writing is also stuck in the early -mid 00's fanfic style and she will never grow out of it. She sticks with fantasy genre stuff because that is pretty much her entire frame of reference. It's okay for YA but she's really kind of a boring writer to read if you're not into YA, self insert lead characters, and/or her projected Harry Potter fandom baggage. Just watch the ultra cheesy tv show of her books instead.

At this point the only reason I even remember her plagiarism thing is because she was (and maybe still is) a huge internet drama queen and I have always loved dumb internet drama.

Tulalip Tulips has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Dec 16, 2017

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

At this point the only reason I even remember her plagiarism thing is because she was (and maybe still is) a huge internet drama queen and I have always loved dumb internet drama.

Honestly that whole era of Harry Potter fandom produced some of the most entertaining/horrifying insane bullshit. Sure, there's still bizarre drama, but the like of Thanfiction has not come again.

quote:

Andrew Blake is an accused scam artist and alleged cult-leader who's been unleashing his intense, often expensive spiritual guidance on unsuspecting fans for over a decade.
Andrew Blake was born Amy Player [2]. In the heyday of Lord of the Rings fandom, this charismatic fan was the center of a tiny group of friends who lived together as a dysfunctional mini-cult formed around Blake's belief that he could contact and connect with spirits from alternate realities. He was a multiple, or plural--someone who believes they can channel alternate fictional personas, a bit like the practice of recalling past lives.[3]

Sometimes the personas were fictional, like the female alter-ego known as "Victoria Bitter." Sometimes the personas were the imagined alter-egos of real people, such as "Jordan Wood," supposedly an alter-ego of the actual Hollywood actor Elijah Wood. As Jordan Wood, Blake claimed to be able to speak the language of Hobbits and communicate with characters from J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth, which supposedly existed in an alternate dimension. Or so he compelled his rapt circle of friends and admirers to believe.

"Jordan Wood" was Blake's primary identity when he decided to organize a fan convention [4] and tell everyone that Viggo Mortensen and Elijah Wood would be attending to raise money for charity. In the disaster that followed,[5] Blake allegedly scammed his fellow fans out of thousands of dollars, and duped three Lord of the Rings actors into coming to California for a convention that never happened, where they wound up having to awkwardly couch-crash as "Jordan"'s friends realized that he'd defrauded them. An even greater shock came when online fans realized that "Jordan" and "Victoria" were the same person: Victoria had supposedly committed suicide on the fan forum months before.

One of the fraud victims wrote a hilarious and jaw-droppingly bizarre account of her experiences: When a Fan Hits the poo poo.

Blake (as Amy Player) was subsequently fined for fraud in Oregon, [6] but returned to fandom a few years later as Andrew Blake, the LiveJournal user "thanfiction." Thanfiction grew—what else?—-a devoted cult of fan followers [7] around his popular fanfic Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness. He held a fan meetup for himself,[8] and claimed various fictional identities, all while allegedly suffering from a strangely non-terminal terminal illness.

All of this is fun and games—like the part where he claimed to have lost "a son" in a fierce custody battle who turned out to be a bird — but it gets more disturbing when you learn that among the members of his early cultish household was a young teenage girl living unsupervised with Blake with the blessing of her blissfully ignorant parents. And in 2011, things took a horrific turn when Blake was involved [9] in events leading up to a double murder-suicide, [10] when the husband of a fan he had been rooming with shot and killed his wife and a fellow roommate before turning the gun on himself. Blake was shot in the ankle, and survived by hiding in the closet.

Last week, Blake once again made waves in fandom by arriving on Tumblr, [11] allegedly claiming to be "a vessel"[12] for the Supernatural character Castiel — exactly as he did ten years ago when he channeled the spirits of Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, and other Lord of the Rings actors and characters. [13]

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's funny how Harry Potter/Twilight are these ur-series that have in turn inspired so much fan fiction that some of that fan fiction has become multi-million-dollar franchises as well.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Brass Key posted:

Honestly that whole era of Harry Potter fandom produced some of the most entertaining/horrifying insane bullshit. Sure, there's still bizarre drama, but the like of Thanfiction has not come again.

Better or worse than Yud's bloated ode to the very rational idea that the AI gods are coming and we need to give him money to make sure they're nice.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Rough Lobster posted:

It's funny how Harry Potter/Twilight are these ur-series that have in turn inspired so much fan fiction that some of that fan fiction has become multi-million-dollar franchises as well.

Honestly I find it loving depressing. There are legit, undiscovered good authors out there who are killing themselves just to get published, but hacks like EL James can write their terrible bullshit fanfiction and make zillions from it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brass Key posted:

The rest of it aside, Victoria Bitter is a fantastic alias.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brass Key posted:

Blake is still around. Think the latest I’d heard was that he raped some people. While pretending to be fictional children. Yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiggum posted:

The rest of it aside, Victoria Bitter is a fantastic alias.

Is it the joke that that's almost the name of an Australian beer brand, I think?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I like horror movies, especially Japanese ones. I decided to see if Japanese horror books are just as good.

Folks. Japanese horror books are gross.

I don’t know how much people want to puke while reading this thread so I’m not sure how many highlights to post but I will say the latest book I read had a heroine who was genetically modified to have super nutritious flesh that rapidly healed. She was a cure for the starvation crisis! She goes on a bit of a rampage though and murders guys by forcing them to eat her butt until they choke to death.

That was from the tamest of the books I read. By far. Japanese horror books are gross.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Junji Ito is the only good Japanese horror author, and really his poo poo revolves around 1 or 2 really disturbing images he wants to build a story around.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Getsuya posted:

She goes on a bit of a rampage though and murders guys by forcing them to eat her butt until they choke to death.

That was from the tamest of the books I read. By far. Japanese horror books are gross.

Are you sure this book wasn't erotica

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
Are you sure it was a book and not a game called Sweet Pool?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Junji Ito is the only good Japanese horror author, and really his poo poo revolves around 1 or 2 really disturbing images he wants to build a story around.

That appears to be the gold standard for Japanese horror because every book I’ve read in the genre is a series of over the top grotesque scenes connected less by a ‘plot’ and more by an excuse for those things to happen.

Edit: if you’re a fan of 90s anime movies you may recognize the name Darkside Blues, which shares setting and characters as the book with the edible lady.

Getsuya has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Dec 17, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Ring series of books (Ring, Spiral, Loop by Koji Suzuki) are completely insane (I tried to do a let's read but burned out a few years ago) in the best way though. She is not only the anger of the murdered Sadako, but the smallpox virus's rage at being wiped out by modern medicine. She ends the second book by implanting her psychic images onto a movie made about her story, (starring her and playing the original video as a prop), website, the videotape itself, videogame she invades all media to transmit her literal Ring Virus to her victims. The creative types get the urge to replicate her video in their own works to spread her disease, and any woman exposed to it while ovulating gets a mutation of the virus that makes them accelerated-voodoo-pregnant with Sadako herself, but she doesn't look like herself anymore because the body is based on her perception of herself and people have imperfect recall of their own features so she got some bits a bit wrong, and due to being a hermaphrodite, bribes the hero into letting her continue spreading by offering to use his late son's DNA to rebirth him using her body.

I mention a virus, she is a literal biological virus that implants itself when the tape is watched. The normal version is ring shaped (with a little nobble like the diamond on a wedding ring), and the mutation is broken where the setting for the ring goes, so it resembles a spermatozoa.

It's nuts, but totally internally consistent and hilarious - I laughed so hard reading the later books.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Dec 17, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BioEnchanted posted:

The Ring series of books (Ring, Spiral, Loop by Koji Suzuki) are completely insane (I tried to do a let's read but burned out a few years ago) in the best way though. She is not only the anger of the murdered Sadako, but the smallpox virus's rage at being wiped out by modern medicine. She ends the second book by implanting her psychic images onto a movie made about her story, (starring her and playing the original video as a prop), website, the videotape itself, videogame she invades all media to transmit her literal Ring Virus to her victims. The creative types get the urge to replicate her video in their own works to spread her disease, and any woman exposed to it while ovulating gets a mutation of the virus that makes them accelerated-voodoo-pregnant with Sadako herself, but she doesn't look like herself anymore because the body is based on her perception of herself and people have imperfect recall of their own features so she got some bits a bit wrong, and due to being a hermaphrodite, bribes the hero into letting her continue spreading by offering to use his late son's DNA to rebirth him using her body.

I mention a virus, she is a literal biological virus that implants itself when the tape is watched. The normal version is ring shaped (with a little nobble like the diamond on a wedding ring), and the mutation is broken where the setting for the ring goes, so it resembles a spermatozoa.

It's nuts, but totally internally consistent and hilarious - I laughed so hard reading the later books.

I have so many questions, but I want none of them answered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VanSandman posted:

That sounds like probably where most horror stories get their start.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BioEnchanted posted:

Doesn't it also end up having a simulated reality or something?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is it the joke that that's almost the name of an Australian beer brand, I think?

It's exactly the name of an Australian beer brand (though it's usually referred to as "VB").

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Doesn't it also end up having a simulated reality or something?

Yup, in the third book the first two books are revealed to have taken place In a computer simulation that was designed to simulate the big bang, but ended up mirroring reality so perfectly it was used for other purposes, from sociology to history studies, until Sadako was murdered. She was a triple barrelled threat - Ghost, Smallpox Virus and Computer virus all in one, eventually took over all of that reality causing the simulation to fail as all life simply became her and stalled permanently.

They imply hope that the tragedy can be prevented: The main character of the third book is actually Ryuji from the first two, in the first two he agreed to work with Sadako after his death (while also being a Rage Ghost due to his own unclean death) because she promised him she would birth him back to life the same was she did for the main character's son, but also in the split second before his death he had somehow realised that he was in a simulation and begged for help in his final moments, and his life split from there. Someone outside the sim sees the message and helps him by printing out the binary code that was Ryuji, translating it into the GTAC dna code and synthesising Ryuji's DNA in the real world - when the main character of the third book, who had a different life than first-two-books Ryuji, grows up into his adult form and learns what happened he determines that his old self was a poo poo, and has himself transplanted back into the simulation - reversing the process, converting the DNA back to binary and get's put straight into Sadako's womb for his rebirth, overwriting the old Reborn Sadako Clone Ryuji with a version who will fight Sadako instead of aiding her.

This all really happens and it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

That sounds... even nuttier than Parasite Eve. I didn't think that was possible.

So it's right up my alley!