Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tiggum posted:

I also haven't read any of these since I was a teenager, but I remember the original trilogy Dragons of Autumn Twilight/Winter Night/Spring Dawning being OK. The rest were definitely bad though.

If anything, I'd say the later ones (War of Souls series) were better, but that's not a high bar to set.

I read the original for the first time in high school, and then probably once or twice more between end of high school and end of college.

I read them once as a "real" adult a few years out of college...once. Horrible. They were written based off of running the author's characters through an actual campaign of adventures designed to "kick off" the Dragonlance world for D&D and it shows. All the characters just move from set-piece to set-piece with very little reason why. Random things happening that, to the average D&D player/writer are,

"OMG, so cool!"

I mean, the unicorn princess in the forest who gives them Pegasuses to ride, a man with a gemstone in his chest who ends up being the "Deus Ex Machina" just because, a Mary Sue character that reeks of someone trying to make a "bad-rear end" character (see, he has, like, gold skin! And his eyes are hourglass shaped because they see how time ages everything! He's dark and brooding and no one understands him!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SirPhoebos posted:

[*]The Jedi Academy series, in which the term "Mary Sue" accurately describes a spaceship.

Oh man, that's the Suncrusher one, right? Christ, that was absurd. It's the kind of spaceship a 10 year old would doodle in the margins of his math textbook and then try to describe to his friends.

"Oh man, this ship is, like, totally bad-rear end. But it doesn't look bad-rear end, which is why it's so cool! Everyone underestimates it! But it's armor is space-diamonds, so it can just fly through other ships to destroy them! And it has missiles that makes suns explode!"