Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

One Deadly Sister by Rod Hoisington has characters who all sound exactly the same, all the time. Almost any bit of dialogue taken from anywhere in the book could be any character, there's no way to tell. The protagonist is supposedly really charismatic, but since all the characters sound exactly the same the only way you know this is because the book repeatedly tells you she is. And that's before you even get to the plot, which is utterly unbelievable, and frequently goes off on tangents that lead nowhere. And apparently it's the start of a whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I haven't read a lot of truly terrible books because I tend to drop them as soon as I realize they're bullshit, but when I was a teen I read some awful stuff:

The Dragonlance Series
I also haven't read any of these since I was a teenager, but I remember the original trilogy Dragons of Autumn Twilight/Winter Night/Spring Dawning being OK. The rest were definitely bad though.

mycot posted:

Huh, the timing of this thread matches up with the Steam thread in Games discovering the Doom novelizations (yes, they exist).
Another I haven't read since I was a teenager, and again I remember the first one actually being OK. And sticking mostly to the actual plot of the game (ie. the demons are demons, protagonist is fighting his way through the Phobos base, etc.). The second book really goes off the rails though and the series just gets weirder and dumber as it progresses.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Psycho Squad: Execution Night

JJ Santiago is my favourite. :allears:

(JJ Santiago is hardly even in the book, for obvious reasons)

quote:

Meet Jack Flint

Flint hurdled a table and tackled Dr. Blood. They slammed against the kitchen stove as they battled for control of the gun.

Dr. Blood's free hand tore at Flint's face, narrowly missing his eyes. Flint smashed Blood's other hand against the top of the stove, but Blood wouldn't let go of the gun.

Flint tried a different tactic. He held Blood's hand down on one of the burners and turned the flame on full.

There was the smell of burning hair and then burning flesh. Blood screamed and dropped the gun.

reality_groove posted:

I know it's popular and optioned and everything but Ready Player One was physically painful to get through. The protagonist is the geekiest geek of all geekdom, gets super buff, gets an online girlfriend, repeatedly outsmarts an entire corporation of evil murderers and wins the world by having an 'on the spectrum' dedication to rewatching 80s movies and TV shows. All while making frequent terrible references to pop culture. Adamantium! Godzilla! TIE fighters!
I got this as part of some ebook bundle and couldn't get through it, then later found out that it's supposed to be really popular. I'm still not convinced that the people who say they like it aren't pulling some kind of elaborate prank, because really?

This, on the other hand, I kind of want to read. Not for the $5.37 they want for the Kindle version on Amazon though. Maybe if it were $2 or less...

NLJP posted:

edit2: Ah I forgot The Dresden Files: "Urban Magician" Harry Dresden Private Eye etc. is too cool for all of your bullshit. Dames, trenchcoat gets into the establishment's face, scrapes through each situation in banter and blood, general fuckup but only so that he can shrug through it all but actually he's really miserable and man just awful all around. A pastiche of a noir sleuth meets Die Hard and magic. I got through three books of this now 15 book series for some reason (people told me that's when it gets good I think). Now all this might sound ok again as a dumb escapist fantasy (which, yeah, got no problem with that kind of thing) if it wasn't so miserably badly written.
I've never read the books, but I liked the TV show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

All the Sword of Truth I read was at a young enough age that I did not note the libertarian subtext at all.

I read the first one as a teenager and wouldn't have known what libertarianism was to be able to spot it, but there was enough else to put me off the rest of the series.

Another one I read about the same time was Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson, the first book of the Thomas Covenant series. The main gimmick of the series is that the protagonist is transported from the real world to a magical world, and doesn't believe any of it is actually really happening. He goes along with it anyway though because reasons. Also he has leprosy in the real world but not in magic-land and not having leprosy somehow makes him rape a woman he meets there.

For some reason, both those books were in my highschool's library. I doubt whoever decided which books the library would buy ever read them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

- A guy comes along claiming to be the son of Emperor Palpatine. He has three eyes. His name is "Trioculus"; this is a word meaning "three eyes." As proof of his ancestry, he produces a glove that he claims to be the glove of Darth Vader. He is able to use this glove to choke people at a distance, and, you see, the glove is what allowed Darth Vader to do that in the movies, and only a son of Emperor Palpatine could use it (I guess Darth Vader was also a son of Emperor Palpatine?). Trioculus wants to marry Princess Leia (as a Main Villain in an '80s kids book/cartoon he is contractually obligated to want this); when she proves less than amenable to this idea, he instead marries a robot replica of Princess Leia. It kills him. At the robot wedding.
- At some point it is revealed that Trioculus isn't actually the son of Emperor Palpatine. Another guy is. This guy also has three eyes. His name is "Triclops"; this is a word meaning "three eyes."
- The main character of the series is a kid named Ken. He is a kid Just Like You, who grows up in a room full of Star Wars memorabilia and like C3PO action figures or whatever, only his room is in an underground city on Yavin IV (the Lost City of the Jedi!!!!) where he was raised by robots and has no human contact before being discovered partway through book 2. The robots give him "lessons" that consist entirely of Star Wars trivia.
- All the Grand Moffs fly around on a ship together. That ship is called the Moffship. On the Moffship they have conferences. Those conferences are called Mofferences.
- There is a character named Zorba the Hutt; he looks like Jabba the Hutt except he has a full human-style beard
- Han and Leia build their dream house (a Cloud House, on Bespin) and have a housewarming party. Later they attempt to elope to a theme park, called Hologram Fun World. In the end they decide not to elope and make a big production out of planning their REAL wedding. These are subplots in a Star Wars book.
I think you're in the wrong thread, this one is for terrible books.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Ah, Heinlein. The only book of his I ever attempted was Stranger In A Strange Land. The setup was interesting and I actually hung with it until. Until.

There's a scene where he's having sex with... whoever, and in the throes of passion she cries out, "Thou art God!"

Aaaaannnd that's where I gave up in disgust. According to a friend of mine who read the whole thing, I picked a good place to stop.

And that might be one of his better ones. I think it's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress in which the protagonist concludes that having sex with your teenage cousin is totally fine and it's just cultural hangups about incest and paedophilia that made him think it was bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

How does one manage to get paid to write this sort of garbage? There are millions of these books written by people you've never heard of, all containing basically the same, mostly useless content mixed with terrible jokes. Do publishing companies just pay some random employee a nominal fee to put an updated version together every few years or what?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just read an excellent terrible book. It's called Americosis volume 1: The Savior Cometh and it's by Haydn Wilks. I posted a full review of it on Goodreads but I'll just quote some of my favourite passages from the book here to give you an idea of what it's like. All typos etc. as in the actual text.

quote:

as Maybelline got closer, she became aware he was fully naked, and she noticed his penis, an improbably long protrusion, stretching down almost to his kneecap
Maybelline (whose sister's name is Loreal) brings this naked man back to her place.

quote:

"What year is this? he demands, his voice military-precise.

She stares at him, startled. Silence hangs as heavy and impotent as his monstrous dick.
I don't think Wilks knows what "impotent" means though, because

quote:

She rose from her seat and moved her hand to that big dick of his, which proceeded to grow even larger.

"You could always stop the night. America'll still need saving tomorrow."

He looked at her with submissive eyes. She smiled and dropped to her knees, then spread her lips and slid his giant penis into her mouth.

She sucked and licked and rubbed and pumped, sucking for the future, sucking America's savior.

quote:

The car chugged through traffic enough that John was brought level with the river. The Hudson. The skyscraper-lined natural feature that one of humanity's greatest artifices has been constructed around.

quote:

Now it was the edge of his world. Manhattan. He'd made the inner-circle. The central island. The pumping heart of global commerce, he a schmoozing, blustering capillary.

quote:

"The internet, John," the Wolf sighed. "The internet gives a poo poo."

quote:

"their manager done lied to the television network and said they could speak English good."

quote:

"Well my employer will be staying as a hotel a few blocks from here. The Four Seasons. Perhaps you've heard of it?"

quote:

The blonde smiled again. "Dr. Fitzkoff, I think America may be the only country on Earth where our most eminent scientists and healthcare professional are blessed with the good looks of Hollywood movie stars. But even in such an environment, you are a stand out, if you don't mind me saying. We showed our employer the headshots of several of New York's best-known clinical psychiatrists, and the moment he saw yours, he became quite smitten."

Erica tried to stop herself blushing, as her lips pursed into a smile. Her inner goddess wanted to take offence, to lash out at the reduction of her credentials to how good she looked in a photograph, but the fact was the compliment had come from someone important enough to have well-mannered blonde guys in good suits running around making appointments for him.

quote:

After the blonde had left, Erica thought back over the small slither of information he'd let slip regarding his employer: one of the two most important men in America. Erica wondered who that could be: perhaps Jay-Z or Kanye West? LeBron James or Floyd Mayweather? Robert Downey Jr. or Dwayne Johnson?

quote:

"Your concept of 'years' is based on the passing of four seasons. I am from a time when seasons have ceased to exist."

Also there are dinosaurs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

flosofl posted:

You realize you're going to have to do a Let's Read of this when it's done, right?

If I even remember it by then. Who knows how many volumes it'll end up with or how long it'll take for them to come out?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just tried reading Netherwood by Michele Lang and the first chapter was definitely so bad it's good, but unfortunately the second chapter was just dumb and boring, so I gave up. That first chapter is pretty amazing though.

quote:

I hid a smile as I strode forward, feeling the glint of the hot cybersunlight on my bare scalp, along my long, muscle-packed thighs. The last time I'd come here, I'd been in search of a connection; this time, I hunted an outlaw. I'm a sheriff, Talia Fortune by name, and tracking down and deactivating lawbreakers is my job.

The Amphitheatre was a locale, an entrance to a virtual sub-plane of existence that people called different names, a reality whose very ambiguity was one of its charms: the Netherwood

The Netherwood started out as an ordinary virtual landscape, founded by a gaming guru, Geoff Provocateur, about twenty years before I entered the Amphitheatre as the warrior queen Amazonia. But the Netherwood unraveled [sic] pretty quickly, with gambling, cybersex, synthtrading, hacking, and computer sabotage becoming the entertainments of choice. Under the cover of the "games" - the virtual arena matches - in the Amphitheatre, illegal and dastardly acts were committed on a regular basis. And crime was my drug. I was sworn to smell it out and obliterate it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerome Agricola posted:

How? I fall asleep to books on a weekly basis. Even really good books. Do you not read a lot or are you some super-human non-dozer.

Before I was tired enough to just fall asleep like that, I'd be too tired to concentrate on the book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat who doesn't like Bartimaeus or Discworld or Infinite Jest or I could go on

I like Discworld, but the footnotes are pretty annoying. In most cases they could just go in the main text or in brackets and be far less disruptive. I feel like a lot of them are just there because they became a sort of trademark style, so he felt he needed to include them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thinky Whale posted:

Seriously, what the hell was with Heinlein and incest?

I don't know this to be true, but I think he actually believed that everyone secretly agreed that incest is fine, it was just some cultural taboo that kept us from saying it. It's a common thing in his books that someone reveals that they're OK with incest and everyone else is shocked at first but then realises that there's actually nothing wrong with it, and I think that's what he thought would or should happen in real life.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

lenoon posted:

Don't Jubal and Valentine get it on in SiaSL? I feel like Valentine at least doesn't make any distinction between homosexual and heterosexual sex.
Jubal has sex with Jill I think, and there's a psychic connection so Valentine and all of his followers experience it as well? Something like that.

Thinky Whale posted:

And the part early on where all Jubal's secretaries line up so Valentine can kiss then all in turn, and he asks about kissing guys too, and they say nah, don't do that, it's weird.
Not just weird, homosexuality is basically explained as a mental illness, or like "there's something wrong with some people that makes them gay".

lenoon posted:

I've only ever really liked Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and even that has an extremely tedious self-insert libertarian character in it.
It's a decent story apart from the really Heinlein-y bits. Like, you're reading about this revolutionary movement coming together and making plans and then out of nowhere it's like "Oh by the way, incest is totally cool."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

The Conrad Stargard Series: a Polish engineer(there's a trend here) gets involuntarily time-travelled back to 13th century Poland, ten years before the Mongol hordes invade. It's up to him to basically jumpstart the industrial revolution, and, through a series of amazing lucky breaks, manages to basically become the most powerful person of the Middle Ages. Has some cool set-pieces but the protagonist is more or less infallible, and as it turns out the guy who owned the time machine feels Really Bad and is also his cousin so he sends him all sorts of ridiculous-rear end plot devices to help him on his quest to gently caress every girl in the 1280s and completely win this real-life game of Civ 4. Falls apart really loving hard after the Mongols are defeated.

So, he just rewrote A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

malal posted:

As for Stephen King and the Dark Tower, you really owe it to yourself to read it.
Nah. The first book's worth reading, but just pretend he never wrote any more. Or at the very least, skip Wizard and Glass. There is no reason anyone should ever read Wizard and Glass.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Telemaze posted:

I can't believe it has 4/5 stars on Goodreads. Legit Christian romance readers must have really, really low standards.
Goodreads ratings tend to be high for almost everything. I think it's a combination of three factors:
  1. Authors get their friends to rate their books, and give free copies away in exchange for reviews so people then feel obliged to not be too mean.
  2. People tend to read the sort of books they know they like, so the majority of readers of any particular book are people who got exactly what they were expecting and wanted, so of course they rate it highly.
  3. People who really don't like a book often won't finish it and a lot of people won't rate a book they didn't finish, and those who didn't find it bad enough to stop reading often won't feel strongly enough about it to bother rating it.
I think they try to counter that by having the only actually negative rating be 1 star, so if you don't like a book you should be giving it that, but I don't think it works because people just use their own personal definitions for rating scales most of the time anyway. Goodreads says 3 stars means "I liked it" but it's the middle value so a lot of people are going to use it to mean "I didn't hate it".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Carnival of Shrews posted:

quote:

She looked as though she had just emerged from a week-long orgy with a gang of hard rockers.
What does that even mean?

quote:

childlike breasts
:psyduck:

quote:

Her extreme slenderness would have made a career in modelling impossible
Yeah, 'cause if there's one thing everyone knows about models, it's that they're never thin.

spite house posted:

A bunch of seventh-graders proooobably shouldn't have been reading about 80% of what we were reading.
It's so weird to me to hear about these sort of books being passed around like contraband, because I got my Anne Rice, Robert Heinlein, etc. from the school library.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that bugged me about Timeline was that it seemed like he kept forgetting it wasn't actually time travel.

Ryoshi posted:

It's even worse than that because the characters keep insisting its not actual time travel while completely ignoring that literally none of the plot makes any kind of sense if it's not.

That's not even the worst part. The worst part is when he explains how the time travel actually works, because not only is it not actually time travel, it doesn't do what the characters say they want it to do either. The whole thing is based on the idea that there are infinite universes splitting off from every point in time, so in some universe, anything that's possible is happening. So in some parallel universe, the present is exactly like our universe was at some arbitrary point in the past. So far so good.

The big problem arises from the fact that they don't actually have the technology to travel between universes. They've got the transmission down, and they can look into other universes, but they have no way to reconstruct you on over there when you arrive. But there is some parallel universe where it's exactly like our universe was in the past except that you just suddenly appeared out of nowhere, so if they look at that universe it seems like you were transmitted there and reconstructed.

What they're actually doing is disintegrating people and then hoping the universe spontaneously recreates them later. For every universe where that actually happens, there are infinitely many more universes where it doesn't. The only reason the plot doesn't end with all the characters just vanishing never to be seen again is because we're looking at one of the minority of universes where that didn't happen. And nothing anyone does has any meaning because everything that could have happened did happen in some alternate universe and we're just looking at one arbitrarily chosen universe.

I'm probably getting some of that wrong, but it was all at least that nonsensical.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I haven't read any of his Dune books, but I have read a couple of Kevin J Anderson's original works. Alternitech was inoffensive - a somewhat neat idea that never really goes anywhere - but Hopscotch was definitely bad. Not as bad as those Dune books sound, but still, I never finished it. It's been a while so I may have some details wrong, but here goes.

The premise is that at some point in the future, people just spontaneously develop the ability to switch bodies with each other (which they call "hopscotching" for some reason). Rather than coming up with some technobabble explanation or leaving it as some unexplained future technology, Anderson explicitly states that it's a thing that just happened out of nowhere. You'd think that would be the sort of mystery the book might focus on, but it doesn't. In fact, the book doesn't really focus on anything.

One character joins a cult where they just switch bodies with each other all the time. The cult leader gets really obsessed with her for some reason and she eventually runs away, but can't get her original body back because someone else ran away with it, so she's stuck in someone else's body permanently.

Another character takes a job where he switches into his boss's body and exercises for him so the guy can basically get the benefits of that without spending the time. But on top of that, and unknown to him, the boss is also using his body to take a bunch of drugs and has already basically killed several people who had the job before. It takes a stupidly long time for him to catch on to this.

There's also a character who can't body swap, which basically makes him a bitter social outcast (even though there are other people who also can't or won't do it), and there's no real plot progression at all. Also they're all orphans, but that's not really relevant to anything as far as I could tell. There's enough there to make an interesting setup for at least three different books, but it just meanders along with nothing really happening at all.

This was also an issue with Alternitech, in which the story never really goes much beyond establishing the premise, but at least Alternitech was short. It left you with the feeling that, had it been longer, it would have done more (although the truth is that it probably wouldn't). This book is much, much longer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I had thought that this had been posted already, but I guess not. Well, better late than never. My all-time favorite terrible book:

I kind of want to read this, but I'm not sure it would stay as funny for the length of an entire book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This isn't 100% on topic but it is related, and it was too good not to share:

When Dickens met Dostoevsky by Eric Naiman.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr Toes posted:

Good gods; Wheel of Time - I'd forgotten about that series. I think I gave up at book 8 or 9 after realising that I could not give two hoots whether or not the whole cast lived or died. They were all so irritating in their own unique ways

Unique ways? There are only three or four character templates in the entire series.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tracula posted:

It's just bizarre to me to read that when there's literally a book in the original trilogy called Second Foundation while now apparently there's another trilogy referred to as the Second Foundation Trilogy which I'm guessing doesn't actually have anything to do with said Second Foundation :confused:

It's also confusing, because you'd think the second trilogy would directly follow the first trilogy, but actually Asimov wrote seven books in total, including two prequels.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

canis minor posted:

Terry Pratchett book covers

In this case - Wyrd Sisters

I hate those covers so much.

Terry Pratchett posted:

Now, there is a tendency at a point like this to look over one’s shoulder at the cover artist and start going on at length about leather, tight boots and naked blades. Words like ‘full’, ‘round’ and even ‘pert’ creep into the narrative, until the writer has to go and have a cold shower and a lie down. Which is all rather silly, because any woman setting out to make a living by the sword isn’t about to go around looking like something off the cover of the more advanced kind of lingerie catalogue for the specialized buyer.

Oh well, all right. The point that must be made is that although Herrena the Henna-Haired Harridan would look quite stunning after a good bath, a heavy-duty manicure, and the pick of the leather racks in Woo Hun Ling’s Oriental Exotica and Martial Aids on Heroes Street, she was currently quite sensibly dressed in light chain mail, soft boots, and a short sword.

Terry Pratchett posted:

Look at him. Scrawny, like most wizard, and clad in a dark red robe on which a few mystic sigils were embroidered in tarnished sequins. Some might have taken him for a mere apprentice enchanter who had run away from his master out of defiance, boredom, fear and a lingering taste for heterosexuality. Yet around his neck was a chain bearing the bronze octagon that marked him as an alumnus of Unseen University

And that's before you even get into less objective stuff like everyone being yellow and malformed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I always assumed that was Bethan on the cover
She seems a bit too well-armed and aggressive to be Bethan, but even if she is she's still wrong.

Terry Pratchett posted:

As the druids spread out around a great flat stone that dominated the centre of the circle he couldn't help noticing the attractive if rather pale young lady in their midst. She wore a long white robe, a gold torc around her neck, and an expression of vague apprehension.

And while I'm at it, here's Cohen:

Terry Pratchett posted:

By the light of the torches he saw that it was a very old man, the skinny variety that generally gets called 'spry', with a totally bald head, a beard almost down to his knees, and a pair of matchstick legs on which varicose veins had traced the street map of quite a large city. Despite the snow he wore nothing more than a studded leather holdall and a pair of boots that could have easily accommodated a second pair of feet.
Bald with a long beard. Not the exact opposite of that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know the general opinion but of the Discworld series I really liked the Moist Von Lipwig series, due to them being Vetinari realising just how badly Ankhmorpork is being held back by lovely infrastructure, and ordering Moist to fix it. Then some backwater kid invents a train and he's like ":stare: I gotta get in on that..."

I liked Going Postal a lot and Making Money was decent, but Raising Steam was pretty much garbage. Nothing much happened and it wasn't funny. I felt like several of his later Discworld books seemed like they were written out of obligation or something, like he was out of decent Discworld ideas but just kept adding to the series anyway. Nation and Dodger were way better than any of the Discworld books that came out after about 2005.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

So.....you literally judged a book by its cover?

Despite the popular expression, it's actually a pretty reasonable thing to do. Book covers are designed to give an idea of the contents and appeal to the audience the publisher thinks is likely to want to read them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"She shuffled her bottom sinuously as a goading carrot" is a phrase that defies both imagination and explanation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

kreyla posted:

Ready Player One is a critique of nerds

What?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I can't remember if I've bitched about this before in this thread but nothing ruins an otherwise-decent scifi book for me more than the author's dick just slapping itself all over the page. It's not even that egregious, it's just something that annoys me to no end. I tried to read the Uplift trilogy and then the first time a woman appears, on like page four or something, the book immediately drools all over the swimsuit she's wearing like, gently caress offffff
A man and a woman entered the room. The woman had long, blonde hair, piercing blue eyes, and lips the colour of blood. A tight blouse and skinny jeans showed off her slim figure. She seemed confident on the surface, but John Protagonist could sense the vulnerability underneath. She smiled, showing off her dazzlingly white teeth, and brushed a strand of hair from her face. The guy wore a suit.

outlier posted:

It's a fault with genre fiction generally, where strange foibles and fetishes are ignored or even expected by fans, who will defend prosaic writing with "oh but the characters are interesting" or "the world is so fascinating" or even worse "but the story has potential". Fans of genre - be it SF, horror or crime - want the literary equivalent of comfort food. I once heard it described as "commodity fiction", it's like bread, they're going to buy it anyway.
FTFY.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's not "genre fiction" that's bad, it's bad fiction that's bad. Some of it is "genre fiction", some of it isn't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My review.

back cover posted:

Ex-cop Jake Cardigan has come back to Earth bent on revenge. Someone framed him for dealing Tek, the ultimate computerised drug.

page 261 posted:

Silent images of the funeral of a public official showed on the huge screen. A black skyhearse circling a sun-bright slanting hillside cemetary, six ebony robots carrying a black coffin, a gaunt old woman, sobbing, being supported and comforted by a gleaming silvery priestbot.

Everything has dumb sci-fi names like "plas-whatever" but the story could easily be set n the '80s. You'd basically just have to do a find/replace to get rid of the dumb jargon and that would be it. Also half the characters are Mexican and pepper their dialogue with basic Spanish words. In one randomly selected page I spotted two "amigo"s, "cabeza" and "nada". But all the dialogue is pretty much terrible even without that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A Minor Case of Murder: A Cassie O'Malley Mystery (Cassie O'Malley #1) by Jeff Markowitz

quote:

He was a good-looking gentleman in his thirties, handsome in a way no longer fashionable, not health-club handsome, not rock-star handsome, but Eisenhower-era handsome, Pillsbury-doughboy handsome, his hair cut by a barber rather than a stylist, his suit purchased at a discount warehouse.

quote:

Madame Alexina began to tease the bowling ball, tracing little circles around the finger holes. The shell was becoming steadily more translucent, the interior less dark, more liquid. Hesitantly, Madame Alexina slid her fingertips ever so slightly into the holes and, emboldened by the lack of resistance, began to probe ever more deeply and vigorously. ... As Madame Alexina’s pace quickened and her fingers grew more confident, the inky depths grew ever weaker, until, in a moment, the bowling ball surrendered itself—transparent, exposed, and vulnerable.

quote:

Still, as the daughter of a developer, herself a part-owner of Harbrough and Daughters, the conventional wisdom was that Doah would never elect a developer as mayor.

quote:

Mr. Caputo was fiercely neutral, took great pride in the fierceness of his neutrality

I only read 10% of it, and that's not even everything I highlighted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Just please tell me that the bowling ball in this story isn't sentient a la Lumiere or Cogsworth.

If it is, that wasn't apparent in the bit of the book that I read.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

McKilligan posted:

What the gently caress? Someone fingerbangs a magic bowling ball so hard it turns from opaque to transparent? Is that what I'm reading?

I wish I could tell you that I cut out some important context that makes those words mean anything else. But I can't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

divabot posted:

Feminazi bitches, amirite?
That's not so much a straw man as a pile of straw that he's just grabbing handfuls of, throwing them in the air and yelling "This is a feminist!"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

using a title that only British citizens can be awarded
Unless he was knighted in a different country, or just uses the title anyway despite not officially being allowed. Of all the criticisms to make, that one's pretty weak.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

That's not how umlauts works:argh:

I've got a great collection of triple-umlaut bands you should check out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wiggy Marie posted:

- Daemon and Jaenelle end up as a couple. They share a father, but it's OK because Jaenelle is his adopted daughter.
- said father is Saeten, who rules over Hell and the series' vampire stand-in, the demon-dead. He is extremely handsome. His sons, Saeton Daemon (goes by Daemon) and Lucivar (who has bat-like wings) are also extremely handsome. I know someone else already pointed out the naming scheme, but it's worth repeating for emphasis. One of the characters is named Surreal. Clever.

Not Surrael?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Side Effects posted:

So I found this in the free book share near my apartment. I think it might be the most Boston thing ever:

I'll post some quotes from it when I get home.

That's not a real book. The author's name is supposedly Lacey Noonan but on the back cover it says "Lazy Noonerz", and that same italicised sentence contains the word "sex" four times. I mean, "watch Gronk do his thang-thang in the zone place"? If it's not a photoshop it's a parody.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Sep 8, 2016