Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i've read self-published poo poo that is indescribably bad, but as far as stuff that came out through a real publisher, i'll say Terry DeHart's The Unit. it's got your basic "civilization has hit the fan, get the gently caress out of town with the family" thing going on, which is fine, but the author is clearly an ex-military prepper (the father is an obvious author stand-in) whose messages and themes are about as subtle as, say Red Dawn. the best part? the daughter, who is both a vegetarian and pacifist, is punished by the author for her non-violent ways by being kidnapped by a bunch of kids from a juvenile detention facility (who have assault rifles and coordinate ambushes wherein they massacre dozens of people) and raped on a schedule by the entire group. not only that, once dad eventually frees her, she gets shot and killed because she failed to learn the error of her pacifistic viewpoint. oh, and the son becomes some sort of Jesus-loving holy warrior.

James Wesley, Rawles (dunno wtf is up with that name) is pretty great/terrible for some apocalyptic tea party nightmare/wet dream anti-liberal poo poo, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

my favorite horrible self-published author is Anne Hart, whose titles include A Private Eye Called Mama Africa: What's an Egyptian Jewish Female Psycho-Sleuth Doing Fighting Hate Crimes in California?; Four Astronauts and a Kitten: A Mother and Daughter Astronaut Team, the Teen Twin Sons, and Patches, the Kitten: The Intergalactic Friendship Club; and Murder in the Women's Studies Department, which reminds me of The Room for some reason...

for some really hilarious right-wing "non-fiction," try reading the word salad that is Beyond O'Dark 30

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Evfedu posted:

or even up there with the best fantasy (Joe Abercrombie)

The First Law Trilogy is loving awful; i don't get why people get so hot-and-bothered for it.