Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I'm still hoping they DO dissapear with the money. Star Citizen is the best idea for a scam. If nothing else (the pricetags), that alone would have steered me away from spending money.

It walks like a scam and quacks like a scam. If it turns out to be a great crowdsourced piece of software... that's the less-likely scenario. Hats off to the people who bought spaceships to resell them at a markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
What video games are you fine fellows going to be playing in July?

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
I'm gonna play rocket league cuz its free and I heard from a cop it was good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Probably going to be playing Arkham Knight for a while. It's a Good Game™.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Rocket League, some Telltale back catalog, Captain Toad, might get to Witcher 3

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
In other console news, lets make an amiibo exclusive. Won't the pre-orders sell out and they will have none in stock?

Naw, lets have everyone line up on opening day like it's a console launch in the 90s

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/dark-pit-amiibo-available-july-31-only-at-best-buy/

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

dat one portagee posted:

I have been playing Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories on my PS2, as well as Splatoon on my Wii U. I am probably going to also play some DOOM 2 on 360 and I am thinking of starting something else but I am not sure what. Thank you for asking. :)

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Prolly gonna finish Witcher 3 (level 25 atm) -- I have been binging, then taking like a week break. Working pretty well.

Thinking about something TBS. Perhaps going through Invisible Inc or XCOM on a harder difficulty; may just play Final Fantasy Tactics patched with the WoTL translation. And/or Banner Saga.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Liberty city stories was good cheap fun. Nice bang for yer buck

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

dat one portagee posted:

the new free to play Magic: Origins which is supposed to be kind of like a Hearthstone model where you really actually can be competitive without spending much money (or spending none)

comes out in 2 weeks so i guess i should go ahead and make the thread since i made the last two DOTP threads

the cool part is that this year you don't have to put ANY money up front so even if it sucks, no loss.

i'm hoping this fact has made Wizards design it really well

hahahahahahahahahaha

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

the new free to play Magic: Origins which is supposed to be kind of like a Hearthstone model where you really actually can be competitive without spending much money (or spending none)

comes out in 2 weeks so i guess i should go ahead and make the thread since i made the last two DOTP threads

the cool part is that this year you don't have to put ANY money up front so even if it sucks, no loss.

i'm hoping this fact has made Wizards design it really well

hahahahahahahahahaha

Lmao at the idea of a Wizards game that's balanced.

As for games this month, i burnt myself out on a couple, so i'll be rotating through some pick up and play games like Age of Wonders and Chivalry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nasgate posted:

Lmao at the idea of a Wizards game that's balanced.

"Counterspell? loving OP, NERF THAT poo poo! Alright, now someone show me ten designs for Planeswalker cards that are so bugfuck insane they will break the game in half."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Shinjobi posted:

Liberty city stories was good cheap fun. Nice bang for yer buck

Honestly so far I think it's better than III.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

codenameFANGIO posted:

uh no

Vice City Stories, however, definitely is better than 3

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

codenameFANGIO posted:

On one hand it doesn't have armies of shotgun-toting gangsters that can blow up your car seconds, but on the other hand it has some of the grindiest side activities in the entire franchise. The car dealership where you have to do like 8 different extreme driving stunts and if you fail once or your car blows up you have to start all over again from scratch was some serious bullshit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

precision posted:

uh no

Vice City Stories, however, definitely is better than 3

Everything but the story, maybe. The Vances sucked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Currently playing
banner saga
alpha protocol
batman
dragonball
Ys
Gonna keep playing these games in july

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just beat shogun 2 total war for the first time. Oda have a rough start but they're stupid good once you get the ball rolling.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i still haven't had a game of This War Of Mine where nobody dies :\

in my current one though i have the whole "infinite food" cycle going on so fingers crossed!!!!

e: Pavle got shot in the back ten feet from the exit of the Warehouse :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After a while I assumed getting a happy ending in This War of Mine was completely impossible so I gave up. The game broke me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
real talk i assume a custom game where you pick Marko (the guy who builds things with less mats), Bruno (the good cook) and Katia (the good trader) you would probably just steamroll it. i mean you can even disable Winter and Raiders.

though i guess doing a Custom Story isn't the true TWOM experience at all

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I am presently enjoying the Fiesta on my Nvidia Shield at work. I feel like I should have more games on it but I have no idea what's fun on Android that isn't also a massive money sink, so I'm kinda sticking to emulation for now.

At home I've been playing Indie As gently caress Metroidvania Valdis Story since it got an update a month or two ago. It's a lot of fun and there's loads of content, but there's no I-frames when you get hit and some of the bosses can 100-0 me in a single combo. Later difficulty bosses are massive sacks of HP, but I paid :10bux: for the game and had more than my share of entertainment out of it, so I call it a safe buy.

Shantae's on my to-play list.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Nasgate posted:

Fact: Every game gets worse the later in it, because they're rushing to meet deadlines.
lol

Nasgate posted:

So if the first hour of a game is poo poo, you can easily assume the rest is garbage.
lol

Nasgate posted:

No, but i know QA testers generally do not play through the entire game. Neither do initial game reviewers. So a polished front end is both easier to have and more important for release sales.
lol

Nasgate posted:

please learn to think critically
LOL

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

dat one portagee posted:

New Vegas /w mods. Yay for a PC that's not poop on a stick.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I am presently enjoying the Fiesta on my Nvidia Shield at work. I feel like I should have more games on it but I have no idea what's fun on Android that isn't also a massive money sink, so I'm kinda sticking to emulation for now.

At home I've been playing Indie As gently caress Metroidvania Valdis Story since it got an update a month or two ago. It's a lot of fun and there's loads of content, but there's no I-frames when you get hit and some of the bosses can 100-0 me in a single combo. Later difficulty bosses are massive sacks of HP, but I paid :10bux: for the game and had more than my share of entertainment out of it, so I call it a safe buy.

Shantae's on my to-play list.

drat, I was going to pick up the portable version of the Shield but then the prices of the system got stupid high after Nvidia seemingly discontinued them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

program666 posted:

lol

lol

lol

LOL

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Currently playing
banner saga
alpha protocol
batman
dragonball
Ys
Gonna keep playing these games in july

How is banner saga, I got it on sale because i was in the mood for more story focused games. But that mood went away and i've yet to play it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nasgate posted:

How is banner saga, I got it on sale because i was in the mood for more story focused games. But that mood went away and i've yet to play it.

its good. its a nice take on tbs games. you have an armor and a strength stat and strength is your hp and attack power and your damage is absorbed by armor. you get to decide which stat to attack. you play as a race of giants and get dragged into human problems and everything is very melancholy.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Wamdoodle posted:

drat, I was going to pick up the portable version of the Shield but then the prices of the system got stupid high after Nvidia seemingly discontinued them.

I got the Tablet, actually. I could never get away with using a game controller at work, but a tablet with bluetooth keyboard/mouse is just professional enough that people assume it's part of the job.

Relatedly, anybody have any recommendations for Android games or Apps that are interesting? I sit at a desk for eight hours a day doing absolutely nothing, so I need some kind of activity to prevent myself from losing my mind from boredom.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nasgate posted:

i dunno, i played the first 5 minutes and didnt like it, and as all games get worse as they go on that was that for me imo

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'm going to be out of the country for a month starting next week so probably no gaming for me except 3DS stuff, have fun and remember that anime is bad

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anime is good especially on 3DS

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
GTA5 for me, and also Dark Souls 2 SotFS. I'm currently on Fume Knight in the latter, and I don't like it one bit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Someone in the last thread mentioned Sin and Punishment and that it apparently owned and I thought "Oh hey I have that game on the Wii VC and haven't played it yet" so I decided to start it up and honestly I'm not sure where the love for it comes from. It's cool and all, and actually looks and feels like an arcade game, but it has some wicked bad control problems. Maybe it's better on a N64 controller, but both Wii Classic and GameCube controllers aren't exactly the best to use with it, no matter what control scheme you set.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sin and Punishment was fun up until the final boss, which was utter bullshit even on Easy, like you can barely screw up at all. Never beat the game because of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
sin and punishment are cool

so is the game named sin and punishment :twisted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

Sin and Punishment was fun up until the final boss, which was utter bullshit even on Easy, like you can barely screw up at all. Never beat the game because of it.

The final boss is wicked easy, even on Normal. There are way harder bits of the game before that. It's almost impossible to keep all the projectiles from passing through, but if you keep moving around it's not too hard to shoot down the majority of them.

Mak0rz posted:

Someone in the last thread mentioned Sin and Punishment and that it apparently owned and I thought "Oh hey I have that game on the Wii VC and haven't played it yet" so I decided to start it up and honestly I'm not sure where the love for it comes from. It's cool and all, and actually looks and feels like an arcade game, but it has some wicked bad control problems. Maybe it's better on a N64 controller, but both Wii Classic and GameCube controllers aren't exactly the best to use with it, no matter what control scheme you set.

I played the game on an emulator with a custom control set-up, so that's probably a huge reason I had a pretty good time with it. I had the analog stick mapped to the right stick and moved with the D-Pad, jumping with L1 and shooting with R2 and it worked pretty much perfectly. Really the only way it could have controlled better is if it was literally just the sequel they released for the Wii.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

At least the sequel has a much simpler control scheme, which is nunchuk to move and evade, Wiimote to aim and fire.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
terry gillian is who tim burton want to be when he growns up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
4 job fiesta owns. it's really cool that a simple change can turn a solved game into a fun new challenge and that any party comp can beat the game eventually

• Locked thread