Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He used it unironically when he thought he was being clever or perverted, it was a big part of the famous SNAKES N CAKES DA2 thread which was very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I need to play a metroidvania. Valdis Story any good?

It's a really good game with some really rough edges. The combat is tight and well designed, each character has multiple weapons and playstyles but it also requires fighting game levels of precision on occasion and it dicks you over with unsignposted boss fights which will almost certainly kill you the first time you try them. Platforming is again tight and reasonably challenging but some optional sequences to get weapon parts and rare materials have incredibly small margins for error and require perfectly executed dash cancels.

If you've got a bit of patience and you're not terrible at games I'd really strongly recommend it still, it's really rewarding to play and has a huge amount of depth for a beat em up metroidvania

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

FF9 has no awesome bits, unless you count making the hidden superboss a beach ball.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Here's your 25 pizzas, sir, here they are, the pizzas that you ordered, this is them.

I did not order any pizzas.

Actually sir, you did sir, you ordered 25 pizzas, yes, 25 pizzas right to this address, and this is those pizzas, these are they.

But I did not order any pizzas.

You ordered 25 pizzas and I, the pizza man, brought them to your door.

I did not do that. The thing you say, it was not me, I did not.

You did, and I have the pizzas to prove it.

No, stop, I don't like them, I don't want them, o cruel fate.

The pizzas, the pizzas, you must.

No, no, it is too much and too many.

Here they are, sir, here are the pizzas.

Please stop, please.

I cannot, you ordered 25 pizzas and must eat them, you must do it now.

It is too many crusts, too many pepperonis upon them.

You must do it, they have to be eaten, and you have ordered them. You have called us, and called this bounty of pizzas on yourself.

No, not bounty, no.

These are the pizzas, and they are what they are, the situation will not change.

Father? You're not a pizza guy anymore, please stop knocking on peoples doors, you don't have a right to scare people like that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

90s kids dodged a bullet there

And youtube poop lost a goldmine

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

July Games Chat: Now with an orientalist surprise on every page

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They make a good point in that Valve is making ridiculous money with their FtP 'games as a service' model, financially they have absolutely no reason to make a high budget, relatively risky AAA title

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Halo ruined shooters and made them all slow and boring as poo poo

Halo was still good though. Modern Warfare introduced the worst tendencies of current-gen shooters (loadouts, instakill hitscan supremacy, cramped narrow maps)

It'd be cool if id contracted People Can Fly to make a throwback old-style Doom with open arenas and subsonic movement speeds, it's a shame seeing the origin of the entire genre chasing other games' design fads

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hey crowfeathers, what game is that Mike Dies video from? That was truly a thing of beauty

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Or how about just balancing the weapons. Turns out big fuckoff lazers are slow, here's some small enemies. Or enemies that flank you when you're trying to reload a big rear end gun solo. Like i said, ammo scarcity is lazy rear end design and pretending it's elsewise is pretty silly.

Only thing dumber than ammo scarcity as game design is monster closets.

There are numerous ways to balance a game, item scarcity is only a problem if you're got debilitating gamer OCD and can't use finite resources in case you need them more further down the line. Otherwise, having rare 'gently caress you, now you die' weapons with limited charges can be a fun part of singleplayer and multiplayer shooters

Also there's only so far you can balance weapons anyway, the whole point of the rocket launcher in Halo is it's a 1-hit kill, how the hell would you balance it to be a staple bread and butter weapon? Make the rocket move at walking pace? Just remove it from the game all together for the sake of Superior Balance?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I would remove the rocket launcher from halo. Because it's the most boring rear end weapon in the game, and it takes up so much of the HUD.

But in all seriousness, the slow load time and low clip size already balance it. Try using it against a large group, you will get shredded before you can kill more than a few dudes. That or you hide, peak out and one shot, repeat.

The thing is, you can do the latter even with the starting pistol, so yes if someone wants an easy way out, at least let it be quicker.

If you want a player to not use a tool you gave them, you're going to need to give them a reason, and something as lazy and artificial as ammo scarcity is awful. "Here's this cool thing, only now we're taking it back after five minutes because it's too good"

Edit: And if you're going to do ammo scarcity, have it make sense. like how in TNO you can't use the moon rifles on earth, because all the ammo is on the moon. But also in TNO you can't use your pistol until halfway through the first stage. Out of all the ammo types an airman will have, it's pistol ammo, why the gently caress do you not have pistol ammo?

Even with balance limitations Halo's power weapons are all still too strong to be standard weapons, if you could use the rocket launcher or grav hammer with the same frequency as the assault rifle or battle rifle it'd degenerate the entire match. You'd have to nerf them into the ground or more likely just remove them all together in order to live up to your idea of balance

Honestly it just sounds like you're confusing your own personal tastes with objective game design, alot of people like having scarce power weapons in shooters; it rewards strong map awareness and makes it fun to cut lose with something you don't normally have access to. Getting the Grav Hammer in Halo 3 and murdering all my friends who don't have grav hammers was one of my favourite multiplayer experiences, Reach leant more in the direction you're talking about and I found the multiplayer was infinitely more boring for it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

theultimo posted:

CHIE SAN IS POISONED HELP HER SENSEI

Well, keep with it and you don't have to worry.

just got to heaven, looks like I'm almost done.

When you get to a confrontation in a hospital room and Yosuke gets really mad, you might wanna look up the correct dialogue choices to not get the bad ending

You have got a good ten hours left to go if you want to get the best ending

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

precision posted:

hahaha

"Nobody's revealing how much was paid, but Razer founder Min-Liang Tan has revealed that the deal was done in cash."

Min Liang Tan and Julie Uhrman met via a Craigslist posting and, at the Starbucks on Voltaire Ave, the company was sold for ten dollars and a grande mocha frappucino.

Isn't a cash-in-hand deal for a company like, ridiculously shady?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Holy gently caress, unexpected but this looks awesome.

I wonder what the implications of Iga directing mean for Bloodstained.

You saw it 's a Pachinko title right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Freedom Planet is good, whereas Shovel Knight is outright fantastic and legitimately contributes to and expands its genre; if you were only going to play one I'd strongly recommend it's Shovel Knight

• Locked thread