Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Devil May Cry 3 is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CJacobs posted:

The only good devil may cry game is DmC

You are extremely wrong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

Sin and Punishment was fun up until the final boss, which was utter bullshit even on Easy, like you can barely screw up at all. Never beat the game because of it.

The final boss is wicked easy, even on Normal. There are way harder bits of the game before that. It's almost impossible to keep all the projectiles from passing through, but if you keep moving around it's not too hard to shoot down the majority of them.

Mak0rz posted:

Someone in the last thread mentioned Sin and Punishment and that it apparently owned and I thought "Oh hey I have that game on the Wii VC and haven't played it yet" so I decided to start it up and honestly I'm not sure where the love for it comes from. It's cool and all, and actually looks and feels like an arcade game, but it has some wicked bad control problems. Maybe it's better on a N64 controller, but both Wii Classic and GameCube controllers aren't exactly the best to use with it, no matter what control scheme you set.

I played the game on an emulator with a custom control set-up, so that's probably a huge reason I had a pretty good time with it. I had the analog stick mapped to the right stick and moved with the D-Pad, jumping with L1 and shooting with R2 and it worked pretty much perfectly. Really the only way it could have controlled better is if it was literally just the sequel they released for the Wii.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best diablo-like game is xanadu next, because it's japanese, has zelda dungeon design, does not actually have very randomized loot, has metroid interconnectivity and actually is not really that diablo-like at all but it's still really really cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CJacobs posted:

Wow, that's comically poor. I'm glad I am not one of the poor saps who purchased a Vita.

I, personally, am extremely jealous of the poor saps who purchased a Vita

They get to play cool anime games like Ys, while I have to wait until I buy a Vita before I can also play the cool anime games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

not true you can play cool anime games on your phone there's even a few on Steam. have you tried HuniePop? :twisted:

yeah but there are cool anime games that aren't on my phone or on steam, too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

theultimo posted:

Why buy a psp when ppsspp does it 100 times better?

i guess if you really, really need a translation for the menus in project diva extend

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
out of all the monhuns you can currently emulate i'm pretty sure the last PSP one is considered the best

i mean there is tri on the wii but apparently all it has over 3rd is underwater stuff that doesn't work very well

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

but i thought PPSSPP couldn't run Dangan Ronpa, which i am given to believe is the only PSP game worth playing

newer versions are supposed to run it perfectly now

also that's wrong because the psp has power stone, nayuta no kiseki, ys seven and hatsune miku

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

I never had one, but didn't the PSP have a decent library by the end?

the PSP has a lot of very cool games, many of which never made it out of japan

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I have to forgive Policenauts for every flaw it has because I'm pretty sure that bomb disarming sequence was the greatest thing of all time. Constantly dying there went from frustrating to absolutely loving hilarious.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
devil may cry 1 and 3 are extremely fun

i played a bit of dmc4:se as vergil in bloody palace at anime expo yesterday and it was fun, i plan on eventually buying it. dmc games, and character action games in general, feel very awkward if you are not used to them, but once you get used to the controls then if they're good they tend to be a blast

and tbh i don't really know if a lot of people ever actually hated dmc4, the general consensus from people in the dmc thread is "very good, but generally not as good as dmc3" and even then people have levelled plenty of criticism at both dmc3 and dmc4's boss fights

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 5, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Xenogears is proof that some PS1 JRPGs, in fact, rocked.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Act 3 of Policenauts sure was Act 3 of Policenauts.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
A cutscene from Bust-a-Move 4 where a space cop preserved in cryogenic stasis is rescued from the new corrupt space cops by the hot daughter of his ex-wife who then confesses her love to him on the couch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
whoa, metal gear 1 is actually a really cool game even with the truckload of msx jankiness

kojima really is god

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just beat the original Metal Gear. I'm not entirely sure why I spent the time to beat the original Metal Gear, it's kind of amazing how tedious it got. It doesn't even get referenced nearly as much in the Solid games as Metal Gear 2 does.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 13, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm actually playing metal gear 2 now and goddamn, the presentation is way better but this also has the worst stuff from metal gear 1 amplified way more.

also snake just accidentally murdered a child because the button to advance through text is the punch button

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"That's the kind of thing you say to your boyfriend, when you're kissing him goodbye."

Yeah, between this and RUNNING MAN I'm gonna have to finish MG2 after all. Even if Metal Gear 1 and 2 have a ton of issues, they have the best boss names, like SHOT MAKER and DIRTY DUCK.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Alright, I beat Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, I probably should not have really bothered to do that because holy fuuuuuuck some of that was tedious.

Now to move on the next chronological entry in the series, Ape Escape.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 15, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Metal Gear Solid is still a really cool game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Metal Gear Solid is awesome, but I eternally loving hate the first Sniper Wolf fight. I am terrible at aiming the PSG-1.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm halfway through replaying Metal Gear Solid. I don't know if love really can bloom on the battlefield yet, but I think Master Miller might be able to tell me the answer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The only two old-school Resident Evils I've played are 1 and 2, and I only really liked 2 at all. I should play through Resident Evil 2 and REmake one of these days.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Just beat Metal Gear Solid again. I think I did less bad this time, but I got the ranking of Leopard and I don't know what that means. I'm gonna take a break before playing MGS2, probably spend more time on my first playthrough of Symphony of the Night.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Way of the Samurai 4 is coming out on PC soon, so I got interested in playing the first one and am doing so now. I got killed by the guys on the bridge a few times, so I decided to just try and go fight some other dudes for practice and now I'm in an area fighting a ton of clones of the same dude and I'm tripping over bodies and kicking up swords and I got a cool new green sword and every time I hit a new milestone they let out a terrified yell over how I've killed forty men and holy poo poo, this game loving rules.

I have to admit, I am very much leaning towards pre-ordering the fourth game now, since beta testers apparently say the port isn't too bad.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 18, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Guys I can't find Yukiko

Shameful. You are not truly dedicated.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah, we're talking about sneak king

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Double Dragon Neon is a radically good game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lurdiak posted:

Makes me sad that the only version of the game with online co-op is the buggy-rear end Steam port.

Yeah the port seems to have some issues with stutter in some later levels but gently caress man it was totally worth it for two bucks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The PC Engine also had Dragon Knight II and III, of course.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Good pixel art rocks. Metal Slug and King of Fighters are pixel art, and they look awesome. Mercenary Kings is a divisive game, but the guy who did pixel art for it and Scott Pilgrim the video game is really good, too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Internet wasn't loving with me, Wolfenstein: The New Order totally rules. Twelve bucks was a ridiculous price for something this good. Really fortunate that my new graphics card came in today so that I can have a computer that can actually run this.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 23, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nasgate posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/383750/

Sooo uhhh, blacksploitation lovely platformer developed by a bunch of white dudes. Released in 2015.
And not a single review mentions how its whole aesthetic is deplorable and awful. Just that the platforming is bad.

I think the platforming sucking matters more than a blaxploitation aesthetic that is clearly meant to be ridiculous and, well, blaxploitation-y.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just think the blaxploitation in that game is in that area where it's so intentionally ridiculous and bad that I wouldn't really expect anybody to take it seriously. What matters more in this case is that the game isn't notable for anything besides it and is clearly banking on it as a result, so it's not worth giving a drat about.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Seems pretty cool to me. I was curious about the artist and took a look at his website, that man really loves Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Taking a deeper look at the work of that guy doing the art for Net High, he's actually a pretty good artist. His Kill la Kill fanart is of very high quality and I recommend viewing it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Shin Megami Tensei games have very excellent character art.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Persona and most SMT character designs in general have kind of a unique style actually. Mostly present in the faces. And the general aesthetics of the games look nice.

I personally have no problem with Twitter Follower RPG copying that style, because it also looks quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Oodles posted:

Can anyone tell me what this game is, it was featured as a screenshot in a chat about Twitch going to HTML5 from Flash.

Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!

I haven't heard amazing things about it, just an average mobile port apparently.

• Locked thread