Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
arcsig
May 29, 2015

Quest For Glory II posted:

Here's Rikku with a little extra cushion

She looks like one of the characters in Metal Slug after you eat too much food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcsig
May 29, 2015

quote:

Before the match even began, each player was able to customize their loadouts, equipping two weapons from a list of six
My heart immediately sank reading this sentence.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Wait, I'm confused. I thought the cancelled Doom 4 was supposed to be the one that played like Call of Duty.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I'm fine with shotguns having their range nerfed for the sake of game balance over realism but there's a limit before it gets ridiculous and tedious. That was the big problem I had with Doom 3's shotgun, even a simple imp required you to stuff your barrel into its chest before you'd get a guaranteed kill.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

The Colonel posted:

Half-Life 2 isn't perfect and there are better shooters out these days, but it is a very good and well-made first-person shooter that still has some really great environmental and sound design that I do think is actually on par with modern stuff like Wolfenstein: TNO and I will never understand why some people are so down on it these days.
People are probably down on it because it often gets treated like the second coming of Jesus. Half-Life 2's a great game but it's like Ocarina of Time in that it has built up a level of fanboy worship that no game could ever live up to.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nasgate posted:

What always weirded me out is that half-life 2 is a worse Halo with a physics gun. And it came out 3 years later.

But nope half life 2, best fps all time.
Do Half-Life 2 and Halo have anything in common at all besides both being FPS?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I think Unreal is better than UT but that's because I generally enjoy single-player more.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nasgate posted:

As for the two weapons, I'd say anything beyond 4 is not only a waste, but with weapon specific ammo it becomes awful.
"Sure hope you don't like using the most fun weapon in the game, because there's no ammo for it in this stage, just ammo for the other 8 weapons that are all poo poo"
This is a problem I had with Wolf:TNO in the beginning. No pistol ammo even though it's the best drat weapon.
Limiting your ammo for the best weapons in the game is an element of balance, not a flaw in game design.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

You aren't going to use anything other than the super shotgun and the rocket launcher anyway, nobody is, so why even complain about it
If your method for convincing people to accept the weapon limit is to say the game is going to have poo poo balance anyways, I don't know how well that's going to work.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

precision posted:

"the future war on terror" is such an awkward sentence fragment

is it "the war on terror in the future"? or is it "the future of war on current terror"? or is it "the future war on future terror"?

gently caress this poo poo
So what you're saying is that tagline is about as well thought out as the rest of the game.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nasgate posted:

Ummm no. Preventing the player from having more fun is bad game design.

If you want to balance, you can balance the level. Reducing ammo is loving lazy.

Honestly, with the exception of survival and things like MGS where you rely on found weapons. Games should give you infinite ammo, or at least a way to convert or resupply for the weapons you prefer.
That sounds like a really awful idea. It would give you no reason to use any weapon except whatever one is the best.

I used to play on a lot of coop servers on Doom source ports and I'd occasionally join ones with infinite ammo enabled. And these servers always became boring as soon as we got to a level with a BFG in it. It just became everyone spamming BFG over and over and instantly clearing out rooms.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

weapons balance should be about making a good role for each weapon in the game so you don't just use one, not making ammo scarce
Of course, and the amount of available ammo for a weapon is part of what factors into its role. Going back to the BFG example, it's supposed to be a situational weapon for dealing with hordes of strong monsters, so it uses a lot of cells with each shot to prevent players from abusing it.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nasgate posted:

Wtf are you talking about? No one mentioned multiplayer. Multiplayer balance is its own thing, and it's always hosed and exploitable even with giant teams devoted to balance.

Also lmao, "the game were you can fly around with a jet pack was more boring than the game with worse mp balance and slow movement"

Like your specific point about the Grav Hammer is you saying you loved a lack of balance.
Multiplayer and single player balance are different, but some of the same methods can be used for each. What, in your eyes, makes limited power weapons totally okay for multiplayer but unacceptable for single player?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nasgate posted:

I never made that statement. Especially since limited power weapons imbalance multiplayer more than unlimited. One rear end in a top hat that memorized the map and guns for the best weapon is going to get more kills than his skill would get. Everyone having access puts everyone on equal footing.
Map knowledge is part of skill. And everyone is already on equal footing. The power weapons are just as available for you as they are for everyone else.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Motto posted:

For some reason Zelda devs can't limit a gimmick to where it would make sense, they have to go whole hog with it and not provide any alternative options. Another example would be the DS Zeldas, where they crammed in every system gimmick that they could, the worst being forcing you to use the mic to play that loving flute, even though most other devs (including other Nintendo developers) had stopped forcing touchscreen and mic features into every single game after 2004/5.
Who's excited for Zelda U?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Cardboard Box A posted:

"I think it's going to be a breakthrough for the industry. I believe it's going to take shooters to the next level.
But Itagaki didn't make Splatoon.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

They're probably just going to call the new one "The Xbox" just to be as confusing as possible.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Konami no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Time trials are fun and satisfying if the game mechanics are suited for it.

• Locked thread