Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I have never understood how people can play Diablo or Diablo-clones singleplayer, Borderlands included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Lobster posted:

Every time I see the thread title I think of how games already has its own Terry Gilliam, and it's Guillermo Del Toro.

PT is the Don Quixote of games

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

program666 posted:

cave story is also a pretty good metroid clone

Cave Story rules but if anybody is newly playing it you should look up how to get the true ending/secret area either on your first or second playthrough because one of the triggers for it (ignoring the injured Dr. Booster instead of talking to him) is the kind of incredibly stupid thing nobody would just think to try on their own

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

I also have to ask why these guys are making a new King's Quest, I mean it's an old and dead franchise so it probably isn't hard to pick up, but all they've made is some pie game and a bad Gaiman game

Probably some mixture of "people will buy/back this no matter what because it says King's Quest on it and there's no bottom of the well when it comes to nerdy nostalgia", and "it's a passion project because someone in a high-up position working on it really liked King's Quest as a kid".

Why either of those things is the case I have no idea because the KQ games are terrible, but hey!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Prorat posted:

The last thing he heard was the sound of the ambulance pulling up...

"WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU"

The console that killed his company had finally arrived to finish the job...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

The blowback from the new Rayman IOS game is amazing. :allears:

You know all that poo poo you could do for free in Rayman origins and Legends? You know like limitless continues? Everything is charged money now and it apparently made a ton of people angry because there's a ton of land of the livid dead gently caress YOU sections that you need time to memorize.

This is probably going to wind up being bigger than Assassin's Creed not working correctly.

Do you have to buy the game? What else did people expect?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

If you're playing all of the metal gear games in a row in July to prepare yourself for TPP, there is a thread you may enjoy in the Imp Zone...just a hot tip from a fellow MG fan.

Heard this post in Otacon's voice.... thank you.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

The malicious prank of "swatting" -- calling in false emergencies that send swarms of heavily armed cops to a school or home -- is often perpetrated by X-Box gamers who occasionally hijack peoples' Twitter or Facebook accounts and refuse to release them unless the victims make a swatting call, according to an affidavit filed in federal court.

The affidavit cites the case of Matthew Tollis, of Wethersfield, Connecticut, who is accused of taking part in seven swatting calls. Tollis was allegedly part of a group that threatened to bomb the University of Connecticut, attack the home of an individual in Connecticut, create false threats to school across the country, and in one ghoulish call told police that a man with an assault rifle was headed to the new Sandy Hook Elementary School, the scene of a notorious massacre of staff and first graders.

Tollis claimed to federal investigators that he began taking part in the swatting calls after he was targeted online by hackers who "doxed" him, a tactic of posting online all of his personal information, including Social Security numbers and passwords, and "pizza bombing" him, sending large numbers of pizzas to his house which he then had to pay for, according to the federal document.

“Tollis explained that he began to look for ways to protect himself and his family from online abuse,” FBI investigators wrote in the federal affidavit obtained by ABC News. He told the FBI he joined a group of gamers who called themselves “TeAM Crucifix or Die” (TCOD) because “it would discourage others from bullying him.”

The group's membership allegedly includes gamers who live in the United Kingdom and use names like Verified, Jordy and Declaws, the affidavit states. Tollis used the name Hxrbor, according to the document.

Tollis, 21, was arrested Sept. 3, for his alleged role in the April 3 swatting call that claimed there was a bomb at the University of Connecticut. He is charged with three counts connected to the UConn incident as well as three counts of federal conspiracy and aiding and abetting.

Tollis' attorney Jeremy Weingast had no comment on Friday before Tollis was due in federal court.

When he was interviewed by investigators, Tollis said he was involved in a total of seven swatting calls, including calls to a high school in Texas, two in New Jersey and one in Florida, the document states. There were also threats made against Boston University and the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center. Tollis denied making the calls himself, "but admitted that he had laughed in the background of the calls,” the affidavit states.

He also told investigator he knew about a host of others that the group allegedly perpetrated, including the call regarding Sandy Hook Elementary School, the document states.

“I was scared of being their next target so I did not inform the Authorities of their Actions,” Tollis wrote in the statement, according to the affidavit. “I stood by and watched as resources were wasted for hoax calls. I did so out of fear and regret associating myself with these people."

The federal affidavit, filed Sept. 9 in U.S. District Court in New Haven, Conn., said "the group primarily consists of Microsoft X-Box players or gamers." It described how a victim of doxing may have their personal identity details publicized or have their Twitter account taken over with the hackers "extorting individuals seeking to regain control of their Twitter accounting by requiring the individual to, among other things, send nude photos of themselves or calling the police to report an incident that would require specialized units like SWAT or the bomb squad to respond (swatting,)" the affidavit states.

videogames are for degenerates i'll see you dudes in pet island

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

These are the pizzas, and they are what they are, the situation will not change.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

Wikis are amazing. Last time I had to go on the Terraria wiki it advised me that the cell phone item is actually a reference to Kirby & The Amazing Mirror because it too had a cell phone in it.

The Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader page on Wookiepedia is almost 100,000 words long which is longer than like half the novels in the English canon.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's the Pokemon Snap sequel we always wanted.

I don't actually know how to respond to this because on one hand Pokemon Snap owns and on the other it's hilarious that people paid like $70 for an N64 cartridge of it when today it would be a 10 or 15 dollar digital store game

Someone form an opinion on Pokemon Snap for me

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
idk why I'm posting about it in this thread, just needed somewhere to vent I guess??? but sometimes I accidentally wind up in the homestuck thread and read an effortpost or follow a link to a wiki or something and it makes me glad i don't have schizophrenia

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The "style" of the Persona games extends far beyond the character designs being good or bad or anything at all; IMO the more interesting designwork goes into things like the important personas (for example the Japanese pantheon in 4) which are all highly interpretive versions of mythological figures, and the radical UIs that are a hundred times slicker than the boring, designed-by-committee menus most games have now where fonts are selected for maximum cellphone legibility and colors to cause minimal eyestrain rather than for, you know, artistic or stylistic reasons

That trailer is really clearly mimicking the style of Persona 3 and 4

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh gently caress I am almost done with persona 4 golden, only 2 months left~

Drag it out for a while Persona 5 doesn't come out until the end of the year

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I went to highschool with a dude who was adamant that Pokemon were real animals, just like fish or bears. He wrote R and NC-17 rated stories about his pet Charizard, claimed it would kill anyone who bullied him if they were persistent and mean enough about it (people were, no Charizard killed them), and was very eager to show his fan fiction to any girl who gave him the time of day by being kind to him instead of laughing in his face or actively avoiding him. He would sometimes launch into screaming fits and run down the hall, or growl at people like an animal when they said hello to him. Teachers had no idea what to do with him; he would generally do his work and get mediocre grades, though, so they just quietly passed him and sighed relief when he moved on.

To this day I have no clue if he was seriously mentally ill, or if he was just a weird lonely nerd with an attention-getting gimmick.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

this loving owns especially the "R or NC-17" rated stories like what was the difference in his fanfics.

Graphic sexual content between Pokemon. Which of course he told people about

precision posted:

"Nobody's revealing how much was paid, but Razer founder Min-Liang Tan has revealed that the deal was done in cash."

lol

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 28, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing wrong with it is that its a Kickstarter project in the first place. Every single crowdfunded game is going to have at least a minority of vocal detractors because:

1) Gamers even outside of crowdfunding have unrealistic expectations from new consumer products and media, partially because they're childlike, and partially because the industry is full of overpromising hype men who spout ridiculous hyperbole throughout the entire development process. This especially applies to crowdfunding, where people are trying to convince you to directly pay their salary.

2) Most people have no idea how expensive videogames can be to make, and how surprisingly easy it is to spend a million dollars. Any time I think about this I'm reminded of the Skullgirls crowdfunding campaign and how nerds who knew absolutely nothing about animation and game development were making conspiratorial cost breakdowns for how the dev team were TOTALLY ripping people off. They weren't.

3) A lot of backers confuse the power dynamics of crowdfunding and think of themselves as a producer and a part of the project instead of a donor and someone who pre-ordered a game before development started. Even the ones who donate like $10, whose contribution to the project was essentially buying one guy lunch.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Holy gently caress, unexpected but this looks awesome.

I wonder what the implications of Iga directing mean for Bloodstained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cardboard Box A posted:

Much like with Christian Music, the Christian Film Industry basically exists to copycat the larger film industry just with a bit less sex and bad language. It doesn't mean the films or music expound upon Christian themes or grapple with theological questions to any real degree.

It also looks uber-patriotic. There are a bunch of Christian films about good cops and hero soldiers and poo poo too.

The people who want public school history curricula to be more nationalist are mostly the same people who want public school biology curricula to teach creationism; there's a long history of Christian nationalism in the US and (obviously) in the last few decades the American right has been really, really good at promoting that agenda.

• Locked thread