Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

dat one portagee posted:

What video games are you fine fellows going to be playing in July?

New Vegas /w mods. Yay for a PC that's not poop on a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hubris.height posted:

4 job fiesta owns. it's really cool that a simple change can turn a solved game into a fun new challenge and that any party comp can beat the game eventually

FF5 is straight up a great game, even though it's less "cinematic" than 4 or 6, so of course playing it with a stupid gimmick is still fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

V's story is dumb but the writers/translators knew it was its so its a lot more fun than the later FFs in that regard. 4, 5, and 6 was when the series was at its peak.

I don't think it's dumb it's just kind of a big mess. And yeah, I find myself returning to the SNES games way more than I ever do any of the others. Those loving FMVs are awful.

Accordion Man posted:

Also 5 gave us the best Final Fantasy character, Gilgamesh.

Gilgamesh is legitimately funny and that's not something the translators made up, he was always that great. ExDeath being an evil tree is pretty inspired, too.

Bicyclops posted:

Ex Death is basically just an evil tree who's really mean, and it's great.

Yeah man! Yeah!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

A big part of the SNES ones and other games from the era like Chronotrigger and Mario RPG is you can be like "I'mma go play this FF4" and go just burn through it in 3-4 nights because they're relatively short and sweet.

I bring this up obnoxiously often whenever I get the chance, but when either the GBA or DS port of FFIV was being made, the original lead dev was involved and gave an interview with Nintendo Power where he basically explained that you can have your silly stories with amnesia and dragons and paladins and melodrama and space whales when you're working with very limited dialogue boxes and little sprites that jump up and down.

People will accept those limitations and fill in the blanks themselves, and they'll be able to bring themselves to empathize with characters like Galuf when he falls down and flashes.

But when you have lavish cutscenes trying to portray the same kinda story, the weak writing and the bad voice acting and the poorly composed cinematography all start to wear down on the player and disconnect them from the game world you're building, and the longer those scenes go on for, the more stupid your entire story starts to look, and the player doesn't feel the same connection as he did with the simpler game that worked within its own limits.

He said all this very diplomatically and without making GBS threads on anyone making modern JRPGs but I have never agreed so violently with an old man about video games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Long ago I swore an oath.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hubris.height posted:

i have ff3 on the ds and have not finished it yet, or really played it yet

come to think of it, my physical game backlog pile is gonna get steam library hand waved soon

FF2 and 3 have aged much more poorly than FF1 did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hubris.height posted:

is it as horrifying as the game boy luffia games?

Hey, Lufia 3 is good outside of the terrible dungeons.

Lufia 4 though, yuck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

program666 posted:

did anyone play phantom 2040 for the snes?

For like 5 minutes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

i legitimately have no idea what Homestuck is, and i am 100% sure that is a good thing

I know what Homestuck is and you are correct.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

anyone have any opinions on Hand of Fate? looks fun from watching on youtube

Never heard a bad thing about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

link, lets do four hours of tutorials before you can fly anywhere interesting

There's never anywhere interesting to fly to in that game, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I want to use a fallout 2 save editor to bring back a missed quest that I only missed due to working around a dumb bug, but I don't know which values to edit. I'm pretty sure the people at the NMA forums would be able to tell me, but I really don't want to interact with them if I can avoid it.

My life is average.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

FFV is the first mobile game I've purchased, and it's not only great fun, it's amazing on long rear end flights.

Snes JRPGs were great. I firmly believe many people who say they hate the genre got in during the PSX era or later, when things started to suck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For something the length of an RPG, I usually only replay if there are alternate paths or it's been long enough that I've forgotten a good 40% of the details. I like to pick up short-rear end games and blast through them on a whim, though. Turtles in Time? I got an hour.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

I legitimately could not tell you anything about what happens in FF9 after disc 2.

See, that means it's ripe for replaying. Although I'd recommend replaying something a little better.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Here's a hint: all the awesome bits.

FF9 has no awesome bits, unless you count making the hidden superboss a beach ball.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your posting just keeps on getting worse.

If you take out the references to older games it's just another FF with a bad story and mediocre mechanics. And Kuja is like the worst villain in the franchise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That is a p. good joke, I will redact my statement to say that the awesome parts of FF9 don't make up for its flaws.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hubris.height posted:

can we please agree to a cease fire on hosed up avatars what in the actual gently caress

I wish I knew what I did to piss this person off, I estimate they've paid at least 110 dollars to buy me avatars. It's actually pretty funny to know that someone hates me with such impotent rage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actually, everyone except this guy is welcome. Imp Zone is a place where people actually like games instead of hate them, and you can talk about games you like instead of wallowing in extremely GBS negativity.

I like to post in imp zone sometimes.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Batman doing TOTALLY NON LETHAL takedowns in AK is the new "power bombing crooks off the roof of the empire state building" in Spiderman 2

I still play Spider-man 2 once in a while. Just swing around...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I beat Fallout 2, it holds up pretty well overall, pretty much a classic, although it's really funny to me that some of the endings are bugged so it triggers the wrong one no matter what you did. Way to end the game on a high note.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Use Killapps Fallout 2 Restoration Patch

I'll try that next time.

I don't want to nerd it up too much but I thought the game did a really good job of conveying its theme of power struggles on the micro and macro scale. Factions struggling for control of tiny towns, big cities trying to gain control of the larger area, and ultimately, facing a group that wants to control everything and represents the various biggest powers in the present day, carried forward as an isolated group into this post-apocalypse fiction.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish they'd stop making games and apps exclusively for phones. That poo poo would cost me more than a new console. Just lemme play fallout shelter on my dang pc! And I wanna post some dang vines, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fairy Solitaire eh?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dang, I can't find a stupid image where a cartoon in a kid's book suggests the solution to a problem is to play doom 2 for 3 months and shoot up your school. I thought I'd saved it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

Metal Gear Solid is still a really cool game.

Yeah, but I still like Twin Snakes better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Playing Fallout 2 makes me wish we could get the Shadowrun Returns team to work on an old-style fallout game. The UI improvements would make up for a lot of the clunkiness. VATS just ain't as fun as turn based.

E: Also this stuff looks way cooler to me than gibbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjbaWD-Aj6Y

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm just looking at the backgrounds the entire time because they're so much better-drawn than the little dudes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Finished Guacamelee. Darned good game, though some of those platforming challenges were utter bastards near the end, jesus. Got a bad ending though, I assume you get better by beating it on Hard, but ehn.

Now on to either Axiom Verge or Environmental Station Alpha or Valdis Story :)

Did you play Gold of Super Turbo? I thought Super Turbo's extra content was really fun except for the teleporting enemies that break the flow of the game, which is one of those cases of loving with a perfect formula until you ruin it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Super Turbo but I hadn't played any other version so I dunno what's actually new :shobon:

That whole underground city, and the 3-headed boss, that poo poo's all new. So's the volcano. The enemies I refer to are the black boned ones that vanish while you combo them, which I really think breaks the flow of combat and are a misstep. The intenso meter is also new. It's a lot of new content!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

Double Dragon Neon is a radically good game.

Makes me sad that the only version of the game with online co-op is the buggy-rear end Steam port.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Batman no, what have you done to that poor man's eyes?

Why Batman

Is it that the port is buggy in general (the stutter you mention) or is only the online coop buggy?

It's a janky-rear end port, straight up. It's still enough of a good game to put up with it, especially if you've endured a Bethesda game before.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I shouldn't have played two fallout games in a row. I feel like I might start puking up post-apocalypse and 50s sci-fi cliches.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

program666 posted:

I'm pretty ok with bad pixel art, like really really really ok.

I can tolerate it but I'm really passionate about good pixel art so it bugs me that a lot of people think pixel art is automatically low effort nowadays.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you can get a game boy advance player for your gamecube I recommend it. Hell yeah for playing game boy, game boy advance and game boy color games on your TV with no emulation issues. Hell yeah for those like 8 GBA games that had specific functions for the game boy advance player like using the rumble in the controller to let you find secrets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I thought the world had decided a very long time ago that blacksploitation was good and enjoyable even despite its namesake, but then again most of my exposure to the genre comes from people making parody out of it so

Ironic racism is not very much better than regular racism. And the only blacksploitation parodies that aren't poo poo are made by people who are actually black.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Blacksploitation is a lot like the 80s in that people with no actual exposure to or familiarity with it love to bust out lazy parodies based on what they think it's like.

See also: kung fu movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I've never seen anyone play a create-a-character game that just made a fit white dude, it's always something goofy or silly, I want some more creativity from devs

You ain't been looking very hard. The Saint's Row 3 "post your character" thread was mostly people going "check out my average build short haired white guy in t-shirt and jeans!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr E posted:

It had a rad soundtrack but eh otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ykw0BlcM7I

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Great Joe posted:

I believe it. Valve really aren't as good at making games as most of their fans think they are. Don't get me wrong, Portal 2 was great but imagine if Half-Life 3 was about on the level of quality as Left 4 Dead 2? There'd be death threats, no question about it.

I dunno, I think people were pretty forgiving of the people involved in Duke Nukem Forever, and that game was wayyy worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, but then that came out before Mass Effect 3. This practise of forming hate mobs against anyone who even mildly inconveniences you is a recent development, but it's very powerful.

I really think that was born of a genuine investment in the story and characters, on a level that Half-life can't match.

• Locked thread