Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I'd much prefer a Sunday deadline but that's just me. I'm not the most available person before Sundays on the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A sunday deadline would mean I'd be at work on Monday when it hits locally. It's either that or do it tonight I guess.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

A sunday deadline would mean I'd be at work on Monday when it hits locally. It's either that or do it tonight I guess.

I suppose I could do it tonight though my opinions will be rushed because I haven't worked on this game at all all day.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'll be at a wedding this weekend, so tonight would be better.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Don't think many people would like a weekend deadline.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why is Squiggly softly discrediting merk by saying he's anti-town but won't say he thinks he's scum?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
to be fair this seems to be a game of just discrediting everyone

including this post

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm working on several cases as we speak and I will lay my vote when they're all posted out. Just a heads up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Uuuughhh, that ended up taking me longer than I thought.

Can someone briefly summarize the issue with Walrus?

I don't see anything particularly egregious in the posts Quin just made about Quidnose (1). I'm never really good at meta, but there's nothing too exciting about his content imho.

Ok so as I said I went back to see what could be picked up from QPQ. And this comment where she defends Walrus also contains one on Quin. This piqued my interest.

Going though Quin on D1 she chases down Gamer and Quid(nose) and sticks her vote on the latter. Gamer is also the player QPQ had been voting and mostly dogging down. A possible build up to a vote?

The thing I can't get my head around is her vote on Walrus:

Quinquereme posted:

Ah, that's how he always is? I thought I had something there :(

In that case:
##unvote
##vote WalrusWhiskers

It expresses regret at her own weak Quidnose case and then she jumps on on Walrus after having called his comment "Waffly" (all after merk again asked about the quote). She's in the middle of the vote order so that doesn't mean much but she doesn't seem very much personally convinced of Walruses scumminess but she's clearly fine following the pack.

Quinquereme posted:

Considering Walrus posted this I feel pretty good about merk and wins.

Or maybe that's what he wanted us to think??

Read his posts again quickly, I don't feel like he was engaged enough to be part of some big plan.

This coupled with this:

in short sequence is a bit too 'nudge nudge' with two other known scum players. Nothing too solid but laying down a couple of town reads and then half jokingly retracting them, then re-instating them seriously is a bit off. The 2nd quote just bugs me but I've no real reason why other than bias at this point. She then again town reads Gamer based on QPQ's play. Here though she doesn't offer the "i know that he knows that i know that he knows..." logic twists from before.

Quinquereme posted:

Seeing as he defended one confirmed scum I feel pretty suspicious of Max.

And this seems hypocritical or willfully ignoring QPQ's posting since he did the same thing towards Quin herself.

The cons in this case is that this is her first game and that makes me sympathetic and she's also posting very tonally honestly in my opinion which kinda messes with my reads. So she doesn't read like scum but I can't shake the feeling that she's tied to the currently known scum.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

to be fair this seems to be a game of just discrediting everyone

including this post

Yeah, but you go all in. You don't dance around it. Squiggly's latest call out post is just so 'softly softly'.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So wins makes a nice point about how scum may be playing it cool considering they're down 2 (esp with the day-vig dead). This implies that our chattier players are town. I wouldn't judge that so quickly but it does make our lurkier players like Punt, the one he singles suspect. And so Punt's flippancy here is curious:

Puntification posted:

Ok let me respond with a post of similar quality: lol @ u

Since I think wins has a point on this one.

Also your interaction with known scum that max had mentioned but never explicitly reposted:

Puntification posted:

Yes you're quite right, ##unvote ##vote wins

After walrus points out how your vote on Wins wasn't counting. Note that Walrus was the only other one voting Wins.

Cons to this case? Honestly it's a bit of a lurker vote which kinda bugs me but it's been overall scummy play on Punts part

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Amoeba102 posted:

Why is Squiggly softly discrediting merk by saying he's anti-town but won't say he thinks he's scum?

I don't think he's scum because I don't believe his scum game would be this obvious. His posts are just super strange

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Play it binary as pro-town / anti-town. Where do you class merk?

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Besides, you can't deny merk was crucial to lynching walrus. So I don't think scum is correct. But he's not exactly being super helpful and content filled posts, which seems out of the ordinary. Ergo, I think he's anti town. I'd vote him for a deadline decision but I'd prefer to save my vote for actual scum

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Squiggly posted:

It's like everyone forgot how to play mafia or something

We never knew. I went into looking at Squiggly because he's numero uno right now and also because I was curious to see if his QPQ vote was a bus. It doesn't seem like it is. Not a place to put a vote.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So wins makes a nice point about how scum may be playing it cool considering they're down 2 (esp with the day-vig dead). This implies that our chattier players are town. I wouldn't judge that so quickly but it does make our lurkier players like Punt, the one he singles suspect. And so Punt's flippancy here is curious:

Since I think wins has a point on this one.

On top of that, he posted that pretty much immediately after I posted, implying he's reading the thread without participating. I get that it's a bit of guesswork, but it really was an over the top reaction for that sort of post.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Squiggly posted:

Besides, you can't deny merk was crucial to lynching walrus. So I don't think scum is correct. But he's not exactly being super helpful and content filled posts, which seems out of the ordinary. Ergo, I think he's anti town. I'd vote him for a deadline decision but I'd prefer to save my vote for actual scum

"Merk was crucial is voting out scum"
"Merk hasn't been super helpful"

There's a bit of a disconnect here in your logic. Like you're only saying the first part out of obligation.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Squiggly posted:

merk was crucial to lynching walrus.

he's not exactly being super helpful

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amoeba102 posted:

There's a bit of a disconnect here in your logic. Like you're only saying the first part out of obligation.

too slow! drat

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Merk and Squiggly scumteam, let's cuddle merk~

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TLDR: Zzyzx said a lot of 'ninja: what" I re-hash here it turns out. I'll leave it up for posterity but I've italicized the more unique bits.

Spoonsy posted:

Hey guys how was everyones weekend? Mine was cool. Didn't have to read a hundred or so posts about the same two people bickering.

First things first, ##unvote before my clear joke vote serves as the basis for anything.

I don't like the fact that Keane has refused to let up on Max for his refusal to post a sentence. To echo Quid, if Max were to be shot dead this instant and flip town, Keane will have contributed a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. And he's taken the time to fight back against everyone who has pointed this fact out, be it Quid, or merk, or anyone really, for continuing his hunt and remaining the sole (after my unvote) person on Max.

Walrus: Uncomfortable as to why anyone would try to push for people to quickly vote for a lynch D1 before the weekend, but not uncomfortable enough to put a vote down
Gamer: Dude don't speculate on game structure the second the game starts. That's unnecessary and weird

Also, Keane, are you willing to do a leg drop from the top of the third rope?

This is a bad post. I would be wary about those who pushed the Keane/Max argument since it offers a lot nice cheap talking points for scum to comment on without fear (assuming Max is town, but even if he's scum they can egg the argument on to fill space). She then goes both ways in regards to Walrus and criticizes gamer, QPQ's target.

Spoonsy posted:

Nth Doctor: Good catch on the WW posts. I will confess I didn't notice that, especially as he was interested and confused as to how the two posts landed simultaneously with an attempt to laugh it off.

I'm comfortable enough to put this here for the time being ##vote WalrusWhiskers. And yes, if there's a town flip, then all of our efforts will have been for naught CAUSE D1

(and no, Keane, I don't object to Merk)

Spoonsy's vote on Walrus is pretty suspect though it comes in at the the middle of the pack. First she acknowledges Nth's catch on WW:

Nth Doctor posted:

This morning I thought about these two posts that hit in the same minute. This looks suspicious enough to me.

## vote Walrus

This post which is the one that makes spoonsy really want to vote Walrus? Seems like a weird choice to me. But the whole "if there's a town flip..." is so loaded, and even at its most innocent reveals indifference and uncertainty to their own vote.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Amoeba102 posted:

Helpful means both times I've asked him to clarify points I've gotten awful responses. How is it helpful to have to draw teeth? He's not making cases, he's laying a vote and then subtly nudging it along while not actually doing any work to promote the idea within. That's how I'm reading his posts

I actually responded to him earlier and did he engage? No, but he's clearly following along and willing to post. Is that helpful?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Those are my cases. I can actually stay awake for awhile because it's too loving hot to sleep. I can vote with comfort Spoons or Punt but I'd rather give more traction to punt for the moment to bring their situation to light and hopefully drag him out to say a bit more since I think we've got a bit more on Spoons up to here.

##vote Puntification

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Squiggly posted:

I actually responded to him earlier and did he engage? No, but he's clearly following along and willing to post. Is that helpful?

You responded by telling me that you had no scum reads. I'm engaged in voting you.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Quidnose posted:

Merk and Squiggly scumteam, let's cuddle merk~

Again, 0% chance I'm getting lynched today. Please join the Squiggly lynch if you feel that he is scum.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Squiggly posted:

Helpful means both times I've asked him to clarify points I've gotten awful responses. How is it helpful to have to draw teeth? He's not making cases, he's laying a vote and then subtly nudging it along while not actually doing any work to promote the idea within. That's how I'm reading his posts

More helpful than making hedging posts and implying rather than saying their opinions.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

merk posted:

You responded by telling me that you had no scum reads. I'm engaged in voting you.

This is a circular argument you have constructed. I am scum for voting a scum and being willing to vote for another (both of which I provide actual reasons for), and both are dead

I have found two scum and have no current scum reads because the two I was willing to vote for are already dead.

I am scum for voting scum and in doing so ridding myself of targets for future days. Woe is me in this illogical trap you have constructed around me

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm trying to take more of a backseat approach this game. I'm putting out my opinions with a little justification, and then seeing what the thread will do with it. On day 1 it got scum lynched, so I think I'm going to keep playing this way.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Squiggly posted:

This is a circular argument you have constructed. I am scum for voting a scum and being willing to vote for another (both of which I provide actual reasons for), and both are dead

I have found two scum and have no current scum reads because the two I was willing to vote for are already dead.

I am scum for voting scum and in doing so ridding myself of targets for future days. Woe is me in this illogical trap you have constructed around me

He accused you of busing and distancing those scum. Did I miss your rebuttal?

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Amoeba102 posted:

More helpful than making hedging posts and implying rather than saying their opinions.

I'm not implying, I'm stating very technically with reasons behind it. Why are you interested in lawyering me with semantics arguments?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

merk posted:

I'm trying to take more of a backseat approach this game. I'm putting out my opinions with a little justification, and then seeing what the thread will do with it. On day 1 it got scum lynched, so I think I'm going to keep playing this way.

That's an odd way to go about it but I guess that it can be difficult to just play given your reputation?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Squiggly posted:

I'm not implying, I'm stating very technically with reasons behind it. Why are you interested in lawyering me with semantics arguments?

I'm talking about " He's not making cases, he's laying a vote and then subtly nudging it along while not actually doing any work to promote the idea within." specifically. You state technically what he did, but aren leaving the imagination of the reader to fill in the blanks as to why. Normally if I were to say "This player is laying a vote down and just weakly pushing it I'd say it were a fake case and it was busing. It's the implication. But you've headed off people linking that as your opinion because you say he's not scum. Your distancing yourself from the implications of your accusations.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Amoeba102 posted:

He accused you of busing and distancing those scum. Did I miss your rebuttal?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728987&perpage=40#post447826146

It's an actual vote on an actual scum. Like it's a downright good post and I don't make many of those D1. How is it bussing? Merk has never explained. You call it bussing because...? Because he used the word without proving a thing or putting forward why my vote on quid wasn't legit

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Squiggly posted:

I am scum for voting scum and in doing so ridding myself of targets for future days.

Ok, fine, I will get you lynched today with this post. I'm probably done after this post. I don't see any reason why we would lynch anyone other than Squiggly today. His d1 play is the most scummy play out there in light of the two scum flips that we have.

:siren: For those not following along, Squiggly is scum because on day 1 he:
  • lightly defends walrus1;
  • but keeps a walrus vote open for himself without ever actually making it2; and
  • does a little distancing from his other known scum buddy3.

1:

Gamerofthegame posted:

Squint.

Until there's a deadline there's no reason to rush the vote. You're posting has been white noise at best and more awkward then mine and I'm bad D1. Then you just jump onto a vote with someone else and nudge people to vote to finish the day, all the while looking to the lurkers. That's p fukken scummy to me.

##vote WalrusWhiskers, I'm confident in this one.

Squiggly posted:

Dis post

Who are your scum buddies?

##vote gamer

Not only is this a defense of walrus because it attacks Gamer for voting walrus. Squiggly also provides a viable alternative to the walrus lynch in Gamer with this vote.
-----------------------------------------------
2:

Squiggly posted:

Had to wait and check the time stamps but I'd vote walruswhiskers too. I'd already voted quoproquid by the time this post was made, which walruswhiskers would know if he was actually following the thread instead of uselessly posting to look busy
-----------------------------------------------
3:

Squiggly posted:

I think it's QuoProQuid. Convenient posting, pushing lines that don't need to be pushed, following the crowd. Someone else read him and tell me I'm crazy

##vote QuoProQuid

Here is a very weak vote on Quid that Squiggly never follows up on. In fact, he jumps off that vote as quickly as possible with a no justification vote that defends his other scum buddy:

Squiggly posted:

Dis post

Who are your scum buddies?

##vote gamer

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Amoeba102 posted:

I'm talking about " He's not making cases, he's laying a vote and then subtly nudging it along while not actually doing any work to promote the idea within." specifically. You state technically what he did, but aren leaving the imagination of the reader to fill in the blanks as to why. Normally if I were to say "This player is laying a vote down and just weakly pushing it I'd say it were a fake case and it was busing. It's the implication. But you've headed off people linking that as your opinion because you say he's not scum. Your distancing yourself from the implications of your accusations.

How so? I've stated I think he's anti town and third party and would vote him in a deadline because I think he has his own agenda. How is that not clear?

##vote amoeba for being deliberately obtuse. Vote me already enough with the buildup and weak rear end arguments

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That just linked me to the start of the thread.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The scum strategy on day 1 was:
1. lightly distance (Squiggly's vote on QuoProQuid);
2. try to save walrus by promoting an alternative candidate and attacking walrus votes (Squiggly voting Gamer; QuoProQuid voting Gamer); and
3. bailing out on walrus towards the end (which they didn't get enough time to do because walrus' claim was unhelpful to them, but Squiggly does set this up for himself).

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I DONT JUMP OFF OF A VOTE ITS NT A REAL VOTE MY ONLY VOTE IS ON QUID STOP BEING SO loving DENSE

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Squiggly posted:

I DONT JUMP OFF OF A VOTE ITS NT A REAL VOTE MY ONLY VOTE IS ON QUID STOP BEING SO loving DENSE

I'm voting you until you're removed from the game. Now, I'm going to work. Later all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Amoeba102 posted:

That just linked me to the start of the thread.

It's a response to a zzyzx post. I'm phone posting so you're gonna have to look it up yourself

• Locked thread