Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Lowtechs posted:

OP you need to immediately build a very high fence around that plant with motion sensing cameras and automatic bug sprayers.

Stinkbugs Have Spread to 41 States; Can We Stop Them?

Attacking organic wineries!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zE8RI0Mvo

We MUST band together to stop this invasion of these brown bugs!

quote:

"In Asia, where the brown marmorated stinkbug comes from, there are small, parasitic wasps that attack their eggs," said Kim Hoelmer, a research entomologist and acting director of the USDA's Overseas Biological Control Laboratories.

Once the wasp eggs hatch, they completely devour everything within the stinkbug egg. Then they chew a hole in the shell and crawl out.

oh yeah how could that POSSIBLY go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
people flipping out over "invasive species" is dumb as hell. it's called evolution, idiot. the "invasive" quality is just one we attach because we're giant weepy babies

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

gay still chillin,

no new eggs

Are these eggs already fertilized or are they just going to dry out without another stink bug?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Gay Hitler posted:

gay still chillin,

no new eggs

Are these eggs already fertilized or are they just going to dry out without another stink bug?

fertilize them yourself just in case

little stinkbugs walking around with a humna face :whitewater:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Kill all insects

.random
May 7, 2007

After you brutally murder Gary, make sure you shame your coworkers by shoving him (her) into each of their faces and screaming "SEE WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT?" or "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW"

Please enlist one of the baby stinkbugs to record you as you do so and upload an appropriate number of vines.

(P.S., how many coworkers do you have / need to shame?)

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Kill it and leave its corpse as a warning to all the other stink bugs

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I loving hate insects

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Hitler posted:

gay still chillin,

no new eggs

Most bug egg shells are complex and multilayered to keep the baby from drying out. This means they have to be fertilized before they are laid, otherwise the sperm can't get in. Bugs vary a lot though -- the ones that lay their eggs in rotten poo poo don't have the moisture barrier (rotten poo poo has moisture so drying isn't a problem), others just make male babies from unfertilized eggs and females from fertilized eggs, a few are hermaphroditic and can self fertilize. I don't know about Gary but probably she hosed a while ago. Some female bugs get fertilized the minute they leave their pupae or whatever and carry the jizz around for a long time before using it, like the Japanese.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I'm a stinkbug expert and what you have there is a lot of tiny poops on your plant. Stinkbug does not respect you.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

If you want the stinkbugs to have something to eat so you can go from 400 baby stink bugs to stink bug wallpaper and carpeting, you can give them some soft fruits or vegetables. Fresh apple or peach slice, or some green beans or something.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
thank you for the update, Gay Hitler

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Back in highschool I was at work at saw a fly land on a little ceasars hot-n-ready we had just bought. Before I shooed it, it managed to poo poo out some eggs on the pizza. The eggs were practically invisible on the cheese so it kinda ruined pizza for me for a while.

Bonus: I was a jerk and let a coworker eat the eggs slice.

Nock
Apr 6, 2015
Grimey Drawer
My middle school was infested with stink bugs. I'm pretty sure they never managed to get rid of them all.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

apparently these things hatch like 4-5 days after being laid, which means these things should be hathing right now. one of them looks a little weird but poo poo i cant tell what the gently caress

will update again if anything interesting happens

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
disappointing lack of stinkbugcam itt

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
what if we miss their first precious moments

what then op what then

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
ew kill it kill it kill it

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
You have to be there so they imprint on you!

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

if you see one, there's twenty in your ear

- mom/orkin commercials

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Robokomodo posted:

You have to be there so they imprint on you!
maybe he could train them to hunt centipedes

op how much do you resemble chris pratt

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXSon0q9LqE

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I remembered there being 14 eggs, but now I only see 13, one of which looks pretty hosed up.

not sure if it hatched or dried out or what. dont see any creepy crawlies other than stinky mama herself

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Enjoy your slowly growing population of stinkbugs OP

Dicky Longcocking
Jan 2, 2015
Eat the eggs and let them grow inside you. They need your warmth to survive

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

wilderthanmild posted:

Enjoy your slowly growing population of stinkbugs OP

this is the most exciting thing to happen to me in at least the last 5 years

Dicky Longcocking
Jan 2, 2015

Gay Hitler posted:

this is the most exciting thing to happen to me in at least the last 5 years

Quit your boring office job and become a professional insect breeder. You've found your true passion.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Get a bigass spider and feed the eggs/baby bugs when they emerge to the spider for fun.

Then your coworkers can talk about something cool.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Gay Hitler posted:

this is the most exciting thing to happen to me in at least the last 70 years

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Good bug thread 4/5

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

berserker posted:

Dude it looks like a dying palm tree or maybe a bunch of celery stalks but that ain't no bonsai

Bonsai isn't a species, it's a method for growing retarded little trees in tiny pots. Almost any species can be grown as a bonsai, some just look better than others.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's not child abuse, officer, i'm just growing my son in the traditional nipponese bonsai tradition

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

people flipping out over "invasive species" is dumb as hell. it's called evolution, idiot. the "invasive" quality is just one we attach because we're giant weepy babies

actually if it's a species that is going to be an uncontested success when displaced to a new environment and cause the brutal extinction of many or most of the prior inhabitants it can rightly be called an invasive species.

See also: xenomorphs, europeans. I don't know if stink bugs really live up to that definition though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTdOQjmbAHY

.random
May 7, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Bonsai isn't a species, it's a method for growing retarded little trees in tiny pots. Almost any species can be grown as a bonsai, some just look better than others.

The Protagonist posted:

actually if it's a species that is going to be an uncontested success when displaced to a new environment and cause the brutal extinction of many or most of the prior inhabitants it can rightly be called an invasive species.

Bonsai = invasive species? :tinfoil:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

.random posted:

Bonsai = invasive species? :tinfoil:

bonsai aren't an uncontested success at anything, theyre finicky little dickheads and will die if you look at them wrong

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
name it after your boss

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008
christ UPDATE US MAN what's going on??

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

dog buttz posted:

if you see one, there's twenty in your rear

- mom/orkin commercials

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

BeepBoopBatman posted:

christ UPDATE US MAN what's going on??

the sbugs got em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
We're gonna have some good bug updates tomorrow I bet.

• Locked thread