Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

I just started watching the first season of this show (I've seen the first 5 episodes so far) and I really like it so far. In particular, I like the main character. Usually "willing to forgive everyone" characters are total cliches and do it out of some strict moral code, but Hajime does it from a "everyone has a reason they do the things they do" standpoint. I really like the scene where she says "what if the person driving that speeding car was carrying someone sick or had some other reason they need to hurry?", because I've literally said that exact same thing to people when they complain about bad drivers. Like, sure, there's a 80% chance it's just an rear end in a top hat, but wouldn't you feel like a jerk if you condemned someone who had a legitimate reason for acting that way? I think it might be the first time I've seen that attitude expressed (at least in that particular way) in fiction. It seems like most people I know spend a huge portion of their time talking about how much they dislike others (or how much they think they're bad), and Hajime's attitude is a very refreshing one.

:yeah: :agreed: Excellent!

I hope you enjoy the rest of the show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So I finished season 1. I generally really liked Hajime as a protagonist, but the one issue I had is that her constant cheerfulness is sometimes kinda creepy/disconcerting in situations where countless people are being injured/killed. While you could argue that she is fully aware of how serious the situation is, her behavior could easily be perceived as a lack of empathy by others.

By the way, is it ever explained why X has access to all the city/country's security cameras and stuff? Isn't that some major breach of privacy or something, and how did Rui accomplish that in the first place? Or was X's technological near-omnipresence somehow caused by Katze?

Speaking of the X thing, it seems like the only reason giving Crowds to everyone doesn't result in complete and total disaster is the fact that X is capable of instantly informing people of crimes and routing other Crowds to deal with them. Without X, none of the solutions of the later part of the season would actually work.

edit: Actually, when you think about it, the real solution to season 1 wasn't "giving everyone CROWDS"; it was "being able to gamify everything with the help of an omnipresent AI"

Cerebral Bore posted:

Realtalk here, there's no way that somebody wouldn't have tried to use CROWDS for military purposes about five minutes after it was released to the public. At the very least some enterprising terrorists would have jumped at the opportunity to cause some havoc with relative impunity. Or criminal gangs would have started to make hits on their rivals by way of CROWDS. The sheer potential for misuse is staggering in its implications.

So redhead rear end in a top hat is pretty much on the money, funnily enough, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

Heck, or even some disgruntled teenager. The thing that makes CROWDS so dangerous is its (apparent) anonymity. The main thing that prevents people with guns from being a total disaster (not that it isn't pretty bad as is) is the fact that you will personally face repercussions if you go on a shooting spree. CROWDS is only really kept in check by X, who has way more power than any other character, including all the Gatchmen combined.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 12, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That point about Hajime is actually referenced in the second season.

Hajime IS actually incapable of feeling empathy since she cant really put herself in the position of others entirely. She really cant feel the pain others feel because she's incapable of feeling negative emotions. That does not mean she' cant feel sympathy, she does, which is why she's always actively trying to help others to the point that it may cause her a lot of physical pain, as seen in the end of season 1.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I mean, he is a full-on sentient AI with access to a lot of personal info of people using GALAX. The privacy concerns aren't really explored because hes controlled by a "good guy" and its not the focus of the show's message, but they're still some what there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Apparently X was the "Villain" of the third season of the original Gatchaman, so I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to address those concerns with the next installment of Crowds (assuming there is one).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hajime IS actually incapable of feeling empathy since she cant really put herself in the position of others entirely. She really cant feel the pain others feel because she's incapable of feeling negative emotions. That does not mean she' cant feel sympathy, she does, which is why she's always actively trying to help others to the point that it may cause her a lot of physical pain, as seen in the end of season 1.

So basically Hajime is a benevolent sociopath.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So basically Hajime is a benevolent sociopath.

Shes essentially Buddha. Unironically she's japanese highschool twitter buddha.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Apparently X was the "Villain" of the third season of the original Gatchaman, so I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to address those concerns with the next installment of Crowds (assuming there is one).

I thought that Baron Egobossler (or something like that) was the villain for the third season? Or at least as much as Berg Katse was in the first.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think Egobossler makes a sentient virus called X or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Tonight I will tackle season 2. I've mistakenly come across some vague spoilers (probably the biggest one being that a new alien ends up loving things up through some sort of perverted collectivization or something), but I don't know any specific details about what happens.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That spoiler is rather obvious to begin with. Don't worry about it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Tonight I will tackle season 2. I've mistakenly come across some vague spoilers (probably the biggest one being that a new alien ends up loving things up through some sort of perverted collectivization or something), but I don't know any specific details about what happens.

It was pretty clear that was going to happen from the first episode.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Did you watch the director's cut/real ending of season one? Do that before two, if you haven't. There's no official release, so you'll have to find it on nyaa or wherever.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The real ending is that hajime marries me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you should tag season 3 spoilers

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

I think Egobossler makes a sentient virus called X or something.

Other way around. X was the overarching villain of the first two series, behind Berg-Katse and Gel Sadra, and in the third series he mutates into Leader Z and recruits Count Egobossler to build him an army.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

a kitten posted:

Did you watch the director's cut/real ending of season one? Do that before two, if you haven't. There's no official release, so you'll have to find it on nyaa or wherever.

After being really confused at the last episode and reading the crunchyroll comments, yeah, I did (fortunately). Not only was I originally unclear on the situation with Hajime and Berg Katze, but I hadn't even realized that O.D. defeated Katze; I thought that he just injured him and then Katze won the fight by sneak-stabbing his Note when O.D. moved in for the finishing blow.

By the way, why was Katze able to transform without destroying the planet for that fight? Like, his wings obviously caused some significant collateral damage to the area, but nothing too crazy.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Ytlaya posted:

After being really confused at the last episode and reading the crunchyroll comments, yeah, I did (fortunately). Not only was I originally unclear on the situation with Hajime and Berg Katze, but I hadn't even realized that O.D. defeated Katze; I thought that he just injured him and then Katze won the fight by sneak-stabbing his Note when O.D. moved in for the finishing blow.

By the way, why was Katze able to transform without destroying the planet for that fight? Like, his wings obviously caused some significant collateral damage to the area, but nothing too crazy.

Nah, Katze won that fight, or at least it was a draw, but O.D. grabbed Rui's journal out of him and hurt him enough to keep him from loving around for a couple hours so he got what he was really after.

O.D.'s the one with the planet-wrecking side effects, I always figured that getting stabbed knocked him out of Gatcha mode or that it takes time to REALLY wreck poo poo and he'd be fine fighting for short periods of time in unpopulated areas which just doesn't happen in this series, anything he'd use it for is just too close to civilians or his allies for comfort.

I was halfway expecting him to transform in 11 for the showdown with Fake Sadra but him showing up out of the suit was also a pretty cool gesture, some normal hero standing shoulder-to-shoulder with all the deadly mechsuits.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Alopex posted:

Nah, Katze won that fight, or at least it was a draw, but O.D. grabbed Rui's journal out of him and hurt him enough to keep him from loving around for a couple hours so he got what he was really after.

It seemed pretty clear that Katze could not transform after that fight though, so I was under the impression his Gatchaman-ish form was sufficiently "broken" to where it couldn't be used (at least for a while anyways).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im sure Katze could have transformed if he wanted, its just not in his MO to take a more direct approach to world destruction. It also drives the point that Katze isn't a being you can win against by using violence, since he can overpower anyone that tries that approach.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Except Gelsadra, although Katze never really explained how Gel beat him.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Level Slide posted:

If gel gets everyone on a planet completely agreeing with one another then that's pretty much the opposite of katze's MO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Level Slide posted:

By being cute.

• Locked thread