Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I was reading an article on how SA crashed a confederate apologist facebook group and one of the things posted on it repeatedly was:

"Dale Earnhardt deserved to die"

I highly suspect Viking or someone here would have done that just for trolling purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I don't troll confederate flag posts on FB sorry

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I don't troll confederate flag posts on FB sorry

Like hell you do ;).

Also I also enjoyed the race. I have no problem with Carl Edwards and Kyle Larson needs to run the Mello Yello paint scheme permanently.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

FuzzySkinner posted:

Like hell you do ;).

Also I also enjoyed the race. I have no problem with Carl Edwards and Kyle Larson needs to run the Mello Yello paint scheme permanently.

This season is strange, I'm agreeing with Fuzzy. That #19 team did some serious work to get that car back into the race at all and I think Carl drove it pretty hard to get back into the top 3 and give them a shot at a win. On the second to last restart he got passed by Truex and was back a little bit in 4th. He passed Truex back and closed a decent gap to the #2 and #4 to make it a 3 way battle. Pretty good last 50 laps I'd say.

And yes, Mello Yello forever.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

VikingSkull posted:

"hmmm, that race was pretty good, lemme go see what the thread has to say"

WHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oh, yeah

gently caress Carl Edwards.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
now you know how the rest of us felt when Elliott won

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Peanut President posted:

gently caress Carl Edwards.

*Exciting race, Carl Edwards wins*
Bad Race.

*Boring Race, Dale Earnhardt Jr wins*
Good race.

How was it sharing a booth with fellow poster mischief, Bruton?:smug:

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 7, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

now you know how the rest of us felt when Elliott won

I will tear your loving spine out of you and run you over with your own truck, you goddamn sonofabitch.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I don't know what's exciting about a race that was under caution the whole time.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

I will tear your loving spine out of you and run you over with your own truck, you goddamn sonofabitch.

I'm just glad to know that once Chase gets to Cup they can rip that loving firehorn down

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VikingSkull posted:

I'm just glad to know that once Chase gets to Cup they can rip that loving firehorn down

Oh hell. :vince:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Enfinger is just going full on beast mode this year :stare:

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Whoever called Bowyer to HScott in 2016 and to the 14 in 2017 deserves a prize, because it was just reported on FOX.

e- HScott Motorsports says they're staying at two cars next year and denies this, which means it's going to happen and awaiting announcement.

HScott Motorsports is staying at 2 Cup cars next year, but the rumor I heard involves Allgaier moving back down to Xfinity. No idea if it's with HScott/Ganassi or not.

I really hope this rules package is used next year. That was fun to watch.

A far cry from the Michigan package where NASCAR was literally telling drivers they'd be fined if they talked bad about it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Slickdrac posted:

Enfinger is just going full on beast mode this year :stare:

He was pretty dominant last year too yet still lost the championship.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Clinch scenarios for Richmond:
-McMurray- Clinches by starting the race.
-Newman- 31st, 32nd with a lap led, 33rd leading most laps.
-Gordon- 17th, 18th with a lap led, 19th leading most laps.
-Menard- 9th, 10th with a lap led, 11th leading most laps.
-Bowyer cannot guarantee himself a spot based off a finish alone. (In theory, no new winner plus keeping Kahne and Almirola behind or within a stone's throw in front of him should do it.).

If there's a repeat winner:
-McMurray, Newman, Gordon clinch automatically; finish does not matter.
-Menard- 38th, 39th with a lap led, 40th leading most laps.
-Bowyer- 28th, 29th with a lap led, 30th leading most laps.

Bowyer, Almirola, and Kahne can make the Chase on points without a win, but with major help from drivers above them.

12 drivers must win. Cole Whitt and David Gilliland can make the Chase with a win and help.

Details here: http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/chase-sprint-cup-clinch-scenario-richmond-international-raceway-090815

Muddy Burphy posted:

HScott Motorsports is staying at 2 Cup cars next year, but the rumor I heard involves Allgaier moving back down to Xfinity. No idea if it's with HScott/Ganassi or not.

I really hope this rules package is used next year. That was fun to watch.

A far cry from the Michigan package where NASCAR was literally telling drivers they'd be fined if they talked bad about it.

Claire B. Lang Actually, it's Lee Spencer who Tweeted she's hearing Richard Petty Motorsports is trying to get Bowyer.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 8, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I've heard RPM was going after everyone from Ty Dillon to Clint Bowyer to Chris Buescher. The 9 situation seems to change week to week. Bowyer's 20 or so races of sponsorship is very enticing to any team that needs the money, but my gut tells me that if taking the 51 for a year ends with him in a championship caliber ride in 2017, that's what he'll do.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Good race to 10 to go, lovely ending and limpdick winner. Maybe Carl will get the Triple Crown.

The Roush-Fenway failure was hilarious to watch. Between that, Danica's wreck and Carl stealing a win, you can see the passion for racing drain out of Jack Roush's eye.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Time for Gordon to finish 21st after some stupid pit mistake!

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Good race to 10 to go, lovely ending and limpdick winner. Maybe Carl will get the Triple Crown.

The Roush-Fenway failure was hilarious to watch. Between that, Danica's wreck and Carl stealing a win, you can see the passion for racing drain out of Jack Roush's eye.

I will agree with most of you that it was a drat good race. The ending was only kind of lame because the run up to the finish was seeing some good green flag runs and the tires were dropping off. Despite all of the cautions a ten lap sprint kind of went against the mood of the race, would have been drat interested if it had been even just 15 laps and the tires would have started to fade.

It's still amazing to me how badly Roush is running. They have less momentum right now then other C-Class teams, no obvious up and coming talent to have hope in, no established talent to lean on during these tough times, not even a sponsor-darling that can bring in big bucks despite poor performance. I'm not sure what Roush can do at this point. I feel like they're too far gone to swing for the fences for a big dramatic fix. Instead, they should focus on small incremental improvements and be on a three year plan, but 2018 they should be aiming for consistent top 10s. You've almost got to write off next year already as just another year to try and show a few modest improvements. "Hey, we ran 20th, that sucks. But last year we ran 28th and were lost; this year we had the right idea. Back to the shop for improvements instead of whole sale changes."

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Buescher can contend for wins and doesn't tear up equipment; let's start there.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Buescher is legit and Wallace is still a valuable prospect, but their cup situation is dire, yeah.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Buescher is legit and Wallace is still a valuable prospect, but their cup situation is dire, yeah.
Buescher came in and didn't look lost ala Ragan/Kleuver/Stenhouse, so there's that. If HScott is going to kick Allgaier to the curb, go get him as a stop-gap for one of the cars until Bubba Wallace is ready.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
The problem with a Roush and Allgaier pairing is that Allgaier only brings about $3 million in sponsorship and Roush is known for wanting big money.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The best summation of the Darlington situation I've seen:

quote:

Darlington represents everything iconic about NASCAR—it’s a wicked, historic track that’s a bucket-list win for drivers—but it also serves as a cautionary tale. The track opened in 1950, but in 2004, NASCAR gave Darlington’s coveted, traditional Labor Day date to California, and later Atlanta. The Track Too Tough To Tame had to content itself with other, lesser dates until this year. NASCAR tried to be too much to too many people at the expense of tradition, and a vocal segment of the fanbase didn't much care for the change.

And as for part of the main idea of the article:

quote:

Track officials at Darlington, like Daytona earlier this summer, offered a flag exchange for anyone wishing to trade in their Confederate flag on an American one. The exchange was slated to take place at one of the track’s entrance gates, but four different guards at Gate 39A had no idea that the promotion even existed. The fifth pointed me toward a still-full box of American flags tucked in the corner of a small guardhouse.

“Haven’t seen one given away yet,” the guard said. “I doubt if you do [at all].”

“I was wondering what those were for,” said another.

:allears:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/nascar-s-thorny-throwback-problem--the-confederate-flag-004046532.html

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
keep in mind the core fans in quote A are the same fans in quote B, and then wonder why a 21st century multi-billion dollar corporation is trying to get as far the gently caress away from them as they can

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

a 21st century multi-billion dollar corporation

In what alternate reality is NASCAR a) 21st century or b) multi-billion?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
they have a web 2.0 webpage and NBC is a sucker

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Denny Hamlin tore his ACL again playing basketball, but will continue to race because NASCAR drivers are athletes

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It has been (0) years since the last Denny Hamlin injury

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
eh, depending on how bad it tore, an ACL ain't too much as long as you aren't running or putting lateral stress on it. When I tore mine and the meniscus disc, my leg locked up and wouldn't bend. I could've worked a set of pedals fine.

As a matter of fact, my ACL is still torn, they only fixed the disc because that was shredded and I wasn't playing competitive sports.

Don't huck yourself in a 360 on a BMX and put your leg down when you over-rotate, kids, it sucks.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Muddy Burphy posted:

Denny Hamlin tore his ACL again playing basketball, but will continue to race because NASCAR drivers are athletes

You'd think he'd learn last time playing basketball and doing that. Well bring out the oh poo poo overcoming adversity stuff.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BMB5150 posted:

You'd think he'd learn last time playing basketball and doing that. Well bring out the oh poo poo overcoming adversity stuff.

Didn't they tweak the eligibility rules for the Chase so he could make the Chase even without running all the races? Something about attempting to qualify for each race?

I want to maximize our chances for having a driver who didn't run every race bullshit their way to a title.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
NASCAR can give out exemptions if they want, and the old rule still stands that if a driver takes the green, that driver gets points no matter when he hands the car off.

So really, if push came to shove, someone could qualify and practice the car for him, he could get in and take the green in the race, turn one lap, and bring it in and hand off to someone else.

e- honestly, I'm ok with that. We really shouldn't be making guys race cars at 200mph with their eyes taped open and poo poo in TYOOL 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VikingSkull posted:

Someone could qualify and practice the car for him, he could get in and take the green in the race, turn one lap, and bring it in and hand off to someone else.

CBJSprague24 posted:

he could make the Chase even without running all the races? Something about attempting to qualify for each race?

These are both correct, and is NASCAR.txt.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The take one lap rule has been around basically since the start of NASCAR, I have no issue with it

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

The take one lap rule has been around basically since the start of NASCAR, I have no issue with it

I can think of one issue that I have with it.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I love that both of Almirola's XFinity and Cup wins are asterisks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Harveygod posted:

I can think of one issue that I have with it.

The sponsor paid to have Hamlin behind the wheel, it sucks but business is business. If dipshits didn't park in the wrong spot, he never would have started the race.

e- also if Almirola didn't pout like a bitch and understood the bigger picture, maybe his career stats wouldn't be in the poo poo house

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 9, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

VikingSkull posted:

The sponsor paid to have Hamlin behind the wheel, it sucks but business is business. If dipshits didn't park in the wrong spot, he never would have started the race.

e- also if Almirola didn't pout like a bitch and understood the bigger picture, maybe his career stats wouldn't be in the poo poo house

He threw a fit and left JGR right before their reign of dominance began in the Nationwide Series. That will never not be hilarious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Anyone with half a brain realized that was a lovely situation, but wasn't really Hamlin's or JGR's fault, and he still got bent out of shape about it, it was hysterical. A Milwaukee based company paid for Hamlin to drive at Milwaukee, the entire reason Almirola was even in a car that night was because of that. So he got to lead laps in an otherwise nonexistent car, got to show people that he was capable of running up front, and since he was forced out by lovely circumstances he rage quit a top team to drive for... Ginn Racing.... part time.... with Mark Martin.

I mean, c'mon, that's fuckin' comedy right there.

• Locked thread