Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VikingSkull posted:

The take one lap rule has been around basically since the start of NASCAR, I have no issue with it

You're only eligible for points if you start the race, you're only eligible for the championship if you go out to qualify.

You don't see the joke there? Either rule is fine on it's own, but they are a bit in goofy when combined..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

VikingSkull posted:

Anyone with half a brain realized that was a lovely situation, but wasn't really Hamlin's or JGR's fault, and he still got bent out of shape about it, it was hysterical. A Milwaukee based company paid for Hamlin to drive at Milwaukee, the entire reason Almirola was even in a car that night was because of that. So he got to lead laps in an otherwise nonexistent car, got to show people that he was capable of running up front, and since he was forced out by lovely circumstances he rage quit a top team to drive for... Ginn Racing.... part time.... with Mark Martin.

I mean, c'mon, that's fuckin' comedy right there.

If Almirola doesn't throw a fit and quit he probably gets the 20 when Stewart leaves and Logano gets proper time to develop.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slickdrac posted:

You're only eligible for points if you start the race, you're only eligible for the championship if you go out to qualify.

You don't see the joke there? Either rule is fine on it's own, but they are a bit in goofy when combined..

I'm slipping today, but yeah, you're right it is a bit goofy. The qualifying one is dumb as poo poo, anyone should be able to qualify the car, but if another driver starts the race they start at the back. It should have no bearing on Chase eligibility. The starting driver rule is great to prevent drivers from racing injured or sick, though. That's a great rule.

Muddy Burphy posted:

If Almirola doesn't throw a fit and quit he probably gets the 20 when Stewart leaves and Logano gets proper time to develop.

Eh, he probably would've had a great shot at an Xfinity title or two, but the 20 was Logano's from the get-go. More likely is that Almirola proves himself with some wins and maybe a title, and gets the 4th car when JGR expanded.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The four-headed monster of Stewart, Busch, Hamlin, and Logano ran all but one NXS race for JGR in 2008. I don't think Almirola was going to get a full-time NXS ride with Gibbs unless he bounced around between their cars when Buschwacking and Sliced Bread didn't stand in his way.

Brad Coleman only ran 14 more races for JGR after the end of 2007, and it'd be two years before he got another shot.

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR can give out exemptions if they want, and the old rule still stands that if a driver takes the green, that driver gets points no matter when he hands the car off.

So really, if push came to shove, someone could qualify and practice the car for him, he could get in and take the green in the race, turn one lap, and bring it in and hand off to someone else.

e- honestly, I'm ok with that. We really shouldn't be making guys race cars at 200mph with their eyes taped open and poo poo in TYOOL 2015

Yeah, I knew that and I agree with that rule. What I wondered about was this:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2015/2/18/rule-bulletin-chase-for-the-nascar-sprint-cup-eligibility.html

It used to be "attempt to qualify" to be Chase eligible. Now it's "must start" and, failing that, attempted to qualify. In essence, "if one of our stars can't run, we're going to create a caveat anyway".

VikingSkull posted:

The sponsor paid to have Hamlin behind the wheel, it sucks but business is business.

...and this is why the number of current, really solid "prospects" in the cupboard in the lower series can be counted on one hand. Blaney, Buescher, Bubba, Elliott, Jones.

e- And even then, Buescher and Bubba's futures ride on sponsorship and whether or not Roush is a flaming trash fire in a couple years.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 10, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, looking at the Trucks which have less Buschwhackers on average, sometimes having Cup drivers in the race is necessary to have a full field.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Well, looking at the Trucks which have less Buschwhackers on average, sometimes having Cup money, R&D access and shared expenses in the race is necessary to have a full field.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
start and parks give you a full field and are better for the sport

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nate Ryan explains why NASCAR is dumb for saying they want to be entertaining at all costs, but not going to the low downforce package for the Chase: http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2015/09/09/ryan-low-downforce-should-be-high-priority-in-chase/

I get snarky on Twitter:

quote:

@nateryan @MonteDutton @NBCSports @NASCAR is bothered by completely changing the rules with 10 races to go in a season. The irony.

...and at least one person appreciates it.

quote:

Brad Keselowski ‏@keselowski 2h2 hours ago
@CBJSprague24 @nateryan @MonteDutton @NBCSports @NASCAR ok. This made me laugh.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 10, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
changing rules midseason, even for the better, is dumb. start it next year and run a consistent package

go3 posted:

start and parks give you a full field and are better for the sport

lol

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 10, 2015

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
What's the deal with SRA and the NASFACTS account? Why is that account such a fan of Jerry Seinfeld Gallagher?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Change the rules weekly. Pick them out of a hat, or do it Mad Libs style

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

keevo posted:

What's the deal with SRA and the NASFACTS account? Why is that account such a fan of Jerry Seinfeld Gallagher?

Probably just because he follows it, if I were to guess

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Brad Coleman only ran 14 more races for JGR after the end of 2007, and it'd be two years before he got another shot.

Brad Coleman ran for JGR when he brought money. He left JGR for the 2008 season to run the 27 for Baker Curb Racing but ended up leaving. He quit driving a few years ago and started up a really successful driver's ed program in Texas.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ned Jarrett had cancer, but is apparently cancer-free now:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2015/9/10/ned-jarrett-recovering-from-cancer.html

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Kes is excited about an ultra low downforce car that was tested in windtunnel. Hmmm is NASCAR doing something right?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BMB5150 posted:

Kes is excited about an ultra low downforce car that was tested in windtunnel. Hmmm is NASCAR doing something right?

probably not

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Cubey posted:

probably not
The spring Richmond race is going back to Sunday afternoon, so there's that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

Call me crazy but it looks like they listened to what I've said for years. No spoiler, wider tires.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They need to dump that splitter for a valance too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Eh, they should, but the splitter isn't responsible for near as much turbulent air as the spoiler. Besides, having extra downforce on the nose will let the drivers steer out of the inevitable loose conditions in the turns with the lack of rear downforce, maybe get some nice dirt track-style action going on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was some nice visibly loose action at Darlington that was enjoyable in that last interrupted green run in particular.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Diffey- "And drama here...Jeremy Clements."
Edwards- "Did you say there was drummer out there?"
LD- "C'mon, you've been to Australia."

(During replays) Edwards- "Man, that is drummer right there."

Horseface is pretty unlikable, but that was good stuff. :roflolmao:

He'd later use the term "Drahmer" at Diffey's expense.

e-

I want that Sam Hornish, Jr. 2015 Chase hat.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 12, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Competition caution at lap 40.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Was Richmond supposed to use the low downforce package or am i imagining things.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm finally getting round to watching my first ever race tonight, so if somebody could furnish me with a good stream (hooky or otherwise) I'd be really grateful.

edit: will it be good?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

thehustler posted:

Nope.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

thehustler posted:

I'm finally getting round to watching my first ever race tonight, so if somebody could furnish me with a good stream (hooky or otherwise) I'd be really grateful.

we'll set you up in IRC

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey Boomer, where have we heard this before?

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-urging-fans-to-join-the-battle-in-this-year-s-chase/

Hey, come talk racing live with goons! And probably football and some other stuff: https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#nascar@irc.synirc.net

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 13, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Considering that was the promo from the season from hell, it's fitting.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Caution for debris.

Great, get this garbage off the track and put something better on.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lurkers, the above is why IRC sucks pretty bad usually anymore

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

e-

I want that Sam Hornish, Jr. 2015 Chase hat.

Dibs on Cole Whitt's.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Juan Pablo McDowell

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Juan Pablo McDowell

God was too busy celebrating the finish of the Notre Dame game to safely guide him around the clean up truck. A shame since he delivered the invocation tonight.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ej15AcI0Dw

he did that hook and go down the hill, man

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What do you suppose the odds are that nascar watches the long green flag runs from this week compared to last week and decides to put the low downforce package in for the chase?

Probably slim to none but I can dream.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wafflz posted:

What do you suppose the odds are that nascar watches the long green flag runs from this week compared to last week and decides to put the low downforce package in for the chase?

Probably slim to none but I can dream.

They already said they won't which is understandable but still means that the last 10 races are kind of a bust.

They will probably do it next year unless they decide that even more downforce totally means that Atlanta will turn into Talladega-like pack racing or some poo poo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kentucky and Darlington were like going to a strip club, you see all this awesome stuff and then suddenly you're just drunk in the car with a buncha dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kenseth jumped the poo poo out of that restart.

• Locked thread