Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

Camping World's CEO is pissed at Trump for his comments about Mexicans and wants/is demanding NASCAR to move the Truck banquet away from where they currently have it, which is apparently a Trump property.

E- Apparently, Camping World executives were going to boycott the banquet if it remained there. It looks like it and the Xfinity banquet have just been moved.

Oh I hear another lawsuit for Trump to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

NBC seems to be pretty good at covering auto racing.

They've made some mistakes, but it's so much more enjoyable to watch then Fox.

I like Rick Allen for his over enthusiasm makes the race entertaining. Both Steve and Jeff do a good job explaining and not being a loving gimmick.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Hahaha knew Scott was way too good for being in 1st.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

So who is left? Kahne and Dillon and scrubs in the back?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

We live in an age of DVR and smart phones, lets do this tomorrow and we can DVR it or if you're able to watch from a smart phone from work.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Ungratek posted:

NBC cameras are so much better than Fox

I'd say part of it is the camera's can't be on top anymore due to construction so lot more closer to the cars and vary up what you can see what's on the front stretch. I do like the backstretch on the catch fencing one. They need to do a stationary one on like the turns and have them zip by. NBC had one at Talladega and it owned.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cubey posted:

Brian Scott almost succeeded there. Try again buddy, I know you can do it!

Think he just succeeded.

e: Nope he tried to go under Edwards instead.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Whoa there NBC, don't wanna be worse than Fox with that itchy commercial finger.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Literally hit a car sized divot.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

HOLY poo poo DILLON.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

That was some Neil Bonnett poo poo right there but loving faster. Was going to sleep right at the finish, but I'm now loving awake.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Genocide Tendency posted:

That last shot by the 2 is like a "gently caress you Dillon" insult.

What the gently caress was he doing, ARCA levels of what the gently caress. You see tons of smoke slow the gently caress down and come to a crawl. :wtc:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress it lets get a dart board and change the numbers and add rules to it. Indy if they can keep close enough in the turns for the draft to work it could work like the 500. Michigan... Hmmm maybe but again need to be close to use sling shots. Honestly just loving do it and let's see what happens, this year's package is poo poo so why not heave poo poo.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

A little racier and would think beginning of the race wouldn't tell that much since everyone is still trying to come to terms to this package. End of the race should tell more but it does seem like they can be closer, be more competitive and make passes and make pit strategy be key more so then stay out and hope 10 others do and you win the race.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's good to see the dominant car tear up through the field as he should and Kes is doing that. Before this you go back in the pack it's a real chore even for the best car.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah if Gordon is making a 3 wide down the middle move, I think this is a fun package cause I've never seen that in a long long time.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Cubey posted:

Watched the last ten laps to see this new killer package, it was identical to any other ten laps from any other 1.5 mile track. You people are out of your minds.

Kind of missed the pretty awesome battle at 20 to go and cars actually passing and racing then got spread out when you watched. Need to work on that but honestly 100x better than the poo poo we've seen this year.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

The amount of cautions was a bit ridiculous. Some were legit, some were for "debris". The worst was the caution at lap 19. That should have been the competition caution. Instead they pushed the competition caution to lap 30. They restarted at lap like 24 I think? Whenever it was it was less than 10 laps of green flag racing before the competition caution. That was a loving stupid idea.

Other than that I didn't think it was that bad. The middle of the race had that kind of mid race nap kind of feel but the last half was good. You could see the cars were actually able to pass more and even Kyle reiterated that in his post race interview saying he could actually work around Logano to pass him instead of getting stalled out and stuck behind him like with the old package. Overall I think it is a step in the right direction as well. Just because the last 10 laps didn't rank in the top 5 race finishes doesn't mean its a bad package. They're still learning it and I'd think the racing will get better than worse over the next few weeks...but then again NASCAR has fooled me before.

The problem is this package will only be used at Richmond and Darlington unless the drivers yell loud enough I suppose. A different much much more draggy package will be used at Michigan and Indy. But the package we've had this year will be raced in the rest of the races.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Shows how much I actually listen to the commentary. For some reason I thought this was going to be the package going forward, guess I have to listen a little more closely.

Maybe next year they'll go to this package. I think it'll be interesting the 4 races with the 2 new packages and see how they run. high drag with that wicker could cause less air on the spoiler which would in a way lose downforce for leading cars equalizing everyone but it's tough to say. Darlington will have everyone slamming into the wall if they don't get a softer tire developed though which would be funny.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Apparently NASCARs using the superspeedway qualifying format at Indy and Michigan, to go with the high downforce drafting packages. :ramsay:

Probably don't want bullshit they had a Daytona earlier this year if the draft is going to be key.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

L_Harrison posted:

They're going to be making so much downforce that the tires are going to shred. Commence more Goodyear shenanigans.

Yesssss lets do 08 Indy again.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Having a tire issue at Talladega after it's repave was peak Hoosier. Goodyear's Brickyard shitstorm wasn't as dumb as that.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

To be fair tires of all brands were complete poo poo in the bias ply era

That was Hoosier in 2008 or 2009 having tire problems at Talladega. Reminds me Stenhouse almost flipped in that race and Scott Speed had a big wreck too I think.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Solution: Make Cup cars based on current GT cars. Mustang, Camaro and Challenger based. Tell Toyota they can use a Camry with the current NASCAR spec V8, but in 5 years time must have a new GT class RWD V8 car or they can pound sand. 358c.i. limit, OHV 2 valve per cylinder engines. Chevy, Ford and Dodge have 5 years to develop new GT cars if they think they can make a better platform. You get new stuff relevant from the companies, you drop speeds by about 20mph and you make tires that wear out. Bam, NASCAR is good again

I'm down with this. Toyota could always go to Lexus and develop a successor to the LFA with those specs. Change the V10 to a V8 and little more styling cues to the big 3s pony cars.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ricky Craven gets philosophical:

Would I call the core fan base having logic, common sense, and even pragmatic? Well then again NASCAR lacks this and here we are about to have a race that rivals 2000 New Hampshire or 2008 Indy.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Hopefully he can keep this momentum up for the rest of the season. He kind of has to if he wants to win it all. It'd be funny having a champion who basically ran a half season.

This high drag package seemed like mostly a bust. The cars still drove like poo poo and had the added problem of high engine temperatures to keep an eye on. I didn't notice a great deal of added excitement to the racing. Indy is usually a crap race anyway with the cars just getting spread out and playing fuel mileage and this drag package didn't seem to help at all. The draft did seem to be greater but I don't think it brought enough to the on track product to warrant it being put to use on the regular.

I'd say this package could work at a multigroove track where you can draft well and then use different lines to get around and not one single line. Indy should've used no spacer (spacer should never be there) and lower downforce. Be closer to each other and work on each other moreover then try slingshots. This could possibly work at Michigan but I'd say put on the lower downforce and call it good.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Genocide Tendency posted:

If someone can rattle off 4 wins in 9 races after breaking his leg, I can't bitch about him being title eligible.

Its not like he pissed hot for meth or he slept through the start of the season. He got hurt.

Frankly Kyle is more deserving than someone who ran 8-15th every week and managed to outpoint the powerhouse talent that is Aric Almirola.

Yeah I have no problem him getting into the chase with the tear he's gone on. If the chase is about winning and keeping him out would be dumb. He still needs to get to the top 30 but it seems like a forgone conclusion he will get in the top 30 next week. The question is can he keep the momentum through the chase. Just ask Jeff Gordon for tearing through the first 26 or so races and coast in the last 10.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

So Kyle won 4 of the last 5, who was the last driver to do that? I say it's Jimmie Johnson in 07 when he won 4 straight, but people on Facebook are torn between either Petty's 10 straight (13 straight in one dudes head) or Pearson when he won 4 of 5 5 separate times in '73, which is odd since he only ran 18 races in 73

inbreeding is a real problem

Yeah I saw that too. Then again it was NASCAR pre 72 so I don't know if they're doing that. In that span Gordon did it and hell I think NBC even showed guys doing that.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Kasey Kahne:

Overrated or not? Asking for a friend.

Well compared what he was supposed to be yes. What he is now no one is making him seem like he is in the upper echelon of drivers. Doesn't help his teammates kick his rear end week in and week out and all have much more success than he does.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

fuseshock posted:

What happened at the end? Thought Joey and Busch were pretty clear out of anyone?

Everyone ran out. Gordon was 14th with 2 to go, he finished 3rd because fuel. Very reminiscent of 2006 Kansas.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

That owns. Oh of course it's Tommy Drissi.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is Gordon still 58 to the good over 17th? Am I mathing right under Super Chase rules?

Yeah he's fine if repeat winners win or he wins. If someone else wins, he's less than 10 from the cut off. Could well be to get in the chase if you're out on points is winning and be the only way.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

mearn posted:

White Baby Ruth car or bust imo

Go for the first stock car ever. All white, red numbers. Stamp a 3M logo and boom retro scheme.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Blame 3M. They're dumb for not jumping on board with something. gently caress they probably something that'll go good in blue for the Bill Davis car in 91, 92 car could work, flames would be a little different for 3M but they could've done it. Also is this the first time Ned and Ken were in a booth together since 97 if no the 500?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Joy went to the booth at CBS at either the Talladega 97 fall race or the 98 500, so probably.

Last time in a cup race those 2 were in a booth was 1997 at Michigan. Joy started in October at Talladega. Not sure of any truck or busch races on CBS with Ned and Ken.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Muddy Burphy posted:

Denny Hamlin tore his ACL again playing basketball, but will continue to race because NASCAR drivers are athletes

You'd think he'd learn last time playing basketball and doing that. Well bring out the oh poo poo overcoming adversity stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Kes is excited about an ultra low downforce car that was tested in windtunnel. Hmmm is NASCAR doing something right?

• Locked thread