Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

ayn rand hand job posted:

Why does Ryan loving Newman have the only normal shaped head in those pictures

Well he doesn't have that pesky neck that all the other drivers have to mess up the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I think that a Sunday night race after a long holiday weekend is stupid to begin with but this is really getting stupid. I know we live in a dvr world, and I'll be watching it via dvr, but 11:35pm start time for one of the better races of the season is just plain lovely for anybody not able to watch it later and who has to return to reality tomorrow making the option of staying up until 4am a bad plan

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

The amount of cautions was a bit ridiculous. Some were legit, some were for "debris". The worst was the caution at lap 19. That should have been the competition caution. Instead they pushed the competition caution to lap 30. They restarted at lap like 24 I think? Whenever it was it was less than 10 laps of green flag racing before the competition caution. That was a loving stupid idea.

Other than that I didn't think it was that bad. The middle of the race had that kind of mid race nap kind of feel but the last half was good. You could see the cars were actually able to pass more and even Kyle reiterated that in his post race interview saying he could actually work around Logano to pass him instead of getting stalled out and stuck behind him like with the old package. Overall I think it is a step in the right direction as well. Just because the last 10 laps didn't rank in the top 5 race finishes doesn't mean its a bad package. They're still learning it and I'd think the racing will get better than worse over the next few weeks...but then again NASCAR has fooled me before.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

The problem is this package will only be used at Richmond and Darlington unless the drivers yell loud enough I suppose. A different much much more draggy package will be used at Michigan and Indy. But the package we've had this year will be raced in the rest of the races.

Shows how much I actually listen to the commentary. For some reason I thought this was going to be the package going forward, guess I have to listen a little more closely.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kyle's gonna make the Chase on a stupid exemption In The Spirit of The Rule and has a fairly strong chance at winning it despite running 20-some races. I love it.

Hopefully he can keep this momentum up for the rest of the season. He kind of has to if he wants to win it all. It'd be funny having a champion who basically ran a half season.

This high drag package seemed like mostly a bust. The cars still drove like poo poo and had the added problem of high engine temperatures to keep an eye on. I didn't notice a great deal of added excitement to the racing. Indy is usually a crap race anyway with the cars just getting spread out and playing fuel mileage and this drag package didn't seem to help at all. The draft did seem to be greater but I don't think it brought enough to the on track product to warrant it being put to use on the regular.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

I'd say this package could work at a multigroove track where you can draft well and then use different lines to get around and not one single line. Indy should've used no spacer (spacer should never be there) and lower downforce. Be closer to each other and work on each other moreover then try slingshots. This could possibly work at Michigan but I'd say put on the lower downforce and call it good.

Yeah good point. Maybe it'll work better at Michigan but it sounded like the cars really didn't drive well in traffic today. I guess we'll find out.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Muddy Burphy posted:

Kasey is useless unless his car starts off dominant.

As a fan of his I will agree that is usually the case. His rookie year made me a fan of his, something like 5 2nd place finishes and a couple of them were those really great side by side win by a nose finishes and I had high hopes for him. Aside from that 6 win season he's been kind of underwhelming especially if you look at him in terms of being a championship contender but I still get excited when he has the shot at the win.

Plus we all know the 4th car at Hendrick is the one left out, it always has been. Not saying he'd be doing better at Roush or anything but he is probably 4th in line over there.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Penske wants Ryan Blaney in Cup next year full-time, possibly in a Penske/Wood Brothers combo meal of rides.

This was particularly cool:

I think he's shown he can handle it for the most part. He's had a couple good runs this year, of course mixed with some bad runs and some unlucky DNQ's but I think that's all you can expect from a part time driver whether or not he's a rookie. I think he's shown more on intermediate tracks than anybody in the Rousch stable. I hope it works out for him.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Loving all these off the beaten path throwbacks that are surfacing.

Roush/Fenway really missed the mark with Biffle's car though. Shoulda been this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Like hell you do ;).

Also I also enjoyed the race. I have no problem with Carl Edwards and Kyle Larson needs to run the Mello Yello paint scheme permanently.

This season is strange, I'm agreeing with Fuzzy. That #19 team did some serious work to get that car back into the race at all and I think Carl drove it pretty hard to get back into the top 3 and give them a shot at a win. On the second to last restart he got passed by Truex and was back a little bit in 4th. He passed Truex back and closed a decent gap to the #2 and #4 to make it a 3 way battle. Pretty good last 50 laps I'd say.

And yes, Mello Yello forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Man I was so excited about the Chase field being set I didn't get to finish watching the race until last night! loving bore. Can Teresa Earnhardt bring "The Button" back except this time use it when Kenseth is on his way to bore marching through these races when nothing else interesting is happening. I guess good on him for having a super dominant car but holy boring. Good for Almirola though. That was fun, watching him and that team slowly improve their car and get it to the front. They did everything they needed to do to make the chase...except of course finishing marginally better in 2 or 3 races before Richmond. But it was still fun to watch him. I would have loved to see a Petty car make it with everybody else essentially leaving back markers and Roush on the outside looking in.

• Locked thread