Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Uncle Jam posted:

I wonder how much the NASCAR demographic crosses over the Women's World Cup demo cause they're going head to head Sunday night.

There's probably less crossover than with the "going outside and blowing poo poo up" demographic, so they'll still come out ahead by running Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

It's Central Florida in summer, it looks like that literally every afternoon down there. Race might get delayed a bit depending on how long the storms hang around over the speedway, but they'll fizzle out for sure once it gets dark.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Just watched the race finally, and holy poo poo. How someone (or a lot of someones) didn't end up dead there, I have no idea. Dillon basically hit some steel posts and cables hard enough to tear the engine and transmission right out of the car. :psypop: I saw at least one or two failed cables in the fence as well; if he hadn't hit the post first, that would have pretty much been Le Mans '55.

When they first showed Dillon's car I couldn't figure out how in the hell he'd ended up sitting at the end of pit road, given that he was running with the leaders and the wreck happened after the line. I think he traveled maybe a few hundred feet at most from the time he hit the fence until he came to a stop on the apron before Kes piled in. Guessing the peak Gs were probably less than Sadler's Pocono crash, since the fence did give a lot, but that's still a ridiculously short stop from almost 200MPH. Still can't believe he just hopped out and walked away under his own power, though I have to think he's got a pretty good concussion at least.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The racing really looked a lot better than any we've seen at a 1.5-mile track in a while. They still got spread out eventually, but it seemed to be a more natural spread due to handling differences instead of faster cars just stalling out as soon as they got close to the next car. Guys in the back who were just a little bit faster could actually close up on the car in front, ride their bumper for a while, and either get 'em a little loose or just get a little run somewhere and take another line to pass 'em.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Rick seems a bit rusty. Fumbled some promos, got tongue-tied, called Kyle Junyer.

I'm pretty sure he also called him Hamlin earlier during one of the battles for the lead after a restart. The coverage was pretty good aside from a few flubs by the booth guys, though. They spent a lot of time showing battles throughout the pack and other interesting things happening instead of watching the leader drive away by himself for thirty laps at a time.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I don't know why NASCAR is struggling so much with the car designs. It should be pretty obvious that if you want more passing at the bigger tracks, you want to have a combination of low downforce and high drag, with a little more power/throttle response and some better mechanical grip to keep the cars more drivable. Not really hard to implement, either; a flatter nose (with no splitter or other aero components), a more vertical spoiler, maybe even a roof rail of some sort like the early 2000s plate package. Lose the tapered spacer and add some softer (and maybe even wider) tires for more grip. Voila, now you have a bigger draft and less loss of grip when behind another car in the corner, allowing cars to close in and actually make passes instead of stalling out half a second behind the other guy.

Hell, just look at the great races the trucks have had at the 1.5-mile tracks, especially back when they were even boxier and less aerodynamic (thanks, CAFE). It's obviously possible to create a package that allows for good racing at those tracks; why NASCAR can't use the aero properties of the trucks as inspiration for their Cup/Busch aero changes is beyond me (unless they literally don't know why the trucks put on good races at those tracks, which I suppose is actually possible...)

• Locked thread