Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Insane to think that Daytona could be that quiet after a Dale Jr win, but even after it was clear Dillon was fine all the fun had just been zapped out of the win.

And you just know that accident struck too close to home for Jr for many different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Oh yea, definitely better to do it tonight.

And it's only a matter of time until a car does get into the stands. The fences are doing their job, and doing it very well, but they weren't designed to take a direct blow like that and then hold in a second car. At some point two cars will get into the fence together and it will be catastrophic, like Congressional hearing catastrophic. It wouldn't have taken much more for a second car to get up and into the fence tonight in the same accident.

If NASCAR isn't going to radically re-imagine the rule packages for plate races then they need to build a bigger fence and move the fans further away from the track.

Even with the crazy advancements in car safety I thought it was very likely that Austin Dillon was seriously hurt- maybe even gravely hurt. However, I was not floored when he got up and walked away. As much as we hate on NASCAR we should give them credit for building unbelievably safe cars.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I don't think the fans are so attached to it that you couldn't change the rules. While pack racing is a ton of fun to watch (even us jaded fans in chat were loving it) I think everyone would be open to better ideas; it's just that we haven't had any creativity in a long time.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

BMB5150 posted:

Everyone ran out. Gordon was 14th with 2 to go, he finished 3rd because fuel. Very reminiscent of 2006 Kansas.

I've enjoyed NBC's coverage, but this was not hit on enough I feel. Gordon and Jr were running way back with 3 to go and finished 3rd and 4th, the number of people running out of gas was huge and was barely discussed. Seriously, almost everyone in the top 15 with three to go either stopped or ran out, it completely screwed the finishing order.

Kudos to NASCAR, they've made Pocono interesting for like 3 years straight. The six prior years it was drat near unwatchable.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

Honestly I think they just didn't have the time to hit on everyone, it was a pretty hectic few minutes.

Yea, you're probably right, but I still think it was a missed opportunity. Maybe a bit more post-race coverage would have gone a long ways in explaining what happened in the last three laps. Either way, when I looked up at the final finishing order and saw that it was nothing like I expected I was hoping for a greater explanation.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
To be honest I missed a stretch of 20 laps and only got back in time to see the final 15 laps, so I missed some of the buildup.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Kurt Busch is engaged.

Let that sink in...

After what this guy has been through I'm not sure I would be rushing into another relationship.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Good race to 10 to go, lovely ending and limpdick winner. Maybe Carl will get the Triple Crown.

The Roush-Fenway failure was hilarious to watch. Between that, Danica's wreck and Carl stealing a win, you can see the passion for racing drain out of Jack Roush's eye.

I will agree with most of you that it was a drat good race. The ending was only kind of lame because the run up to the finish was seeing some good green flag runs and the tires were dropping off. Despite all of the cautions a ten lap sprint kind of went against the mood of the race, would have been drat interested if it had been even just 15 laps and the tires would have started to fade.

It's still amazing to me how badly Roush is running. They have less momentum right now then other C-Class teams, no obvious up and coming talent to have hope in, no established talent to lean on during these tough times, not even a sponsor-darling that can bring in big bucks despite poor performance. I'm not sure what Roush can do at this point. I feel like they're too far gone to swing for the fences for a big dramatic fix. Instead, they should focus on small incremental improvements and be on a three year plan, but 2018 they should be aiming for consistent top 10s. You've almost got to write off next year already as just another year to try and show a few modest improvements. "Hey, we ran 20th, that sucks. But last year we ran 28th and were lost; this year we had the right idea. Back to the shop for improvements instead of whole sale changes."

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Bad News: I turned 30 today. I moved from one census age cohort to an older one. I don't like it.

Good News: I'm officially going to Loudon in two weeks with my dad. I know that race isn't one of our favorites but it will be cool to go do something different. Anyone have any experience at the track?

My vote goes for NASCAR 2015 (Chase): Are you ready for some football?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
We'll be on the extreme end of the front stretch coming out of four near the top. My only concern is visibility of the cars as they come through the center of 3 and 4.

• Locked thread